Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I get not particularly connecting with Tessa tbh. While the VM chemistry was fun to watch on and off the ice, a lot of that fun for me was the spontaneity Scott brought to things. Even back then, Tessa tended to stick to her talking points and not give away much. It makes her a good brand spokesperson since she will get those PR talking points out, but not a particularly interesting listen otherwise.
True, Scott was the fun one. I wonder how he's doing with his coaching career and new school.

AR130

True, Scott was the fun one. I wonder how he's doing with his coaching career and new school.
I’m curious to hear about it! If he hadn’t joined IAM with Dubreuil/Lauzon/Hagenauer, I would say that we might never hear from Scott on his coaching. But the IAM people are savvy and more willing to have the coaches do social media stuff, so maybe we will hear from him.

He seems to be someone who would be temperamentally well suited to coaching — positive, determined, hardworking but also can joke around to try and relieve pressure. I’m curious to see what he is able to do with CPom and H/D for next year.

Judy

You mean you aren't convinced by their stiff instagram comments to each other once every 6 months? Honestly, it baffles me how the pair of them were known for being so passionate and intensely felt on the ice together, and since retirement it's like watching two people who used to work at a bank together interact.
You are forgetting about texting lol .. or gasp! Maybe phone calls. Scott always said he wasn’t big on social media. Myself I don’t get the point of instagram.

AR130

You are forgetting about texting lol .. or gasp! Maybe phone calls. Scott always said he wasn’t big on social media. Myself I don’t get the point of instagram.

Some fellow old timers may remember Scott’s FB where he accepted friend requests from fans back in 2010. People got rude and intrusive and he’s only been on social media rarely since then, primarily for work.

Instagram is mostly to sell stuff and/or have a very narrowly curated social media presence.

I never really believed that VM were or could be a couple, and I see them as people with very different life goals and goals and priorities. Anyone can identify with having a very close friend at work, changing jobs and seeing and talking to them less. It’s no surprise VM fall into that category.

I’m glad that they aren’t forced to perform their friendship for the public, and I don’t expect to see them routinely documenting their private interactions for the public online.

Their fandom ranges from people who believe they are secretly married parents to those who believe they hate each other and are lashing out at each other with every move/statement they make. The most likely is neither of these — rather, they’re just people who don’t work together and have no need to promote themselves or their joint work (and relationship) in public, but who try to keep up as friends as they manage the rest of their lives — like any of the rest of us do.

puglover

Tessa has always identified herself as a "private" person and not comfortable publicly sharing those things most close to her. Of course, that does not stop others from speculating. I wish I was savvy enough to share links to some of the interviews I have listened to that she has given. It is obvious that the interviewers consider her a great "get" because her comments are insightful and thoughtful. Should she reach a point in her career that she has the time and interest to become more involved in skating again, I would think she would be excellent at giving seminars, especially to young female skaters.

Khaleesi

Here's a podcast she did recently.
It sounds like she no longer wants anything to do with the skating world. She says she doesn’t skate and doesn’t miss it and it would feel odd and just wrong to still be in the skating world. That’s so weird to me. It almost sounds like she has some kind of aversion to skating now. Did something happen that we’re not aware of? She also says she and Scott were business partners so that doesn’t sound like the great friendship or family members people are describing here.

Judy

Some fellow old timers may remember Scott’s FB where he accepted friend requests from fans back in 2010. People got rude and intrusive and he’s only been on social media rarely since then, primarily for work.

Instagram is mostly to sell stuff and/or have a very narrowly curated social media presence.

I never really believed that VM were or could be a couple, and I see them as people with very different life goals and goals and priorities. Anyone can identify with having a very close friend at work, changing jobs and seeing and talking to them less. It’s no surprise VM fall into that category.

I’m glad that they aren’t forced to perform their friendship for the public, and I don’t expect to see them routinely documenting their private interactions for the public online.

Their fandom ranges from people who believe they are secretly married parents to those who believe they hate each other and are lashing out at each other with every move/statement they make. The most likely is neither of these — rather, they’re just people who don’t work together and have no need to promote themselves or their joint work (and relationship) in public, but who try to keep up as friends as they manage the rest of their lives — like any of the rest of us do.
I actually never bought into the wishful fantasy they should fall in love and get married thing. Are they two really, really good friends? I am sure they are. But even close and good friends don’t need to speak or connect on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. I have several close friends that I don’t need to talk to often but when we do we just have that connection between us. A romantic pairing .. nothing against it all .. but it can also end a partnership.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It sounds like she no longer wants anything to do with the skating world. She says she doesn’t skate and doesn’t miss it and it would feel odd and just wrong to still be in the skating world. That’s so weird to me. It almost sounds like she has some kind of aversion to skating now. Did something happen that we’re not aware of? She also says she and Scott were business partners so that doesn’t sound like the great friendship or family members people are describing here.
Interesting spin you put on that :lol:

For those reading who are interested in what she actually says it's best to listen to it yourself ;)

Also, fwiw, Tessa has never hidden the fact that skating wasn't going to be her life post competition.

