The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

sap5

I wish IAM, and all dance schools really, would partner with more/varied/diverse choreographers. I know MIDA mentioned a partnership with the UMich dance program. I'd love to see what comes of that. Most of these ice dance coaches should be able to translate floor choreography onto the ice, so let's get some new visions of what can be done.

Andrea82

Not their first year, no. According to Wiki & the Web archive, Hurtado & Diaz moved to train with Marie France & Patrice late 2011. I'm not sure who D&L coached in those early days, other than Spain's very own "what if" team, and the Danadians. I wouldn't be surprised if early Gadbois suffered from lack of technical aptitude in their skaters, vs. creativity and choreography. Marie France & Patrice weren't too boring until the very end of their career. (I still don't know how they made Somewhere In Time feel fresh...?)

Hurtado/Diaz's Free Dance in 2011/12 season (it was done by Camerlengo though)
The 2012/13 Free Dance

First season of Fournier/Sorensen

clairecloutier

Dobre

Randomly popping into this thread again as I'm working my way through the Finlandia FDs this morning & have just watched Orihara & Pirinen's FD program after being informed of the plotline. (I saw it once before).

:rofl: Mermaid & the sailor. If I didn't already love ice dance, I would totally start watching it for this kind of story-telling program.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Oh c’mon, you can’t use “Macarena” and not even do one complete turn of the dance!
Well, you can if you're the whiter-than-white bread Aussie #2 team, which is a rung below the standard issue white-bread lower-ranked Canadian teams who can't do Latin any better, but at least have some speed to their skating...

Colonel Green

So, with all the JGPs in the books, the outlines of the Final are interesting.

Looking at average scores across two events, as well as highest scores (accounting for errors), there is a massive gap between the top two teams and the other four entrants. Mrazkova/Mrazek and Bashynska/Beaumont about ten points or more clear of everybody else, and the former's PBs have a not-insignificant gap versus the latter's too (though they second free dance score suggests that their PB of 105 may not be the norm for them).

But the race for bronze is really interesting, both because the other four teams' scores are all pretty close, and the teams with the highest RD scores are not the teams with the highest FD scores (Lim/Quan, especially, are weak in the RD but very strong in the FD).

Karen-W

So, with all the JGPs in the books, the outlines of the Final are interesting.

Looking at average scores across two events, as well as highest scores (accounting for errors), there is a massive gap between the top two teams and the other four entrants. Mrazkova/Mrazek and Bashynska/Beaumont about ten points or more clear of everybody else, and the former's PBs have a not-insignificant gap versus the latter's too (though they second free dance score suggests that their PB of 105 may not be the norm for them).

But the race for bronze is really interesting, both because the other four teams' scores are all pretty close, and the teams with the highest RD scores are not the teams with the highest FD scores (Lim/Quan, especially, are weak in the RD but very strong in the FD).
Not just bronze at the JGPF, but bronze at Jr Worlds too, when you add in the two teams who didn't qualify for the JGPF but have SBs of 156+.

Mrazkova/Mrazek CZE 176.26
Bashynska/Beaumont CAN 171.61
Lim/Quan KOR 161.96
Grimm/Savitskiy GER 161.42
Bekker/Hernandez GBR 159.55
Fradji/Forneaux FRA 157.11
Gauthier/Thieren CAN 156.92
Neset/Markelov USA 156.36

And then there's a big gap between the next 6 teams, all of whom are going to likely be vying for the last two spots in the top 10 at Jr Worlds.

Pinchuk/Pogorielov UKR 150.95
Lewis/McMillan CAN 149.83
Kida/Morita JPN 149.66
Simova/Aksenov SVK 148.25
Pham/Rogers USA 148.24
Hauer/Starr USA 147.44

GoneWithTheWind

(though they second free dance score suggests that their PB of 105 may not be the norm for them).
They got their choreo jumps invalidated in their FD at Egna though, so the score would be lower than their first JGP. They scored 3.59 points for the jumps at Czech Skate. If they'd got the element validated at Egna that would've pushed their FD score there to less than a point from their first FD.

