Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

mackiecat

As for the entrepreneur stuff. Scott's uncle owned the restaurant and skate shop. I'm not sure what his dad does. His mother and both of her sisters are skating coaches ( quite successful grassroots coaches.)
I thought Scott finished his high school after Sochi.

Zazy

I was hoping Scott would make a cameo, at least.
Why not have Tessa "interview" Scott for a few minutes? Do they think it would somehow get in the way of her solo branding for the rest of the day?

I'm glad she got the opportunity but I continue to be puzzled by their PR choices.

Alexandria

I was hoping Scott would make a cameo, at least.
Why not have Tessa "interview" Scott for a few minutes? Do they think it would somehow get in the way of her solo branding for the rest of the day?

I'm glad she got the opportunity but I continue to be puzzled by their PR choices.

Because Scott doesn't want the PR. I keep seeing people upset on his behalf but this is his decision. He's ambitious in his own way, but it will be with something that's not about publicity. Tessa may want her own business or to do other things that require publicity so she's making connections and getting herself out there. I'm amazed by her hustle and work ethic, when she could just be kicking back and relaxing. They seem super supportive of each other's ambitions. On Saturday, they had a joint speech/interview for something to do with sports in Ontario, which is probably an avenue Scott is more into. I'm not trying to rag on your opinion because I see it all over, but I'm just kind of baffled by it, especially because Scott seems so into and proud of Tessa's solo ventures, which is super cute. It's kind of nice that he really respects her and doesn't feel the need to infiltrate himself into all of them. Plus, he's seemed nothing but thrilled in the past for Tessa to handle all the social media on his behalf and that probably extends to other PR too.

Zazy

Because Scott doesn't want the PR. I keep seeing people upset on his behalf but this is his decision. He's ambitious in his own way, but it will be with something that's not about publicity. Tessa may want her own business or to do other things that require publicity so she's making connections and getting herself out there. I'm amazed by her hustle and work ethic, when she could just be kicking back and relaxing. They seem super supportive of each other's ambitions. On Saturday, they had a joint speech/interview for something to do with sports in Ontario, which is probably an avenue Scott is more into. I'm not trying to rag on your opinion because I see it all over, but I'm just kind of baffled by it, especially because Scott seems so into and proud of Tessa's solo ventures, which is super cute. It's kind of nice that he really respects her and doesn't feel the need to infiltrate himself into all of them. Plus, he's seemed nothing but thrilled in the past for Tessa to handle all the social media on his behalf and that probably extends to other PR too.

I'm not upset on Scott's behalf but whatever the reason, I think it's bad PR. Scott may not love doing this kind of stuff but he would actually be helping Tessa's brand if he showed up once in a while. Going so quickly from "all V/M all the time" at the Olympics to "Tessa everywhere, Scott who?" is not the best strategy. It ends up looking like she's doing a post-Olympics victory tour on her own, after they talked so much about the importance of their partnership at the Olympics. It just looks weird, and I can't think of any other team that approached post-Olys media in this way.

Of course, I'm also really not a fan of Tessa's solo brand, so that may be colouring my opinion of this. I'm attracted to what I find genuine, and this is all so manufactured and rehearsed. Just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Judy

I'm not upset on Scott's behalf but whatever the reason, I think it's bad PR. Scott may not love doing this kind of stuff but he would actually be helping Tessa's brand if he showed up once in a while. Going so quickly from "all V/M all the time" at the Olympics to "Tessa everywhere, Scott who?" is not the best strategy. It ends up looking like she's doing a post-Olympics victory tour on her own, after they talked so much about the importance of their partnership at the Olympics. It just looks weird, and I can't think of any other team that approached post-Olys media in this way.

Of course, I'm also really not a fan of Tessa's solo brand, so that may be colouring my opinion of this. I'm attracted to what I find genuine, and this is all so manufactured and rehearsed. Just not my cup of tea.

I don’t understand the blaming Tessa thing. Blame their agent? It was a one day gig .. big deal. It’s hard enough to get sponsorships in Canada.

Alexandria

Honestly, *mind blown*. People are complex and can have more than one side and one career. They can have an important partnership (that's getting a whole lot of touring time this year - no one's leaving the skating world), solo ventures, ventures with other friends and family. They're at a super precarious stage in their lives and are probably really nervous about their next steps and future careers after a life of nothing but skating. You don't have to be a fan of all these ventures but the reaction toward them is very odd, imo. In your bias, maybe don't overlook all the things they've done and are doing together just to concentrate on the fewer things she's done alone. I'll never understand the reaction here so maybe I should just bow out, but I also feel like there are people who agree with me so someone should speak up lest it just become a "crap on an ambitious woman fest."

Zazy

I don’t understand the blaming Tessa thing. Blame their agent? It was a one day gig .. big deal. It’s hard enough to get sponsorships in Canada.

