The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Via the Worlds entries thread, Janse van Rensburg & Steffan are out due to a positive covid test for him. (Ah, that's a shame as they've been working for years for this opportunity). And Muller & Dieck cannot take the berth because they lost preparation time due an illness he had after the Olympics. (I'm sure the inability to return to their coach and training rink didn't help).

Andrea82

Technical panel for Worlds

Hilary Selby (this season served as TC at Skate Canada)
Slavka Grincova (this season worked at Rostelecon, Asian Trophy + Juniors at Pavel Roman Memorial + 4 Nationals )
Marie Louise Gijtenbeek (this season: Challenge Cup, Rostelecom, Warsaw Cup, NRW Trophy, Nice Trophy, Lombardia Trophy + Juniors at Bavarian Open + Spanish Nationals + German Nationals)

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Via the Worlds entries thread, Janse van Rensburg & Steffan are out due to a positive covid test for him. (Ah, that's a shame as they've been working for years for this opportunity).
That really sucks for JvR/S. A shame for anyone to have to withdraw, but especially when they have been striving to get to Worlds for so long and finally made it.

And I was looking forward to seeing their RD one more time (and not just because of the bong noises).

Dobre

Yeah. Germany wasn't going to finish high enough to earn two spots for next season, regardless; but it is a rough go for a team that just snagged this berth by the skin of its teeth. Does anyone have confirmation on whether both German teams are planning to continue next season?

Lizziebeth

Evan Bates has been elected today as the ice dance representative on ISU Athletes Commission. He received 32 votes out of 34 with only 2 votes gone to Yuri Hulitski (who was the incumbent representative)
I have never heard of Yuri Hulitski. But I don't get out much :) Is this position for a current or former ice dancer? Just asking.

Good for Evan.

Andrea82

I have never heard of Yuri Hulitski. But I don't get out much :) Is this position for a current or former ice dancer? Just asking.

Good for Evan.
Candidates must have competed in (senior) ISU Events of the respective discipline within the previous four seasons before the season of election.

So it is either someone active or someone recently retired. The commission was created in 2017.
In the first election Alper Ucar won over Nathalie Pechalat and Paul Poirier. Then in 2019 Yuri Hulitski was elected as the sole nominee. Hulitski's last ISU event was 2019 Worlds.
From the press release I see Bates will serve until 2026. So they have moved to 4 years term.

At the beginning they tied this role with being the skaters representative on ISU Technical Committee. However, Ucar was still active in 2017 (and active skaters can't sit on the technical committee given it decides on patterns for following seasons, base values, etc) and so they named Pechalat on the TC. In 2018 she resigned, the position was left vacant for a couple of months until Ucar retired after Worlds and took up the role on the TC. Then they switched back to the role of skaters rep on ISU TC being an appointed position (and so Ucar is still in that role).

Dobre

Very interesting results we had in the middle of the field today in the battle for the tenth place berth. I am curious how things will play out in the FDs. Reed & Ambrulevicius and Taschlerova & Taschler both have been most competitive in the RD this season relative to their FDs. Lajoie & Lagha, who had the right placement at the Olympics heading into Worlds, left those teams a lot of room, though. And I thought maybe Turkkila & Versluis could contend if they went totally clean. So far so good. Interesting.

----

I am most grateful that Nazarova & Nikitin are alive and currently safe, but I was all :wuzrobbed to see their skate today too and glad to see the skating audience give them so much love & support. It's a very brave thing these athletes are doing to come skate at Worlds after such a traumatic month and with next to no practice. A meaningful moment beyond sport.

deegee

Very interesting results we had in the middle of the field today in the battle for the tenth place berth. I am curious how things will play out in the FDs. Reed & Ambrulevicius and Taschlerova & Taschler both have been most competitive in the RD this season relative to their FDs. Lajoie & Lagha, who had the right placement at the Olympics heading into Worlds, left those teams a lot of room, though. And I thought maybe Turkkila & Versluis could contend if they went totally clean. So far so good. Interesting.

----

I am most grateful that Nazarova & Nikitin are alive and currently safe, but I was all :wuzrobbed to see their skate today too and glad to see the skating audience give them so much love & support. It's a very brave thing these athletes are doing to come skate at Worlds after such a traumatic month and with next to no practice. A meaningful moment beyond sport.
does anyone know the opening song n&n skated to?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Looking ahead to next season (but not starting a new thread because we still have Jr Worlds), here are the seeded teams for the GP next season:

Assuming the same criteria for GP seeding is applied to next season...

Seeded 1-6 (guaranteed 2) if any of these teams retire then the teams in the Seeded 7-10 group move up in order to Seeded 1-6 status
1 - Papadakis/Cizeron FRA
2 - Hubbell/Donohue USA
2 - Chock/Bates USA
3 - Guignard/Fabbri ITA
5 - Gilles/Poirier CAN
4 - Fear/Gibson GBR
5 - Smart/Diaz ESP
6 - Hawayek/Baker USA

Seeded 7-10 (guaranteed 2) - if any of these teams retire then the teams ranked 11 & lower move up in order to Seeded 7-10 status
9 - Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen CAN
10 - Reed/Ambrulevicius LTU
11 - Lajoie/Lagha CAN
12 - Turkkila/Versluis FIN

Next in line for Seeded status:
13 - Taschlerova/Taschler CZE
14 - Garabedian/Proulx Senecal ARM
15 - Kazakova/Reviya GEO

Teams crossed out have announced their retirements

clemence

Do you know what is the rhythm dance theme for 2022-23 ? I imagine that many teams are already preparing for next season

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I don't think we know all the potential rhythm choices or anything official yet, but there is a post in one of the Worlds' play-by-play threads that says that the unofficial word is that the pattern is Tango Romantica.
:wall: :wall: :wall: I hate tango music. Didn’t we just have this like three years ago? Even a polka is better but I so want a waltz.

