The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Phil Hersh just posted a French article quoting a Russian judge saying P/C would not be judged well because of "the dancer's homosexuality." The article itself is paywalled and in French, of course but here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/lequipe/status/1450841764403761157

This will not end well for this judge... the world changes as more and more come out including female skaters too.

And BTW those creep judges need to be outed and named.

Could u imagine if you said such thing about other minority groups......

Russian judge meet cancel culture. Bye felicia.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Later on, that judge also commented on great many things, including women's skating, Tutberidze and blah blah. Apparently, he has never worked at big international events (and doesn't have required qualification) and judged only some US domestic events many years ago. I literally has no idea where Russian press found him, but he just keeps on giving :scream:

litenkyckling

I think Kazakova/Reviya will continue to be trendsetters with music choices and cool choreo (would we have as many In The Ends and cartwheels this season if not for them? I doubt it). I hope they get rewarded for it, as they were so close to grabbing the JW title. They're of the few teams who have quickly found a style if their own - which I think is one of the hardest things to do in ice dance.

Fear/Gibson will definitely be on the Euro podium but imo her skills need to improve if they want to better that - I think next quad they will be on the bubble of the GPF every year (but might not always make it a la C/L, G/P, G/F).

Lajoie/Lagha will rise to the top but I think that won't happen until F-B/S retire - F-B/S will be battling at the top if they stay on injury free and stop making silly mistakes. Skate Canada need to politic for L/L, which I don't think they're doing just now but it makes sense as the third team during the Olympic season. Intrigued to see what the Candian podium will look like with the former French trying to get on there too.

I personally don't want C/B to stay on as I think it's stifling younger teams and their growth. Does Evan really need to go to 5 olympics? They were so fortunate to enter the field during a less competitive time and have the right coach at the right time. They never had to do the waiting bit - H/D did and I think that shows in their approach sometimes (in a good way). I think the US podium will never stop being a heartbreaking battle to get a worlds spot (hopefully for more than just the bronze spot next quad though). I kind of wish they'd give the bronze medalists the worlds spot and the pewter the 4CC spot every year as I think the championship experience is invaluable. On Wolfkostin and Chen - we'll see I guess but I personally don't quite get them and their appeal. Also - I assume they're going senior to get a 4CC spot because I think it would be foolish of them to not try and get a JW medal. In saying that, the 3 olympic spots are taken up as are at least 2 4CC spots out of H/D, C/B, H/B, C/P, G/P - realistically I think the final 4CC spot is C/Y's to lose.

Kaganovskaia/Angelepol - I love them so this is totally biased but I think providing all goes to plan, they will be Russian stars. They have more talent and star appeal than Davis/Smolkin and Morosov/Bagin. I always think a JW medal is an important step in the journey for Russian teams - and D/S and M/B are without (guess having influential parents might be a more important step but we shall see). But yeah K/A just have a special something about them and the best chemistry of all of the teams outside of S/B and S/K imo.

Andrea82

Later on, that judge also commented on great many things, including women's skating, Tutberidze and blah blah. Apparently, he has never worked at big international events (and doesn't have required qualification) and judged only some US domestic events many years ago. I literally has no idea where Russian press found him, but he just keeps on giving :scream:

He is retired now as an international judge. He judged in big competitions back in the old days. He was on the panel for Men event at 1988 Olympics. He recently gave out another interview on how brave he was to have dared to vote for Boitano instead of Orser (but evil Canadians took revenge on him)...
He was skating in early 60s. So may be close to 80 year old now

Last edited:

Dobre

Stepanova & Bukin.

I think there's a decent chance one of the top two Canadian teams will go on at least a couple more seasons. I thought Gilles & Poirier might, but people here posted that they had made some comment to the contrary so in that case, I think it would probably be worth it for Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen to stay in a while after the Olympics & reap some hardware. (Like Nikita, he's been a bit beat up so I'm not counting on four years; but Canada is pretty good at keeping an experienced top team in, and while Lajoie & Lagha are likely capable of finishing high enough to contribute, they are also going to face some more age-comparable competition in this next quadrennium as some of the top teams in the U.S. & Russia get out. If one of the top two teams will stay in a bit, it will benefit the Canadian team as a whole.

The Brits have as good a shot as anyone of getting on a podium.

I think it's possible Guignard & Fabbri will take time off & come back for a home Olympics in Italy.

The young Americans & Russians will fight it out, and there's going to be some movement and upward momentum there. I just don't know, in particular, who it will be, as it's going to take some growth & development. (Might be easier to predict this if the Russian team was not having such a rocky start to this season healthwise at the moment).

