Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

chantilly

I’d like to see them do an entire story telling programme, meaning the entire hour or 48 minutes would contain several programs with and without other skaters.
I really loved it when Kurt did that black and white character number in his special years ago.
So it could be a ballet or something created with modern music and a story put together with the music etc.

bbkenn

"In The Skating Lesson thread in the Trash Can someone posted that in the recent TSL mocking review of the Tessa Virtue Tour (I mean the Thank You Canada Tour ;)) that it was mentioned (I’m assuming by Lease) that Bruno Marcotte and Meagan Duhamel are relocating to Florida for coaching positions. This is very interesting if true (and I don’t doubt that it is because Meagan and Dave Lease are buddies)."

"...When I said it, I thought it sounded rather preposterous and fit with the entire over the top nature of The Thank You Canada Tour and the episode at large."

Can anyone explain what this might mean? I don't get on this board very often, especially as I've been sick this past week, but if you've heard the latest TSL episode mentioned above and TSL's response about the "over the top nature of the Canada tour", do you know what they're objecting to?

Sonata

As much as I would like to see them do new material, I would enjoy a Moulin Rouge on Ice special, like they did with Carmen on Ice in the 80s, or The Planets in the 90s.

Shayii

"In The Skating Lesson thread in the Trash Can someone posted that in the recent TSL mocking review of the Tessa Virtue Tour (I mean the Thank You Canada Tour ;)) that it was mentioned (I’m assuming by Lease) that Bruno Marcotte and Meagan Duhamel are relocating to Florida for coaching positions. This is very interesting if true (and I don’t doubt that it is because Meagan and Dave Lease are buddies)."

"...When I said it, I thought it sounded rather preposterous and fit with the entire over the top nature of The Thank You Canada Tour and the episode at large."

Can anyone explain what this might mean? I don't get on this board very often, especially as I've been sick this past week, but if you've heard the latest TSL episode mentioned above and TSL's response about the "over the top nature of the Canada tour", do you know what they're objecting to?
It was just TSL doing a review of TTYCT which was very snarky. It didn’t bother me but others might object. And it was twitter VM fans that asked for a review in the first place.

Tessa said she and scott are touring in the spring and summer. I’m hoping they use a different choreographer besides Sam.

pani

Who care about TSL? We saw videos with audience reaction, standing ovations.
It will be hard to get the same success next time, because this will be not after OG, where team Canada won team gold, skaters will be not in the same shape, because most part of them retired already. But will see, what VM will show and how they could sold tickets this time.

Emdee

I went for the Kitchener show and it was sold out. There was a tremendous amount of excitement and not because of the Olympics alone. The smaller venues don’t get many shows and there were many families. There was such an air of excitement.

I hope the next tour succeeds.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

I think the next tour will succeed, but I agree with @pani that it won't have quite the same excitement or success as a post-Olympic tour. Interest in the entire Canadian Olympic skating team was very high when the first tour went on sale, and there is always going to be a certain contingent of fans who only get excited about figure skating right after the Olympics and then forget about it for four years. There was also a fairly large contingent of post-Olympic V&M fans who were drawn in more by their story and the "love story/are they or aren't they??" aspect of their partnership who have likely moved on to another obsession by now. That being said, V&M are still extremely popular and there are lots of people who will buy tickets based on their star power alone, regardless of who else is in the cast. The smaller venues are also more likely to sell well because skating shows tend to be something a family would do in a smaller town/city where there aren't as many options for entertainment.

It will also be interested to see how much (if any) crossover there is between the cast of their tour and the cast of CSOI. CSOI may see V&M's tour as a rival enough to put restrictions in their cast members' contracts that prevent them from doing both. If that is the case, V&M will lose most of the biggest skating names in Canada and will have to do some scrambling to put together a top-notch cast.

Japanfan

dramagrrl said:
I think the next tour will succeed, but I agree with @pani that it won't have quite the same excitement or success as a post-Olympic tour. Interest in the entire Canadian Olympic skating team was very high when the first tour went on sale, and there is always going to be a certain contingent of fans who only get excited about figure skating right after the Olympics and then forget about it for four years.

The first half of the show was dedicated to iconic/signature programs, which is what I enjoyed about it. I'm not sure what they could do instead of that, other than have the skaters bring back other well-known programs.

To me, the second half of the show was pretty standard fare for show skating. If I had not known it was the TYCD, I would have believed it to have been SOI.

Granted, I don't care that much for show skating in general.

