Survivor: Game Changers (Season 34)

PeterG

I understand getting rid of Ciera in the first vote, but I don't understand the second vote. I thought Sandra was the only choice in terms of keeping the tribe strong AND getting rid of a threat. Plus I didn't understand the only two votes for Aubry were by the two big sparring people: Tony and Sandra. (Why didn't Sandra vote along with all the other seven players...and instead vote along with Tony??)

Tony would help keep the tribe strong, Sandra will not. What is the purpose of keeping Sandra around? Was their footage of Sandra convincing everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) that Tony was a wildcard while she herself was tranquility incarnate?? There just had to be some very interesting footage of Sandra working some major-league magic...and we got to see NONE OF IT. Blech on that!! :(

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I think it's just a matter of self-interest. If the strong guys all bond to vote out the weak, the weak are going to bond in self protection. Plus Tony didn't have an idol yet, but they knew he would be looking for one. The other strong guys caved because they knew they were outnumbered.

That and it's got to be a pain living with someone who is running around in circles waving his arms about his head.

As for why they voted for Aubry, I figure Tony had been clued in about the plan to split the vote in case he had an idol and he was making sure he wasn't the one to go home by throwing what he thought was another vote at Aubry. And Sandra was just making sure that on the off chance that Tony DID have an idol, one of Tony's allies would go.

FiveRinger

@PeterG I was shocked that Sandra wasn't the first person out. I can't imagine that she will get to the end, but she's the one person that I would have gotten out at the first available opportunity, even before Ciera.

PeterG

I also didn't understand some of Sandra's actions at tribal council. At first, she seemed smart reacting to what looked like a blindside against her, staying calm in spite of a thunderstorm about to smack her around. But then, after saying a plus about keeping about her was her serene presence, she screamed like a wild banshee when she realized that bugs existed in the wilderness. Then she got even louder and wilder when Tony left (umm...he's been voted out Sandra - YOU WIN). And she just kept screaming after Tony as he was probably out of earshot...making her look crazy and angry and overly-fierce to her competitors. This behaviour would make me think, "we have to get this person off this tribe NOW". Just seemed like unnecessarily painting a target on her back.

As for why they voted for Aubry, I figure Tony had been clued in about the plan to split the vote in case he had an idol and he was making sure he wasn't the one to go home by throwing what he thought was another vote at Aubry. And Sandra was just making sure that on the off chance that Tony DID have an idol, one of Tony's allies would go.

Is this all stuff you think the Survivor people filmed...but kept us from seeing? :( I also think Sandra must have done a lot more work with the "others" (than we got to see) about the five "strong-people" alliance and flipped them into a new alliance against Tony, which is great gameplay, which would have been wonderful to see her spinning that wonderful web.

@PeterG I was shocked that Sandra wasn't the first person out. I can't imagine that she will get to the end, but she's the one person that I would have gotten out at the first available opportunity, even before Ciera.

I agree, but at that point, Ciera was playing way too hard and Sandra was staying (temporarily) chill. Plus Sandra was part of a voting block at that point, right?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I also didn't understand some of Sandra's actions at tribal council. At first, she seemed smart reacting to what looked like a blindside against her, staying calm in spite of a thunderstorm about to smack her around. But then, after saying a plus about keeping about her was her serene presence, she screamed like a wild banshee when she realized that bugs existed in the wilderness. Then she got even louder and wilder when Tony left (umm...he's been voted out Sandra - YOU WIN). And she just kept screaming after Tony as he was probably out of earshot...making her look crazy and angry and overly-fierce to her competitors. This behaviour would make me think, "we have to get this person off this tribe NOW". Just seemed like unnecessarily painting a target on her back.

Eh, Sandra has always had a temper. I doubt that's news to anyone on her tribe.

Is this all stuff you think the Survivor people filmed...but kept us from seeing? :(

If they show you everything that goes on, you know how the vote will go. They always try to keep you in suspense as far as the vote goes; everything, including tribal council, is edited to hide the boot. Sometimes it's too obvious and then they make the story about the boot's downfall, but that rarely happens.

Survivor is all about telling a story--each episode is a story and each season is a story. And they all work the same way; most of the time, the story is "Who is going to get the most votes?" Sometimes, usually if Jeff and co. are fans of the winner, it's about how someone wins. And occasionally, it's about how someone loses. But most of the time, it's all about getting people to hooked on seeing how things will turn out.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I'm sooooo glad Survivor is back on TV, it feels like it's been a year since last season.

Pretty satisfied with the first few episodes. Ciera and Tony were two of my least-favorites out of the group. Sandra on paper should have been booted already, but goes to show you just how good she is.