Will either of the Spanish teams stay in, do you think? Mom thinks H&K might.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Stepanova & Bukin.

I think there's a decent chance one of the top two Canadian teams will go on at least a couple more seasons. I thought Gilles & Poirier might, but people here posted that they had made some comment to the contrary so in that case, I think it would probably be worth it for Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen to stay in a while after the Olympics & reap some hardware. (Like Nikita, he's been a bit beat up so I'm not counting on four years; but Canada is pretty good at keeping an experienced top team in, and while Lajoie & Lagha are likely capable of finishing high enough to contribute, they are also going to face some more age-comparable competition in this next quadrennium as some of the top teams in the U.S. & Russia get out. If one of the top two teams will stay in a bit, it will benefit the Canadian team as a whole.

I think it's possible Guignard & Fabbri will take time off & come back for a home Olympics in Italy.

The young Americans & Russians will fight it out, and there's going to be some movement and upward momentum there. I just don't know, in particular, who it will be, as it's going to take some growth & development. (Might be easier to predict this if the Russian team was not having such rocky start healthwise at the moment).

Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen have said something along the lines of they hope to stay til 2024 at least, if health allows.

As for the Spanish teams, I think Adrian will be done at least. It's possible Olivia will look for a new partner if she doesn't want to retire - she is the youngest of the four of them by several years. I don't know about Sara and Kirill, I won't be surprised if they're done or if they stay.

litenkyckling

Stepanova & Bukin.

The young Americans & Russians will fight it out, and there's going to be some movement and upward momentum there. I just don't know, in particular, who it will be, as it's going to take some growth & development. (Might be easier to predict this if the Russian team was not having such a rocky start to this season healthwise at the moment).

I think Sara said in an interview last year that this would be her last season, but I'm not sure if that's still the case

clairecloutier

in an interview posted here recently, Sara said that it might be the right time to retire after this season. So not a firm decision, but it sounds like she’s leaning that way. I’m bummed because I’d really love to see H/K continue for another couple seasons!

MsZem

I see the sea
They're already among the older competitors in ice dance, and I think they want to start a family. I'd be surprised if they continue/return for the 2026 games.

in an interview posted here recently, Sara said that it might be the right time to retire after this season. So not a firm decision, but it sounds like she’s leaning that way. I’m bummed because I’d really love to see H/K continue for another couple seasons!
Yeah, there's still room for them to grow but it's understandable if they want to move on. And I'm sure Sara misses Spain.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

I wonder what makes it a right time. I feel like another cycle would get them higher on podiums and stuff… I feel like they have not peaked yet

litenkyckling

I wonder what makes it a right time. I feel like another cycle would get them higher on podiums and stuff… I feel like they have not peaked yet
may Kirill wants to spend more time with his family now he has a child? Also I think the pandemic has made lots of people reevaulate priorities in life, and many people have decided to be closer to family so that may be a factor?

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
This quad there has been more variety and innovation among junior dance than senior dance, so I hope that continues as the teams move up - the future champions and the ones who will make the early groups fun - and they don't all decide they really want to skate to lyrical covers. I'd just like to see more diversity of all sorts in ice dance. (And more skating in hold :p)

Of the up and coming teams, I really like Khudaiberdieva. (And Bazin. But especiallly Khudaiberdieva.) She has all the qualities of a great ice dancer and all the potential. But their programmes are really...not great. As @litenkyckling said, finding their own style is one of the hardest things, and that's an advantage Kazakova/Reviya have over their training mates. I think Kh/B have versatility but if they don't find their own style they need a team behind them which can channel that versatility into good material, and they don't seem to have that now. But I don't know where I'd have them go instead.

Shanaeva/Narizhniy are also a personal favourite, but I am already resigning myself to them getting lost in the shuffle of Russian teams, especially if they stay with Svinin/Zhuk, which seems likely. Russian dance has been getting better results again lately, and could dominate the next cycle, but IMO the coaching scene is still pretty messy.

I'm interested to see what Galyavieva/Thauron do now they're with Barbara F-P - I'm glad she's got a dramatic team at last! I'm not sure they'll become a top team, but I expect them to move up once they're the French #1s.

Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen have said something along the lines of they hope to stay til 2024 at least, if health allows.
It makes sense for the Canadanes to stay in until Montreal Worlds, health allowing. This quad has been even more disrupted for them than for most, with injury and the country switch, and Lajoie/Lagha have potential but don't look ready to really break through just yet.