Karen-W

They got their choreo jumps invalidated in their FD at Egna though, so the score would be lower than their first JGP. They scored 3.59 points for the jumps at Czech Skate. If they'd got the element validated at Egna that would've pushed their FD score there to less than a point from their first FD.
The 1st JGP was before the ISU changed the choreo jump requirements, right? IAM & IAM-London have had a couple of teams now in Challengers with those elements invalidated since the change, IIRC. Seems like someone on their team is dropping the ball on this by not reviewing the choreo jumps for all of their teams. That's the sort of thing that could cost someone a medal...

Ena Grins

The 1st JGP was before the ISU changed the choreo jump requirements, right? IAM & IAM-London have had a couple of teams now in Challengers with those elements invalidated since the change, IIRC. Seems like someone on their team is dropping the ball on this by not reviewing the choreo jumps for all of their teams. That's the sort of thing that could cost someone a medal...
I think the Mrazeks were the team that had the invalidated choreo jump here. Their previous JGP was 9/1-9/3. (I think the ISU updated their requirements 8/31). Some other teams have had the element invalidated at Challengers - McNamara/Spiridonov for sure. Definitely not just an IAM problem, it looks like a number of coaching teams missed the memo.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
The panel at Ostrava did not keep up with the rule change, or decided to give the element a "pass". M&M's first assisted jump was definitely 1.5 rotations (only 1 rotation is allowed). The assisted jump was unchanged at Egna, but that panel enforced the rule change. It's still an underwhelming element, but their score would have been 3ish points higher had the element not been invalidated.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

So, with the pre-Grand Prix Challenger events wrapped up, there’s a bit less to talk about than in prior years in terms of the very top teams, since we haven’t seen Madison & Evan or Piper & Paul yet.

But some interesting movement in the tiers below. Probably the most unexpected development thus far is the seeming step back by Green & Parsons.

angi

I think we are in for two very interesting fights this season:
  • the fight for Canada's two spots for Worlds - FB/S and L/L are scoring quite similar, I do think L/L's scores are slightly inflated but they have been getting really good levels and showing a lot of improvement for the start of the season. FB/S are also getting good marks and seem to be sharp and ready. It definitely looks like both teams worked hard this summer and want to climb. With how G/P looked and scored last season, and with the rumors about their music choice being less than stellar, I have to admit I kind of wish it will be FB/S and L/L for worlds at this point (anything can change obviously, season barely started).
  • The fight for US bronze and 3rd spot for Worlds - I was sure that Green/Parsons were a lock and even a threat to H/B but with how unprepared they looked and with their material and packaging lacking, they are not a lock anymore. Still, I do think they are the most likely to get the spot, but we have them, C/P, W/C, P/B, and B/S fighting for bronze which is really exciting.

chantilly

I think we are in for two very interesting fights this season:
  • the fight for Canada's two spots for Worlds - FB/S and L/L are scoring quite similar, I do think L/L's scores are slightly inflated but they have been getting really good levels and showing a lot of improvement for the start of the season. FB/S are also getting good marks and seem to be sharp and ready. It definitely looks like both teams worked hard this summer and want to climb. With how G/P looked and scored last season, and with the rumors about their music choice being less than stellar, I have to admit I kind of wish it will be FB/S and L/L for worlds at this point (anything can change obviously, season barely started).
  • The fight for US bronze and 3rd spot for Worlds - I was sure that Green/Parsons were a lock and even a threat to H/B but with how unprepared they looked and with their material and packaging lacking, they are not a lock anymore. Still, I do think they are the most likely to get the spot, but we have them, C/P, W/C, P/B, and B/S fighting for bronze which is really exciting.
I guess opinions vary
But I don’t think music from Evita is “less than stellar “
I personally think it’s their best choice since Vincent.
I think it fits their personality and aesthetic.
Not to mention, the music hasn’t been confirmed, nor the programs seen.
We will see, but unless G and P have a disastrous season I doubt very much they don’t finish 1st in Canada.
Despite L and L’s obvious improvement and FBS/S strong start, IMO G/P are still the best team considering everything.

