Stars on Ice Canada tour, April 26-May 16, 2019

Colonel Green

From what I heard they were not invited. Why would be speculation but your guess is as good as mine.
To me, it makes the most sense that they gave the indication to CSOI that they weren't interested in doing the tour, if they're planning to launch their own and want to create some scarcity for their brand.

Cool about Evgenia being on the tour. I was actually wondering about that, since she now trains in Canada, so it's convenient for her, and would be an easy way to see some sights.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
In their November press release V & M themselves announced that they would not be doing CSOI and would be concentrating on their own tour. Sylvia posted a link to that back in November in this very thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...our-april-26-may-16-2019.104858/#post-5473620

Only they, their agents, etc. know all the details, including whether there were even any discussions with SOI management.

WildRose

It wouldn’t be because they didn’t want them - more likely they didn’t want to pay them what they are worth.
Stranger things have happened. There's only so much of an audience for touring skating shows, and maybe IMG didn't like V&M partnering with a different company for the Thank You tour.

Personally, I think V&M wanted to have more artistic control over the show which they would never get with SOI. I like that there is going to be two completely different tours.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Ah, good news and bad news department! Good news, Canadian champion Nam Nguyen has join the cast, but Jeffrey Buttle is having to bow out of performing due to an injury, and is relegating himself to director and choreographer! Damn!

honey

Good for Nam to get this opportunity and I get why he was chosen (national champ + IMG rep). However, I do think SOI is missing the boat a little by not having Keegan Messing as well. He might not sell tickets but he will provide a ton of entertainment value for the casual fan who does go. Hope he can get some guest spots if the rest of his season goes well.

Sylvia

TBD
Jordan Cowan of On Ice Perspectives has been invited by SOI to film again this year and will be in Hallfax (for rehearsals, presumably): https://www.instagram.com/p/BwM1QWIFO3c/

Kurt Browning was interviewed last week by a local Florida paper ahead of his guest star appearance in Fort Myers on April 18 and revealed his new program: https://www.news-press.com/story/en...r-jason-brown-and-meryl-davis-and/3376912002/
I’ll get a chance to try out my new solo before I debut in Canada for Stars on Ice. … There’s a musical icon named Gordon Lightfoot. I’m going to skate to "If You Could Read My Mind," which is, gosh, a beautiful song.
The choreographer, Sandra Bezic — who used to choreograph Stars on Ice for years — she, I think, felt like it was the right time. I’m old enough now to skate to it. The undertone to this song is really very sad. You know, he kind of covers up with the beauty of his music, but it’s quite a sad song.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Oh Kurt! Singin' in the Rain! :cheer: I'm so happy about that.
Couple of days ago I went and bought myself a centre on-ice seat :shuffle:
So expensive but will be worth it I think. Couldn't believe one was still available. But there was 10! Ten seats all in a row on-ice in the centre, plus about 15 more on-ice at the ends.
I was shocked at how few seats over-all have sold so far.

honey

Couple of days ago I went and bought myself a centre on-ice seat :shuffle:

Couldn't believe one was still available. But there was 10! Ten seats all in a row on-ice in the centre, plus about 15 more on-ice at the ends.
I was shocked at how few seats over-all have sold so far.

Just the other day I snagged two centre floor seats in my city as well. I was shocked to see them left. And not many seats sold overall either :(

It will be interesting to see how things play out in the future with two tours. I don’t think interest is strong enough for two to survive. Obviously, the Virtue-Moir specific fans are part of the equation here. If all the new V/M ubers continue to turn out to their tour is the question, I guess.

Colonel Green

It will be interesting to see how things play out in the future with two tours. I don’t think interest is strong enough for two to survive. Obviously, the Virtue-Moir specific fans are part of the equation here. If all the new V/M ubers continue to turn out to their tour is the question, I guess.
From Tessa’s recent interviews it didn’t sound like she was planning to keep performing all that much longer, so I don’t think two tours is going to be a permanent feature of the landscape regardless.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I don't think Kurt's doing Singing in the Rain in Canada, FYI. I think he's just doing it for that one show in Ft. Myers.
But he is doing the Canada tour. So do you know what he will skate to? Why bring back Singing' in the Rain for just one performance?

ETA: I just read the article and it sure sounds as if he's going to do it for the Canada tour too. That and the Gordon Lightfoot number.

Last edited:

Teenes

My understanding from someone who talked to him is that his other program isn't ready yet. Gordon Lightfoot is going to be one of his two numbers in Canada, yes.

starrynight

From reading social media, I distinctly get the impression that the VM specific ubers have declared war on SOI as being the enemy and competition and so are boycotting it. ;) I think they've concluded that Stars on Ice must have banished VM due to them starting their own tour. Not sure if that is even the truth, though.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
From reading social media, I distinctly get the impression that the VM specific ubers have declared war on SOI as being the enemy and competition and so are boycotting it. ;) I think they've concluded that Stars on Ice must have banished VM due to them starting their own tour. Not sure if that is even the truth, though.

Nothing has been confirmed either way, but I suspect it's the opposite - V&M have left SOI because they want to produce their own tour.
Who knows? Either way, there are now two tours, both featuring excellent skaters, and I as a fan couldn't be happier about it.

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?

Let them boycott—it means better seats for me. I couldn’t be happier knowing that TWO tours are coming to my city this year, and my credit card is going to take me to both. :cheer2:

RoseRed

Nothing has been confirmed either way, but I suspect it's the opposite - V&M have left SOI because they want to produce their own tour.
Who knows? Either way, there are now two tours, both featuring excellent skaters, and I as a fan couldn't be happier about it.
They are doing some Japanese and Korean shows, but not SOI Japan, which does make me wonder if it comes from the SOI side.

I don't really care - I don't normally go to SOI anyways. I saw V/M's tour last year, and might go again. Partly, it was more convenient than SOI for me, since SOI is around when I finish exams and go home, and the cities haven't lined up for me right.

sharilyn

Hello it's me, the friend, aka the interviewer!

He isn't doing Raggy this year. It's a different clownish character, more like Cirque-type costuming. I won't ruin it, but it's more of an extended comedy sketch with a premise sort of in the vein of Slippery Side Up (without all the pratfalls). He recorded custom audio cues for it, and I don't believe there's actual music. When I interviewed him a week and a half ago, he was still working on part of it and didn't want me to watch him rehearsing it. (I did get to watch the Lightfoot one, and it was gorgeous.)

Nothing would make me happier than the return of Raggy (Teenes can attest to how obsessed I am with that program), but I'm genuinely excited to see this one.

paskatefan

Kurt & Gordon Lightfoot - 2 of my favorite Canadians! Wish we could attend the Canadian tour (that's been my wish for years)! Any video evidence would be appreciated!

honey

I could watch that one over and over i.e Singing' in the rain. I thought it was brilliant. Better than some of his I could mention - like that overly cute one where he juggled around a box that was gift-wrapped.

I think Singing in the Rain is his signature piece and I love it. I would watch Singing in the Rain 100 times a day over Slippery Side Up. Not super thrilled to hear the new program is similar to that, which IMO, is one of the worst programs he ever did :shuffle:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information