The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
He's had, what 3 partners? He's not in Krasnopolsky's league. I am cautiously optimistic about Bratti/Somerville because they rocketed up the (domestic) ranks and deserved to, which is quite a statement in a field as deep as American dance. Green/Parsons currently have the momentum. Hope they can add speed to their fine skating.

We should get a better view of Lajoie/Lagha's scoring potential if/when G/P retires and they move into Canada #2's spot.

There's a lot of young Russian teams that could make a statement in the next quad, even after they inevitably break up and re-pair :p.

The Taschler siblings have also made notable improvement this past season and could continue to rise, at least as far as a non-IAM OES team can.
Lopareva/Brissaud also have a lot of potential and are creative and voidy, which should be fun to watch. :encore:
I was in a super-boring meeting yesterday and amused myself by looking at all the Junior Worlds medalists in Dance since 2000. I never realized how many teams were at Junior Worlds with other partners -- Dom/Shabs, Cap/LaN, Mon/Kha etc. And the traffic jam in young Russian teams over the last five years is really something, it's like the period in the '00s when the US won almost every year.

ETA @allezfred read Gracie's book about her history with him.

dancing_on_ice

Whom DO we see as OGM in 2026? It's fascinating to speculate when there's no clear heir apparent at the moment. :)
Just looking at the top ice dance countries, we can probably get a pretty good idea. The top US Dance team in 2026 will likely be Green/Parsons, Hawayek/Baker, or Carreira/Ponomarenko. Most likely, it will be Green/Parsons. The top Canadian Dance team in 2026 will most likely be Lajoie/Lagha, and L/L will probably be Montreal's top dance team by then too, so they will have a great shot. The top Russian dance team might end up being Diana Davis, or it could end up being the ridiculously talented juniors of KagaPol.

If I were to put money on it, I think I would go with Gr/Pa as of now. USFS would love to have another gold medal winning dance team, and they're scoring the highest of the current young teams.

happycamper2554

Just looking at the top ice dance countries, we can probably get a pretty good idea. The top US Dance team in 2026 will likely be Green/Parsons, Hawayek/Baker, or Carreira/Ponomarenko. Most likely, it will be Green/Parsons. The top Canadian Dance team in 2026 will most likely be Lajoie/Lagha, and L/L will probably be Montreal's top dance team by then too, so they will have a great shot. The top Russian dance team might end up being Diana Davis, or it could end up being the ridiculously talented juniors of KagaPol.

If I were to put money on it, I think I would go with Gr/Pa as of now. USFS would love to have another gold medal winning dance team, and they're scoring the highest of the current young teams.

I think some unexpected teams will emerge. I dont think anyone expected S/K to become a top team after 2018. We all thought it was going to be S/B as the Russian number 1.

Fadeevfanboy

I think there is a good chance the top Russian team in 2026 will be Stepanova & Bukin. I could see them lasting another 4 years for sure, and they have already stated they intend to go for 2026. IMO Diana Davis is not good at all, and with the controversy around Eteri I expect to see her lose some of her power in Russia (she might even wind up criminally investigated in a serious way), and if that is the case Diana Davis is done IMO, since she is a total garbage skater, even if her partner is decent, and the only thing giving her any standing is Mama. It ain't Igor, since even he isn't powerful at all these days. Even if Stepanova & Bukin don't last to 2026 god help Russia and its pitiful state in ice dance if Diana Davis is somehow Russian #1, LOL! They will be lucky to have a team in the Top 10 by the next Games in that case.

I agree Green & Parsons will be US #1 by 2026, and well before then. Hawayek & Baker just don't seem to have it to go the next level at all, they should honestly have improved enough to be challenging for US #1 by now, but they are stagnant. I could see G&P overtaking C&B before they retire, even if they stay in a couple seasons, and I think they will pass H&B immediately at this point.

clairecloutier

I think some unexpected teams will emerge. I dont think anyone expected S/K to become a top team after 2018. We all thought it was going to be S/B as the Russian number 1.

S/K were a surprise in the first post-Olympic season. However, they didn't really come out of nowhere--they had been hanging around the medals at Russian Natls for a couple years. More importantly, the talent and basic skills were always there, certainly with K, and eventually with S too.

Whereas I still question the basic skating skills with Stepanova/Bukin. And, with all the many injuries they've already had, I definitely question whether they can make it through another 4 years.

I wouldn't rule out Khudaiberdieva/Bazin as leaders. Unlike Davis and even Stepanova, Khudaberdieva really does have the goods. that kind of natural talent usually eventually manages to rise to the top, even when politics aren't necessarily in their favor. they need much better packaging though.

Peepsquick

As much as I like P/C, I'm kinda not happy when retired OGMs sit out a few seasons and miraculously re-appear before Oly years. The track record on that is mixed, it worked for V/M but that also cost Canada some young dance teams. Better for the newer teams to at least be able to aspire to the top.
Yes, I understand this and agree but I also think P/C had a truncated second quadrennial and they are still young enough to give us great performances.

GreenGan

I would bet on S/B for the OGM, assuming P/C and S/K do retire. Out of every team that would remain, S/B have had some of the most interesting programs and they have made great improvement on their skating skills between GP and euros. I was truly impressed by their RD at the olympics.

I don't see Green/Parsons that high in the rankings right now, and I have been cautious when big federations or fans try to push team on the front (Carreira/Ponomarenko and Hawayek/Bakers were supposed to be the next big things ; Gilles/Poirier were supposed to be bronze contender when the americans, the italians and even S/B always looked better ; Lajoie/Lagha ; Davis/Smolkin...). But I'd agree Gr/Pa are interesting and could prove me wrong.

