Sports Illustrated article on Alysa Liu

sjs5572

More recent practice clips of Alysa's 4Lz are posted in this thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...akers-wagner-nagasu-zhou.105610/#post-5584813

ETA:

I'm told a 3A combo is not allowed in the Junior Ladies SP. Can anyone else confirm?[/QUO
More recent practice clips of Alysa's 4Lz are posted in this thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...akers-wagner-nagasu-zhou.105610/#post-5584813

ETA:

I'm told a 3A combo is not allowed in the Junior Ladies SP. Can anyone else confirm?
https://www.usfsa.org/content/2019-20 Singles SP Chart.pdf

It seems okay to do a 3A combo according to the 2019-2020 charts of required elements.

skatfan

https://www.usfsa.org/content/2019-20 Singles SP Chart.pdf

It seems okay to do a 3A combo according to the 2019-2020 charts of required elements.

Huh? According to these requirements a double axel is required for the single junior ladies. Now I’ll grant you that for the combo jump it says for Junior ladies that no repeat of the double axel is allowed while for the junior men it says that no axel jump can be repeated. But the intent is the same - not to have two axels in the SP.

gkelly

Huh? According to these requirements a double axel is required for the single junior ladies. Now I’ll grant you that for the combo jump it says for Junior ladies that no repeat of the double axel is allowed while for the junior men it says that no axel jump can be repeated. But the intent is the same - not to have two axels in the SP.

A double axel and a triple axel are not the same jump.

You can do a double for one element (in this case the required solo axel) and a triple in the combination.
We saw that all the time from senior men in the 1990s while the solo axel was still required to be double. We also saw it at least once each from Tonya Harding and Midori Ito.

Now that the men (juniors as well as seniors), and and senior ladies have the option of doing a triple axel as the solo axel in the SP, they are not allowed to repeat the triple axel in the combination as well.

But they are allowed to do a double axel for the required solo and a triple in the combination, if they so choose. That's not repeating the same jump.

(It would also not be allowed to do, say, solo double axel and double axel-triple toe combination, because that would be repeating a double axel. But it would be legal, at levels where solo triple axel is allowed, to do solo 3A and 2A+3T for the combination.)

skatfan

A double axel and a triple axel are not the same jump.

You can do a double for one element (in this case the required solo axel) and a triple in the combination.
We saw that all the time from senior men in the 1990s while the solo axel was still required to be double. We also saw it at least once each from Tonya Harding and Midori Ito.

Now that the men (juniors as well as seniors), and and senior ladies have the option of doing a triple axel as the solo axel in the SP, they are not allowed to repeat the triple axel in the combination as well.

But they are allowed to do a double axel for the required solo and a triple in the combination, if they so choose. That's not repeating the same jump.

(It would also not be allowed to do, say, solo double axel and double axel-triple toe combination, because that would be repeating a double axel. But it would be legal, at levels where solo triple axel is allowed, to do solo 3A and 2A+3T for the combination.)

Ok. I guess the points won’t favor those layouts so we’re unlikely to see them.

Japanfan

It's kind of exasperating. Nathan and Vincent do get a brief mention in this article. But how about a whole piece about a two time world champion instead of one about someone who maybe, possibly, if the stars align, could win something someday. :rolleyes:

SFAIK Nathan has had plenty of media attention - don't know about Vincent, but I'm sure his bronze medal did generate some buzz.

There is nothing wrong or unusual with hyping Alysa, she is the National champ after all and is remarkable.

But I do think it is far too soon to be handing her an Olympic medal. There plenty of Junior wundergirls coming up in Russia as well, and as we see time and time again, many of the promising ones don't endure.

coppertop1

SFAIK Nathan has had plenty of media attention - don't know about Vincent, but I'm sure his bronze medal did generate some buzz.

There is nothing wrong or unusual with hyping Alysa, she is the National champ after all and is remarkable.

But I do think it is far too soon to be handing her an Olympic medal. There plenty of Junior wundergirls coming up in Russia as well, and as we see time and time again, many of the promising ones don't endure.

The curse of "The Next One". See Canadian Men from 1998-2004

Sylvia

TBD
I'll just put this here... Alysa Liu Q&A from 2019 Governing Council (15 mins., filmed on May 3, uploaded by USFS on May 17): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2GfizGmhVM

Questions were asked via video by Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan and Tara Lipinski (the last video question was from a 9-year-old skater from the Broadmoor SC).

ETA that this interview link also has been posted in the U.S. Ladies thread.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Alysa Liu is an accomplished and a hard working young lady, and a US Champion with the most difficult elements of all the US Ladies, and a good future. I don't see what is such a big deal (that some people are making out of it) that she is getting DESERVED praises and publicity in the press. Go Alysa, even if you don't skate another day, you did more than many wish and dream that they could.

UGG

Alysa Liu is an accomplished and a hard working young lady, and a US Champion with the most difficult elements of all the US Ladies, and a good future. I don't see what is such a big deal (that some people are making out of it) that she is getting DESERVED praises and publicity in the press. Go Alysa, even if you don't skate another day, you did more than many wish and dream that they could.

The praise is not undeserved. The hype is unfair to her. Hype benefits no one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information