The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

Anyasnake

Is it a "mistake" for C/B to compete only 3 months before the Games ? Or it could be strategic to have something that's a bit more fresh, since they are the last one to go. But changing your FD is a big deal though, I don't know if it's anything strategic.
And I can't wait for US nationals now !
(I also don't get the hate for them...)

chapis

Is it a "mistake" for C/B to compete only 3 months before the Games ? Or it could be strategic to have something that's a bit more fresh, since they are the last one to go. But changing your FD is a big deal though, I don't know if it's anything strategic.
And I can't wait for US nationals now !
(I also don't get the hate for them...)

Igor and Marina worked together enough time, I guess they use similar strategies. Maia and Alex went very well prepared to Russia, they said that judges were visiting them to see the programs, probably C/B did the same.

Anyasnake

Igor and Marina worked together enough time, I guess they use similar strategies. Maia and Alex went very well prepared to Russia, they said that judges were visiting them to see the programs, probably C/B did the same.
I'm sure, but sometimes, judges visit you saying it's okay, and then you compete and it just doesn't turn your way... look at WeaPo. They were supposed to be fine at the Canadian camp and then after ACI change of plans. But I think this Olympic year is getting on everybody's nerves, skaters are going to end up NUTS... and so are we.
Anyway, it's always fascinating how events can turn. I don't prefer H/D over the Shibs AND vice-versa (I actually like both team SO MUCH, they're in my top 4 in the world with P/C and V/M :cheer2:, and my soft spot is for P/C), but seeing some people throwing shades at Shibs (and C/B for that matter) because of Skate Canada is just incredible. They seem to forget that scores are meaningless from one GP to another ESPECIALLY when one is in Russia and the other is Canada. WeaPo got huge scores but is it going to held up in France ? Is StepBukin going to score 108 in France too ? Are Shibs going to have huge scores in Skate America compared to Russia ? If there is as much inflation as we saw in the 2 previous GPs, I can see them getting massive score, especially since they don't have that big of a competition (C/L in America only), so them getting another place than 1st is highy unlikely.

Dobre

My gosh, I LOVE Shibs fans! Here we are concerned about the Shibs, Hubbell & Donohue, and Chock & Bates!

So, yes, all good points about comparing scores from different events. Good for H&D competing so well at SC. As C&B did last year. And as the Shibs did two years ago. Canada has really become a breakthrough event for U.S. dance teams, even with the Canadian teams always winning. LOL.

I do feel strongly that the Shibs need to continue to improve their FD. They had a lovely, clean debut skate; but it can be stronger. I was hoping to watch it a few more times before putting together my thoughts there. My first impression is that the build of the music with the twizzles is great, but that Maia & Alex need at least one more strong highlight after it. You have this great build, and then nothing happens.

Also, I am curious about the rotational lift from two seasons ago (the one they had to throw out of the SD last year because they weren't earning level 4s). But what was the issue exactly? Was it just that the lift didn't meet the new requirement for an additional surprise/difficult entrance or exit feature? Because it was such a crowd-stunner. If that was the only issue, then could they not put back in the leap of faith or a different entrance if they wished? I do like the new lifts--all of them--and I'm really proud of Maia & Alex for exploring new elements; but I'm thinking they need an element that would really kick up the energy level within the program. Maybe, however, there was a different issue with the rotational lift and/or there is no way to fit it in within the time frame of the music. So I'll just leave my main thought, which is that I feel they need a follow-up element that really delivers on the energy level built up by the twizzle sequence.

I've only watched the FD twice so I'm sure I'll have a more detailed impression of the program once I do. But the athletes only get one chance to leave a first impression on the audience so I do think first impressions are valuable and worth sharing.

Also . . . Marina sat right in front of us during the FDs today! She was watching the final flight and tapping away on her phone, probably relaying scores to fellow coaches back home. So methinks team Zoueva is on the job. And I have to give her serious kudos for Lorenz & Polizoakis's Pride & Prejudice FD. It is gorgeous. I am a serious fan of the film & the soundtrack so I knew there was no way I would not like the program, but I did not expect to fall in love with it so much. It left a rather awe-inspiring impression on the greater crowd as well, I think. Marina really does know how to use music to maximum effect and add the little touches that can make a program special.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Marina didn't like Pride and Prejudice when Tessa kept trying to sell it to her so it's interesting to read you think Marina knows how to use music to maximum effect to make a program special when she didn't seem to like this music in 2014.

That aside it was a lovely program and performance by the German team today.

Dobre

Marina didn't like Pride and Prejudice when Tessa kept trying to sell it to her so it's interesting to read you think Marina knows how to use music to maximum effect to make a program special when she didn't seem to like this music in 2014.

I have felt that Marina knows how to use music to maximum effect since Gordeeva & Grinkov. I don't know that Pride & Prejudice would win an Olympic gold medal. But I think it makes a gorgeous program.

chapis

Also, I am curious about the rotational lift from two seasons ago (the one they had to throw out of the SD last year because they weren't earning level 4s). But what was the issue exactly? Was it just that the lift didn't meet the new requirement for an additional surprise/difficult entrance or exit feature? Because it was such a crowd-stunner.

