Tell Me About Costco

manhn

I don't have a membership, I go with my parents who have one. A single person, there isn't a whole lot for me. But I buy their canned tuna fish. I bought my current tv there. Gas is cheaper. Rental cars are very competitive.

Love their pizzas.

alj5

I love Costco. I've had both Costco and Sam's depending on where I/we have lived, and generally prefer Costco. I feel that they have some nicer products, or the Costco version is one I prefer to Sam's (I'm thinking of the turkey rollers...Costco beat's Sam's every day of the week). Sam's has more products, but they have a focus on small businesses and restaurants/caterers so there's more products there that I would never buy. I've had a membership in at least one since I was in college.

When I was single and married without kids, we would buy the following there: toilet paper, clothing, linens, books, CDs, DVDs, flowers, OTC meds, home items like furniture/vaccuum/office chair, bakery products (usually half in the freezer and eat half now), TVs, and gifts. Generally my/our shopping trips there would be every 3-4 weeks. When I was single, I usually didn't buy many food items that weren't shelf-stable unless I was having a party.

Now that we have twin 5 year olds and my mother-in-law living in the guest house, one of us goes at least every other week and we've expanded our purchases accordingly.

clairecloutier

We've been members at BJ's for about 8 years. But before we renew our membership, I'm going to check out Costco. With our location, the BJ's is closer to us and more convenient. But I find their selection limited, and I want to see how Costco compares. I've done some research online, prices appear to be pretty similar between the two chains.

We buy quite a bit of stuff at BJ's--mainly paper products, garbage bags, plastic sandwich bags, some toiletries, nonperishable grocery items. We find the perishable items mostly come in such big quantities that we can't use them up in time (plus, the selection is limited). I like buying a lot of the nonperishable/dry goods stuff at BJ's because it simplifies grocery-store trips: I only have to focus on actual food shopping at the grocery store.

KCC

Costco travel saved me about $600 on a 5-day stay at a Marriott resort in Hawaii, so I recommend calling them with big travel plans. $300 of that is "resort credit" at the shops and restaurants, so if we don't use it, we lose it, but I don't think that will be an issue (there are 4 of us staying there).

I also find great deals on cases of water, cereal, paper products, organic fruit, higher quality meats and fish, nuts and candies, and some (not all) clothing items. Returns are never questioned. The only bad experience I had was with some raw chicken that smelled terrible right out of the package. I also dislike the huge shopping carts and crowds at certain times.

skatecat

Lurker Extraordinaire
I've been a Costco member for years. I also have a friend who works in their corporate office. As of a couple of years ago (don't know if this has changed since then), they capped their profit over cost on any item to 14%. Therefore, any item that usually sells with a large mark-up (such as fine jewelry or eye glasses) are a great bargain at Costco. Plus, they are great to their employees in terms of pay and benefits.

I buy my eyeglasses there since I need bifocals, and I save at least 50%, maybe as much as 75%, to what I would pay for the same glasses outside of Costco. You have a more limited frame selection, but I've always found ones that I like.

If you are throwing a big party, you will save a lot of money by buying supplies and food at Costco.

skatesindreams

I wish that the nearest Costco weren't 60 miles away.
I would really like to try their "house brand" wine.

Cachoo

Wow--It had never even occurred to me to look at them for travel and car rentals. I had no idea they were so diversified.

clairecloutier

Well, I visited the local Costco this morning to determine whether we should switch from BJ's. I was disappointed with the selection of items. They didn't have quite a few things that we normally get at BJ's. (Not weird stuff--Jif peanut butter, Ziploc jumbo bags, our usual type of trash bag, ravioli from the fridge case, Gorton's frozen fish.) Nor did there seem to be many other interesting products to help compensate. Guess we'll stick with BJ's.

gkelly

Well, I visited the local Costco this morning to determine whether we should switch from BJ's. I was disappointed with the selection of items. They didn't have quite a few things that we normally get at BJ's. (Not weird stuff--Jif peanut butter, Ziploc jumbo bags, our usual type of trash bag, ravioli from the fridge case, Gorton's frozen fish.)

The Costco I went to did have refrigerated ravioli -- I used to get a double package of the variety with spinach and sometimes give half of it to my sister.

