Stars on Ice Canada tour, April 26-May 16, 2019

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Interesting. I thought Kurt "retired" from the tour a few years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if SOI is struggling to fill seats without enough big names like his.

G&P are entertaining. But adding them isn't going to entice many to go.

puglover

I personally enjoy it when they have "a taste of the future" quoting Rod Black, and have a young local skater, pairs team, dance team skate.

luckiest1

I'm thrilled with both of these additions. I think Kurt will give them a spike in ticket sales. I personally know a few people who had stopped attending because of Kurt's departure, and they are buying tickets today. :) I also know people who will not attend unless Elvis is there. Those two are huge draws still.

Andora

Without VM am not going.

That's a bit short-sighted.

....but I didn't want to point out initially that others may feel this way. Kurt signing on after a quiet retirement seems more like they need him to fill the gap of certain big names. That's sad considering the medal collection of those already slated to skate in SOI. Canadian audiences shouldn't have such trouble connecting with the current ladies world champion, and yet...

dramagrrl

The addition of Kurt has taken me from "not going this year" to "strongly considering getting tickets now".

It will be interesting to see how Virtue and Moir’s maybe ‘rival’ tour and Stars on Ice will coexist.

Well if V/M keep going to smaller centres that don’t get SOI they aren’t really in competition in a lot of places in Canada. I think that was smart of them. I think their challenge will be remaining relevant. It was a slam dunk in an Olympic year where they were media darlings. But I’m not sure if they can maintain that.

Emdee

That's a bit short-sighted.

....but I didn't want to point out initially that others may feel this way. Kurt signing on after a quiet retirement seems more like they need him to fill the gap of certain big names. That's sad considering the medal collection of those already slated to skate in SOI. Canadian audiences shouldn't have such trouble connecting with the current ladies world champion, and yet...
Maybe it is but I do like to buy the on ice tickets and rather go for VMs new tour. Likely the cast will be similar unless SOI prevents the others from joining them which I believe would be unconstitutional.
I dont think the CSOI is selling well as I have never been bombarded with so many emails to buy the tickets. Also noticed thst they are already offering CAA discounts.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Maybe it is but I do like to buy the on ice tickets and rather go for VMs new tour. Likely the cast will be similar unless SOI prevents the others from joining them which I believe would be unconstitutional.
I dont think the CSOI is selling well as I have never been bombarded with so many emails to buy the tickets. Also noticed thst they are already offering CAA discounts.
Why not go for a cheaper seat - there are some that are excellent that I choose to use every year. The one time I was in an on-ice seat I had my view of the corners on my side blocked by others leaning forward. That was an expensive lesson!

Emdee

Why not go for a cheaper seat - there are some that are excellent that I choose to use every year. The one time I was in an on-ice seat I had my view of the corners on my side blocked by others leaning forward. That was an expensive lesson!
That can be a problem and I have had to ask a very jumpy neighbour to sit still once.
I like the on ice also because of the leg room.

There are various other reasons like house guests why it was not convenient to go but my first reason for the decision was when they didnt invite VM.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
There are various other reasons like house guests why it was not convenient to go but my first reason for the decision was when they didnt invite VM.

I think it's a stretch to say CSOI didn't invite V&M. I'm sure CSOI wants nothing more than to have V&M in the cast. It's more likely (and hasn't it been confirmed?) that V&M declined to participate this year because they want to do their own thing.

Emdee

I think it's a stretch to say CSOI didn't invite V&M. I'm sure CSOI wants nothing more than to have V&M in the cast. It's more likely (and hasn't it been confirmed?) that V&M declined to participate this year because they want to do their own thing.
Not a stretch...they were not invited.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
Interesting. I thought Kurt "retired" from the tour a few years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if SOI is struggling to fill seats without enough big names like his.

G&P are entertaining. But adding them isn't going to entice many to go.

It's enticed at least one to go. Bought my tix yesterday. ;)

Andora

Not a stretch...they were not invited.

That's quite a shock, really. They're the biggest stars on the tour - well, before Kurt joined. Why wouldn't they be invited? Just because they built their own separate (and non-competitive) tour?

skategal

Bunny mama
V&M have been committed to the Gold Plates Tour May 9-16 for quite awhile.

Not sure if they committed to that first and thus, CSOI didn't invite them because they would miss half of CSOI or if they committed to Gold Plates after they weren't invited.

But I'm guessing it's the former.

Or they may have been upfront and told CSOI from the beginning that they couldn't commit to the tour because of other opportunities and then CSOI didn't offer the invitation.

I can't imagine that they would be deliberately skipped over by CSOI.

Emdee

If it was the Gold Plates tour alone they would have done the Japanese SOI as in the past as well as some of the other stops.
From what I heard they were not invited. Why would be speculation but your guess is as good as mine.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That's quite a shock, really. They're the biggest stars on the tour - well, before Kurt joined. Why wouldn't they be invited? Just because they built their own separate (and non-competitive) tour?

Stranger things have happened. There's only so much of an audience for touring skating shows, and maybe IMG didn't like V&M partnering with a different company for the Thank You tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information