We thought that maybe Alex was not having much flow in the rotation , in the min 03:16 he does a little pause https://youtu.be/UqZoYcUI_vA?t=194, but yes, that lift looks fabulous.

firstflight

That aside it was a lovely program and performance by the German team today.
I listed L/P's FD as one of the ones from Nebelhorn that I've watched over and over. But did anyone else think that Lorenz's facial expression at SC throughout was a bit much? It reminded of Amy Sedaris in the TV show "Strangers With Candy." http://www.amysedarisrocks.com/swc_pics3.htm

Dobre

I listed L/P's FD as one of the ones from Nebelhorn that I've watched over and over. But did anyone else think that Lorenz's facial expression at SC throughout was a bit much?

I thought it was quite improved. Her natural smile reminds me a bit of my aunt. It has an almost sad feel to it. (This was my impression watching them live in Boston). So Kavita really has to push herself in the Latin style, I think, to make that fun attitude come across. The dress helps, but she is trying with the salesmanship as well. As for the LP, I just think it is an exquisite fit for them. By turns light/melancholy/dramatic/sweet. All good. And I should probably have put all this in the German skating thread so my apologies for the thread drift!

Mrs. P

At this wedding I went to last night, the DJ played "Fix You" and of course I thought of the Shibs. What was even better is that my husband (who was in the head table since he was in the wedding) texted me and wrote, "This makes me think of the Shibs." Loved it!

MRani

At this wedding I went to last night, the DJ played "Fix You" and of course I thought of the Shibs. What was even better is that my husband (who was in the head table since he was in the wedding) texted me and wrote, "This makes me think of the Shibs." Loved it!

I can’t hear that song anymore without thinking of them either. It’s pretty cool that for so many people who watch figure skating, it’s become hard to divorce that music from the program.
And Mr. P sounds like a real catch! :D

chapis

New vlog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6sWnRCHNp4&feature=push-u&attr_tag=urbk4iQpFD4OMq3K-6, wow, that is a record for Alex. It is about K. Yamaguchi show, brief appearances of Mirai, Karen, Polina, Kristi, Katya, Yuka, etc.

And they are trying answer all comments and questions in their vlogs, that is so considered of them. Reading their answers I learned that Alex is single, kind of obvious but it is confirmed, and they said too: ¨If we ever miss a training day because of a shoot, we make sure to make up for it by skating an extra day on the weekend or getting evening ice¨. So they are really trying that all the extra activities do not affect their training, probably that is the reason why sometimes they are training at evenings and weekends, of course it could affect their resting but observing their instagram they are not the kind of people who spend the weekend sleeping anyway.

VGThuy

I have a feeling that once Alex and Maia take some time off from competitive skating either after this season or after the next four seasons, Alex (and Maia) won’t be single for long just based on people’s reactions to them.

sap5

I have a feeling that once Alex and Maia take some time off from competitive skating either after this season or after the next four seasons, Alex (and Maia) won’t be single for long just based on people’s reactions to them.

Are they single right now? I assumed so because I've never heard any mention of significant others, but I have been surprised by it. They must have no shortage of opportunities.

chapis

Are they single right now? I assumed so because I've never heard any mention of significant others, but I have been surprised by it. They must have no shortage of opportunities.

It is confirmed only Alex, he said: I'm in a relationship with skating. It's pretty full-time right now :lol: . I don´t think they have many opportunities, they are always training.

Anyasnake

So I had these thoughts earlier on and I wanted to share with you guys :

I've been watching Skate Canada all weekend and I've been focusing (of course) on Ice Dance the most. The differences between skating federations are just fascinating.
If you watched Canadian TV, V/M appeared in a dozens fluff pieces, same numbers of interviews, they are getting so much TV time when skating is on, and not just when they are skating. The message is literally : "If they don't win Gold i Korea, there's an issue", and Canadians really know how to play on those moments, I actually found it quite extraordinary. V/M in interviews stated that they have a lot of help, a huge team behind them, so that they only focus on skating. Everything is set for them to have to only focus on the training (And congratulations to the Canadian Fed for that, it's just an outstanding work).
What does it have to do with Shibs ?
I almost get the feeling that Ice Dance isn't took seriously in the US. USFS has 3 HUGE teams who (let's not sugarcoat it at all) were going to be 3,4 and 5 at worlds if everyone skated clearly. 3 teams in the top five is incredible. The reigning Olympic champion in Ice Dance is the US. So, why do I always get the feeling that Shibs, who have 3 worlds medals, are promoting themselves without any help from their fed ? I feel like they do all their researchs (for choreographers for example) themselves, promoting themselves on YouTube to have maximum coverage, when they travel, it's not related to the USFS. I mean it's a feeling but a big one. And not just Shibs : C/B have 2 world medals. H/D still have a crowdfunding page !
I just think USFS could have done a better job to promote its dance team from 2014 until now. And if it wasn't for their efforts, Shibs wouldn't have that kind of coverage, even with 3 world medals.

