The NBA thread: dribbling, double-teaming & dunking

Sylvia

TBD
Anyone watching Game 1 of the Western Conference Final in Oakland? (Golden State Warriors' final season at the Oracle Arena)

Skating-related news:
"Due to the Portland Trail Blazers advancing to the Western Conference Finals, the 2019 Stars on Ice presented by Musselman’s show scheduled for a [Saturday, May 18] 7:30 p.m. performance at Moda Center will now be a 7:30 p.m. performance at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Ticket holders will receive new tickets for the Veterans Memorial Coliseum show via email early this week."

rvi5

Apparently the US wants Canada to ignore an Interpol red notice, and guarantee Kanter will not be held for extradition to Turkey. Considering the US earlier arrest and extradition request for Meng, this will put Canada in another awkward position if the latest US request is granted (whether justified or not). Likely, China would use it to point an accusing finger at Canada. Will Canada be forced to follow the rules “exactly”, and deny the request?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26746618/senator-asks-canada-ensure-kanter-safety

jenny12

I really felt for Embiid. Nice to see so much passion for the game but man what a shot from Kawhi Leonard! Thrilling.

Anyway, can't see anyone coming close to the Warriors.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I quit watching the NBA after it became so predictable. Actually I kind of stopped watching it after the Phoenix Suns became a non-entity. I didn't watch the game but I was rooting for the Milwaukee Bucks (lived there for two years). Still happy for the Raptors for their first ever appearance in the NBA Finals. I will root for them, even though the outcome is certain, with the Warriors winning again.

I really don't care for the NBA. I do love college basketball, where even a bottom team can beat any other team.

manhn

I stopped watching the NBA after the Grizzlies debacle in Vancouver. Not that I really care about the Raptors. But I am going to the Bay Area next week for a cousin's wedding and some for my family are HUGE Bay Area sports fans. So, I will pretend that I actually care about the Raptors. Most of them think I live in Toronto anyway.

Megi

I stopped watching the NBA after the Grizzlies debacle in Vancouver. Not that I really care about the Raptors. But I am going to the Bay Area next week for a cousin's wedding and some for my family are HUGE Bay Area sports fans. So, I will pretend that I actually care about the Raptors. Most of them think I live in Toronto anyway.

You're also going to pretend you care because we're friends! :lol:

Seriously though, I've been a Raptors fan for a decade, after I had moved to Toronto in 2003, I didn't really feel any connection to the city until I got into basketball and got adopted by the super friendly fans. Then in 2012 when I got diagnosed with Melanoma and got severely depressed, I purchased Raptors season seats and started living life one game day at a time as I needed something positive in my life to look forward to. Mind you, on the court, things were not that great either at the time but now it gives me an even greater appreciation of what they've just accomplished. Having walked through the mud, the win on Saturday felt even sweeter. I was out in the streets celebrating until 2am on Saturday and it was such a treat. And not a single person got arrested!

So yeah, I have no fux to give about how anyone feels about Drake. #KawahiMeARiver :p

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Too bad the Raptors lost by just one point. This was their chance to win the series, playing on their home turf, with a 3-1 lead. They let it slip away. The Warriors (I hate them!) will win the series now.

Still, let's go Raptors. Win Game 6.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Too bad the Raptors lost by just one point. This was their chance to win the series, playing on their home turf, with a 3-1 lead. They let it slip away. The Warriors (I hate them!) will win the series now.

You really "hate" them. Why?

Megi

I'm not a stranger to Raptors fan fatalism so that's my first instinct after 24 years of doom but, objectively, I still think they have a good chance. In Game 5 the Warriors (hate their collective arrogance, especially Draymond's) shoot the lights out and the Raps played their worst game so far in this series and still only lost by a single point (not to mention the NBA announced yesterday Gasol was fouled with 49 seconds left and should have been going to the line).

Lowry plays better away so let's see what they can do on Thursday. If not, Sunday's the devil. :yikes:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm not a stranger to Raptors fan fatalism so that's my first instinct after 24 years of doom but, objectively, I still think they have a good chance. In Game 5 the Warriors (hate their collective arrogance, especially Draymond's) shoot the lights out and the Raps played their worst game so far in this series and still only lost by a single point (not to mention the NBA announced yesterday Gasol was fouled with 49 seconds left and should have been going to the line).

Lowry plays better away so let's see what they can do on Thursday. If not, Sunday's the devil. :yikes:

Typical NBA. Game rigged in favor of the favorites. I have seen this so many times with other favorites too- letting them get away with fouls while being tough with the other team. That’s why I am afraid the Warriors will win game 6. The NBA wants a game 7.

becca

I guess I want Toronto to win although I am mad about the fans cheering Durant’s injury. Although Warriors fans have shown will do the same.

However I am eqully mad at Warriors organization for playing him like they did. Durant is a big boy and bears ultimate responsibility but most of those athletes have Warrior mentalities. Jalen Rose was commenting before the injury that Durant did not look good at practices and wasn’t hitting the right makers. Add in him having him play as long as he did and the load of the offense and the media drum beat he was playing.

He should have been easier in and playing limited minutes.

