The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

Anyasnake

I don't like P/C's SD at all. I understand using non-traditional Latin music to create something new, and I think V/M does well with the concept. But, P/C's Latin Ed Sheeran:rolleyes:. I still don't understand the massive hype around this team.
As a fan of P/C I wish you liked them, but maybe they'll convince you next season/quad :) (not the programs, the skaters of course :D)

To go back to the Shibs :

I often say these days that 4 teams stands out for me : V/M, P/C, Shibs ans H/D. Shibs for me still have an edge on H/D because their execution is cleaner (and I think they edge them out on PCS). C/B had level issues, but after seeing their SD (which has great potential), I'm not as sold on step sequences and elements (except that amazing lift) as I am on the other 2 US teams. The "issue" with C/B is that they have 2 weeks before their 2nd GP.
As of today still, Shibs are U.S. no.1 in the eye of the judges, and they'll work really hard to stay there. (I like Shibs AS MUCH AS H/D by the way).
And those who thinks that H/D might get it because they prefer their skating : execution MATTERS. And as long as Shibs do it squeaky clean, judges won't reward anything else. Execution IS part of the Skating Skills, and no teams can beat Shibs at that game. None.

MRani

Shibs have my favorite SD 3 seasons in a row now. Maybe I’m biased or maybe their programs were that good haha :respec:.
V/M have my second favorite because I’m a sucker for Hotel California and their skating is amazing in that SD.
Kana and Chris have my 3rd favorite because she’s just a star.

I can’t quite take P/C’s SD seriously because that music is just SO contrived. It makes their choreography look contrived to me too. But I think they’re an amazing team and I do love how they both seem to genuinely enjoy skating this program. I didn’t get that sense from their previous SDs so that’s nice to see. And I think Gabriella really shines in this program too.

For C/B, I like the music and I like their dancing but those two things didn’t come together for me in this program yet. It came off as messy for some reason. Stellar lift though and I loved how Evan particularly came alive towards the end.

Honorable mentions for W/P and H/D SDs. :cheer:

BittyBug

Disgusted
The NY Times has an article on Olympic gear that uses a (different) photo of Maia and Alex:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/fashion/olympics-ralph-lauren-burton.html

chapis

Cayuse

It seems that they appeared briefly in some tv news http://unoqlo.tumblr.com/post/167164265400/brother-sister-ice-dancing-teams-are-rare-and-the
Brother-sister ice dancing teams are rare and the Shib Sibs have dealt with their fair share of doubters. But Maia and Alex both say they wouldn’t want to skate with anyone else.”

That comment reminds me of http://us-ice-dance.tumblr.com/post/167042036755/from-gettysports-instagram-story-1112017
I want a big brother like Alex!

Spun Silver

Apologies if this has already been posted: Maia, Alex, and their dogs are partnering with Smucker's and their Milk Bone brand for the Winter Olympics. :cheer2:

http://www.jmsmucker.com/investor-relations/smuckers-financial-news-releases/article/2313213
Parenthetically: I have always felt bad that I dont eat jam and cant support Smuckers much in return for all its support of skating. Sometimes I have bought their sugarless jam and still dont eat it. I’m just not a jam person. I slso wondered how they could afford to sponsor skating so much since hardly anyone I know eats jam either. But now I find they own Bustelo Coffee, Pillsbury, 9 Lives and Meow Mix. I have supported Smucker’s quite a lot over the years without knowing it! And I learned this thanks to reading that Maia and Alex are “partnering with Milk Bone.” Who knew? No more jam buying, thank heavens!

Sorry for the distraction. Great for Maia and Alex.

sap5

VGThuy

OT, but I've read that Teen Vogue and Cosmo Girl and other teen magazines have actually stepped up their game in journalism and talk about political, social, and racial issues most adult publications don't touch.

sap5

OT, but I've read that Teen Vogue and Cosmo Girl and other teen magazines have actually stepped up their game in journalism and talk about political, social, and racial issues most adult publications don't touch.

But you've read that somewhere other than in those magazines?

VGThuy

No, people have spoken about it outside those magazines. I did a skim a few months ago and I actually was impressed with the nuance they spoke about a lot of racial issues and police brutality.

MRani

OT of the OT (so I guess this is actually on topic? Lol), but I just saw the Shibs on the team USA IG story and it was pretty cute. They made an amusing joke about people always mistaking them for twins. I remember some commentators calling them twins over the years.

On topic of the OT, I think it’s awesome that magazines and news platforms aimed towards teenagers and young adults are addressing these issues. Young people these days are more politically minded than some would think, and these issues are definitely on our minds. My younger sister who’s a freshman in high school thinks way more about these things than I did when I was in high school.

VGThuy

OT of the OT (so I guess this is actually on topic? Lol), but I just saw the Shibs on the team USA IG story and it was pretty cute. They made an amusing joke about people always mistaking them for twins. I remember some commentators calling them twins over the years.

On topic of the OT, I think it’s awesome that magazines and news platforms aimed towards teenagers and young adults are addressing these issues. Young people these days are more politically minded than some would think, and these issues are definitely on our minds. My younger sister who’s a freshman in high school thinks way more about these things than I did when I was in high school.

Just speaking about Teen Vogue specifically, here is a write up from The Atlantic and NYTimes about the shift towards politics and social issues:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/510374/

https://www.google.com/amp/nytlive....its-miley-cyrus-for-changing-the-culture/amp/

It seemed to be conscious decision by Editor-in-Chief Elaine Welterworth.

MRani

Just speaking about Teen Vogue specifically, here is a write up from The Atlantic and NYTimes about the shift towards politics and social issues:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/510374/

https://www.google.com/amp/nytlive....its-miley-cyrus-for-changing-the-culture/amp/

It seemed to be conscious decision by Editor-in-Chief Elaine Welterworth.

Thank you for both of these links! I really appreciate how this seems to be a concerted effort by Teen Vogue’s current leadership to break down the stereotypes of what young people, and particularly young girls, are interested in. I love how Elaine Welterworth (that was her speaking in the embedded clip in the second link, right?) talked about the idea in our society that young women can’t be interested in both beauty/fashion and politics/education. It’s nice to see that idea proved false by Teen Vogue’s current success with their political and social content.

I think I’ll forward these to my sister too. I don’t know if she already reads Teen Vogue but if not this seems right up her alley. And I’m also very interested to go read their “Trump is Gaslighting America” article.

OT 3.0: I didn’t get to say this in the Dance Hall thread because I was late to the party but congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I hope your day is amazing and wishing you lots of happiness. :)

chapis

Alex now has 100,000 followers on Instagram! :cheer:

Maia reached it some time ago. She's up to 118,000 now. :D

Thanks God, poor Alex asked for more followers in Maia's instagram stories and Live instagram . Like he doesn`t understand why Maia has more followers :lol:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information