Dobre

I just think USFS could have done a better job to promote its dance teams from 2014 until now.

Of course. (And for a dance fan it is unendingly frustrating!)

But it works both ways. Davis & White had next to no press heading into the Olympics--either in 2010 or 2014. Half the time they won GP events, they were not even shown on U.S. television. Only the ladies & the men. Now, at least the GP dance events are shown in almost their entirety on the Olympic Channel and the Shibs' winning FD from Rostelecom was also shown on NBC.

Ultimately, though, the lack of hype has its benefits. The U.S. dancers know how tough the field is ahead of them and around them. They know the challenge. And they work. They work very, very hard. They take risks--both technical & artistic. They compete, compete, compete. U.S. ice dance is deeper right now because every team is pushing to improve.

Despite all their coverage, it wasn't the U.S. ladies who qualified three for the last GPF and won two thirds of the medals at 4CCs over the past five years. Nor was it the Canadian dance field.

Did anointing Gracie, Kovtun, or Ilinykh & Katsalapov get any of them to the top of the Olympic podium?

Nope. Nor did the lack of U.S. press keep Davis & White from reaching it.

Last edited:

chapis

So I had these thoughts earlier on and I wanted to share with you guys :

I've been watching Skate Canada all weekend and I've been focusing (of course) on Ice Dance the most. The differences between skating federations are just fascinating.
If you watched Canadian TV, V/M appeared in a dozens fluff pieces, same numbers of interviews, they are getting so much TV time when skating is on, and not just when they are skating. The message is literally : "If they don't win Gold i Korea, there's an issue", and Canadians really know how to play on those moments, I actually found it quite extraordinary. V/M in interviews stated that they have a lot of help, a huge team behind them, so that they only focus on skating. Everything is set for them to have to only focus on the training (And congratulations to the Canadian Fed for that, it's just an outstanding work).
What does it have to do with Shibs ?
I almost get the feeling that Ice Dance isn't took seriously in the US. USFS has 3 HUGE teams who (let's not sugarcoat it at all) were going to be 3,4 and 5 at worlds if everyone skated clearly. 3 teams in the top five is incredible. The reigning Olympic champion in Ice Dance is the US. So, why do I always get the feeling that Shibs, who have 3 worlds medals, are promoting themselves without any help from their fed ? I feel like they do all their researchs (for choreographers for example) themselves, promoting themselves on YouTube to have maximum coverage, when they travel, it's not related to the USFS. I mean it's a feeling but a big one. And not just Shibs : C/B have 2 world medals. H/D still have a crowdfunding page !
I just think USFS could have done a better job to promote its dance team from 2014 until now. And if it wasn't for their efforts, Shibs wouldn't have that kind of coverage, even with 3 world medals.

yes, it is very evident, the fact that Maia and Alex are more known in Korea or Japan than in the USA says it all. I already resigned myself to the fact that this is not going to change. And yes, I think this has been especially hard for C/B, H/D have not had so much support but they have not even won a single world medal.

Anyasnake

@Dobre You made an excellent point. Having to focus only on training has had benefits for these teams, especially if you compare to Gold, Kovtun, etc.
And you know, I'm quite naturally seeing the bad scenario before the good one (even though the good one is more likely to happen), so when I see all this hype/media frenzy over some skaters/teams, I'm imagining the worst : How would Canada react if after 6 months of hype, V/M don't actually get the gold ? What if promoting Medvedeva all this time was for nothing because she fell on one jump and got the silver ? What if Nathan ends up with 7th place ? What if after all this time, Ashley Wagner doesn't even make the Olympic team ? The biggest example that comes to mind is WeaPo in worlds 2015. (And then the next season). Doesn't help my interrogations :wall:
(Those skaters are my examples because they get the most media coverage nowadays).

My problem is maybe more with the training money, sponsorship, and the visibility of the sport (like you said : pure frustration for an Ice Dance fan).
I just think that we are going to enter the Olympics in Korea with some of the best programs ever made for an Olympic season in Ice Dance, it's just so on par with the era we live in; Feels like a jump into modern dancing (and man, aren't Shibs are treating us with their very modern FD ?).
That would be a waste not to try to attract people into it.

Ps : I actually think Meryl&Charlie got more press in Canada than in the US before Sochi. How crazy.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I admit that I really look forward to seeing what the Shibs post on IG, and I like seeing who’s been liking it. I think Maia has a dedicated base of admirers. Some of them are IG verified.

chapis

That little video clip she just posted with her skating on the ice with her hair flowing behind her...girl is SO pretty :swoon:

That is supermodel worthy, I’m not surprised about the admirers at all :lol:

I know, she should skate in a exhibition with her hair down.

VGThuy

This part: https://youtu.be/K_m_zcHuy04?t=49

With Alex showing that great arabesque, he needs to do that more in the FD to match Maia's. There are times where Maia is extending that free leg so beautifully and Alex simply isn't matching her and it sort of drives me crazy at times because I think it'll create such a beautiful picture for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information