When did I blame Tessa? I said I wasn't a fan of her solo brand but then I'm probably not the intended target. I am complaining about their PR, and they've had a long line of incompetent agents. This latest one seems better but I'm questioning his strategy. I think a more gradual transition to her solo stuff would have been better, because right now it's about 95% solo Tessa stuff and 5% stuff as a team (it's a lot more than one solo media day). Having Scott show up for a few minutes would have been an easy way to do that, while still letting her shine.

And honestly, I think we should be able to have a conversation about their PR without fans getting all defensive and thinking we're attacking V/M personally or "crapping on an ambitious woman" (WTH?) It's great that Tessa's getting all these opportunities but the imbalance looks weird so close to the Olys, especially considering how they marketed themselves there. That was my point initially, I didn't think it would be so controversial. Danidin's reaction is way OTT and unfair to Tessa but also completely predictable. It's a tricky thing to move from a primarily team brand to a primarily solo brand and I'm not sure they're going about it the right way.

Last edited:

manhn

There is no one to blame. Scott may be fine with the media situation. Tessa is pursuing it more aggressively, I have no problems with it either. So, Scott was wanting to discuss flower arrangements during The Marilyn Denis Show but Tessa and their agent blocked it?

Shayii

It’s really not that serious danidin. After we had this discussion last week and I reflected on it, I actually do see the point pani and zazy are making when everything was Virtue&Moir leading up to the Olympics, during the Olympics and even a bit after. Now Scott has basically disappeared and all we’re getting is Tessa, which I personally don’t mind because I’m a girly girl and into the same things Tessa is into. But then if Scott isn’t interested in this, should he just do it even if it makes him miserable? I don’t know man.

sap5

When did I blame Tessa? I said I wasn't a fan of her solo brand but then I'm probably not the intended target. I am complaining about their PR, and they've had a long line of incompetent agents. This latest one seems better but I'm questioning his strategy. I think a more gradual transition to her solo stuff would have been better, because right now it's about 95% solo Tessa stuff and 5% stuff as a team (it's a lot more than one solo media day). Having Scott show up for a few minutes would have been an easy way to do that, while still letting her shine.

And honestly, I think we should be able to have a conversation about their PR without fans getting all defensive and thinking we're attacking V/M personally or "crapping on an ambitious woman" (WTH?) It's great that Tessa's getting all these opportunities but the imbalance looks weird so close to the Olys, especially considering how they marketed themselves there. That was my point initially, I didn't think it would be so controversial. Danidin's reaction is way OTT and unfair to Tessa but also completely predictable. It's a tricky thing to move from a primarily team brand to a primarily solo brand and I'm not sure they're going about it the right way.

I'm not getting the critique about the PR strategy? For years now, Tessa has had her own brand, and the team brand. She is continuing the team brand through almost non-stop touring until July. During breaks, she's promoting her individual brand. She's doing the same thing she did pre-Olympics: she promotes both.

Shayii

I'm not getting the critique about the PR strategy? For years now, Tessa has had her own brand, and the team brand. She is continuing the team brand through almost non-stop touring until July. During breaks, she's promoting her individual brand. She's doing the same thing she did pre-Olympics: she promotes both.
But does she promote both to the same degree? I'm not so sure. Like is just doing the tours the promotion? Because she does not promote it on her social media like she does her own sponsorships. But should she even be obligated to promote both her personal brand and the team brand to the same degree. And especially when Scott does neither, why should it all fall on Tessa. Lol we're probably over thinking this and they think we're crazy.

Vera Costa

Tessa has a limited window of opportunity here. She probably wants to see what's a good fit and try all sorts of things before she maps out her plans for the future. They're booked for shows continuously through July. This is their schedule:

April 20th – Tessa and Scott Classroom Champions luncheon panel
April 27th - May 17th- CSOI
May 25th - July 1st- Fantasy on Ice (Japan)
May 20th - 22nd- All That Skate (South Korea)
Jun 7th - 15th- Gold Medal Plates (Belgium/France)
July 6th - 8th- Dreams on Ice (Japan)

They have a book coming out in October and we'll probably get press again for that. Who knows what else they'll try and stuff in.

And people are complaining because Tessa does one day of solo media?

barbarafan

Thank-you for perfectly verbalizing my thoughts. Scott is totally "You Go Girl" proud of you.....just leave me out of it. If you really need for something I will be there for you. And she will be there for him...Scott has so much to give on the other side of the boards and prob. has a lot to learn at that end as well. "You Go Scott"

barbarafan

It’s really not that serious danidin. After we had this discussion last week and I reflected on it, I actually do see the point pani and zazy are making when everything was Virtue&Moir leading up to the Olympics, during the Olympics and even a bit after. Now Scott has basically disappeared and all we’re getting is Tessa, which I personally don’t mind because I’m a girly girl and into the same things Tessa is into. But then if Scott isn’t interested in this, should he just do it even if it makes him miserable? I don’t know man.

