The Pointless and Petty Annoyances Thread

clairecloutier

My admittedly quite petty annoyance the last week or so is parents at my kids' school who invite you to their business events or charity fundraisers but then can hardly be bothered to say hello when you run into them at the school or playground. :rolleyes:

pat c

When did little boys become little men. There is nothing wrong with being a little boy and there is nothing wrong with being a little girl, so please don't use cry little a little girl etc etc and quit with the little man description. They aren't so don't, let them be children. Man that po's me off. And the cell phone, standing in doorways, etc.

KatieC

When you are try to stuff the change back in your wallet, get the wallet back in your bag, pick up your grocery bag, and the cashier is already scanning the next customers stuff so now you're in their way.

Johnny_Fever

I was watching golf the other day, and as the golfer was lining up his shot, he was surrounded with fans videoing with their cellphones. They do realize the tournament is being broadcast with high quality cameras right? Do they really think they'll end up with better footage than the professionals?

Susan1

I was watching golf the other day, and as the golfer was lining up his shot, he was surrounded with fans videoing with their cellphones. They do realize the tournament is being broadcast with high quality cameras right? Do they really think they'll end up with better footage than the professionals?
I think the same thing when they show all those photographers crawling around on the floor of Congress. "Let's each get 50 pictures of the same person sitting at the same table not moving."
When you are try to stuff the change back in your wallet, get the wallet back in your bag, pick up your grocery bag, and the cashier is already scanning the next customers stuff so now you're in their way.
And I leave my purse in the "kid seat" with my wallet on that little counter and the bagger puts a loaf of bread or something small on top of my purse so I can't put my wallet away. And the customer tries to move up and runs over your ankle with the cart.

Winnipeg

The expression "my spidy senses tell me............."

And, going up an escalator and the person ahead stops DEAD when they get to the top and you practically run into them.

This is a good thread which is telling.

ballettmaus

When a couple says "we are pregnant". Unless it is a lesbian couple who says so, it is not possible biologically (and usually, it's heterosexual couples who say so). Is it so hard to say "we are expecting a baby" instead?

snoopy

I don't mind this because that is the only way I ever hear terms of endearment. People who actually know me, know that I am none of these things. :lol:

So this. I love to hear darling or sweetie from strangers. Though people use these words so rarely, it is almost jarring.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
So this. I love to hear darling or sweetie from strangers. Though people use these words so rarely, it is almost jarring.
It makes me incredibly uncomfortable to be called those things. Firstly from those working in customer service industry, I think it is very unprofessional. Secondly it conveys a sense of familiarity that I just do not want with a total stranger. I can handle it from family members but strangers or even people I know I cringe whenever I am called those things.

Only time it is acceptable is when you are doing Eddy or Patsy style from Ab Fab.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm sure I'll go to hell for this, but since I'm destined for there anyway.....Jesus fish on cars drive me crazy.

I read this too quickly and thought "jesus fish" was some kind of new curse, like when you say "jesus christ!". So I was like "wow, I wonder what's on cars Kasey doesn't like?" Took me a sec. :duh:

ilovepaydays

Here’s one that I have that fitting for this upcoming weekend (in the U.S.):

This is literally my only annoyance as a U.S. Navy Veteran (and I swear I’m not anything like veterans who stereotypically get offended with people who aren’t “patriotic” enough): People who say “Happy Memorial Day”. And at least one person will say it to me every. single. year.

It’s called Memorial Day for a reason. Because people have died in military service. And thinking about that (especially if it was a someone who was their friend or family member) makes those people really, really sad. Get it? :mad:

Last edited:

ribbon

This is literally my only annoyance as a U.S. Navy Veteran (and I swear I’m not anything like veterans who stereotypically get offended with people who aren’t “patriotic” enough): People who say “Happy Memorial Day”. And at least one person will say it to me every. single. year.

It’s called Memorial Day for a reason. Because people have died in military service. And thinking about that (especially if it was a someone who was their friend or family member) makes those people really, really sad. Get it? :mad:

I think that’s because most Americans grow up with Memorial Day as the beginning of summer, BBQ, day off work, sales at the mall, and so it equals a celebration and not a day for reflection. Sad but true. Our town even has a banner that says Happy Memorial Day to advertise their parade.

Susan1

Does this help a little (military reverence and then kick off the summer) -

"Miamisburg’s Memorial Day events this year will begin on Thursday and will continue through Monday.

The Silver Taps ceremony will kick off the holiday weekend on Thursday at the Market Square Building, 4 N. Main St. The tribute to military veterans begins at 7 p.m. and is free. It will be followed by the opening of the Miamisburg Historical Society’s Military Exhibit.

The military exhibits will also be open during historical society hours on Saturday and Wednesday from 1-4 p.m.

On Saturday, Rocky’s 5K Run or Walk for Freedom starts the day at Harmon Field on Jefferson Street. Registration and event ceremonies begin at 8 a.m. culminating with the 5K at 9 a.m. Participants may register at speedy-feet.com or at Harmon Field. A portion of this year’s proceeds will benefit Veterans Memorial Park, according to organizers.

