Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Golden1

@nicotine
Stop reading this thread and there wouldn't be the need to comment here.

Happy 2019 fellow VM fans!!! Have a great party and be healthy, happy and filled with joy and love!!
Hopefully this new year will bring new programs by our favorite pair and my personal wish: Hopefully 2019 will bring them to central Europe and give me a chance to see them live again!!!

Emdee

@nicotine
Stop reading this thread and there wouldn't be the need to comment here.

Happy 2019 fellow VM fans!!! Have a great party and be healthy, happy and filled with joy and love!!
Hopefully this new year will bring new programs by our favorite pair and my personal wish: Hopefully 2019 will bring them to central Europe and give me a chance to see them live again!!!
That is my new year’s wish especially for you!

Japanfan

I have a different take...after the SD marking for PC despite a lack lustre performance and the uproar on Social Media that night the tech team knew they couldn’t afford to be biased. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall at the post SD meeting!
VM met the challenge with the performance of the season in their FD. There would have been a huge international uproar if they were denied. Each element would have been scrutinized and ice dancing as a sport may have been dropped from the games. With MR, VM were a fan favourite and not just in Canada. It was a master choice of program ...vibrant vs ethereal.

For whatever reason...IMO the right team won.

I have always felt V&M were the rightful champions.

I agree they were the rightful champions, but a case could have been made for it go the other way. As I've said already, in my view, TBTB intended it to. And I don't think there would have been a uproar had it gone that way - it's ice dance, after all. Just a lot of :argue: within FS communities.

Who wins ice dance at the Olympics doesn't matter that much in the big scheme of themes.

The Accordion

Happy New Year to you all! I didn't realize this until just now but I figured out I saw Virtue and Moir in their first and last Skate Canada competitions and their first and last senior National Championships! I got their book for Christmas and have been watching programs after I read about them. Wonderful journey!

VGThuy

I can't help doubting seriously that should have the harasser been a V/M crazy the whole V/M thread would have been closed down at all or as long.

Well, we'll never know because that hasn't happened. And it was multiple people attached to that thread that was harassing admins and other posters via PMs, emails, and other types of violent messages on other forums. That was the reason Sharpie stepped in the first place. She kept on getting messages and reports from other posters about the behavior of some posters in that thread, then it escalated after her warning. Those posters that were causing trouble for the most part haven't reappeared in the new thread and normal discussion relating to P/C have continued.

If you haven't noticed, V/M are no strangers to people talking all kinds of smack about them on this forum. Sometimes the fans fight back, but so far it did not escalate to the level P/C Thread number 7 did as far as I'm aware. That was a special thread.

Golden1

During the comeback we often talked about B2Ten in this thread. Here is some more information about their support system for Tessa and Scott:
There is no better example of their modus operandi and success than Virtue and Moir’s final competitive act. Skate Canada had prioritized support for the dance team, as did Own The Podium. Working in concert with both, B2ten contributed $360,000 over the last three years of the Pyeongchang quadrennial to fund an integrated support team for Virtue and Moir, who moved their training base to Montreal. It was also home for most members of a team that included coaches, a nutritionist, sport psychologist, osteopath, physiologist, masseur, a Pilates instructor and two strength coaches.
“When Tessa and Scott began working with B2ten, for us and for them it was a perfect fit,” said Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada’s high performance director. “We were 100 per cent behind them in that decision. We have a good relationship with B2ten, in particular the last four years with Dom and myself. We really made sure we were all on the same page.”
Source
Wow!! That's a lot of money!! Adding costumes, travel and other expenses, I don't even want to know what the total sum of the comeback was. I would also really like to know what their income was in that time.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Considering how expensive skating is I'd assume that much didn't cover everything but maybe it did!

Emdee

Pretty sure that costumes and on ice time were separate also coaching. However they did have other support from their endorsements.

Sonata

I actually don’t think $360K is that much considering what they got. :shuffle: That is over the course of three years, so let’s say $120K per year for the services of a slew of people. The costumes were definitely not covered (this has been mentioned in previous interviews with B2Ten that I can’t find right now). Just recall all the people in the room when they were having meetings. It’s definitely not an amount to scoff at though. When that many people are behind you, you better be sure you’re fully invested - which they were.

ETA from the way the sentence is worded, not sure B2Ten invested the above amount on their own or in combo with Skate Canada and Own the Podium.

sap5

It read to me that's the amount B2ten contributed on its own on behalf of VM. But remember, a lot of other B2ten athletes were using the same team VM was using, so B2ten was probably paying a lot more to put that team together, and the share of that cost attributed to VM helps make up the 360,000 over 3 years.

sap5

Hard to believe there was so much excitement in this thread one year ago, and now there's nothing! :) To get things going again, what kind of programs do people hope to see in VM's fall tour? We can talk about VM programs, or entire tour concepts...whatever!

puglover

I know this is not possible really in ice dance but I wish there was a way of doing sort of a "greatest hits". I would love to see "Farrucas" again - or parts of it. With so many brilliant programs, it makes me very nostalgic. I am sure they probably want to do new material though - but I can dream.

Debrah

puglover - I remember Torvill & Dean doing a program during their comeback that was a type of "greatest hits" of theirs - so I don't see why V & M couldn't do something that retold their own story of program evolution but perhaps performing them in a new way, or some kind of twist, or by showing their growth as performer's and in terms of skating skills...

kittysk8ts

I know this is not possible really in ice dance but I wish there was a way of doing sort of a "greatest hits". I would love to see "Farrucas" again - or parts of it. With so many brilliant programs, it makes me very nostalgic. I am sure they probably want to do new material though - but I can dream.
I was pleased to see a lift from FunnyFace when I went to the TYCT :) Would love to see the sbs no touch step from Farrucas again. Genius. And also, danger! LOL.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I'd love to see them take Great Gig In The Sky back on, both as seasoned pros and actually healthy. Revisiting that program today (regarding discussion about the Goose lift evolution in another thread) reminds me that it didn't ever get a full-out, great skate.

pani

I want to see something new. I know this will be non realistic to see new lifts, transitions, but this is what i want from team, like VM.
Always want to see them to skate on rock music (Metalica, Rolling Stones, Scorpions). Something about love, but with power.
Something modern, but not in hip-hop style. I love how they dance hh, but want to see more from them.
Something balletic will be great, but who could made good choreo?
And i miss deep lyric from this tow.

sap5

I don't think its unrealistic to want to see new lifts and transitions! I would hope they would take time to create some, and work with a choreographer who would work with them to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information