The Amazing Race (Season 33) returns!

Sylvia

TBD
... on Wednesday, January 5, 2022 from 8-10 p.m. ET on CBS.

From Variety.com (Dec. 9, 2021):
When “The Amazing Race” Season 33 contestants hit the road in February 2020, executive producers Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri were already keeping an eye on reports of a coronavirus beginning to tear through the world. They had even mapped out alternate routes to shift the race to “Plan B” countries, and ultimately an option that would just go through South America, as parts of the world started going into lockdown.
But by Feb. 28, with just the first three legs of the competition in the can, even those alternative ideas no longer made sense. “I knew there was something really wrong here,” van Munster says. “We sent everybody home at that moment.”
With no real way to shoot “Amazing Race” in a bubble, the producers had to wait more than a year to call back the crew and contestants and resume production. Finally this fall, van Munster, Doganieri and their team had conceived a new way to return to the race.

Last edited:

Lilia A

Oh em geee, my mind has been so busy that I didn't even know they had managed to film another season. So excited!! :love:

smurfy

Thanks Sylvia for link!
So cool to read about how thoughtful they were bringing the show back, picking up from where they left off and all the steps they did throughout.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
It's just starting - Phil was standing on a beach and said they started before the pandemic and got through 3 legs before halting. They've now been able to finish it ...

smurfy

Great return! 2 episodes!
Americans don't know what a Bobby in England is. Lol. London is mu favorite city and been to most places they were. Loved seeing it.
And the 2 guys with clues in hand looking for more- too funny.

BaileyCatts

OMG those guys who found the clues in like what, 5 minutes ... .and then kept looking and missed the train back! :rofl: What the hell were they thinking? It was an envelope that said "Amazing Race" on it. Since when is it ever anything other than an envelope that said "Amazing Race" on it. That was :rofl: gold. And I wanna ride on that little train. :p

And the dude who walked by the Bobby like 4 times?? :rofl: I barely have any world knowledge, and even I know a Bobby is the police in London. Didn't he even think the person was dressed rather differently than all the other people wandering around that plaza to think 'huh, maybe I outta ask this guy?'.

Those cakes looked yyyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmyyyyyyy. :lol:

smurfy

OMG those guys who found the clues in like what, 5 minutes ... .and then kept looking and missed the train back! :rofl: What the hell were they thinking? It was an envelope that said "Amazing Race" on it. Since when is it ever anything other than an envelope that said "Amazing Race" on it. That was :rofl: gold. And I wanna ride on that little train. :p

And the dude who walked by the Bobby like 4 times?? :rofl: I barely have any world knowledge, and even I know a Bobby is the police in London. Didn't he even think the person was dressed rather differently than all the other people wandering around that plaza to think 'huh, maybe I outta ask this guy?'.

Those cakes looked yyyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmyyyyyyy. :lol:
And I loved how with Brexit - people made mistakes doing Gr Br cake. That was a good task with expected mistakes like GB and Norway.

Lilia A

Late start for me. Just started watching episode 1 and OMG I followed Ryan's case for the longest time. The wrongfully convicted guy. 48 Hours must have aired half a dozen episodes focusing on him.
I hope I like him on the race. We shall see.

Also, to whoever said it before the opening, it is not "oatmeal" for crying out loud. I think that's what I'll call that team.

D

Deleted member 1204

So good so far. Minus the flight attendants, that is. They (and their vocal fry) need to go ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

jadingirl

I didn't mind the flight attendants on this episode - they seemed more fun.
DId anyone notice in next weeks preview it look like only 5 or maybe 6 teams came back to finish - that's too bad if true.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
DId anyone notice in next weeks preview it look like only 5 or maybe 6 teams came back to finish - that's too bad if true.
Yeah for sure I didn’t see the Paris train guys when I scanned the crowd.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I read an article a month or so ago that said not all of the teams were available to come back.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Spoilers about who the returning teams are in case you really want to be surprised

Four teams do not return:
  • Anthony and Spencer
  • Taylor and Isaiah
  • Connie and Sam
  • Ray and Caro (who reportedly broke up--no surprise there)
Two teams that were eliminated are brought back to fill in:
  • Moe Badger and Michael Norwood
  • Arun Kumar and Natalia Kumar

