Skate America 2021 Returns to Las Vegas

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Why aren't "resort fees" just incorporated into the room rate? (Not just for Orleans, but hotels in general these days.) I've been wondering this for awhile...Especially since they usually aren't optional...just came back from Ft. Lauderdale and the "resort fee" pretty much included two bottles of water a day, coffee in the room, and that's pretty much it. Maybe the use of the pool was included in that fee? Just wondering if anyone on here with hotel management experience can rationalize this. :)
It's because Las Vegas used to be a place you could grab a cheap hotel room and stay pretty cheaply. It's not anymore and that caused fewer people to come to Vegas. So to continue to get the same amount of money from fewer people while disguising that Vegas is no longer the place of the $50/night room and $5 buffet, they have this 'resort' fee that includes stuff that many hotels include for free or as an optional add-on. (Like access to the spa and wifi.)

At least that's my explanation based on staying in Vegas both before and after the resort fee became a thing. If you ask the hotels though, they have other explanations mostly BS about a better guest experience. :lol:

It's a total ripoff IMO.

As for non-Vegas hotels, I think they are trying to compete with places like Super 8 that have cheap rooms with free breakfast and free wifi. The posher hotels include those things in their "resort" fee so that their rooms look cheaper than they are. IMO, ofc.

ETA I'm in Section 105, row 5! I like to be on the same side as the judges but not right above them as the cameras and stuff can get in the way. And row 5 because the rows closer to the ice make it harder to see stuff on the other end of the rink (the Lutz corner, for example)

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Is the presale through Ticketmaster with fees? I’m not a Friend of FS but will gladly become one if I can avoid TM fees.

AnnM

An email was just sent out from USFS with Orleans hotel rates and a link to book.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Ticket purchased and room booked. I was a bit bummed I couldn’t purchase an aisle seat like last time. I probably won’t be drinking as much with the mask on so hopefully I won’t be using the restroom as much.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In reading Google reviews they no longer have smoking rooms (many reviews are complaining about this).

Do you mean that all the rooms are smoking rooms, or that there are non-smoking rooms but you can't select one in advance?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Fewer smokers staying at The Orleans means less smoke in the public areas. (Because let's face it, The Orleans is not a place you make a special trip to in order to eat in its restaurants or to play its slots.)

Last edited:

YukiNieve

My reservation confirmation email says "Bed type, smoking preference & location requests are not guaranteed, and are based on availability at check-in. "

ETA The hotel has only non-smoking rooms now. See my post below.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
My reservation confirmation email says "Bed type, smoking preference & location requests are not guaranteed, and are based on availability at check-in. "

That's odd that "smoking preference" is not guaranteed, if all the rooms are non-smoking. Maybe the hotel hasn't updated its confirmation system to reflect that there is only one kind of room.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
If I am to be subjected to multiple Russian ladies at Skate America,I shall reserve the right to dull my senses post-competition with a martini and procure a dense cloud of cigarette smoke in my duly paid hotel room.

-BB

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Mom and I talked tonight about making this trip in the fall and after checking all the prices and finding out some friends of ours are also going to be there, we now have our hotel room booked, our tickets bought (section 103), and she is booking our airline tickets tomorrow (we have credits we have to use so the cost won't be nearly as bad as it was in 2019). I guess we're coming to Vegas after all! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

cheremary

For those that already made a reservation at the Orleans through the Skate America link, is the deposit amount around $50 if the first night is Wed or Thu? It looks like that would be refunded if one cancels 24 hours before check-in?

Blue3478

For those that already made a reservation at the Orleans through the Skate America link, is the deposit amount around $50 if the first night is Wed or Thu? It looks like that would be refunded if one cancels 24 hours before check-in?
Yes, I am coming in on Thursday, and my deposit was around $50.00.

SidelineSkater

If anyone has a presale code they'd like to share, feel free to private message me - asking for a friend of course.

Yes - I know it's for FOFS members only.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes. We're coming in Wed. and it was 50.31 or something like that.

If anyone has a presale code they'd like to share, feel free to private message me - asking for a friend of course.

Yes - I know it's for FOFS members only.
The link is on the Skate America public page. I'd post the link but trying to get there crashed the page. 🤷‍♀️ There's a link farther up the page though.

b-man

Link for hotel reservations, worked earlier, now does not? Event ticket Purchased.

A few more attempts, Hotel booked as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information