Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Judy

puglover

I have watched the CBC montage countless times now - I have been watching it as the last thing I do before I go to bed. There have been so many wonderful programs, dresses and, most importantly, MOMENTS over the years. I know not everyone was a fan of "Funny Face" but I love, love, love that red dress, Tessa's hair, and the marvelous facial expressions in that program. It shows their ability to convey more than the usual - beauty, love, passion, angst that are what we commonly see in ice dance. Not sure there are any decent tickets left in Calgary for CSOI but I may have to see what I can find. Not sure they can come to my city and I miss it.

pani

I have watched the CBC montage countless times now - I have been watching it as the last thing I do before I go to bed. There have been so many wonderful programs, dresses and, most importantly, MOMENTS over the years. I know not everyone was a fan of "Funny Face" but I love, love, love that red dress, Tessa's hair, and the marvelous facial expressions in that program. It shows their ability to convey more than the usual - beauty, love, passion, angst that are what we commonly see in ice dance. Not sure there are any decent tickets left in Calgary for CSOI but I may have to see what I can find. Not sure they can come to my city and I miss it.
Good luck! Can't wait to read reports from everyone, who will go to see them at CSOI.
And can't wait to read reports from Japan and found what music they will use for show number.

puglover

In one of her interviews, Marie France spoke of them returning to Montreal to work on new exhibition material.

D

Deleted member 74551

Have I missed them officially retiring? Of course I 100% expect them to do so, but TSL mentioned them confirming it in their Worlds recap.

Looking forward to seeing what they've put together for SOI! They've not had much time but they were in Montreal for a bit.

Japanfan

Exactly. Jock radio DJs are talking about their appearance on Ellen like it is celebrity news. People are going to remember "Moulin Rouge" far beyond this year's season, whereas I think the only people who will remember PC's "Moonlight Sonata" are hardcore figure skating fans (P/C fans obviously, but also people like us who will remember it even if it is just in connection to the fight for Olympic gold).

I doubt most people who aren't hardcore skating fans are going to remember either program, TBH. I did hear that 'Moulin Rouge' was replayed throughout the world, in which case a lot of non-skating fans would have seen it. But will they remember it? Probably not.

P/C fans would obviously come in and lynch me ( :lynch: ) for saying that and claim that they will always hold the WR, they won the FD, costume malfunction, blah blah blah, but as lovely as a program it was, it did not connect with the general audience or create an "Olympic Moment" the way VM's FD did, and that mattered in the end way more than a WR score that only serious figure skating fans really understand.

I don't know whether that is true, although I agree with you to a certain extent. I do think P/C had an Olympic moment with 'Moonlight Sonata' and although they didn't connect with the audience like V/M do, it's a different kind of program. V/M Moulin Rouge demands audience engagement and demands that attention be given to the characters/performance, whereas one can just sit back and enjoy the ride with 'Moonlight Sonata'.

And the costume malfunction did have something to do with V/M win. Even if it cost P/C only a bit, V/M won by less than a point in the end (or less than 2).

Also, V/M skated last in the penultimate position. I believe that if P/C had had that position, they probably would have won.

I say all this as a V/M uber. I was over the moon to see them win their second Olympics, but didn't think they had a chance going in as the judges had clearly determined that P\C had the superior and more Olympic worthy FD (much as V/M did with Mahler in 2010).

IoanaC

IloveFS

Have I missed them officially retiring? Of course I 100% expect them to do so, but TSL mentioned them confirming it in their Worlds recap.

Looking forward to seeing what they've put together for SOI! They've not had much time but they were in Montreal for a bit.

I am wondering why TSL made it sound so official BEFORE VM made the announcement formally. VM have said that they "need some time".

Judy

I am wondering why TSL made it sound so official BEFORE VM made the announcement formally. VM have said that they "need some time".

Some skaters don’t make an official announcement like MichelleKwan. Did they do it after Sochi?

kittysk8ts

I loved Funny Face :) Saw it live at Canadian Nationals with that final lift 2 feet from my face. Spectacular.

Golden1

Can anyone help, please? Silly me forgot to save a video of the Olympic SD (IE) or bookmark a link! Does anyone have a link to the SD including the k&c with English commentary?

ximianKernel

Can anyone help, please? Silly me forgot to save a video of the Olympic SD (IE) or bookmark a link! Does anyone have a link to the SD including the k&c with English commentary?

