The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

MRani

Omg that was hilarious and also slightly creepy how they kept answering so perfectly in sync over and over again. Apparently their unison is spot on off the ice too lol.

MRani

They actually reminded me a lot of my twin cousins in that video. They answer simultaneously like that all the time too. I used to be jealous of them because I wanted a twin too but instead I was stuck with an annoying little brother :lol:

VGThuy

TAHbKA provided a great translation to Vaytsekhovskaya’s interview with Marina where she speaks a bit in-depth about the Shibs:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-the-mood-shouldnt-influence-the-work.102135/

Vaytsekhovskaya was right about how the Shibs keep exceeding the limits people think they have. They’ve been doing it for so long, you’d think some detractors would learn by now. Also the fact that Marina said Shibs are the first team to really come to her with their own ideas of what they want to skate to and have a strong idea of what they want should tell people that they are artistically-minded despite what some think.

arakwafan2006

As of this moment, I am. I'm not seeing the stratospheric score difference you appear to be claiming.
Is your eyesight working now? Check out the score difference in the Short dance alone. Please spare me any competition to competition variance. They’re not close to Tessa and Scott.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Are your eyesight working now? Check out the score difference in the Short dance alone. Please spare me any competition to competition variance. They’re not close to Tessa and Scott.

Yes, they suck and will probably lose Nationals to Hubbell/Donohue. Now let us enjoy the Shibs. I remember when the Shibs lost to Weaver/Poje in the SD by four points despite winning TES at 2015 Skate Canada. It's probably laughable for most people to think the Shibs have any chance at the gold. People thought their career was over as late as Fall of 2015. Then they thought Nationals 2016 was a fluke and there was no way they would beat Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje in front of an international panel. Then it happened at 2016 4CC. Then they thought it wouldn't repeat itself at 2016 Worlds. Then it happened. Then they said 2016 Worlds was the last Worlds podium they'd ever be on. The idea of the Shibs scoring 115+ in the FD was probably laughable as well and then we saw 2017 4CC. The idea that the Shibs could ever beat P/C in any portion of the competition is considered impossible, but it actually happened three times in the past three seasons.

If there's one good thing about how most people put these perceived limits on them, it's that the Shibs always find a way of exceeding expectations.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Btw, did people see the longer feature on the Shibs after the SC Mens SP? Mama and Papa Shib spoke! Alex and Maia talked about Sochi, their relationship and their vids. Lots of nice footage including MJ which looked better than I remembered.

VGThuy

Btw, did people see the longer feature on the Shibs after the SC Mens SP? Mama and Papa Shib spoke! Alex and Maia talked about Sochi, their relationship and their vids. Lots of nice footage including MJ which looked better than I remembered.

Oh no I didn’t. Was it footage of their YouTube Olympic channel feature?

chapis

Tina Cho from The Klog just wrote a piece with Maia Shibutani about skin care and make up. She finally answered a lot of her fans requests.

https://theklog.co/maia-shibutani-interview/

Finally she pleased to her fans!!.

And not only beauty tips.

What is it like working with your brother Alex?

¨Alex is the most creative and hard-working person I know. He is a storyteller, incredibly motivated, and multi-faceted. Alex’s strengths have pushed our skating to another level. Working together is a unique process. We have complete trust in each other and no filter when we are workshopping ideas. Our ability to be totally honest with each other allows us to push the boundaries of what is expected in our sport. It’s always challenging to work with someone at a high skill-level and intensity, especially if you don’t agree about everything. Any challenges we face are far outweighed by how much we appreciate being able to share all of these experiences together¨

I can imagine them giving her/him a ¨W..T..F are you saying?¨ look :huh: when one of them suggests something with which she/he does not agree :lol:

MRani

Finally she pleased to her fans!!.

And not only beauty tips.

What is it like working with your brother Alex?

¨Alex is the most creative and hard-working person I know. He is a storyteller, incredibly motivated, and multi-faceted. Alex’s strengths have pushed our skating to another level. Working together is a unique process. We have complete trust in each other and no filter when we are workshopping ideas. Our ability to be totally honest with each other allows us to push the boundaries of what is expected in our sport. It’s always challenging to work with someone at a high skill-level and intensity, especially if you don’t agree about everything. Any challenges we face are far outweighed by how much we appreciate being able to share all of these experiences together¨

I can imagine them giving her/him a ¨W..T..F are you saying?¨ look :huh: when one of them suggests something with which she/he does not agree :lol:

This is one of the ways that being a sibling team actually becomes a huge advantage. There’s no reason to sugarcoat something or be afraid of saying it when it’s your sibling you’re talking to. You can have your disagreements and arguments but you’re still family at the end of the day. I think that makes it easier for them to be brutally honest with each other when something isn’t working.

teacakes

Is your eyesight working now? Check out the score difference in the Short dance alone. Please spare me any competition to competition variance. They’re not close to Tessa and Scott.
Lol why are you even in this thread? Did their comment on the Shibs' scoring potential irritate you that much? Rag on the Shibutanis in the dance hall thread. This a positive haven thanks~

Mrs. P

Not to mention that Alex and Maia will have done work on their programs. I think Hubbell and Donohue are breathing down their necks, but I mean, that was the case at Worlds.

Mini rant-- I get irritated that H/D are constantly referred to the "team that would have likely gotten bronze if they didn't fall." Like, what matters is WHAT YOU ACTUALLY execute. Maia and Alex are three-time world medalists for a reason.

