Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Sylvia

TBD
Tessa was on Jann Arden's podcast (November 12, 2022; 44 mins):

Jann Arden welcomes celebrated Olympian-turned-Executive Advisor Tessa Virtue for a conversation about her transition out of competitive ice dancing. Jann and Sarah ask her about finding confidence on and off the ice, her relationship with Toronto Maple Leafs Defenceman Morgan Rielly, going back to school, and what she dreams of doing next!
Having retired from skating, Tessa joined Deloitte as an Executive Advisor, working with the firm's senior leaders and their clients to translate her learning and experience as a world-class, high-performance athlete to the corporate world. Specifically, Tessa has been a key member of a team creating a new approach to working with organizations to help them and their people operate in a state of performance, allowing individuals to feel and perform at their best while also elevating the performance of teams, business units and the entire organization. Drawing parallels to her experience with pressure, competition and different approaches to training and coaching, Tessa shares important lessons in mental health and well-being, both as an accomplished speaker and an advisor.
Tessa is also a member of the Order of Canada. She has her MBA from the Smith School of Business and is currently working towards her Masters of Applied Positive Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.

2-minute clip from the podcast: https://twitter.com/etalkCTV/status/1591465840305704961

Sylvia

TBD
Nov. 2020:
Congratulations to Tessa and Scott on their appointment to the Order of Canada!

Is this a different award or the in person ceremony that was delayed due to the pandemic?

Dec. 13, 2022 media advisory for tomorrow's ceremony: https://www.gg.ca/en/media/news/2022/appointees-order-canada-december-14
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Mary Simon, Governor General of Canada, will invest 14 Officers (O.C.) and 35 Members (C.M.) into the Order of Canada during a ceremony at Rideau Hall.
The Order of Canada is one of our country’s highest honours. Appointments are made for sustained achievement at three levels: Companion, Officer and Member. Officers and Members may be elevated within the Order in recognition of further achievements, based on continued exceptional or extraordinary service to Canada.

Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Time: 11:00 a.m.

Order of Canada appointees - December 14, 2022:

Scott Moir, C.M. and Tessa Virtue, C.M.
Ilderton, Ontario and London, Ontario

Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue have brought ice dancing to unprecedented heights. The most decorated team in figure skating’s history, they have won more than 50 international medals, including three Olympic gold medals, and were the youngest ice dancers to stand atop the Olympic podium. They have emboldened tomorrow’s figure skaters through their displays of elegant strength and chemistry, and by promoting inclusivity in sport as proud supporters of Special Olympics Canada. Undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with as partners, they also support their communities as individuals.

ETA that @victorskid has bumped up the original GSD thread from 2 years ago with the news about tomorrow's ceremony:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Scott felt compelled to tweet this today: https://twitter.com/ScottMoir/status/1612865141233651713

ETA - in response to this article:
Apparently the "controversial" quote was removed: https://twitter.com/mrandmrsjisbon/status/1612870775631118337

Excerpt from the the article:
MOVING FORWARD: Moir, who’s married and has a two-year-old daughter, recently congratulated Virtue on her engagement to Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly. Once in a while, he admits he will press her for some inside info on his favourite team.
His skaters want to hear stories about Virtue, too.
“I looked up to Tessa so much and still do every day,” said Carreira, 22. “She came to the rink once and it was literally the best day. Getting to train with Scott Moir every day is a privilege. I grew up in Montreal and they were my heroes.”
Moir believes the much-loved on-ice connection he shared with Virtue can be taught technically, but he has no interest in churning out mere carbon copies.
“These athletes aren’t going to be able to be Tessa and Scott, because in four, eight and 12 years, Tessa and Scott aren’t going to be good enough,” he said. “They already aren’t. We wouldn’t have won the last Olympics. The sport is evolving, the skaters will and I have to, as well. It’s about making it their own. Everyone has a different look and story.”

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Eh... it's not very smart when you're a coach with students and vested interests/politiks. Wonder if he thought better of it, or someone at Montreal IAM gave him an earful? :lol:

Thank you for sharing the article!

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Eh... it's not very smart when you're a coach with students and vested interests/politiks. Wonder if he thought better of it, or someone at Montreal IAM gave him an earful? :lol:
I would have liked to have been in on that Zoom meeting. :rofl: :watch:

That comment would not have even registered with me until he gave an apology. That was the definition of a nothingburger but then again this is figure skating and is one of the reasons I love it.

skatfan

Wow seems someone left their sense of humour in 2022 and felt the need to complain about a throwaway joke among friends - people truly need to lighten up! The world is dark enough as it is, we need humour!
Agreed. I can imagine Charlie just laughed at seeing that. But it does pull focus from the athletes to the coaches.

sap5

Agreed. I can imagine Charlie just laughed at seeing that. But it does pull focus from the athletes to the coaches.
The focus of the article is the coaches.

Imo, the apology reinforced the mindset of the coaches/school described in the article.

sap5

Rod Black's interview with VM

Initially I wasn't going to watch because I never liked Rod Black commentary during a skating event, but it was nice to hear how much he really loves figure skating. With all the negative stuff surrounding the sport these days, it makes me happy that some still see how there can be a bright future.

emilieh

Rod Black's interview with VM

Initially I wasn't going to watch because I never liked Rod Black commentary during a skating event, but it was nice to hear how much he really loves figure skating. With all the negative stuff surrounding the sport these days, it makes me happy that some still see how there can be a bright future.

My husband sat next to Rod Black in a bar a few years ago, in an airport or hotel, I think. We are American, my husband didn't know who he was. They were watching typical pro sports on the TVs and got to chatting. I got a text from him: "Do you know someone named Rod Black? He's a Canadian sports TV guy. Loves figure skating."

ice coverage

A different fancam video shows Tessa and Scott's lift, plus his flourishes afterward as they leave center ice together and his joking about being left out of breath.

ETA:​

Tessa herself now has posted video showing that they first performed their goose lift (which I always loved ❤️), before the rotational lift. She also wrote a lovely message.​

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Tessa was on Jann Arden's podcast (November 12, 2022; 44 mins):
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/962-...on-with-canadas-olympic-sweetheart-104506533/
... She has her MBA from the Smith School of Business and is currently working towards her Masters of Applied Positive Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
Tessa just posted UPenn graduation pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsPgYaZugtV/

ETA her thank you post+pic on Monday (graduation ceremony day): https://www.instagram.com/p/CsRWmpAuyAI/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
September 7, 2023:
Decorated ice dance duo Tessa Virtue of London and Scott Moir of Ilderton were among the 2023 inductees named to Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame on Thursday.
At their induction ceremony Oct. 19, the class of 2023 will join over 700 people named to the Hall since it was established in 1955.
Their popularity stretched far beyond the bounds of their sport, with rabid fans making them darlings of social media. Moir now coaches in the London area; Virtue is engaged to Toronto Maple Leafs player Morgan Rielly.
Scott even posted on his social media!

Judy

Scott felt compelled to tweet this today: https://twitter.com/ScottMoir/status/1612865141233651713

ETA - in response to this article:
Apparently the "controversial" quote was removed: https://twitter.com/mrandmrsjisbon/status/1612870775631118337

Excerpt from the the article:
I never saw the quote but I do feel there is mutual respect. White/Davis were legitimately very good. Unfortunately lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information