I hope Cirie can hang on. She's one of my all-time favorites and is probably going to be targeted because of her social mastery in the past. Ozzy is still obnoxious (IMO) and I hope Cirie can win that war.

I think some (Troyzan, Sierra, Hali, Varner) are a bit over their heads with the gameplay this season, but I think Hali could show some strategical flashes, I imagine she's going to be looked at as an under the radar type player since she didn't make any huge waves her first time (that I can remember).

Michaela is still one of my favs :D

Jayar

My how some of these contestants have aged. Ciera was super bottom heavy, Ozzy and JT are out of shape, and there are no young kids playing this time, really. I love how out loud Sandra is, and I love that she dares someone to come for her. I would, but I would wait for the right moment. The fact that Tony was so annoying sealed his fate. If he would have played a bit less, he would have stayed and Sandra would have gone. Threats are not going to win this game. I have no spoilers, but I look for Aubrey, Zeke, Sarah, Culpepper, and Sierra to do well.

Kultakissu

What a brilliant TC. Sandra, one of my all time favourites won and Tony, one of my most hated players lost. Loved it.

My winner this season is Malcolm, my husband thinks Ozzy. And yes they have aged; I didn't even recognise Ozzy at first. Remember how young JT was in his first season?? The change is natural but it's still pretty striking!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
One of the problems with these all-star seasons is that the players all know each other and their interactions outside the game can work both for and against them. According to the spoilers (no spoilers), Tony was shooting his mouth off before the game, bragging that he was going to win and snarking about other players, including Sandra, whom he said was a terrible player who didn't deserve to win even once; he said he was going to take her out first and put an end to her reign. The Queen was not amused. He was also doing stupid things around camp, which didn't help.

I hope Ozzy goes early and is never allowed on Survivor again. Enough already.

Susan1

I've not watched every season, or paid that close attention, but I'm sure they all did and know what everybody is like and did on their season. I agree with whoever said they weren't going to let someone who already won win again. Being rewarded for being a terrible person and getting rid of your competition stinks. They should have one with all runner-ups. And one with all people who got voted off first. It would be more fair.

(If I hear Sandra refer to herself as "the queen" one more time, I will scream. How many times did she say that? Geez. She needs to go.)

BaileyCatts

Holy cow, what a great first episode! There are so many people I like on both teams I don't know who to root for! I don't even know which Team to root for in the challenges because I don't want either one of them to lose! :lol: By the first 30 minutes I usually at least have a Team I hate and can root for the other Team, and then weed out people later, but I like several people on both Teams. I doubt that Sandra will actually survive all the votes to make it to the end, but damn I sure hope she does! I freaking love Sandra! And how much would it tick Jeff off that a woman is a 3 time champ! Long live The Queen!!! :p

Last edited:

hertmirsh

Banned Member
Troyzan needs more support in this game. Perhaps not in terms of alliance, but in clothing... :eek:

Yeah cant stand to see him with that few clothes. He is ugly.

I have heard rumors he made the final. I sure hope that isnt true. Then again i heard a rumor Ciera would and she was out first so it is probably completely off. it had better be.

jamesy

delightful
I cant believe Sandra isnt even being targetted yet. Wow that girl is good.
A 2-time winner who isn't particularly good at challenges should have been a easy boot. When they all met up at the well and were discussing potential boots, Sandra wouldn't even commit to a name until someone else threw out a name first. If "anyone but me" gets Sandra close to the end again, then they all deserve to lose.

That said, I was amused at the segment that showed Sandra gathering people around fairly effortlessly and then they segued to Cirie on the other tribe doing an awful job at swaying people to her. :lol:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I loved the first episode. Sandra is such a master at this game - they've already had two chances to boot her but she was never in danger. Amazing.
I know people love Cirie and think she's a great mastermind (she was in Fans vs. Faves) but she doesn't come close to Sandra's skill.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Haven't watched in several seasons but will likely continue with this. I like the choices for returnees - I don't know some of the more recent ones, but it seems like a good mix of actual players unlike some of the casting decisions we've seen for all-stars in the past.

re keeping Sandra - I wonder if there are two things at play. One is they can get rid of her later as she'll never win an individual immunity and also isn't the type to go looking for sekret idols (which could change as she knows she's the biggest target there, especially since one of the few other winners is already gone). The other though is that some players might just want to play with her. She's a legend, they are all huge fans, and here they are with a unique chance to watch her play up close. I wonder if some are hoping to ride her coattails a bit.