BaileyCatts

Stoopid freaking crud thing ruining stuff for every one. :cautious: I hope the Teams that couldn't come back get offered to do the next round if they are available and want to go another round. Its pretty much a month of your time you have to get off work and rearrange your life, isn't it? I can see how it would have been hard to make it all work again some 19 months later.

love skating

Clueless American
Spoilers about who the returning teams are in case you really want to be surprised

Four teams do not return:
  • Anthony and Spencer
  • Taylor and Isaiah
  • Connie and Sam
  • Ray and Caro (who reportedly broke up--no surprise there)
Two teams that were eliminated are brought back to fill in:
  • Moe Badger and Michael Norwood
  • Arun Kumar and Natalia Kumar
I think I read that Connie got pregnant so they couldn't come back and Spencer was ill. Too bad, I liked both teams. I don't have a problem with them bringing back the eliminated. They hardly began the race so it's like a true redo and so far I really don't hate anyone so that's good!

smurfy

So glad show is back. Impressive how many teams could make it back.
Love Scotland

sk8pics

Aw, I really liked Spencer and I’m sorry he couldn’t return.

I’m actually enjoying this season very much so far. I thought the bagpipes task was hilarious.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I liked the tasks but I hate so many of the teams. I spend a lot of each episode yelling at them for being stupid. Maybe all the teams that didn't come back are the ones I don't want to see more of. (I should be so lucky.)

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Agree. Even the YouTube mom & dad aren’t as obnoxious as I expected them to be. Now that the dating couple is gone, this should be fun.

I'm shocked that so far I really like them! I expected them to be obnoxious as well, but they're so fun!

BaileyCatts

While I totally want to ride that cable car, that mountain task was just a little bit too dangerous to be doing. I mean at the end of the day, it truly is just a game show. One slip on those rocks or a wrong foot placement and yikes. Yes, I know they were cabled in and had a guide, but I would have totally panicked scooting along that tiny little ledge. I was panicking just watching it on TV. :yikes:

smurfy

Good episode.
Love when the booted teams returned - and finally youtube mom said with them being there - they were there. wonder how many were not happy.
yes the mountain challenge - yikes.
The married couple - former div 1 athletes - they are just struggling - I was worried the lady was going collapse at the mountain challenge. Not that I expect people to be extremely fit - she seemed borderline unhealthy.

The scenery in Switzerland was beautiful. - fun travel via the tv.

screech

Married dancing couple have started to annoy me. I didn't mind them the first 2 episodes, but I found he started to get a bit obnoxious during the 'Donald where's your trooooosers' routine. This episode they were more annoying to me, and if I were the other pair with them when they were learning the flag routine, I would have asked them to shut up.

I also don't like the married educators. They just seem like they hate each other. Kudos to her for tackling her fear of hights. What a way to do it! Also, looks like they're making her tackle it again next week... This week he kept saying how he should have done the heights challenge, but he's not doing it next week either?

My favourite is still Ryan and Dusty. And what an amazing attitude does Ryan have, to be able to joke about his time in prison like that.

love skating

Clueless American
19 months later and same result - 1st ones out are 1st ones out again and 2nd ones out are 2nd to last, despite a head start due to Sherry(?) being last on the mountain. I had to laugh at the preview of her having to deal with heights again!! - if it's a roadblock and they pick her again?! Maybe it's something they both have to do and they just showed her stressing.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Sherry has some guts. Her husband needs to shut up. I wouldn't want him for a coach.

Why teams didn't return (I will summarize to spare you the slide show and ads):

Anthony and Spencer: Anthony had just started a new job and couldn't take the time off
Taylor and Isaiah: They did return, but Taylor's older brother died of the plague two days after they arrived and they went home
Connie and Sam: She was seven months pregnant
Caro and Ray: No official reason, but they broke up in July 2020, which was probably reason enough

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Sherry has some guts. Her husband needs to shut up. I wouldn't want him for a coach.

Why teams didn't return (I will summarize to spare you the slide show and ads):

Anthony and Spencer: Anthony had just started a new job and couldn't take the time off
Taylor and Isaiah: They did return, but Taylor's older brother died of the plague two days after they arrived and they went home
Connie and Sam: She was seven months pregnant
Caro and Ray: No official reason, but they broke up in July 2020, which was probably reason enough
A Love Island couple broke up? Shocking! 😂

That’s so terrible for Taylor and Isaiah. I really liked them as a team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information