All that said, Hubbell and Donohue certainly officially made it tougher for Maia and Alex to get that third U.S. title.

VGThuy

Maia and Alex always had a tough time winning U.S. Nationals. I think people are excited about H/D right now and for good reason, but many are forgetting that the Shibs still managed to beat Bob/Sol at Rostelecom Cup and the judges were stingier all around with GOE and PCS, and that was with the debut of both of their panels and the first time their routines were judges and scrutinized. Not to mention the Shibs have been highly successful and that isn't going away. I do think H/D are a much worthier team to beat the Shibs than Chock/Bates if another American team has to beat them. That said, I still think the Shibs are the best American team and I think some who want USFS to push H/D over the Shibs probably are threatened that the Shibs have their set their eyes for higher aspirations (playing spoiler at the P/C and V/M tea party) whereas they think H/D would be more-than-grateful just to be on the podium.

chapis

I think some who want USFS to push H/D over the Shibs probably are threatened that the Shibs have their set their eyes for higher aspirations (playing spoiler at the P/C and V/M tea party) whereas they think H/D would be more-than-grateful just to be on the podium.

This, totally. I remember when Zach said that they want the Gold, it seems some people get offended thinking that Zach was referring about Olympic or world gold, it is like, they are perfect for national gold but God forbid they aspire to Olympic gold :rolleyes:
Anyway, Maia and Alex will be more motivated, and Alex said it, they are perfectly capable to raise the ocassion, to skate great under big pressure, if anything, the hype would hurt to H/D who are prone to mistakes.

And seeing the scores in Skate Canada, I realize that Maia and Alex were really underscored in Russia.

VGThuy

This, totally.
Anyway, Maia and Alex will be more motivated, and Alex said it, they are perfectly capable to raise the ocassion, to skate great under big pressure, if anything, the hype would hurt to H/D who are prone to mistakes.

And seeing the scores in Skate Canada, I realize that Maia and Alex were really underscored in Russia.

You can say that again. It was the opposite of ladies. Had Bob/Sol; Stepanova/Bukin; and the Shibs skated in front of this panel the scores would have moved up by a 2-4 points.

MRani

Not to mention that Alex and Maia will have done work on their programs. I think Hubbell and Donohue are breathing down their necks, but I mean, that was the case at Worlds.

Mini rant-- I get irritated that H/D are constantly referred to the "team that would have likely gotten bronze if they didn't fall." Like, what matters is WHAT YOU ACTUALLY execute. Maia and Alex are three-time world medalists for a reason.

All that said, Hubbell and Donohue certainly officially made it tougher for Maia and Alex to get that third U.S. title.

Not to mention that you can also turn that argument around by saying “if Maia and Alex hit their levels they would have been the team that won bronze without any questions.” Like you said, all the what if’s in the world don’t matter if you don’t deliver at the crucial moment, and Maia and Alex have the better track record for that in recent years than the other American teams.

I enjoy H/D a lot and they have fantastic programs this year. I’m happy for their success and they’re deserving of it. But if I had to pick the American team I trust the most to compete under pressure and bring in the medals at this point, it’s still the Shibs. I don’t know if H/D could have handled the pressure of competing at Rostelecom against B/S with the same fortitude that the Shibs did. They faced a much unfriendlier situation than H/D did at their first Grand Prix and still came out on top.

Disclaimer: I am also a H/D fan and do not mean to belittle their accomplishment at all. They’re a great team.

MRani

I’m actually more impressed with the Shibs’ scores at RC because they earned them from a panel that would not have done them any favors if they did not deliver on every level, and were probably looking for every excuse to put them below B/S. The Shibs didn’t give them that excuse at all.

Mrs. P

FWIW, the Shibs have always been in their way over the years. The Shibs beat them at Skate America four years ago to get on the podium and then beat them again to get the last Olympic spot and then finally they "got in the way" of them getting a World medal last season.

So I can understand the push to see if they could finally beat the Shibs (The SD at Worlds is the only time that has ever happened).

ETA: Madison and Zach's rise is praiseworthy and notable though. Madison had major injuries and that torn hip. It's actually a similar story to the Shibs but on a smaller scale (it had looked like at one point that Hawayek and Baker were going to pass them AND the Shibs) and that hasn't been the case.

MRani

In all this I do feel a little bad for Chock/Bates who are literally getting completely ignored in this American team hierarchy discussion. I mean, they are still technically US #2 right now. It’s not a given they’re just gonna roll over and let H/D surpass them :shuffle:

chapis

In all this I do feel a little bad for Chock/Bates who are literally getting completely ignored in this American team hierarchy discussion. I mean, they are still technically US #2 right now. It’s not a given they’re just gonna roll over and let H/D surpass them :shuffle:

I was about to mention that. Anyway, definitely the best battle in ice dance is in USA, I know it is still early, but I think it is sure that the Shibs, C/B and H/D will be the american olympic team.

Mrs. P

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Chock and Bates at Cup of China and seeing how their programs are. Honestly, the hate for them is somewhat amusing to me. I was pretty indifferent to them until I saw them in 2014 Nationals. They are FAST and have a notable presence. Even as a Shibs fan, I could acknowledge easily they deserved second place by far that year.

And yes, the top 3 teams now will likely be our Olympic team. The battle for the 4CC spot is actually going to be WAY more interesting. Hawayek and Baker definitely laid the gauntlet at SC. They are the only team outside the top 3 to get a 100+ score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information