re people changing - I didn't even spot JT when I watched the show, and he was one of my favourite players! He's only in his early 30s too. Husband assumed that he and Ozzy and some others have purposely gained weight as players have done in the past, and we'll see them slim down as the show goes on. They did give them a lot of food though :)

re what they don't show, which has always been my beef with Survivor - I wonder if some of the more seasoned players, particularly Sandra, purposely keep things from the cameras. With large tribes there's no way the crew can catch every conversation, and smart ones may be concerned that if their secrets are out, the camera interviewers and Jeff might reveal things to others in their lines of questioning. These players know full well that stories are being told, and some play to it (Tony) but others don't care about getting air time or fame and just want to win (Sandra). If I were playing it would be my mission to fool the producers :)

Habs

A bitch from Canada
re keeping Sandra - I wonder if there are two things at play. One is they can get rid of her later as she'll never win an individual immunity and also isn't the type to go looking for sekret idols (which could change as she knows she's the biggest target there, especially since one of the few other winners is already gone). The other though is that some players might just want to play with her. She's a legend, they are all huge fans, and here they are with a unique chance to watch her play up close. I wonder if some are hoping to ride her coattails a bit.

Agreed. And I also think there could be some thought that going to the finals with her is smart, because who would vote for her to win a third time?
That being said, if I was on the jury and Sandra was sitting at final tribal again, I'd respect that so much that I'd have to vote for her. :lol:

PeterG

re keeping Sandra - I wonder if there are two things at play. One is they can get rid of her later as she'll never win an individual immunity and also isn't the type to go looking for sekret idols (which could change as she knows she's the biggest target there, especially since one of the few other winners is already gone)....

Isn't that what they did the second time Sandra played? :lol:

Jayar

The only thing interesting about this episode was Troyzan's bulge. There. I said it. AGAIN.

FiveRinger

Sandra is actually a great person to keep around. Her MO has been "anybody but me." Yes, there is some hero worship, but as long as she is around there is always a bigger threat. You always want to have one or two bigger threats than yourself around. She is a great buffer. But she is shrewd. Once she gets her claws dug in she will be hard to get rid of. Outsmarting her is too light of a term.

Last edited:

Jayar

Sandra is actually a great person to keep around. Her MO has been "anybody but me." Yes, there is some hero worship, but as long as she is around there is always a bigger threat. You always want to have one or two bigger threats than yourself around. She is a great buffer. But she is shrewd. Once she gets her claws dug in she will be hard to get rid of. Outsmarting her is to light of a term.

Agreed. And make her feel like you are 100% loyal to her. She doesn't win immunity challenges, so it would be easy to get rid of her towards the end. BTW-- I like her a little less for wanting to kill a goat, and if this is a story arc for the season, I might have to be done with the show.

FiveRinger

@Jayar, that entire scene with the goats was so unsettling. There was no need for it. That tribe wasn't hungry. They were barely a week into the game (we can assume that they were at least past day 6 with 2 eliminations). They had chickens and eggs and plenty of other food. I could see it if it was Day 21 and there was no food and everyone was starving. That reminded me how ruthless Sandra is. If she can stand there and hold and stroke a baby goat while talking about killing it and eating it, it shows she gives no f*cks about anything or anyone out there that is standing between her and the money. JT is a cattle rancher and he showed more compassion than she did!

Jenny

From the Bloc
I recorded it last night, but based on above, I'm erasing without watching. Thanks for the heads up.

jamesy

delightful
That whole goat scene was creepy. Sandra was so fixated on eating that goat but she wanted everyone else to do all the dirty work for her. Something, something, metaphor...

Moto Guzzi

I recorded it last night, but based on above, I'm erasing without watching. Thanks for the heads up.
No goats were killed. They caught a mother and baby but let both go. The other tribe members didn't feel right about killing either one. I'm glad they didn't kill them and hope the goats will stay away from their camp and run fast if they see anybody.

PeterG

You guys should watch the documentary called Earthlings which has a large segment on how animals are slaughtered for all of us to eat on a daily basis. The cast of Survivor could not have done anything close to the brutality of what is done to the animals whose remains we eat each and every day.

P.S. If a random discussion on a reality show (that went nowhere) disturbed you, this movie will freak you the **** out!!

FiveRinger

You guys should watch the documentary called Earthlings which has a large segment on how animals are slaughtered for all of us to eat on a daily basis. The cast of Survivor could not have done anything close to the brutality of what is done to the animals whose remains we eat each and every day.

P.S. If a random discussion on a reality show (that went nowhere) disturbed you, this movie will freak you the **** out!!
Lol...no thanks! I believe you! I am way to squeamish. I can't even watch horror movies. :slinkaway

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
After they caught the mama goat, my mind turned to how safe would her milk be to drink. Could they have kept her tethered at camp and supplemented their diet that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information