The 2024 Total Solar Eclipse Thread

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
We're at the 80% mark and it's amazing how powerful the sun is. You can hardly tell that it's mostly in shadow except the temps have dropped a little. Well the totality was actually pretty cool. I can understand how primitive peoples going about their daily business and suddenly the sun literally disappears could be a little freaked out. Then it pops back out. The Choctaw have a story that it's a giant black squirrel that eats the sun and the women bang on their pots to scare the squirrel away. I kind of wanted to bang on a pot for a minute there.
My Toronto BFF is in Arkansas, driving back to Canada from their winter home in Scottsdale. She’s got the glasses and all that and is sending photos.

Just getting a little overcast here in DC.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'd recommend finding the recent NOVA episode on your local PBS. It explains a lot about the solar flare and the corona. NASA sent up several aircraft to record it and measure the flares. They have to send planes ahead of the sun along the path because they can't fly fast enough to catch up and have to be in front of the sun's movement in order to film along the way and hope to get the flares as they happen.

skategal

Bunny mama
Well the news stations here in Canada certainly guessed wrong.

90% of their programming is coming from Niagara Falls and Toronto and it is cloudy.

They should have sent more people here.

They did have a little bit from PEI.

Full sun there too.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
of all the ways I've wasted time....lol Good memories of being in elementary school for some kind of eclipse, though. The usual suspects got admonished for looking at the sun.

Lacey

My 4 year old granddaughter in Nashville used the glasses w. her mother while her sister, 2 year old granddaughter, who is a monkey and too young for this, slept in her nap upstairs. 4 year old loved it, she is very studious and really wanted to do it.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
My brother just told me there was a break in the clouds again, and the sun was only half covered by the moon now.

BaileyCatts

Almost missed it here because I had to go to the bathroom. :rofl: Didn't get any of those glasses so I just looked out the windows at work. And it kinda ... liked like 6p on a winter night. :lol: So anyone at home with their furbabies ... did the pets freak out or anything? Like they say animals can sense strange things like earthquakes and such? My kitty probably sleepin' anyways. :cat:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Only saw one street light come on here. :lol: We were supposed to be 87%. We have some clouds but not a cloud cover. I walked around enjoying the changing shadows. At about the top time here I asked a guy with glasses if it was mostly covered. He handed me the glasses so I got a quick look. It was mostly covered. So weird to actually see!

I enjoyed viewing all the people out and about looking. Bunch of folks sitting on the big hill in the large green space around the corner and the kids in the school yard and then just random groups of people on sidewalks.

Fun!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I’m dying laughing at the news anchors.

One guy just said something about this “once in a lifetime event” and next sentence said that he will be 78 when it happens again in his home province. :lol:
The anchors are hilarious. "Today we're all humans, we're all Americans ..." "Out-of-body experience ..." You could tell they were all casting around for something profound to say and were struggling. :lol:

It WAS cool to see, though. I was using one of those little pinhole cameras, which made a funny little crescent sun, but then my neighbor lent me his glasses and I could actually look at the real thing.

quartz

scratching at the light
ABSOLUTELY THE COOLEST THING EVER WE HAD A PERFECT VIEW FROM OUR PATIO AND A GORGEOUS SPECTACULAR FLARE ALL AROUND AND THE LIGHTING AND SHADOWS WERE SO WEIRD AND WONDERFUL AND YOU COULD HEAR PEOPLE CHEERING AND APPLAUDING ALL AROUND TOWN AND THAT WAS AWESOME YAAAAAAASSSSSS

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I was at the hairdresser and we all went out. Glasses passed around. I enjoyed 2017 better as it was 100% here and there is a creek by our house. All the frogs started their nighttime mating chirps. No creek by my hairdresser’s but still fun to have a communal experience.

Parsley Sage

Just spent about 45 minutes in the parking lot of my building with a few neighbours. What a cool show.

You can see some images of Niagara Falls on the webcam Hall of Fame at the bottom of this page.

Amy L

I was walking out of the library when I saw a bunch of people standing around on the sidewalk. It was super cloudy but even without the glasses I could look up and see a bit of the ring peeking through. So I saw a tiny sliver of it and kept my eyesight, win win!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
f5a2c5529a8b4240e1ed2ff7e1afe218c89d9d40.pnj

Picture by my husband

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Skaters taking it in...

Emily Bratti and some of the other MIDA dancers.

IAM skaters getting in on it...

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
"And the next total eclipse anywhere is 12 August 2026, covering large areas of the northern hemisphere, although totality will be limited to Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia and a small area of Portugal. The UK will see a partial eclipse of more than 90%."

So those of us in these areas, our turn is 12.08.26 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information