Khaleesi

Interesting spin you put on that :lol:

For those reading who are interested in what she actually says it's best to listen to it yourself ;)

Also, fwiw, Tessa has never hidden the fact that skating wasn't going to be her life post competition.
What spin? That’s what came out her mouth but I suppose we can interpret those words differently ;)

And I understand wanting to move away from skating post competition but “odd” and “wrong” seem like very strong words to use. All in my opinion of course.

AR130

I've listened to enough VM/Tessa/Scott interviews to know that they use the term "business partners" pretty regularly, and it's never been a slight towards any other aspects of their relationship (and I agree with the people who compared them to family**) To be fair, skating pairs have to be business partners out of necessity to book sponsors, tours, pay for coaching etc. So, Scott was her business partner, and due to their achievements, they will always have joint business opportunities to decide on -- even the Beatles meet regularly to discuss their business, and they split in 1970! And you only need to look as far back as this Duhamel/Radford/James mess to see that not being on the same page as business partners can be really harmful.

I agree that Tessa has never EVER said that skating would be something she would pursue after retirement from competition/touring. She's been talking about her next career away from skating for over a decade -- I mean, it was even in their reality show. I am pleasantly surprised to see that she has any involvement in mentoring teams these days, and maybe once she is settled in another field, she may be more open to doing things in skating.

**Again, there are old interviews where they compared themselves to siblings, but I think that as Marina packaged them in more romantic programs from 2007-onwards, they moved away from comparing themselves to siblings/family to this "undefinable relationship" thing -- which I think is reasonable, but the comparison to family members I think is the best way to think of their relationship -- close, bonded for life, but perhaps not in each others' lives all that frequently.

Judy

Well I haven’t read that but I would think she is simply moving on with her goals in life. Will they ever skate again eg at Nationals or a worlds in Canada? Maybe. I doubt “anything” happened lol.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I agree that Tessa has never EVER said that skating would be something she would pursue after retirement from competition/touring. She's been talking about her next career away from skating for over a decade -- I mean, it was even in their reality show. I am pleasantly surprised to see that she has any involvement in mentoring teams these days, and maybe once she is settled in another field, she may be more open to doing things in skating.

**Again, there are old interviews where they compared themselves to siblings, but I think that as Marina packaged them in more romantic programs from 2007-onwards, they moved away from comparing themselves to siblings/family to this "undefinable relationship" thing -- which I think is reasonable, but the comparison to family members I think is the best way to think of their relationship -- close, bonded for life, but perhaps not in each others' lives all that frequently.

Just one example of @Khaleesi ´s interesting take. They listened and walked away with the impression she wants nothing to do with the skating world, senses some kind of aversion to skating now. When she has been clear for years she would be moving on to another career. But missed that she said she mentors a few dance teams. I am guessing Sasha Fear / George Waddell may be one of them as we did see her on ice with them post 2018. No idea about any others. But nice to see she is sharing her experience with others despite moving on to another career.

In other news she mentioned that she has a job now with one of the top consulting firms in Canada (she didn't say which one, just said "one of the top"). Not sure if it's an internship connected to her EMBA or her first real post-skating job. So she seems to be keeping herself busy :)

Oh and she mentioned there are now Hockey Barbie's inspired by a couple of Team Canada players. Proceeds support girls hockey:
Old news for some I am sure but since Barbie's was mentioned earlier I thought that was fun for them.

AR130

What spin? That’s what came out her mouth but I suppose we can interpret those words differently ;)

And I understand wanting to move away from skating post competition but “odd” and “wrong” seem like very strong words to use. All in my opinion of course.
I think she said that going into the arena daily without Scott would feel "odd" or "wrong." Given that she's been skating with him since she was 7, (and didn't spend a lot time coaching or mentoring alone as he has during breaks/post-retirement in Ilderton and elsewhere), it makes sense that it would be weird for her to continue being actively involved in skating without him?

AR130

Well I haven’t read that but I would think she is simply moving on with her goals in life. Will they ever skate again eg at Nationals or a worlds in Canada? Maybe. I doubt “anything” happened lol.
I think they might do something for a Nationals or Worlds in Canada -- they would have for Montreal 2020, but I think the big question would be whether Scott would be able to spare the time from his coaching duties!

Khaleesi

I think she said that going into the arena daily without Scott would feel "odd" or "wrong." Given that she's been skating with him since she was 7, (and didn't spend a lot time coaching or mentoring alone as he has during breaks/post-retirement in Ilderton and elsewhere), it makes sense that it would be weird for her to continue being actively involved in skating without him?
I admit to being on my morning run when I listened to this podcast so I probably heard the question and answer incorrectly. Anyway like you said above in terms of Tessa and Scott people fall somewhere in the spectrum that they’re secretly married or hate each other. I certainly don’t think they hate each other but I don’t think they’re even anywhere close to being close. Part of that is just how different they are. I read an interview with Maxim Trankov once where he said he couldn’t believe Scott wanted to be a farmer and Tessa wants to be in the fashion world. Or something like that. Well, this discussion I think has ran it’s course for me so I’m going to tap out :)

Judy

I admit to being on my morning run when I listened to this podcast so I probably heard the question and answer incorrectly. Anyway like you said above in terms of Tessa and Scott people fall somewhere in the spectrum that they’re secretly married or hate each other. I certainly don’t think they hate each other but I don’t think they’re even anywhere close to being close. Part of that is just how different they are. I read an interview with Maxim Trankov once where he said he couldn’t believe Scott wanted to be a farmer and Tessa wants to be in the fashion world. Or something like that. Well, this discussion I think has ran it’s course for me so I’m going to tap out :)
But I have realy good friends and we are different in many ways. We have common things but it makes it interesting.

