Should Medvedeva have won the Olympics ?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
It was such an emotional ending, The best Medvedeva has done this season considering she was cut short because of injury. while I agree Zagitova is ahead technically, I cant think of how the PCS Gap in the SP (lol) and now the FS, 75+, then Medvedeva should have gotten 79 or 80. She would have won teh gold, she now joins Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, Lynn and others to not win the Olympics.

No matter what the haters say, they can no longer put in argument Medvedeva was just another pre pubescent teen and one hit wonder. I hope she stays for a few more years and maybe even make the 2022 Olympics !!! so gutted.

Congrats also to Zagitova and Osmond.

bardtoob

Zagitova was lovely, and nobody made Tara wait her turn.

None the less, Evgenia was gorgeous, a worthy Champion through and through, like Michelle.

If you want to blame someone, then blame Eteri for turning out new champions too quickly :p

Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
People will frame this debate in terms of whether Medvedeva did enough to get the PCS/GOE to catch up to Zagitova's overall total, but the real question is whether Zagitova should have gotten those monstrous PCS in the first place, esp. in the SP, and the answer is of course not.

NAOTMAA

It feels like 1998 redux :wuzrobbed

Thank the lord 1998 wasn't judged under COP! I can't begin to imagine how close the judges would have made Tara's PCS scores to beat Michelle :angryfire:scream:

Alina is far better in the PCS then people want to give credit but Evgenia is way better then her then only 2.44 :duh:

ballettmaus

with no backloading and a step out flutz ??? and yes I know Medvedevas flutz was also not called.

:huh: Osmond has four jumping passes after the 2-minute mark, Med has five. There isn't much of a difference there. (Not to mention that the rule was meant to have balanced programs, not back-loaded programs)

That said, if I have to choose between Med and Zag, I'd have given it to Med tonight. Zagitova looked very nervous, Med looked a lot more in command.

WanderlustTO

Sorry, what? I've been a big detractor of Zagitova's back loading...but my only "surprise" tonight was that Medvedeva managed to tie her in the free skate.

This was not Medvedeva's night. I thought her performance was lacklustre. Not a bad skate, but imo not worthy of being put ahead of Zagitova in the free skate, let alone by enough to compensate for Zagitova's lead after the short program.

Ohyes

I can think of about 5 ladies that are more undeserving of their golds at the Olympics in figure skating in the ladies singles event before alina even crosses my mind. Alina had an amazing sp and well-done fs while med was lacking in speed and oomph in the FS.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

It’s 1998 all over again. Personally I don’t think who did better. They both did very well. It’s the judges who always prefer younger girls with higher difficulty.

and when all is said and done it boils down to this right here :drama:

KimGOAT

Banned Member
Well she sure as heck deserved to beat Zagitova atleast, that is for sure. Then again Osmond also clearly should have beaten Zagitova. Zagitova maybe deserved bronze, although personally I think 4th or 5th as Miyahara should have beaten her with atleast 3 points higher PCS in the short and atleast 6 points higher PCS in the long. I think either Medvedeva or Osmond has a decent case for gold and Medvedeva was overscored relative to Osmond, but not sure if enough to make up the gap between them. Zagitova sure has no case, she is a bigger joke than Sotnikova and I didnt think that was possible but she proved me wrong.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It’s 1998 all over again. Personally I don’t think who did better. They both did very well. It’s the judges who always prefer younger girls with higher difficulty.

In the Olympics the younger skaters almost always win.

Willin

Zagitova's PCS were massively inflated. Yes, Medvedeva's were also a little high, but she at least projects to the audience, can do edges to an extent, and had a program with a clear story/character/concept. My parents, who have little interest in skating, were commenting how much better Medvedeva looked and had no idea why Osmond was behind Zagitova other than the mistake.

I think this shows why we need to raise the minimum age for senior. If you want to reward TES primarily, keeping the age the same is ideal; if you want artistry - which the ISU seems to want back - raise the age.

Meoima

and when all is said and done it boils down to this right here :drama:
Yeah it’s ironic but true. The younger girls often go with higher tech and win.
Bauil vs Nancy was a different case. But she’s still younger and fresher than Nancy.
I don’t want to think of 1998.
This all comes down to being born at the right time somehow.

caseyedwards

I got surprised at how much I love zagitova!!! I started threads hating backloading! But it’s allowed. Hope it’s banned. Don Quixote was great. The shapes of her arm over the head jumps were so striking. I’m pro Zagitova! Something about med jumps looked heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information