The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

floskate

Vacant
It's a throw triple axel catch as they used to call them. Pestova & Leonovich did the same move also. The last pair I remember doing axel catches was Valova & Vassiliev who did a double. I wish they would bring these back.

valenc

Thanks, floskate! I thought this video might have been mislabeled. :)

I like the idea of throw/catches but have never seen them done really well. I imagine the timing and coordination of one is quite tricky.

floskate

Vacant
Really? This is one move I don't miss. It's so hard to do a proper catch or land on one foot, it just looks like a recipe for disaster under CoP scoring.

True, but it's a little unfair to use examples from 30 years ago. I imagine that given the advances in technique we might see some pretty spectacular moves from some pairs. Of course you'll always have pairs who struggle with double twist though, regardless. :shuffle:

bardtoob

Really? This is one move I don't miss. It's so hard to do a proper catch or land on one foot, it just looks like a recipe for disaster under CoP scoring.

No less of a disaster than Zhang and Zhang's splatacular Quad Throw Jump at the Olympics. At least the lady is more likely to land on her partner rather than on the ice :rolleyes:

valenc

For another look at G&G's quad twist, here's footage from 1987 that just resurfaced. The quad is right at the halfway mark.

I wish we had more of these old Soviet videos to watch!

gracefulswan

Best LP ever from Sasha Cohen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifDo65tLy9Y&feature=related

I know some people criticize this version of Swan Lake choreographed by Robin Wagner (I don't agree with those people; it's still a good program, albeit totally different from the original one), but you can't deny that this performance is simply fantastic. Every jump, spin, the spirals--down to the fingertips at the exact correct moment of music, the expression, the ease of it. She still makes me excited about skating.

wow, why couldn't she have done that same routine at worlds that year... wow again! bet she asked herself that question many times afterwards, LOL. so sasha is capable of landing all the jumps perfectly.... it's just a mental thing with her..

wonder if she'll ever finally do it. hit 7 perfect triples at a world or olympic competition. i don't see how she can be denied a win then.... and it would be ironic if she didn't win despite being perfect...when all the times she wasn't, she came in second.

Taso

Didn't Brasseur and Eissler do this at some point? I think they had a triple axel catch planned in their 94 Worlds LP but because of her ribs they left it out and did a single.

The move planned was a triple lateral twist. The only other couple I can think of that did a lateral twist was Eltsova & Bushkov in their long program at Nagano. That was only a single (or was it a double :confused:) as well. Someone else has to have done this move over the years, right?

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I don't remember where exactly but I read the name Katy Taylor somewhere the other day and and I didn't know who that was so I looked her up. She was the skater who made her senior national debut at the 2005 US Nationals with Kimmie Meissner, and I remember liking her skating a lot better than Kimmie's.

2006 4CC LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bciyCWo36w

pollyanna

The move planned was a triple lateral twist. The only other couple I can think of that did a lateral twist was Eltsova & Bushkov in their long program at Nagano. That was only a single (or was it a double :confused:) as well. Someone else has to have done this move over the years, right?
Kitty and Peter Carruthers and Underhill and Martini did them. I bet Floskate can name some more. ;)

floskate

Vacant
Me too, skatesindreams. There were a couple of years that I was :confused: as to why she didn't win over Fratianne.

Certainly 1978 US Nationals. She was on fire that season and while she only had one triple there was sooooooo so much more to her than just that. She was woefully undermarked at 1978 Worlds. Robin Cousins actually went on record stating that she should have been the clear winner of the SP and LP there. Love Lisa Marie :swoon: Her 1978 Worlds LP would be in my top 20 LP's of all time :)

And because I can, here she is back then too!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xA3hfEU30

pollyanna

Certainly 1978 US Nationals. She was on fire that season and while she only had one triple there was sooooooo so much more to her than just that. She was woefully undermarked at 1978 Worlds. Robin Cousins actually went on record stating that she should have been the clear winner of the SP and LP there. Love Lisa Marie :swoon: Her 1978 Worlds LP would be in my top 20 LP's of all time :)

And because I can, here she is back then too!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xA3hfEU30

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

pollyanna

Lisa Marie tried to finally win the US title in 1981 after Fratianne retired, but was upstaged by this young lady.

Elaine Zayak's 1981 win at the age of 15. Some folks today think all Elaine did was skate up and down the ice jumping 3toes, but not so at all. In fact, her programs were very COP friendly with tough jump combos, good spins, footwork and MITF into jumps, and IMO, her slow section in this program is quite lovely.

Elaine Zayak 1981 US Nationals LP

2lutz/3toe
2axel/2axel seq
footwork/walley/3salchow
3 toe walley/2loop
3loop (slight step out, only mistake)
beautiful camel spin rolling to FOE
gorgeous Ina Bauer right up into
3 salchow
footwork into 2axel
split/3toe/2loop
2axel/half loops/3toe
superb final scratch spin

So yeah, 3 3toes, but they were all in tough combinations, a 3toe walley in combo, 2 3sals, 1 3loop. She needed to grow in her presentation, and she needed to hold her spin positions longer, but that was a helluva program, esp for 28 years ago!

Here's Elaine's very pretty gala exhibition program.

olympic

In the commentary, it appears that Priscilla Hill was in the lead going into the LP, with Lisa Marie Allen in 3d...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information