Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Golden1

I'm so happy about their PCA win. It's not really worth much but shows the size and dedication of their fans. So awesome!!
TTYCT cast was interviewed for CBC sports the other day and one fun tidbit is Tessa saying they practice the Tango Romantica for fun when Kaitlyn and Andrew practice theirs.

https://youtu.be/gFq8bALA2BM
I love the "retirement" part and Tessa's look when she saw Scott's raised hand :lol:. I just love their interactions.

kittysk8ts

Just checking in to say how fabulous the TYCT was in Moncton on Sunday night. Everyone knows by now what the show consists of, so I will not reiterate.

Our seats were on the ice, right next to the skater's entrance. The skaters were giving us high fives and Scott STOPPED AND GRABBED BOTH OF MY MOTHER'S HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was thrilled, as I was I. What fun. :)

puglover

Memories..... it was around this time last year that I really decided I just had to make it to Canadians in Vancouver to see Moulin Rouge live. It was not convenient at all as my husband and I missed a week or so of our booked and paid for holiday in Palm Springs, and he drove from Calgary to Portland himself and I met him there. It was such a dream come true to watch the practices and see those two stellar performances. I fell in love with Tessa and Scott when they were about 13 and 15, and saw them live a number of times, but last January was the ultimate. They have brought me so much joy over the years and I am grateful to FSU and their fans here that have given me an outlet to express my one and only uberdom. They have had such a great ride and it has been such a great privilege to be along with them. What a lovely experience to travel across Canada and feel the love and appreciation everyday people have for them. I wish we were looking at another few years of them in the competitive ranks but more than anything I wish them a happy and healthy transition to whatever they want their future lives to look like.

Shayii

Memories..... it was around this time last year that I really decided I just had to make it to Canadians in Vancouver to see Moulin Rouge live. It was not convenient at all as my husband and I missed a week or so of our booked and paid for holiday in Palm Springs, and he drove from Calgary to Portland himself and I met him there. It was such a dream come true to watch the practices and see those two stellar performances. I fell in love with Tessa and Scott when they were about 13 and 15, and saw them live a number of times, but last January was the ultimate. They have brought me so much joy over the years and I am grateful to FSU and their fans here that have given me an outlet to express my one and only uberdom. They have had such a great ride and it has been such a great privilege to be along with them. What a lovely experience to travel across Canada and feel the love and appreciation everyday people have for them. I wish we were looking at another few years of them in the competitive ranks but more than anything I wish them a happy and healthy transition to whatever they want their future lives to look like.
Here here :40beers:. What a dream year they've had. In other news looks like most of the cast (and Patrick even though he's not part of the show lol) of TTYCT are on a bus heading to Nashville for the Scott Cares show. I'm still so bitter I can't go because I live so close, but so is the life of a medical student. It is what it is but I'll be bitter for awhile lol.

kittysk8ts

I love that particular performance of MR. ❤️ So happy that you were there. I think they’ll be around for a bit yet, thank goodness.

IloveFS

I don’t really want them back- go out on a high- but I am missing them from the GP right now. It’s a shame we never got a Tango SD/RD.

Impeccable, effortless, unmatched lines as always from them in the closing number of the tour here: https://twitter.com/danielleephoto/status/1058758302224580609?s=21

Did they say they are coming back??? I would be thrilled!!! It's not the same without them around!!! Now, they just have to convince Megan D. to come back as a singles skater!

Golden1

Scott is teaching an adult skater class. Scott Hamilton's Skating Academy is posting clips on instagram right now: Instagram Link Oh, how I wish to be there right now.

Scott and Tessa's 21 summer performance (including Scott Hamilton's introduction) I love what Scott Hamilton said about them and Scott and Tessa's reaction to the band in the beginning. I was also happy to see the "Stay" dress again. Country music is not my style but I liked their skate. Oh, and according to twitter the Moir family was at the show. They are a really supportive family. There's also a clip of some of the skaters (including Tessa) and Cara Moir dancing at the after party.

So, since the Olympics they have been all over Canada, have skated in Asia and the USA now. I'm still waiting for their trip to Europe...

dramagrrl

Sorry if someone already posted this upthread, but for Torontonians like me, VM are going to be signing books at the Bay/Bloor Indigo store from 12-1 PM on Thursday, November 29th. There are really rigid rules about the event - you have to purchase their book from that store, on that day in order to get first-come, first-served wristbands and then you can join the "photo line". They will not be signing any other memorabilia or copies of the book purchased elsewhere or at other times. I think this is kind of ridiculous because I already bought the book at another Indigo store and have the receipt to prove it, but that is just hypothetical for me because a) I can't get out of work in the middle of a weekday and b) it's probably going to be a zoo and I hate standing in lines.

I think there is a similar event on Thursday, Dec. 6th at 12 PM at the Indigo on Robson Street in Vancouver and the same day at 7 PM at the Metrotown Chapters in Burnaby, BC.

dramagrrl

The Ice Dance field is just not the same for me now without them.
Agreed. They made everyone else up their game. The judges have basically already sent the whole field the message that they are skating for silver this season because P/C are unbeatable. That leaves nothing for P/C to work towards (aside from the whole "competing against yourself" idea) and puts an element of discouragement on everyone else, especially those teams that have already won silver and bronze medals at Worlds and other international events. The GPF actually might end up being the most interesting and significant dance event of the season because it will actually be a competition instead of a coronation. (I'm absolutely not saying that P/C aren't the class of the current field by far - in many ways, I think they are - but I always think it makes both skating level and competition less interesting and exciting when one team is essentially guaranteed a win. It is similar to the Simone Biles factor in women's gymnastics for anyone who follows that sport.)

