Smart Watches?

Winnipeg

Am thinking of getting a smart watch but do I really need one?? Does anyone have one and do you like it or regret the purchase??

screech

I've also been contemplating one, however I have skinny wrists so the screen of the watch is the size of my wrist, which looks odd on me (and makes me more worried about smacking it into something and breaking it). Though I get why the screens are the size they are, I wish that people with skinny wrists would be kept in mind too!!

alizadavida

I have an apple watch (with a skinny wrist too). I use it as a watch and to keep track of my skating workouts. I can't go a day without it - my arm feels bare.

sk8pics

I shopped around for a smart watch last year. I tried a Samsung, a Fitbit watch, and one or two others that I have blocked from my memory. I ended up with an Apple Watch and like it very much. If you don’t have an iPhone, though, you won’t get the most use of its functionality.

Allskate

I bought a smaller, skinnier Fitbit because I have a very small wrist. It does not work well. It's supposed to have an HR feature, but it often clearly gives the wrong heart rate or gives none. It's supposed to remind me to take steps, but that has become hit or miss. I might look into an Apple Watch.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Garmin has some nice watches. Generally they have two face sizes. I am tall but have skinny wrists. I think apple has a lock on good looking. However it is NOT going to work with IOS. And likewise IOS won't work with APPLE.

It is kind of a bummer...but it is what it is.

I bought a simple watch for my 10 year old grandson. I had to get dispensation from my daughter. It has been great though. The live in a rather.private community in Tuburon. (Northern Cal with view of the GGB. It is like the 50s. Kids can roam free. And Jonah can call from wherever and ask if he can go to so and sos house or the park and he is good about it. Also daughter can see where he is.

NOW I AM WAITING to see how she handles it when he learns to sneak out at night l8ke she did.

myhoneyhoney

I wear the Fitbit Luxe. It’s small and I chose the size small band. I like it enough but is my first ever smartwatch.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I love my Apple watch and the way it integrates with my phone - getting email and notifiations and texts. I also use it to set timers.

Mostly it's a watch and a fitness device. I like the heartrate and step counter, the sleep tracking. I like the activity app which makes me do a a certain amount of active calories in a day - I think it's neat. You can also compete and compare, I'm sharing with my husband and my dad. That's fun for us.

I have a series 4 ? I think - which is a little smaller than the ones they have now, but I don't think it's too big. I have small wrists and it's fine.

The only think I don't like is that I have to charge it every day, but I do want to sleep with it for sleep tracking. My husband used to have a garmin watch which he only charged weekly. it was an ok fitness device, it looked more 'watchy' but it had less integration with calender/email/texts.

sk8pics

The only think I don't like is that I have to charge it every day, but I do want to sleep with it for sleep tracking. My husband used to have a garmin watch which he only charged weekly. it was an ok fitness device, it looked more 'watchy' but it had less integration with calender/email/texts.
My Apple watch requires charging more often than before, but not quite once a day. You can change some settings to get longer battery life. For example, if you have the setting where the clock face is always visible, that takes more battery juice, and it can be turned off to help.

manhn

I have had some type of Smart Watch for the last 10 years or so. I have a Garmin, which is fine but is finicky. When I take a shower or my long-sleeve dressed shirt taps on the watch, it moves to some other interface than the clock. I now freeze it so it doesn't move. But I'm too lazy to switch it over to a speedwatch/GPS before the start of my runs. So, I use it more as a fitbit with a walking count. I never cared about heartrate and sleep. I don't read texts or emails with my watch, but the notifications help, especially with phonecalls so they don't drop.

screech

What are people's thoughts on smart watch vs fitbit? Based on size, I've been considering getting a Fitbit, but part of me wonders what's the point, when it's so limited compared to smart watches.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I didn't want an Iwatch but now I have been given one, I absolutely couldn't be without it.
I love using ApplePay on the watch, it doesn't require a code, it is so damned easy.
I love tracking my sleep, heart rate, and how much exercise I've taken.
It is easier to check things like the weather on the watch rather than having to get out the phone.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I had a Fitbit and killed it when I got it wet. I don’t miss it because it got too obsessed with it.

jamesy

delightful
What are people's thoughts on smart watch vs fitbit? Based on size, I've been considering getting a Fitbit, but part of me wonders what's the point, when it's so limited compared to smart watches.
I previously tried two different Fitbits and they were both awful. Each one was fine to start then eventually they had issues like not syncing correctly or not registering steps or not pushing text messages through. Whenever I went online to fix the issues the forums were always full of people having the same problems and inconsistent solutions.

I finally gave up on Fitbit and got an Apple Watch and I love it. Obviously it will work best if you have other Apple products but it does so much more than just track steps. I’m sure I’m only using like 5% of its features (I should actually do some more research on it) but I’ve had it for a while now and not had any of the problems I had with Fitbit.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I love my Apple Watch! I have an iPhone so the watch is like an extension of it. I also love taking phone calls on it, in spite of the poor sound quality, because it reminds me of the Dick Tracy watch from the comics way back when. :lol:

I use it mostly to track activity and to get notifications. I read the stuff on my phone though. Also, I look at the weather a lot using it. I don't use it much to track workouts. I have a Garmin for that. I use the Apple Watch only when I forget my Garmin. I don't use the Garmin as a smart watch either. For one thing, it's ENORMOUS on my tiny wrists. But also, it doesn't really integrate with my phone like the Apple watch does.

I have the SE right now and it's small enough that it looks fine on my wrist. I've had the 2 and the 5 before and I always buy the smallest size available.

One thing I would suggest is to get Apple Care for it. If you drop the watch and crack the screen, it won't be covered under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information