Don't know if your Costco didn't carry that, you didn't look in the right aisle, or you were looking for a different kind of ravioli.

clairecloutier

d
The Costco I went to did have refrigerated ravioli -- I used to get a double package of the variety with spinach and sometimes give half of it to my sister.

Don't know if your Costco didn't carry that, you didn't look in the right aisle, or you were looking for a different kind of ravioli.

They did have one kind of ravioli (kale & white bean). But we typically get cheese, squash, or mushroom ravioli.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
They did have one kind of ravioli (kale & white bean). But we typically get cheese, squash, or mushroom ravioli.
At ours, the ravs are near the guacamole and fresh salsa. Our carries cheese, spinach/cheese, and chicken/proscuitto.

gkelly

I guess different Costco locations carry different products.

They did have one kind of ravioli (kale & white bean).

I didn't see that -- I did see the kinds Aceon6 mentions.

But we typically get cheese, squash, or mushroom ravioli.

I lurve mushroom ravioli, but they don't have it at Costco.

vesperholly

The closest Costco to me is in Canada :wuzrobbed

I have a BJs membership and it's good; they carry a lot of stuff I like and have coupons all the time.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have been a member of Costco for around 15 years. I am a regular shopper there because I get good quality for low prices. I love their bakery products. Whenever I have to buy a dessert for a group, I buy it at Costco. I have bought shirts (for gifts) and occasionally tops, skirts and weaters there. I can't try on clothes there, so my clothes purchase is very limited. They also sell candies, movie tickets, game tickets, etc. are reduced prices. I always buy a few movie tickets there and keep those in reserve, in case I want to go to a movie in the evening, which is rare. I have bought cameras there and often get my pictures downloaded on a CD there. I had considered buying a TV there, although I ended up buying it at Fry's. They have electronics (computers, etc.) but I usually buy those at Electronics stores, although I did buy a sound bar at Costco.

They have excellent food- frozen, canned, boxes of cereals, tea bags, plus sugar, rice, etc. I rarely buy it because I live alone and can't finish it quickly. I do buy cereal, tea bags, nuts, etc. there.

I almost always buy gas at Costco for the cost savings. It pays for my membership fee in one year, so all the other savings are extra.

The part I love about Costco are the free samples of food and drinks (water, softdrinks, juices, etc.).

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I guess different Costco locations carry different products.

Wouldn't surprise me. I know GFS (Gordon Food Services) does. There's three that I go to - one in an upscale suburban neighborhood, one in a more working class neighborhood, and one in a college town and all three carry different things.

Tinami Amori

I have nothing but positive to say about Costco (former PriceClub), well, only negatives maybe long lines, looking for parking, but that's being picky.

Costco has a lot to offer besides "bulk-packaged perishable items", which is true maybe too much to consume for a single person or a small family.
But non-bulk items, and consumer goods of all sorts, are in plenty, good quality and well priced. Plus it has other services to offer, gas, tire change, optometry, photography, frame/poster mounting, mobile phone svs, catering/party food orders, fast food corner, great return policies, etc.

Really

I need a new title
with the current exchange rates everything you buy wold be 30% less!
Yup! Sucks for us in Canada!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Costco hot dog and pop for $1.50! Awesome hot dogs! And the fries and gravy are pretty damn good too!

manhn

Your existing Costco card allows you entry to all Costco stores over the world. I have been to stores in Canada, the US, and Mexico.

smurfy

Yup! Sucks for us in Canada!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Costco hot dog and pop for $1.50! Awesome hot dogs! And the fries and gravy are pretty damn good too!

I know someone that loves it. She and her husband go there at least once a week, eat their hotdog, refill their soda, shop and then refill their soda as they leave. I did try the hotdog, not bad, but very gassy a little later.
Great price - especially for families that need to get some shopping done and keep the kids entertained.

vesperholly

Your existing Costco card allows you entry to all Costco stores over the world. I have been to stores in Canada, the US, and Mexico.
Interesting! I did not know that :) Do they ever have free one-day membership offers? I'd love to check it out to see if it's really worth the hassle of driving over the border.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information