I don't think G/F will continue as far as 2026 but if I'm wrong they would be in the conversation.. And I don't see the british ever getting better skating skills, but once again I can be wrong.

And I don't follow juniors enough to have a relevant opinion about them.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I wouldn't rule out Khudaiberdieva/Bazin as leaders. Unlike Davis and even Stepanova, Khudaberdieva really does have the goods. that kind of natural talent usually eventually manages to rise to the top, even when politics aren't necessarily in their favor. they need much better packaging though.

I hope this happens as I think they are a well-matched, strong team. Frankly, I think they're already 3rd-best in Russia. I would also love it if Ushakova/Nekrasov could make a big comeback from all of their injuries. They are a dynamite team.

dancing_on_ice

StepBuk have had a lot of injuries. Sasha had a back injury last season, they both got COVID, and I want to say they've had knee injuries as well? I also kinda feel like StepBuk had their chance to be the top Russian team after the 2018 Olympics, but it just didn't happen for them and SinKats surpassed them. I don't think that StepBuk will be able to make it to 2026 because of their injury history. I think they'll probably do a mid-quad retirement, same with Chock/Bates.

Guignard/Fabbri are interesting, because they're older, but they don't have the injury history that StepBuk or Chock/Bates have. They also have a home Olympics to look forward to in 2026, and there aren't younger teams nipping at their heels the way there is in the US and Russia. I can see them competing at a home Olympics, but I struggle to see them as Olympic Gold contenders because they don't have the political power of their coaching team or their federation.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Guignard/Fabbri are interesting, because they're older, but they don't have the injury history that StepBuk or Chock/Bates have.
When I talked to Marco at the 2019 Grenoble GP, he said that this was pretty much the first time he'd been injured :oops:
He said that he'd been incredibly lucky with injuries - he must have such a tough body!
I can see them making it to 2026 no problems! 🥳 ( touch wood! )

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
When I talked to Marco at the 2019 Grenoble GP, he said that this was pretty much the first time he'd been injured :oops:
He said that he'd been incredibly lucky with injuries - he must have such a tough body!
I can see them making it to 2026 no problems! 🥳 ( touch wood! )
I’d be happy for them since they are an underrated team but they need some more cool programs like Bowie. They have everything but pizazz.

Fadeevfanboy

StepBuk have had a lot of injuries. Sasha had a back injury last season, they both got COVID, and I want to say they've had knee injuries as well? I also kinda feel like StepBuk had their chance to be the top Russian team after the 2018 Olympics, but it just didn't happen for them and SinKats surpassed them. I don't think that StepBuk will be able to make it to 2026 because of their injury history. I think they'll probably do a mid-quad retirement, same with Chock/Bates.

Guignard/Fabbri are interesting, because they're older, but they don't have the injury history that StepBuk or Chock/Bates have. They also have a home Olympics to look forward to in 2026, and there aren't younger teams nipping at their heels the way there is in the US and Russia. I can see them competing at a home Olympics, but I struggle to see them as Olympic Gold contenders because they don't have the political power of their coaching team or their federation.

I am not sure why their fed can't politic for them better. I mean who are they using the effort on? There is literally nobody else in any of the 4 disciplines. And we saw what Italian politics did for teams/skaters like Fusar Poli & Cantskategalio, Cappellini & Lanotte, and even Kostner early on before she tamed herself and earned her placings.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I am not sure why their fed can't politic for them better. I mean who are they using the effort on? There is literally nobody else in any of the 4 disciplines. And we saw what Italian politics did for teams/skaters like Fusar Poli & Cantskategalio, Cappellini & Lanotte, and even Kostner early on before she tamed herself and earned her placings.
Um, Grassl?

Italy's results were better back when Speedy was in charge of the ISU. :slinkaway

caseyedwards

Interesting take!! Stepanova and Bukin also lost valuable exposure when Valerie fourneyron banned them from pyeongchang for some unknown -will forever be a mystery -reason!!

Lara111

Plus I don`t think the judges were ever fully on board with the Rio program, I think when they come up with something more classical like in juniors the judges will respond they did love the warsaw concerto program.
I think they are super boring, no chemistry at all. The guy seems grumpy

GoneWithTheWind

I agree about the lack of politics for them, but if they can go another 4 years, I could see G/F nabbing the bronze (or maybe even silver), which I'm sure they'd be absolutely delighted with. From their interviews, I think how the next couple of seasons go will really influence whether they do another whole quad or not.

VGThuy

I dunno. Carroll, Sappenfield, Callaghan? All with abusive streaks to one degree or another. Tom Z blech. If some younger recently-retired skaters gain skills they could be excellent coaches plus more in tune with training skaters humanely. I'm heartened by Charlie's and Adam's approaches.
I wasn’t including Tom Z or Sappenfield among the great coaches. Callaghan should be banned for life at this moment, but I digress. I’m not saying they should adopt the past abusive behavior or take from coaches who exhibited grossly negligent or abusive behavior but the other ones with great skating knowledge. I feel like it’s Broadway in the 1990s when so many of the great (and arguably abusive) great choreographers, directors, and composers died in the 1980s leaving a whole pedagogical gap where then it was a desert and then younger artists didn’t get to be mentored by them.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Lydia Smart isn’t from Sheffield; I think she skated out of Blackpool when she was coming up the ranks in singles. Of course, that doesn’t mean she and Olivia aren’t related, but I don’t believe they are.

litenkyckling

I know. They really must have gotten along terribly, because they had such promise together. I'm glad she is still in the sport and sad he is not
I believe it was to do with financing or something - he’s now a coach and is on the team that coaches her

Bigbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information