Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

bbkenn

I confess I don't get the criticism of the SD. Personally, I find it amazing. Yes, it's ballroom latin. Fantastically danced ballroom latin. Every movement is exciting. It exceeds by far the 2011 FD and the 2012 SD. Honestly, sometimes I think people are never satisfied, fans or no fans, with what Tessa and Scott do. A few days ago, there were complaints (here or on GS, I can't remember), that the music choices won't sound Latin enough and that the program will be a way of "getting around" the rules, for the sake of originality. (I am just paraphrasing what I read). Now that we've seen the SD, or parts of it, and it is obviously very Latin, we're complaining that it seems forced and it's too DWTS.
I mean... whatever. As a fan, of them and of ice dance, I am happy and proud that Tessa and Scott have two fantastic programs which will grow throughout the season. And I'm gonna enjoy the hell outta them.

Here here. Totally agree. I think it's fantastic and the FD to die for. Love them both.

princeton123

So I liked their SD way more in competition than I did in practice. Serves me right for judging them by a half-skated program done in practice tbh.

Still not as good as Prince....but what SD is?

randomsplashes

I can't gush enough about the choreography, loved the opening sequence -so sharp and powerful! And the way that they skate so closely, just in a league of their own.

Looking at today's score of 79.96...it took Tessa and Scott up to NHK last season to reach that number. That's pretty amazing. Knowing that they'll continue to improve on this program makes me think that they might shatter their world record ;)

asunta

There is nothing lady like about Scott in that dance.
I say this despite the fact I find that comment about "lady like " clothes slightly offensive
I thought they were fantastic. Sensual, playful and smooth.
Best music/music cuts of the day.
It needs more mileage.
I thought Tessa's costume was amazing and I actually liked Scott's much better in performance.
Scott had become quite hot IMO.
But yeah the hair needs to be fixed.
It's distracting.
For you hair are distracting, for me flashy shirt with horrible v slit (it's like an exemplification of
'epic" song I'm too sexy for this shirt - it's irony of course) :mad:

Kitsch it's a strange "beast" it is very thin line between acceptable, pleasing flamboyance and tacky embarrassment.
Pleasing flamboyance were VM Prince costumes for me.
PS I did not write anything about their dance yet, so please do not take my words out of context.

Last edited:

Alexandria

Wow! That was....wow! I remember last year thinking, this has a lot of potential but they have a lot of work to do. This year, they're almost there already which is pretty amazing. I actually really like the music, especially the first song which seems to be what some have an issue with. I do think they could work on the transitions between the songs to make them flow more smoothly but that doesn't have anything to do with their skating, which is incredible.

Shayii

Just saw the video gosh I love this dance! They're having a blast out there, great start to the season! BTW what was Marie trying to do to Scott's hair in the knc lol.

Zazy

My thoughts:

Positives
It's miles better than their last latin SD (not a hard thing to do but still...)
I like how it's really packed, and they're definitely the best at translating latin to the ice.
The rhumba section looks like it could be great with some more practice.
They look very strong for this time of year.

Negatives
That's the worst no-touch sequence they've ever had. It has nothing to do with the music, it's tacky as hell, and I'm really not a fan of interrupting the flow of a step sequence to pose for a few seconds.
Tessa was overselling it a bit.
It's ok but nothing special. After their Prince SD, that's a disappointment.
Not a huge fan of the costumes.

Overall, lots of room for growth and I like how they're challenging themselves.
But in terms of pure enjoyment, I like H/D's program a lot better.

Last edited:

Zazy

It got a level 4 so that is pretty great. But I do take your meaning. :)

I meant the whole "Hotel California" bit actually, the partial step sequence has a lot of potential.

I've figured out why I hate the no-touch step sequence so much. The requirements mean they have to focus on smooth edges, the complete opposite of latin. So they try to compensate with the arm movements and posing but it just creates a disconnect and it ends up looking like a caricature of latin. They'd be better off making it less "latin-y", paring down the shimmying and arm movements. Look at H/D's sequence: less is more.

kittysk8ts

I meant the whole "Hotel California" bit actually, the partial step sequence has a lot of potential.

I've figured out why I hate the no-touch step sequence so much. The requirements mean they have to focus on smooth edges, the complete opposite of latin. So they try to compensate with the arm movements and posing but it just creates a disconnect and it ends up looking like a caricature of latin. They'd be better off making it less "latin-y", paring down the shimmying and arm movements. Look at H/D's sequence: less is more.
Fair enough re your rhumba comments. I LOVE the no-touch step sequence though, soooo. :shuffle: LOL. Thanks for your comments :)

Zazy

Literally how did I insult you lmao...
I'm sure you don't need me to spell it out but here goes:
Ridiculing someone's opinion (yikes, lol, etc.), especially on something this subjective, is pretty close to an insult to me.
I know that's your schtick but it's getting old and I didn't feel like ignoring it this time. Maybe not the right decision...

iggie

i'm glad they went ALL out for this short dance. they didn't have to go the route of understatement, demureness or restraint. it's funny because seeing the hotel california section by itself at HPC, i would have thought this would have been languid, floating, and sultry, but the program as a whole is anything but. and i see their vision and i like this direction. i'm glad they went there -- and damn, girl, that dress is sheer.

i also, love, love, LOVE how they brought what they do on the floor to the ice. not a move and then they go ice dance. they brought almost every last move to this short dance, in every part of the short dance, from step sequence (which is amazing, sexy, bold, dynamic and musical) to the opening steps to the transitions etc. it's a classic compliment for them: they dance, they don't just skate.

i keep saying, i have NEVER seen them skate like this. i have never seen them move like this. i've never seen them perform like this. i'm saying this for tessa and for scott. just, wow. they adapted old lifts and put the extra time to good use.

Alexandria

After listening to Love on the Brain play after their SD, I can't get them doing an exhibition to that song out of my head. It would be so sexy and they'd kill it!

Last edited:

princeton123

I'm sure you don't need me to spell it out but here goes:
Ridiculing someone's opinion (yikes, lol, etc.), especially on something this subjective, is pretty close to an insult to me.
I know that's your schtick but it's getting old and I didn't feel like ignoring it this time. Maybe not the right decision...

Yikes, I don't know what to tell you if you're offended by a word like yikes....

Anyway, back to V/M. The first cut of 'Sympathy for the Devil' into the rhumba is just dreadful and they need to change it stat.

double runner

Tessa can wear a burlap sack and she would look amazing. That said, I'm not sure how to feel about the costumes. I want to believe they won't be wearing this come February, especially since Tessa was wearing something different for their SD at last year's ACI. Those costumes scream "expensive" and definitely not something that was pulled off the rack but I miss the simple, elegant look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information