The Mikhail Kolyada appreciation thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In 2016 at the worlds in Boston some were comparing him with Kulik. He has developed his own style now. He doesn’t have the jump consistency yet but I love the way he stretches his body and expresses the music through his every move.

Ka3sha

Channel 1 video about Kolyada’s ‘Nureyev’ (The White Crone) program. Was filmed back in August/September when Averbukh and Mishin’s team were working on the choreo + some new ‘behind the scenes’ footage from Rostelecom

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Interview with Mikhail Kolyada on the Russian Fed's website. He is talking about Nationals, his coaching change, coming back and says some sweet things about Daria, his wife.

He won his third National title last month with a total score of 296.15. :)
1st in SP (102.48): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPHRh6prvY
1st in FS (193.67): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPb8-LZ2vDU

mjb52

I'm on my phone and just liked some EXtremely old posts with the revival of this thread.

Sylvia

TBD

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Misha's FS from earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htlsKI59ROQ

His skating even makes Yagudin appear nicer because Yags is full of praise for Misha and puts it into very nice words.
"I met him at a competition at some point and asked him how he manages to skate this program like this and he just answered: 'I just hear the music.'."
Yags is totally in love with Misha's skating. And rightfully so.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Misha Kolyada is a great artist. Every look, every gesture, every posture is perfection. It was not a perfect skate but it was Beautiful. I enjoyed watching him so much more than those landing jumps after jumps after jumps! There are so many finer qualities, detail in his skating! I am happy to see him skating better this season compared to his struggles in the past.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think he was about 15-16 when I first watched him skate as a junior. As recently as the 2016 worlds people were comparing him with Kulik. He has his own style now.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really want him to keep this LP for the Olympics. It is gorgeous. If he wants to medal though, he will need at least one more quad, preferably 2 more, and land them all. He had landed quad lutz in competitions but then blew easier jumps. His consistency has improved after going to Mishin. If he could get the quad lutz back, and added the quad salchow, he could be competing for the OGM.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Love love love the Kolyada & Mishin combo. He reminds me of a young Yagudin
He is better than even the OGM winning Yagudin, not just 'young' Yagudin who had nothing but jumps.

Misha is much older and maturer.. Yagudin was all power and emotion. Kolyada has power and emotion, plus grace, finesse. He has perfect posture throughout, lines and detail. Every look, every arm position, every stretch of his body, every nuance to the music, and he tells a story. Everything is perfect right upto his fingertips.

The way I see and interpret his LP:

There are three phases of this Story.

First he is an aspiring artist/ballet dancer (his upward looks, arms). He has great talent.

Next he is frustrated and in pain (because he has not succeeded or is he disappointed in himself?). Note his facial expressions and body.

Finally he conquers his demons and reaches the high goal. Note his fist at the end.

Could this be the story of Misha Kolyada? We have already seen the first two phases. We need to see the happy ending because he is so deserving of it!

Sylvia

TBD
Olympic Channel interview and translation by Tatjana Flade; edited by Nick McCarvel (April 13, 2021):
ETA - copied over from the From Russia with love thread in GSD:

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I am usually against keeping programs, but I would be thrilled if he kept Nureyev.
If he can come up with something even better, fine with me, otherwise he'll always have Nureyev to fall back on in case a new program won't work out.
So, I'll predict a win-win situation for me in which he either gets an even better program or keeps Nureyev.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really liked his programs last year. I just can't warm up to his programs this year. I would like him to go back to his LP from last year.

Sylvia

TBD
Mikhail Kolyada interview in Russian (October 28, 2021):

Translated here: https://fs-gossips.com/mikhail-kolyada-ive-just-started-to-work-better-and-harder/

SkateFanBerlin

Pretty good outing for Mikhail yesterday. To me he is best blend of athletic and artistic. Don't understand why they didn't keep Nureyev programm from last season. He could increase tech contact and have real shot at Oly podium..

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Watched him at ITA GP. Unless he lands all his jumps in the SP and makes no more than one mistake in the LP, I don't see him on the podium at Oly or worlds. I would love to see him on the podium in Feb.

That said, I do love his skating but I would have preferred last year's LP for the Olympics.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am heartbroken for Misha. Why couldn't his fed give him a chance to skate the individual event? That is, if he tests negative, of course.

Amantide

I am heartbroken for Misha. Why couldn't his fed give him a chance to skate the individual event? That is, if he tests negative, of course.
What happened? :oops: I heard he was tested positive but not that he would not skate the individual event. Is this a final decision? :cautious:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What happened? :oops: I heard he was tested positive but not that he would not skate the individual event. Is this a final decision? :cautious:
Sadly yes. As soon as he tested positive, his fed withdrew him from the Olympics and put Semenenko in. He could have recovered and hopefully competed in the individual, but he was not given that chance. I am upset with his fed.

Amantide

Sadly yes. As soon as he tested positive, his fed withdrew him from the Olympics and put Semenenko in. He could have recovered and hopefully competed in the individual, but he was not given that chance. I am upset with his fed.
If they did that it must've been for a good reason and with prior medical check.
I really don't think they would've pulled him off easily. This is really sad either way though.
I hope he can recover well and smash the Worlds. I know it's not the same, but still, a world title is nothing to sneeze at.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Misha has posted something very heartwarming on his Telegram group: He happens to be in Lipetsk now and he (and probably his wife as well) have rescued a litter of six kittens who were abandoned in a cardboard box on the street. Misha has posted videos and photos of the kittens and wrote down everything that happened so far. They went to a vet clinic with the poor things and had them checked out thoroughly. Moreover, they have already found a family for one of the babies and are actively looking for loving families for the 5 remaining ones.

ETA: Here you can see the posts https://t.me/mikhail_kolyada

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information