Skating Legend Patrick Chan Retires from Competitive Competition

danafan

Canadian ladies über
https://skatecanada.ca/2018/04/skating-legend-patrick-chan-retires-from-competitive-competition/

“It has been an honour and a privilege to skate for Canada”, said Patrick Chan. “It has given me memorable experiences and has taught me lessons I will carry throughout life. I have fulfilled my dreams and aspirations in competitive skating and it is now time to move on to new challenges and opportunities. I hope to have inspired many young skaters that with hard work, perseverance and dedication anything is possible.”

Catherine M

I really don't have a memorable live Patrick moment as it seemed like each time I saw him skate in person, he didn't do well (see Boston Worlds and this past Skate Canada in Regina) but I guess if I have to pick one, it would be his Rachmanioff LP from 2009 Canadians in Saskatoon. And seeing the "Chantom of the Opera" fan banner at Skate Canada in Kitchener the following fall, which after all these years is still my favorite fan banner of all time.

He seems really happy with Liz Putnam as a life partner so best of luck to them as a couple.

Erin

Banned Member
I really don't have a memorable live Patrick moment as it seemed like each time I saw him skate in person, he didn't do well .

What about seeing him win his first Canadian title in Vancouver? I thought he was pretty amazing there! That's probably my best live Patrick memory and is especially sweet for being the first time I saw him skate live. I'll also add 2012 4CC in Colorado Springs which had the added bonus of a head to head with Daisuke Takahashi. (But otherwise, yes, we are mostly jinxes to his skating...)

binbinwinwin

A good live memory of his skating for me was at 2015 CSOI in Toronto, during the Supertramp number, he was supposed to jump a side by side 2A with Ashley Wagner and he fell! He then got up and 30 seconds later he improvised another 2A like it was nothing, I still remember the audience yelling in delight at that.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Thanks, mr. Chan, you are a true legend.
My highlight is probably the 2011 worlds gala rehearsal, when White and Moir were challenging each other with the steps and Chan was repeating them. Sometimes falling, but all and all looking not bad at all compared to the two top ice dancers.
The other highlight is the TEB press conf when Joubert was asked whether the quads are needed to win (he lost to Chan, obviously), Joubert not understanding the question in English and Chan translating it to French. While trying not to fall under the table.

Erin

Banned Member
The other highlight is the TEB press conf when Joubert was asked whether the quads are needed to win (he lost to Chan, obviously), Joubert not understanding the question in English and Chan translating it to French. While trying not to fall under the table.

That's one of my all-time favourite moments. Chan looked so sheepish having to ask the awkward question to Joubert.

It's a good reminder of how Chan's career went full circle - initially he was the guy that didn't have the quad and was beating guys like Joubert who did. Then he got the quad and all of a sudden he was the one with the technical who could afford a bunch of falls and still win and people were complaining that the quad was worth too much. Then he took a year off and a quad revolution happened and he came back and he was back tobeing the one without all the technical.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Wasn't there something like that at 2010 Worlds? And then Joubert said that if Takahashi does quad flip, he will do quad Lutz? (spoiler: he didn't).

I didn't come to appreciate Chan until later in his career. The skating skills were so pretty, and once he wasn't dominating anymore and didn't put his foot in his mouth so often, I could really appreciate what he was doing on the ice. He'll be missed, and he surely did Mr. Colson proud.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Wasn't there something like that at 2010 Worlds? And then Joubert said that if Takahashi does quad flip, he will do quad Lutz? (spoiler: he didn't).
May be, but I haven't been to the 2010 Worlds. The TEB (not sure which year it was) I do remember :lol:

nimi

I didn't come to appreciate Chan until later in his career. The skating skills were so pretty, and once he wasn't dominating anymore and didn't put his foot in his mouth so often, I could really appreciate what he was doing on the ice. He'll be missed, and he surely did Mr. Colson proud.
Kinda the same for me. I was one of the people complaining about Chanflation circa 2011 (plus I had a deep dislike of his POTO free) while grudgingly acknowledging his superior blade-to-ice skills, but I began genuinely appreciating Patrick's skating around 2013 or so. I know everybody likes to sneer at Kathy because she's "not a real coach" etc. but coming from a dance background myself, I really appreciated the subtle yet noticeable improvements in upper body movement and musical sensibility Patrick made after he had switched to her. He just became so beautiful to watch out there on the ice, from head to toe and to his fingertips.

zebobes

I only saw Patrick perform once, but thankfully it was what I believe was his best ever free skate. 2016 4CC in Taipei, absolutely spell binding.

At the time, I was in disbelief that he could skate that well, having upped his technical to two triple axels and two quad toes. At that moment, I also felt a twinge of sadness, because I had a feeling that Patrick would probably never skate a performance like that again.

Thank you, Patrick, for all the lovely performances.

Sylvia

TBD
CBC Olympics just finished live streaming Patrick's retirement ceremony in Toronto (hosted by Scott Russell; Mike Slipchuk spoke after Patrick) and it can be replayed here: https://www.pscp.tv/CBCOlympics/1YqKDddWBeDKV
(Thanks Scott R. for mentioning Randy Starkman.) Patrick starts speaking after the 7-minute mark.

ETA:

I was lucky to have encountered Mr. Osborne Colson twice early in Patrick's career (2002 Skate Detroit and 2005 Junior Worlds in Kitchener) and his pride in his young student was obvious back then. A BIG thank you to Mr. Colson for teaching him those amazing basics, and to Patrick for showing them off to the world for so many years!

Last edited:

Eislauffan

Patrick has contributed a lot to figure skating. I remember seeing him as a 14-year-old at the 2005 World Junior Championships in Kitchener for the first time and I was impressed by his talent. He will be missed. I wish him the best for his future endeavours.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not surprising. He has accomplished a lot and he must feel it is time to do something other than compete. Good luck to him in whatever he does next. I hope he will continue to skate in shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information