I can’t help wonder if they would have been more careful if Durant had clearly stated he was staying.

Kendrick a former Thunder team mate was going off on how he told Kevin not to play and that the Thunder organization would have never done this.

He is an adult but a freakin generational talent.

I personally think the Warriors earned the right to their arogance and I like that attitude from Champions. As long as the dominance is clear.

Megi

Kendrick Perkins has proved himself to be, by far, THE BEST analyst in this year's Finals. He's keeping things real AND in perspective. Whichever network can snag him in a permanent position will be very lucky.

I think this "cheering for the injury" has been blown out of proportion. There was a steal and foul on the play, people cheered for that and to me personally it was a "well, I guess we're done pretending he's ready" kind of a reaction. No one could have immediately known it was something else and serious immediately. Once that became apparent people chanted "KD" as he left the floor. Yes, a few people were still demonstratively rude but painting the entire fan base as evil due to any of the above is just incredibly reaching and Pollyannyish. This is sports, not opera, and being judgy only based on the initial knee jerk reaction is very odd to me. I said the same thing when ZaZa undercut Kawhi tow years ago and the people in the arena acted in the same fashion, I say it now.

Obviously, we don't know what went into the decission to play KD behind the closed doors and if anyone was pressuring anyone else, so can't really asses the situation or assign blame from where I'm sitting. I didn't enjoy how they seemed to revel in the "Will he or won't he" PR game since before the series started and it backfired. I can bet they'll be doing the same thing with Looney until his shoulder physically pops out.

Glad to be able to talk NBA on here, whee!

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I guess I want Toronto to win although I am mad about the fans cheering Durant’s injury. Although Warriors fans have shown will do the same.

However I am eqully mad at Warriors organization for playing him like they did. Durant is a big boy and bears ultimate responsibility but most of those athletes have Warrior mentalities. Jalen Rose was commenting before the injury that Durant did not look good at practices and wasn’t hitting the right makers. Add in him having him play as long as he did and the load of the offense and the media drum beat he was playing.

He should have been easier in and playing limited minutes.

I can’t help wonder if they would have been more careful if Durant had clearly stated he was staying.

Kendrick a former Thunder team mate was going off on how he told Kevin not to play and that the Thunder organization would have never done this.

He is an adult but a freakin generational talent.

I personally think the Warriors earned the right to their arogance and I like that attitude from Champions. As long as the dominance is clear.

One might assume that you feel that this pesky Bible verse doesn't apply to "arogance" and
"clear dominance":

Proverbs 16:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

becca

One might assume that you feel that this pesky Bible verse doesn't apply to "arogance" and
"clear dominance":

Proverbs 16:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

This is a sport it’s a game. Champions go in it with the mindset that I am the freaking best and this is war and I am going to take that championship.

The Warriors players play unselfish basketball and they practice hard. If they lose it will be due to the injury to their best player and not arrogance.

What is improper arrogance is I am so talented I don’t need to practice. I want to be the MAN so I won’t pass the ball.

Last edited:

becca

Draymont's arrogant ass is one technical foul away from being suspended for a game.

Yes he is way to emotional of a player but you know what he has dinner with Drake right after their altercation and said that their altercation was fun. And people are to soft.

Once again the Warriors are champs and part of it is due to their attitude.

Even Kawhi comment on Dreymond saying he believed he could be the best defender of all time and says if Dreymond didn’t believe that about himself he wouldn’t be a champion.

Even if they lose this championship Klay Thompson is right without Kevin Durant they are a really good team. With him one of the best of all time.

In any sport the champions have a level of self belief. In order to pull it out at the highest of levels.

Once again I do think pride can be a downfall but Pride is. I don’t need a coach, I am so talent I don’t need to practice etc. I am then man and my numbers matter more than team wins.

The Warriors players by all accounts very hard workers. That is how they got that good.

This is entertainment to I find Drake entertaining. But he knows it’s a game and was worried about KD.

I would like a new champion but the Warriors have earned their self confidence. And I have never seen them call Toronto a bad team or say Cavs where either.

Last edited:

jenny12

Congrats to the Raptors! Kawhi is unreal and I'm so happy Kyle Lowry finally got a championship! So wonderful to see "Jurassic Park" celebrating like crazy!

I feel bad that the Warriors had so many injuries, but I think overall the Raptors were the best team this season. They let the nerves get to them at certain times but they overcame them and got a well-deserved championship!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Congrats to the Warriors! Kawhi is unreal and I'm so happy Kyle Lowry finally got a championship! So wonderful to see "Jurassic Park" celebrating like crazy!

I feel bad that the Warriors had so many injuries, but I think overall the Warriors were the best team this season. They let the nerves get to them at certain times but they overcame them and got a well-deserved championship!

Did you mean the Raptors were the best team?

Megi

First Evan, now the Raptors. I am so happy for you, Megi!!!!

Whee, thanks! :rockstar:

Add Nole to the group. I have a pretty good record of athletes and teams I start rooting for early on in their careers or when they are shite (Raptors won 20 games, out of 82, in the first season I followed closely) making it big and winning significant titles.

So proud of my team. #WeTheNorth

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information