The Good News Thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Recently I came across an Indian version of Who wants to be a millionaire. The show was in Hindi, with English translations displayed as subtitles and Questions/answers.

It seems the show selected contestants who had faced hardships and worked hard to improve their general knowledge. Some of them went to college. Some were doing charity work. It was heartwarming to see some of them win significant amounts of money.

Some examples of the contestants who won significant amounts of money:

A woman from a small town who was working as a bus conductor (very low paying job) but she was an avid reader, so she had a lot of general knowledge.

A man whose farher drove an autoriksha - a vehicle- (not making much money). His mother worked as a cook. They were poor. He said that with the money he would win, he wanted to send his parents on a pilgrimage, and pay off their mortgage.

A disabled man who hoped to have surgery on his deformed feet and buy a pair of shoes some day. His father ran a tea stall to make a living. They were very poor. A teacher who did volunteer work to educate the poor, was teaching him.

A Sikh man who arranged to feed the poor at an incredibly low price of 5 rupees (less than a dime) for a full meal. He did this once every week. To putbit in perspective, a cup of tea costs Round 15-20 rupees. So these meals were practically free for the poor starving people.

I was told that on every Friday show they invite people who have done social work (e.g. Helping victims of domestic violence) and interview them.

I thought this was a much better format than our 'Who wants to be a millionaire' show.

I was told that their show runs for only 3 months in a year. I wish it ran longer.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
To brighten your day https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45639136

Also in the category of lamppost story, this summer, as I was walking in a city in France I suddenly saw a flyer with a cat photo on a lamppost and the classic big title "Have you seen this cat ?". Being a huge cat person, I checked it out thinking poor cat got lost, only to discover this message below the photo: "He is beautiful. He's not lost, I just wanted you to see him" :D
I thought it was so refreshing to see something funny, unexpected and positive like this. As insignificant as it was, this person made my day.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am watching The Price Is Right. It is the Brest cancer awareness show. The first woman to get on the stage was a breat cancer survivor - free of the cancer since 2001. That should give some people hope. The second woman was also a breast cancer survivor. It seems everyone is probably a survivor. Breast cancer is such a scary disease. Good to see multiple survivors.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sergeant David Shuler received presidential medal of valor for sacrificing his body to save each soldier on his team, The story was on 11th hour (Brian Williams).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is embarrassing but I enjoy watching The Price Is Right, and when someone wins something big, I feel happy.

Today they had a deaf contestant. He had a sign language interpreter. He won a car plus $10,000. I was very happy for him. When Drew Carey asked him if he wanted to say hello to anyone, he said (with the help of the interpreter) - he wanted to say hello to all his deaf friends.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
REUNITED! NYPD Finds Couple Who Dropped Engagement Ring After Proposal: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/12/02/nypd-finds-couple-lost-ring-proposal/
Police successfully tracked down the pair after they lost a diamond engagement ring in a New York City utility grate Friday night. Authorities had started a search for the distraught couple after retrieving the ring on Saturday. The department is now working on getting the ring back to its rightful owner in Europe.
The magic moment-gone-wrong was all caught on camera. The bride-to-be, Daniella, tweeted Sunday that her fiance, John, proposed in Central Park, but the ring was too big and fell off into a utility grate while they were walking in Times Square.
Both Daniella and John dropped to their knees hoping to find it.
In a tweet, John said he “spent ages trying to find (the ring) and police stopped me from physically climbing down the drain.”
The following morning, the next shift of officers returned to the same location near 47th Street and Seventh Avenue to look again.
“Fortunately, it was actually kind of sitting on top of all of that stuff, so it really wasn’t hard to find. It was just a small object like that in the midst of all the garbage,” Det. Joseph Bucchignano said.
Police had the ring. Now they just had to find the couple. So they turned to Twitter.
Thousands of shares later, the couple was identified, back in the United Kingdom.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Brady Singer, Kansas City Royals' pitcher paid off his parents' debt at Christmas, and told them hiw much he appreciates them. Msnbc showed his parents' reaction. His mother was in tears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information