Shayii

The Ice Dance field is just not the same for me now without them.
I was able to watch some skating this weekend because of thanksgiving break. While I was nostalgic, I wasn’t to the point of wanting them back. I think they’re ready to move on with their life. But you're correct there is an investment I don't have now.

@dramagrrl but if a team is the best, should a false competition be created just to make things interesting for the sake of being interesting?

Anyway last night was the last show for TTYCT. Gonna miss it because at least we had content. I don’t think we will be seeing them for awhile. Some pics from St. John’s https://www.facebook.com/jeff.parsons.56/media_set?set=a.10156630501720619&type=3
These ones are cute https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=884265edc78577bf72f16bd010c72ec0&oe=5C74C4FF
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f3026bf809d4f2daeb6e022b3c85b477&oe=5C6EFEBD

Last edited:

dramagrrl

@dramagrrl but if a team is the best, should a false competition be created just to make things interesting for the sake of being interesting?
No, of course not - I am already seeing signs of trying to "create" false competition by heavily pushing the two Russian teams (S/B and S/K), who are nowhere near P/C in overall quality, IMO. This is partly politics because Russian ice dancers have been shut out of the medals at major events for the past few years, but I think it is also partly to give the impression that P/C actually have some competition now that V/M aren't competing, or at least will have some competition leading towards the 2022 Olympics.

With the gymnastics example, many people think that the code of points should be changed to devalue some of the very high level technical difficulty because Biles is able to rack up so many points through her difficulty scores that she can usually win even with multiple falls, but that would be unfair. However, they also do not put enough value in their current scoring system on more difficult dance elements, beautiful choreography, fluidity of movement and musicality, so very few elite gymnasts are spending training time trying to improve in those areas when they are struggling to keep up the insane amount of difficulty required to even score near Simone.

In ice dance, the current system makes GOE so important that a team like P/C can win even with less technical difficulty and lower base levels (e.g., the level 1 they got on their first TR pattern in the RD at GP France). It also puts way too much into the hands of the judges and the subjective side of the sport rather than putting more emphasis on the technical aspects. The current scoring system also discourages technical difficulty and risk because there are ways to get Level 4s with much lower-risk lifts and other components, so why would one spend time developing new and more difficult lifts if they can get Level 4s with easier ones, especially if they are already winning competitions by 10+ points?

All that being said, I think even with GOE value being lessened and requirements for Level 4 lifts and other elements being raised, P/C would still be winning because the overall quality of their skating is so far beyond everyone else who is currently competing. They would just be winning by less crazy margins, and would perhaps be encouraged to take more risks in difficulty and even style if they had closer competition, like they did when V/M were their direct rivals.

Shayii

I see thanks for your clarification. I haven’t followed skating in-depth this season to have much of an opinion on the new rules. I did enjoy the dance event though, I’m starting to warm up to S/K (random fact you probably don’t care to know lol).

puglover

Tessa and Scott's Moulin Rouge was so brilliant that it garnered so many new fans for ice dance. They created a real buzz at the Olympics that could extend into the future. I am not seeing programs that will continue to add to that this year. I admit to Canadian bias but I do love G&P's "Vincent". Not too much I want to watch over and over again this year. I have always loved H&D but don't love their free dance this year.

I have even more respect for the versatility of Tessa and Scott.

Shayii

@puglover I feel you. A lot of this year’s FDs look so much alike everyone is doing lyrical it seems like. That’s why I appreciate the British team’s disco program. It makes me curious what Chock and Bates are doing. I’m disappointed in H/D’s Romeo and Juliet. I liked W/P and H/B’s FDs. P/C I loved their tango but not the FD. I think it’s the music. I prefer their piano music more than this. I haven’t watched a lot of SDs yet so I don’t have too much opinion on those.

puglover

@puglover I feel you. A lot of this year’s FDs look so much alike everyone is doing lyrical it seems like. That’s why I appreciate the British team’s disco program. It makes me curious what Chock and Bates are doing. I’m disappointed in H/D’s Romeo and Juliet. I liked W/P and H/B’s FDs. P/C I loved their tango but not the FD. I think it’s the music. I prefer their piano music more than this. I haven’t watched a lot of SDs yet so I don’t have too much opinion on those.
I really enjoy the British disco as well and audiences seem to really like it. I would have thought this year would be a good one to try new things and experiment.

Golden1

I had to realize that I don't really care about ice dance without Tessa and Scott. The new judging system makes it even less a sport than it has been before. I don't like PC's skating at all and I also don't really enjoy HD this year. I really like GP's program but they just don't have the judges behind them. I really enjoyed SB but Stepanova sometimes seems to be so "lanky" (? I don't know the correct English word for what I mean). As a German I hope that Joti will go back to skating with a new partner soon. Maybe my love for ice dance will come back then. However in the end, no one is as good as Tessa is and no one is as good as Scott is and nobody is even close to how good these two have been together. It was a privilege to be able to follow their career for all these years.

Luckily I enjoy the direction pairs has taken, so maybe I will concentrate more on this part of skating.

Last edited:

IloveFS

I thought PC's RD looked like they were studying the arm movements of VM all summer. For the first time, I saw huge similarities between the two teams! Maybe it's just the coaching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information