litenkyckling

I actually think that Skate Canada are spooked after losing the spot at worlds and so are now doing more to push their 2 & 3 teams. I think we’ll see big scores from G/P. Especially when we consider that L/L have never medalled internationally at the senior level until this season, but the number 3 US team last quad (being H/B) medalled internationally every season and made the GPF too. Skate Canada need to do everything to ensure all 3 of their top teams could easily place in the top 10 at worlds. They need that 3rd spot back for home worlds!

Andrea82

The panel at Ostrava did not keep up with the rule change, or decided to give the element a "pass". M&M's first assisted jump was definitely 1.5 rotations (only 1 rotation is allowed). The assisted jump was unchanged at Egna, but that panel enforced the rule change. It's still an underwhelming element, but their score would have been 3ish points higher had the element not been invalidated.
I looked back at the "Requirements for Technical Rules with ongoing validity, effective July 1st, 2022" document. There are 3 versions: 19th April, 31th May and 31th August.
Latest one (31th August) has latest changes highlighted in Red. The "one rotation maximum" is underlined but not highlighted in red. So I guess it may have been changed on 31th May document.

So if this is the case, some coaches, choreographers and some technical panels were sleeping. It shouldn't have passed in Ostrava either if the change dates back to 31th May.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Especially when we consider that L/L have never medalled internationally at the senior level until this season, but the number 3 US team last quad (being H/B) medalled internationally every season and made the GPF too.
That wasn't a matter of federation priority, that was a matter of Hawayek & Baker being a more experienced and established team (also, they only made the Grand Prix Final because of how many withdrawals there were that season, including from Chock & Bates).

Sylvia

TBD
Canadian-born Romy Malcolm, 18, and Noah Lafornara made their JGP debut for the USA at the Solidarity Cup JGP in Gdansk (finished 9th on Oct. 1) and she has an IPS profile as of 10/16, now based in Barrie, Ontario ("I can also represent Canada and am open to representing other federations."): http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7254

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Today Katarina DelCamp announced her new partnership with Turkey's Berk Akalin, based in Coral Springs, Florida, with coaches John Kerr and Alper Ucar: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj1BJM6v2VG/
I’m happy for Kat that she’s found a new partner after her abortive partnership with Billy Wilson French, but I can’t feel too excited about any team with an almost 10 year age gap. Still, if they’ve got programmes ready in time for Bosporus Cup, I see tech minimums in their future.

deegee

seeing c/b's new rd and knowing they are 'next in line' for the world title makes me miss the power, speed & flow of p/c & h/d (heck even of katsalapov 🙃).

the choreography is eye catching and she of course looks as stunning as ever and can pull off the dancey moves with great conviction.

litenkyckling

seeing c/b's new rd and knowing they are 'next in line' for the world title makes me miss the power, speed & flow of p/c & h/d (heck even of katsalapov 🙃).

the choreography is eye catching and she of course looks as stunning as ever and can pull off the dancey moves with great conviction.
I'm not convinced with this RD from what I've seen so far - I don't understand this music choice from a team that did a great latin SD in 2017/18. I don't get it? It doesn't even feel slightly latin to me. I know it's just a practice video but I didn't think they looked super well conditioned, plus his twizzles need to go better on the day!

I don't know, I just expected more from them. If you're going to continue because you want a world title then give me some oomph.

Andrea82

The battle for France #3 spot in quite interesting. They have 2 spots for Europeans but 3 for Worlds.
I assume Lopareva/Brissaud and Demougeot/Le Mercier are #1 and #2.

At Masters de France, Lagouge/Caffa beat Dupayage/Nabais 175.22 to 170.29.
At Trophée de Nice, Dupayage/Nabais prevail 172.20 to 171.52.
On both occasions, L/C were ahead in RD and D/N in the FD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information