Some good ideas here, however. Love the concept of a Moulin Rouge on ice.

dramagrrl

I would also love to see V&M do a full story-based tour or a television special along the lines of the good ol' days (Brian Orser's Night Moves and Blame It On the Blues, Kurt's You Must Remember This, Liz Manley's Back to the Beanstalk and The Trial of Red Riding Hood, etc.). Moulin Rouge on Ice would probably be wickedly expensive in terms of all the rights they would have to secure and pay for, but an original story (either with music written for it or pieced together from different sources) like the ones I mentioned above could be excellent if put in the hands of the right choreographers, music people, director, and producers.

forthewin

I would also love to see V&M do a full story-based tour or a television special along the lines of the good ol' days (Brian Orser's Night Moves and Blame It On the Blues, Kurt's You Must Remember This, Liz Manley's Back to the Beanstalk and The Trial of Red Riding Hood, etc.). Moulin Rouge on Ice would probably be wickedly expensive in terms of all the rights they would have to secure and pay for, but an original story (either with music written for it or pieced together from different sources) like the ones I mentioned above could be excellent if put in the hands of the right choreographers, music people, director, and producers.
I really wanna this to happen. I know it's a lot of work but it would be so brilliant.

lauravvv

It will also be interested to see how much (if any) crossover there is between the cast of their tour and the cast of CSOI. CSOI may see V&M's tour as a rival enough to put restrictions in their cast members' contracts that prevent them from doing both. If that is the case, V&M will lose most of the biggest skating names in Canada and will have to do some scrambling to put together a top-notch cast.
They would probably have to invite a few foreign skaters which, of course, would be both more expensive and difficult in the time of the GP season - most likely they would be able to get only retired skaters or those "taking a break". Otherwise they would have to make do only with those Canadian skaters who were not invited to SOI which most likely would not make for a very "star studded" cast.

pani

Scott said Osmond will be at TYCT2. She also will be at CSOI.
Everyone will be at CSOI, except VM. Wich is still sad for me. Skaters, most decorated skaters in Olympic history have less invitation, then skaters who even never won WCh.

lauravvv

pani - I think it was Tessa and Scott's own decision to not take part in Stars on Ice to attract a bigger audience to their own tour and/or because they will simply be too busy planning for it. I don't believe they were not invited. I think the organizers of SOI realize that they are the biggest draw. That would be very unbusinesslike - to not invite them just because SOI organizers probably don't like that they are making a rivaling tour.

Rafter

Scott said Osmond will be at TYCT2. She also will be at CSOI.
Everyone will be at CSOI, except VM. Wich is still sad for me. Skaters, most decorated skaters in Olympic history have less invitation, then skaters who even never won WCh.

So then this pretty much confirms Osmond will not be competing next season.

I wonder if W/P will do the tour again? Hmmm.

Rafter

pani - I think it was Tessa and Scott's own decision to not take part in Stars on Ice to attract a bigger audience to their own tour and/or because they will simply be too busy planning for it. I don't believe they were not invited. I think the organizers of SOI realize that they are the biggest draw. That would be very unbusinesslike - to not invite them just because SOI organizers probably don't like that they are making a rivaling tour.

ITA.

I’m sure IMG isn’t too happy about V&M not doing SOI and then going off and starting their own tour.

honey

So then this pretty much confirms Osmond will not be competing next season.

I had the same thought when I read that. Just curious, @pani when did Scott say she would be in the next tour? I'm not surprised at all, but as of nationals a couple of weeks ago she was still playing coy about her future plans.

I've wondered as well about the IMG skaters and whether they would be able to continue to do SOI and Thank You Canada. It would seem short-sighted for both tours to prevent skaters from doing both, but you never know.

pani

I had the same thought when I read that. Just curious, @pani when did Scott say she would be in the next tour? I'm not surprised at all, but as of nationals a couple of weeks ago she was still playing coy about her future plans.

I've wondered as well about the IMG skaters and whether they would be able to continue to do SOI and Thank You Canada. It would seem short-sighted for both tours to prevent skaters from doing both, but you never know.
He said this in radio interview when Osmond in studio and talked with him by phone

angi

He said this in radio interview when Osmond in studio and talked with him by phone
I think it was mostly in a teasing matter. While I don't expect Kaetlyn to continue, nothing was made official so far.

forthewin

If I recall correctly, V/M move their tour to the summer. So more competing skaters can join the tour. I think it's a brilliant move. People especially students have more free time in the summer and who wouldn't wanna attend a 'cool' show when it's hot outside?

pani

Summer? I didn't read about this. I don't think this is good idea, because in Summer a lot off people spend money for vacation.

Shayii

They didn’t move the tour to summer they’ve always said it would be in fall 2019. I think it going to be hard to get skaters that are still competing to perform in their tour especially with Skate Canada’s new rules.

forthewin

My bad. I swear I read somewhere they intend to move it to the summer. But I think it doesn't matter. Most of the household Canadian skaters are retired anyway and even the competing skaters can do parts of the tour. I mean take W/P for example, they attend the whole tour and now they still are in the mix for WC. The only concern is the ranking if the skater skip the GP series. But I think if they only do part of the tour and the GP series at the same time, it could solve the problem.

forthewin

They didn’t move the tour to summer they’ve always said it would be in fall 2019. I think it going to be hard to get skaters that are still competing to perform in their tour especially with Skate Canada’s new rules.
What's this rule? I didn't pay much attention to SC these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information