The 2024 Total Solar Eclipse Thread

SamChez

Please don't use eclipse glasses from 2017. They go bad after 3 years, you could do some damage.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Perfect weather here and we're supposed to be 100% totality, but it's kind of boring and I want to yell at the moon to just get on with it. I'm already wandering around the yard. Checking progress every 5 minutes or so

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Perfect weather here and we're supposed to be 100% totality, but it's kind of boring and I want to yelll at the moon to just get on with it. I'm already wandering around the yard. Checking progress every 5 minutes or so
I walked to the grocery store and back a few minutes ago and I was thinking of my coworkers closer to the totality who are going to be out all afternoon. I'm like, nothing is happening. :lol:

jadingirl

I’m just a bit north of Toronto
Took the day off to watch it
Cloudy here but they r breaking up so hopefully we’ll see it

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I walked to the grocery store and back a few minutes ago and I was thinking of my coworkers closer to the totality who are going to out all afternoon. I'm like, nothing is happening. :lol:
It's going to be almost another hour before we get to the big event. It's hot outside and I'm back inside. We're at a little over 25% right now. I will say the birds seem to know something is happening because the finch flock left about 10 minutes ago. Or maybe they got bored waiting as well. I hope all the people here sitting out in the sun have plenty of sunscreen. They're all sweating right now and probably wondering what they're doing sitting in the sun for an hour and a half.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I just got an email from my all-news radio station that I can listen to eclipse coverage on the radio. :lol:

Supposedly the sun just began to be covered here at 2:04 pm

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
There was a break in the clouds here just a minute ago. My brother went outside with his solar glasses. He said that the moon has covered almost half the sun here. He said it's beautiful. The clouds are covering the sun again now. The point of totality here will be at 1:46 p.m. Just adding that it's central time here.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I just got an email from my all-news radio station that I can listen to eclipse coverage on the radio. :lol:

Supposedly the sun just began to be covered here at 2:04 pm
Yes, an audio version of an eclipse must be thrilling. :lol: I did watch a NOVA special and what the people who study the sun are recording and hoping to analyze is really interesting. It explained in detail exactly what we should see during the total blockage by the moon which is quite a lot including moon topography in shadow.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
DH is biking back from a conference in an hour. I told him not to look up since I don’t want to trade the cat in for a guide dog. We are both indifferent and didn’t even realize the timing this afternoon.

skategal

Bunny mama
Just tested our glasses and they work great. Another few minutes before it starts here.

Can’t believe what a great view we will have off our back patio. We are in 90-95% totality zone.

We lucked out with this one….full sun.

It’s almost unbelievable considering this is only the second day of sun in the past 3 weeks. :lol:

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
It's started here. We have high clouds - I don't have glasses so I can't look at it, but it is getting dimmer out there (I'm at work). We are just outside of the 100% area, so something like 98% - supposed to peak at 3:14, which is 45 minutes from now.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Yes, an audio version of an eclipse must be thrilling. :lol:
:lol: I'm not rushing to turn the radio on.

OTOH, I'm following it mostly on this thread, so sorta same difference. :lol:

Actually when it gets closer to the big moment here, I think I'll take my dog for a walk and see what's what in my neighborhood. I don't have eclipse glasses so won't be looking at the sun today.

Vagabond

Once upon a time, I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart :fragile:
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of the heart
Once upon a time, there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say
A total eclipse of the heart​

rfisher

Let the skating begin
We're at the 80% mark and it's amazing how powerful the sun is. You can hardly tell that it's mostly in shadow except the temps have dropped a little. Well the totality was actually pretty cool. I can understand how primitive peoples going about their daily business and suddenly the sun literally disappears could be a little freaked out. Then it pops back out. The Choctaw have a story that it's a giant black squirrel that eats the sun and the women bang on their pots to scare the squirrel away. I kind of wanted to bang on a pot for a minute there.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
There's nothing I can do
Nothing I can say
Excuse me, we don't need that stuck in our heads! :p

Badams

Cloudy as crap here. I can't even figure out where the sun actually is. 100% cloud coverage to match the 100% moon. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

Simone411

There was another break in the clouds at 1:43 p.m. My brother said that the sun is almost covered by the moon. He said you could see part of the corona on one side. Y'all it is so dark here now, but not as dark as Texarkana! It's pitch black there!

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I'd advise against staring at the eclipse. For one thing, it's dangerous for your eyes. For another thing, it's very rude 😉

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m dying laughing at the news anchors.

One guy just said something about this “once in a lifetime event” and next sentence said that he will be 78 when it happens again in his home province. :lol:

Simone411

The sun came back out about five minutes ago. I never dreamed I would see something like this. We had been watching on the NBC local news, and that's when we saw how dark it was in Texarkana. Well, I got to say that I saw darkness (sort of like the sunsetting for the evening) in the mid day.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
There's nothing I can do
Nothing I can say
Oh … you just reminded me that last time there was a lunar eclipse here, we went walking to the park near where we were staying to view it and the there was a group that shout-sang that song ON REPEAT for the entire duration of the eclipse.

It got old, real fast.

Lacey

Live outside of Philly, sent glasses to 9 grandkids and 3 kids and their others here, in Durham NC and Nashville TN with timing instructions per their zip codes. I'm still chicken to use, we'll seee.

Watching on TV, does anyone agree with me that not all people are using glasses properly,, even some of the commentators...

My 1+ year old Lab is sleeping in her inside pen. After long walks in am and pm, she usually sleeps all day. But she has been whimpering, and something--the eclipse? seems to be upsetting her nap, she is having nightmares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information