I think at least three of the Spanish ice dancers are ready to move on in life. But if either team chooses to stay one more year they'll finally have a clear run after all six years of drama. It feels like Olivia has been around for ages (maybe because I follow GB junior dance) but she's still pretty young and could go for another cycle with a new partner if she wants to. Presumably competing for Spain with a partner just as Spanish as she is.

Tangentially, on the subject of obsure ice dancers who I definitely do not expect to make it big next quad, anyone know what's up with:
  • Weatherby / Yerzhanov (KAZ) - chronic injury? They haven't competed since 2020 4CCs but have been on a few entry lists and then withdrawn.
  • Bernardi / Zilberberg (ISR) - Last seen bizarrely withdrawing from LPIDC but skating their programmes as exhibitions.
And :cheer2: that after entering and withdrawing from seemingly every B competition, Ipolito/Russell have made it onto competitive ice twice in two weeks!

Sorry for the essay... It's nearly SA!

GoneWithTheWind

Bernardi / Zilberberg (ISR) - Last seen bizarrely withdrawing from LPIDC but skating their programmes as exhibitions.
They're currently on the entry list for CS Cup of Austria.
I'm interested to see what Galyavieva/Thauron do now they're with Barbara F-P - I'm glad she's got a dramatic team at last! I'm not sure they'll become a top team, but I expect them to move up once they're the French #1s.
I'm really looking forward to seeing where G/T go too, and hoping for top-10 at Worlds for them over the course of the next quad. I find their teammates Lopareva/Brissaud interesting too. I hope both teams can continue to push each other.
I think G&F will start a family. And I would not blame anyone for finding that to be a full time job. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they decided to come back for a home Olympics.
They're with the right coach for a home Olympics comeback. If anyone knows how to start a family and then return to the Olys, it's Barbara, although it didn't necessarily go the way she hoped... And if G/F do come back for 2026, I'd rather not see Charlène giving Marco a death glare at the end of either of their programs :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
Bernardi / Zilberberg (ISR) - Last seen bizarrely withdrawing from LPIDC but skating their programmes as exhibitions.
I had no idea Zilberberg was even planning to compete this season!

One time TAHbKA and I were skating in Metula and he was on the ice too, and I pointed out to her that we were skating alongside an Olympian :lol:

nuge

What about the French Legacs ?I really like them hope they can come back.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I'm really looking forward to seeing where G/T go too, and hoping for top-10 at Worlds for them over the course of the next quad. I find their teammates Lopareva/Brissaud interesting too. I hope both teams can continue to push each other.
I like L/B too and some domestic competition is always good - unless it turns into a repeat of the current Spanish situation. So at least one of them needs to break the top ten!

Andrea82

Polibina/Golovishnikov is the likely Poland#2 for Europeans?
From what I've seen in the last 2 weeks (well, this week only in terms of skating), they seem better than the Polish couple seen in Lake Placid and US Classics.

The good mood of the callers and judges of Mezzaluna/Ice Star/Victor Petrenko Cup pushed some fourth (fifth) tier teams over minimums for ISU Championships

To Worlds
Samersova/Ojala (Estonia)
Pucherova/Lysak (Slovakia)

To Euros
Ipolito/Russell (Latvia) (RD Worlds' minimum also done)
Mitrofanova/Kasinskij (Bosnia-Herzegovina)

To 4CCs
Nette/Westwood (Australia)

Last edited:

Dobre

The tech caller was brutal!!!
Elek is usually tough. (The other two not necessarily so I would assume they didn't disagree).
Yes, I wish the tech panel was the same in all six events
Are you sure you would prefer that? Having the same tech panel in all six events would mean having the same potential national biases on every GP panel & the same personal biases on every GP panel (some callers are more picky about timing, for example, and may overlook other specific issues). I don't really think fans would like this. For example, this panel has one American and one American turned Azerbaijani on it & while I think covid means we can expect GP hosts to take advantage of whatever local callers they can, it's not ideal in the long run.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Welp that was an interesting competition. The tech caller was brutal!!! Canadanes were my favorite of the night even though they didnt hiit their pattern :rofl::rofl:

I prefer to think that the tech caller was for once accurately marking what was put on the ice! 😉
This should happen more often to stop ice dance deteriorating in technique any further than it has already.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Hubbell/Donohue will definitely benefit from this harsh panel in a long run. If their lift survives Elek & Rettstatt tomorrow, it should be okay for the rest of the season (barring problems with execution, of course)
Yes, agreed, now is the best time to discover any potential tech problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information