AR130

But I have realy good friends and we are different in many ways. We have common things but it makes it interesting.
I think if people think close means talking frequently and being an active part of each other’s lives, then no, I don’t think they’re close in that sense.

From what we have heard from both of them, I would guess they’re close in the sense that they have a bond from working and living so close together on these common goals for so many years. But I wouldn’t say I get the sense that they are in super regular contact now because their lives and interests have gone in separate directions. Again, I think everyone has a friend or family member where you’ve got a bond, but you don’t see or talk to each other much. It’s just part of life.

But that kind of distance is not the same as being estranged or on bad terms, which is what some imply about them. I don’t get the sense of any ill will between them at all

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
No one knows how much V/M still talk to each other except V/M.

I think a lot of people read too much or try to deduce too much about what’s going on behind the scenes by looking at social media. One of my favorite examples is an actress who was on a show cancelled some time ago who made a comment that she and her costars are still very close. She got some pushback from fans who said they saw no evidence of that on social media. The actress pointed out there are way more ways than public social media accounts to stay in contact, like the group text chat that all of them still were part of daily.

Bottom line: it’s a fools errand to try to draw conclusions about what is really going on from what you see on social media—especially if you’re talking about people in the public eye.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think they are the perfect example of how to walk away from skating as a team. Scott choose to coach and share his experiences, and Tessa wants to pursue things outside the skating world. They have no desire to skate for fun in shows, and they aren't close but remain friendly.

AR130

I think they are the perfect example of how to walk away from skating as a team. Scott choose to coach and share his experiences, and Tessa wants to pursue things outside the skating world. They have no desire to skate for fun in shows, and they aren't close but remain friendly.
I don’t know if this is too far off topic, but I can’t think of teams that don’t skate together in shows or coach together or have a tv show like T/D who are seen as being close post-retirement (except for the ones who are married to each other or siblings of course). So I think what we are seeing from V/M is pretty normal and to be expected?

sap5

So it would feel wrong to go into the rink as a daily job, but it doesn’t feel wrong to go into the rink to teach skating skills and expression to the teams she’s mentoring?

canbelto

I think in general that figure skaters are less close than they used to be. There used to be a lot of touring ice shows and skaters would spend a lot of time with each other after competitive careers. That's not the case anymore.

Judy

So it would feel wrong to go into the rink as a daily job, but it doesn’t feel wrong to go into the rink to teach skating skills and expression to the teams she’s mentoring?
She never had any intention of coaching as a job though. I haven’t kept up with everything she’s doing or has done. I do think she doesn’t have intentions to skate again though and that Scott and her were in agreement about that.

AR130

I don’t get the sense that she is spending a lot of time in the rink even with the mentoring, especially given how rink access in Canada is very limited during the pandemic. She has generally posted when she’s gone to work with the Fears and it appears to be sporadic, while her main work is the brand stuff.

Last edited:

angi

The one factor about this discussion that people are not mentioning is what V/M had to endure in the past 3 years in terms of social media responses - not sure how much people are aware of but they were both bullied, harassed, and stalked (both cyber stalked and real-life stalked) along with their families and friends. I would imagine that it's a big factor in how much they choose to share on social media (for Scott it's nothing at all, for Tessa, it's only the business side of her life and not her private life). I think they were both burned heavily from being in the public eye and that's why they handle their private lives the way they do, including the current level of closeness of their friendship. In their shoes, I would have done the exact same.
ETA: and that's without even mentioning the fact that a psycho runs a blog full of lies about them for over a decade...

Last edited:

canbelto

The one factor about this discussion that people are not mentioning is what V/M had to endure in the past 3 years in terms of social media responses - not sure how much people are aware of but they were both bullied, harassed, and stalked (both cyber stalked and real-life stalked) along with their families and friends. I would imagine that it's a big factor in how much they choose to share on social media (for Scott it's nothing at all, for Tessa, it's only the business side of her life and not her private life). I think they were both burned heavily from being in the public eye and that's why they handle their private lives the way they do, including the current level of closeness of their friendship. In their shoes, I would have done the exact same.
ETA: and that's without even mentioning the fact that a psycho runs a blog full of lies about them for over a decade...

Wait you mean they aren't hiding four kids in the basement?

sap5

Here's a podcast she did recently.
I thought it was funny that she said that she had never watched the "Tessa & Scott" reality show in this podcast, when she had talked about what she thought about certain scenes of the show in her interview with TSL. Maybe she forgot that she had watched it. I haven't watched it since it first came out, but for me, it was an unforgettable experience. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information