I think the street theme worked out really well in an Oly year!

shuilee

wow Chock and Bates will be heavy favorites to win next year. Just look at that list!

Based on who's likely eligible and plans to compete next year:

1. Chock/Bates
2. Guignard/Fabbri
3. Fear/Gibson
4. Hawayek/Baker
5. Green/Parsons
6. Lajoie/Lagha (seems like they'll be the Canadian #1)
7. Hurtado/Khaliavin (I'm guessing Diaz will follow Hubbell and retire together)

Unless there's a surprise like P&C in 2015. I'm hoping it could be a French team again. Lopareva/Brissaud really caught my eyes this season as team to watch next quadrennium. I think they could surprise with French #1 status next year. Possibly #3 best in Europe.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
wow Chock and Bates will be heavy favorites to win next year. Just look at that list!

Based on who's likely eligible and plans to compete next year:

1. Chock/Bates
2. Guignard/Fabbri
3. Fear/Gibson
4. Hawayek/Baker
5. Green/Parsons
6. Lajoie/Lagha (seems like they'll be the Canadian #1)
7. Hurtado/Khaliavin (I'm guessing Diaz will follow Hubbell and retire together)

Unless there's a surprise like P&C in 2015. I'm hoping it could be a French team again. Lopareva/Brissaud really caught my eyes this season as team to watch next quadrennium. I think they could surprise with French #1 status next year. Possibly #3 best in Europe.
I was under the impression that FBSor planned on continuing through at least Montreal 2024 Worlds. I didn't think we had heard anything definitive regarding Reed/Ambrulevicius either.

It does sound like Papadakis/Cizeron are also retiring but since there hasn't been an official announcement, I didn't mark them off my list for the seeded GP teams. I agree that Green/Parsons and Lopareva/Brissaud are going to be the two teams who weren't at these Worlds who are likely to make an impact on the GP and potentially qualify for the GPF.

I half-expect Smart/Diaz to compete one more season, especially if there are no Russians around next year. They would be strong contenders for a Euros medal and a dark horse team for a Worlds medal if they did.

I also anticipate that there could be at least 2 or 3 currently Russian teams that are competing by either Euros/4CCs or Worlds, either because sanctions have been lifted or they have made a country switch. Morozov and Narzinhyy (sp?) haven't represented Russia internationally since the GP last fall, so they could switch countries, sit out the full year, get their TES mins at Bavarian Open next January and then go to Euros/4CCs in February. And we all know DavSmo train in Michigan and she's got a US passport...

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was under the impression that FBSor planned on continuing through at least Montreal 2024 Worlds. I didn't think we had heard anything definitive regarding Reed/Ambrulevicius either.

It does sound like Papadakis/Cizeron are also retiring but since there hasn't been an official announcement, I didn't mark them off my list for the seeded GP teams. I agree that Green/Parsons and Lopareva/Brissaud are going to be the two teams who weren't at these Worlds who are likely to make an impact on the GP and potentially qualify for the GPF.

I half-expect Smart/Diaz to compete one more season, especially if there are no Russians around next year. They would be strong contenders for a Euros medal and a dark horse team for a Worlds medal if they did.

I also anticipate that there could be at least 2 or 3 currently Russian teams that are competing by either Euros/4CCs or Worlds, either because sanctions have been lifted or they have made a country switch. Morozov and Narzinhyy (sp?) haven't represented Russia internationally since the GP last fall, so they could switch countries, sit out the full year, get their TES mins at Bavarian Open next January and then go to Euros/4CCs in February. And we all know DavSmo train in Michigan and she's got a US passport...
I can’t speak for Euro countries without Top 10 dance teams but neither Davis nor Morozov are going to get past several strong US teams for 4Cs. Assuming next year’s Worlds team is C/B, H/B and Gre/Par, that leaves Car/Pom, Wolf/Chen, Somerville and new partner, Cesanek/Yehor and the mystery team of Nguyen/Smirnov in the pipeline. Will the Browns move up from Junior as well?

I doubt US judges are going to favor Russian escapees.

kates8

Looking ahead to next season (but not starting a new thread because we still have Jr Worlds), here are the seeded teams for the GP next season:

Assuming the same criteria for GP seeding is applied to next season...

Seeded 1-6 (guaranteed 2) if any of these teams retire then the teams in the Seeded 7-10 group move up in order to Seeded 1-6 status
1 - Papadakis/Cizeron FRA
2 - Hubbell/Donohue USA
2 - Chock/Bates USA
3 - Guignard/Fabbri ITA
5 - Gilles/Poirier CAN
4 - Fear/Gibson GBR
5 - Smart/Diaz ESP
6 - Hawayek/Baker USA

Seeded 7-10 (guaranteed 2) - if any of these teams retire then the teams ranked 11 & lower move up in order to Seeded 7-10 status
9 - Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen CAN
10 - Reed/Ambrulevicius LTU
11 - Lajoie/Lagha CAN
12 - Turkkila/Versluis FIN

Next in line for Seeded status:
13 - Taschlerova/Taschler CZE
14 - Garabedian/Proulx Senecal ARM
15 - Kazakova/Reviya GEO

Teams crossed out have announced their retirements
When did Gilles and Poirier announce?? I haven’t seen any decision from them

Status
Not open for further replies.