Exactly....Their future is no longer on hold. If Scott has a "gig" now he will have assignments to groups and they will happen everyday......Being on the other side of the boards means there is no more "me" it is now "them". Is Scott supposed to say "Oh I won't be here tomorrow cause Tessa calls" He has a right to explore his future as he sees fit. They will be together for skate related things....carefully scheduled.

sap5

Scott's tweet congratulating Patrick on his retirement was retweeted and liked so many times that it registered as a moment on "Twitter Moments Canada." If Scott isn't out there getting deals for himself, it must be because of a personal decision to stay out of the spotlight, not because he's not marketable. CBC even jumped on the tweet willing to do a roadtrip show starring Scott and Patrick...if they were interested in doing one, which I bet is definitely no.

D

Deleted member 74551

They’re Torvill & Dean kind of legendary in Canada now. They could never give a joint interview ever again and people would still put their names together. They’re more than fine with their current strategies.

Scott’s just not into being a media figure (unless it comes with Leafs tickets!) Everything he’s done or put on social media since winning has gone viral with zero effort, and Molson were courting him fairly aggressively on Twitter and yet it was Tessa who ended up giving them a shoutout. He wants to coach and work with B2Ten and he hardly needs any more visibility than being one of the two most decorated Olympic figure skaters ever for that :p Tessa seems to want to build a career in business/fashion/presenting outside of skating and so IMO it’s eminently sensible for her to take every opportunity she can in this small window to get herself out there outside of the team branding. Good for her!

Judy

Sorry I didn’t mean that towards you specifically.

elisa_p

I get the sense that V/M don’t want to sell their brand too much. They are always fairly low key in promoting themselves after the olys and I think that a conscious decision. Their primary goal was to win the Olys and I don’t think they put in too much thought to promote themselves after that like some other teams do. That’s not anyone’s fault and they seem to be on the same page on that. If they really wanted to and went full speed ahead they prob would have been everywhere these last two months. However Tessa has other interests and she does persue them which is totally fine. I realize that people want to see them together but other than skating their shows they have zero obligations to do anything if they don’t want to.

Excidra

Tessa and Scott have been a pair for more than 20 years. Now that their competitive career is finished they have earned the right to go at it alone; pursue new challenges or stay out of the lime light and the chaos that comes with being a top athlete.

As a fan they've given me enough and now it's time for them to live for themselves. Let's not be selfish here people.

pani

It's funny, that Scott got more likes, then Tessa, in social accounts this week 😆 I am happy.
Happy he didn't want to put him in situation, when he will look weird, awkward, like when Tessa in this shows, when she cooking.
Good to see him with kids on ice.

Shayii

It's funny, that Scott got more likes, then Tessa, in social accounts this week 😆 I am happy.
Happy he didn't want to put him in situation, when he will look weird, awkward, like when Tessa in this shows, when she cooking.
Good to see him with kids on ice.
Lmao! You’re such a hater now (a Tessa hater anyway). I didn’t see any of the clips of her CTV takeover but I did see a few gifs of the cooking segments and they were hysterical. It’s funny but I would have thought Tessa knew how to cook :lol:
Anyway this is a great pic of Tessa https://www.instagram.com/p/BhsZtpwnoBH/

manhn

That is me cooking. Anyways, a bit surprised that there was no fashion segment in any of these shows. There was a hair segment on The Social, which she was not even a part of.

professordeb

Lmao! You’re such a hater now (a Tessa hater anyway). I didn’t see any of the clips of her CTV takeover but I did see a few gifs of the cooking segments and they were hysterical. It’s funny but I would have thought Tessa knew how to cook :lol:
Anyway this is a great pic of Tessa https://www.instagram.com/p/BhsZtpwnoBH/
Tessa and cooking, I would never have thought she really knew much about cooking. Consider that she has been an athlete for over 20 years and her main focus has been on things like what to eat, when, how much. I would venture to say also that others encouraged her to focus on what was important while an athlete and cooking for oneself didn't make the grade. It could also be that she hasn't had the desire to learn to cook ... at least for now :D
It reminds me, kinda/sorta of when my two adult children got their license to drive. Daughter couldn't wait to get her first level of driving once she turned 16 (we have graduated licenses but I don't recall which level gave which permission). My son (who is the elder of my two by ONE minute -- yes they are twins) didn't seem particularly interested until he went away to school and then changed his area of study. Probably was 20.

All that to say again, not knowing how to cook was a skill set Tessa didn't need to know. Of course, she might have been "pretending" that she didn't know as much so that the others on set could bring it down to a really low level. Then again, maybe I'm totally wrong LOL Not the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information