(me - “Rocky” was 23-year-old Marine Cpl. Paul Zanowick II, killed in action in Afghanistan June 3, 2011 - grandson of my long time family doctor)

On Saturday evening, the Victory Dinner/Dance will be hosted by the American Legion Post #165. Dinner will be from 6-7 p.m. and the dancing to the big band sounds of the Tom Benner Band will be from 7-10 p.m. Tickets are $12 each and are available at the Legion on Main Street and the Market Square Building (Wednesday and Saturday 1-4 p.m.).

On Monday, memorial services will be held at each local cemetery starting at Our Lady of Good Hope Cemetery at 8:45 a.m.; Hillgrove Cemetery at 9:15 a.m.; Highland Cemetery at 9:40 a.m.; followed by a final service at the Linden Avenue Bridge at 10:30 a.m. (me - Boy Scout troops put flags in all the veterans’ flag holders first, which are provided by the cemetery.)

The parade will begin at 11 a.m. starting at the Linden Avenue Bridge and traveling to Veterans Memorial Park. This year’s marshal will be Ben Leason, Sr. who served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.

Wrapping up the weekend’s events will be the annual memorial service and picnic following the parade at Veteran’s Memorial Park. (me - They renamed library park last year when they built the new library a block away.) The picnic in the park will include free hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream and bottled water. The picnic will begin after the memorial service."

oleada

People who toss chicken bones on the street/sidewalk. First of all it’s gross. Second, it’s littering. Third, my dog keeps trying to eat them and they are not safe for her! And I have to keep pulling them out of her mouth. 😡

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Does this help a little (military reverence and then kick off the summer) -

"Miamisburg’s Memorial Day events this year will begin on Thursday and will continue through Monday.

The Silver Taps ceremony will kick off the holiday weekend on Thursday at the Market Square Building, 4 N. Main St. The tribute to military veterans begins at 7 p.m. and is free. It will be followed by the opening of the Miamisburg Historical Society’s Military Exhibit.

The military exhibits will also be open during historical society hours on Saturday and Wednesday from 1-4 p.m.

On Saturday, Rocky’s 5K Run or Walk for Freedom starts the day at Harmon Field on Jefferson Street. Registration and event ceremonies begin at 8 a.m. culminating with the 5K at 9 a.m. Participants may register at speedy-feet.com or at Harmon Field. A portion of this year’s proceeds will benefit Veterans Memorial Park, according to organizers.

(me - “Rocky” was 23-year-old Marine Cpl. Paul Zanowick II, killed in action in Afghanistan June 3, 2011 - grandson of my long time family doctor)

On Saturday evening, the Victory Dinner/Dance will be hosted by the American Legion Post #165. Dinner will be from 6-7 p.m. and the dancing to the big band sounds of the Tom Benner Band will be from 7-10 p.m. Tickets are $12 each and are available at the Legion on Main Street and the Market Square Building (Wednesday and Saturday 1-4 p.m.).

On Monday, memorial services will be held at each local cemetery starting at Our Lady of Good Hope Cemetery at 8:45 a.m.; Hillgrove Cemetery at 9:15 a.m.; Highland Cemetery at 9:40 a.m.; followed by a final service at the Linden Avenue Bridge at 10:30 a.m. (me - Boy Scout troops put flags in all the veterans’ flag holders first, which are provided by the cemetery.)

The parade will begin at 11 a.m. starting at the Linden Avenue Bridge and traveling to Veterans Memorial Park. This year’s marshal will be Ben Leason, Sr. who served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War.

Wrapping up the weekend’s events will be the annual memorial service and picnic following the parade at Veteran’s Memorial Park. (me - They renamed library park last year when they built the new library a block away.) The picnic in the park will include free hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream and bottled water. The picnic will begin after the memorial service."

That’s looks like a very nice itinerary. And (hopefully) a meaningful time for all. :)

I guess what gets me about it is how it seems like so many people have forgotten what the word “Memorial” means.
——————————

Being that a major movie theater time is upon us, how about people who insist on either talking out loud or taking cell phone calls during the movie.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Preschool graduations
Kindergarten graduations
Elementary school graduations
Middle school graduations

I'll give you pre school and kindergarten, but not so sure about the other two. I had a middle school graduation many years ago, and to this day it still means a lot to me. We were all leaving the school we'd been at for years, the teachers who we'd pretty much grown up with, splitting off toward two different high schools so in many cases the last time we'd be in the same school with each other, even see each other again, and the old building itself and the years of memories it held.

I remember they had the school trustees there to speak about this important point in our lives, knowing high school would be a lot different, we'd suddenly be the youngest again, at school with kids who were almost adults, our (terrible!) school orchestra played, us girls all wore long dresses (in many cases I'm sure for the first times in our lives), the boys had jackets and ties (again, probably in some cases for the first time ever, so "grown up"), there was a dance after and then a school sanctioned pool party at someone's house, so I guess that part was sort of like a prom in a way, although we didn't have dates and corsages and all that.

They gave out prizes, but not to every kid. There were maybe a dozen, and as I recall they meant a great deal to the kids (and their parents, who were all there) who got them.

Not sure what it's like today, but I'm really glad I had that experience. I barely remember my high school graduation, but middle school, definitely.

gkelly

I hope my grandmother had an 8th grade graduation a century ago, since she finished her schooling at that point and went to work. As was not uncommon at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information