NBC commentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uvlc9sD172z3Ofc1v-tH5ISDbFhic-FV/view
NBC extended commentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w0L47Bpl22jBLkgUaDpx_7hUf6IEMzLF/view
B.Eurosport https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lvQP9lzfrAvf8oEU7SDpdNDaswTJWBP6/view
BBC https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uSwZ0ygCi_p_OoeG3nY3xdBE0IK55M_o/view
CBC/TSN with warmup and post-dance interview https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fyz2If5KdbZC9OZSyCwsXfUnvJwLunZF/view

Golden1

Wow! You are amazing! Thank you so very much :)
In another tread there is a discussion about Tessa and Scott being "GOATS" or not. For me, the question is easy: It never gets old to watch their performances. I just watched the same SD in all of the above versions and I enjoyed it every time. Only the greatest ice dancers of all time can make me do that. :D

Shayii

Tessa and Scott skated to Rock my World by Michael Jackson. Not gonna lie I wanted something different, but it’s ok. They also did Moulin Rouge. All the details are sort of scattered. https://68.media.tumblr.com/2bbd369aadc94212a78ffb2922666bd4/tumblr_p6gei9PP211vhmfzdo1_1280.jpg

I love this picture from the TE at Olympics that Danielle took http://danielleearlphotography.tumb...flashback-friday-photo-1-team-canada-cheering. Look at Luca Lanotte in the second pic, there’s just so much respect for them (I wish we could see the other countries). And Eric holding the Tessa and Scott sign :lol:

dramagrrl

Does anyone have a Google Drive link to their FD from Pyeongchang with B. Eurosport commentary?

Golden1

I love reading what other people in the sport say about Tessa and Scott. Tim Koleto wrote on twitter about them:
I just saw this quote from an interview we did less than a year ago. In the time since, we’ve shared practices with Tessa and Scott, competed against one another, and I have learned so much from them as a competitor and as a person. So grateful. Life is a crazy ride.
You can read the quote at the source.

He then goes on:
When we first came to Montreal, Scott came up to me right away and gave me the biggest, most welcoming hug and passed on nothing but words of kindness, affirmation, and positivity to me. They will always be legendary to me. Anyway, it's kind of a random, silly thing, but I think life occasionally passes you these really beautiful full-circle moments on your journey. Take the time to notice and appreciate them with gratitude and humility.
source

Ohyes

I doubt most people who aren't hardcore skating fans are going to remember either program, TBH. I did hear that 'Moulin Rouge' was replayed throughout the world, in which case a lot of non-skating fans would have seen it. But will they remember it? Probably not.

I don't know whether that is true, although I agree with you to a certain extent. I do think P/C had an Olympic moment with 'Moonlight Sonata' and although they didn't connect with the audience like V/M do, it's a different kind of program. V/M Moulin Rouge demands audience engagement and demands that attention be given to the characters/performance, whereas one can just sit back and enjoy the ride with 'Moonlight Sonata'.

And the costume malfunction did have something to do with V/M win. Even if it cost P/C only a bit, V/M won by less than a point in the end (or less than 2).

Also, V/M skated last in the penultimate position. I believe that if P/C had had that position, they probably would have won.

I say all this as a V/M uber. I was over the moon to see them win their second Olympics, but didn't think they had a chance going in as the judges had clearly determined that P\C had the superior and more Olympic worthy FD (much as V/M did with Mahler in 2010).

-The judges did but the crowd (who roared for V/M and gave them a standing o but were kinda quiet for P/C) and most people on social media agreed that V/M's FD was far superior. There's a reason why it went viral and Tessa and Scott were trending 1 worldwide while MS barely made a blimp. P/C BARELY made an Olympic impact. Heck, the shibs made more of an Olympic impact then P/C did. No one really talked about P/C. Maybe if they performed MS like they did at the GPF they would have gotten more of a response.

- Indeed the judges were for P/C but Even if they didn't have the costume malfunction they had twizzle bobbles in their SD and a slightly underwhelming free (It was no euros or GPF) with the crowd and most casual 4 year fans on V/M
side which would have still had V/M in first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information