Shoma Uno announces retirement

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Surprising because he was still obviously in contention for the top spots even this season. I think Lambiel commenting so strongly about how it seemed like all the favor was going towards Kagiyama was interesting— maybe Shoma felt this way too or started to buy into it because of Stephane’s declaration.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Shoma's comments on his Instagram:

Hello, everyone.
This is Shoma Uno.

I have made the decision to retire from competitive skating.

Thank you so much for everyone who has supported and cheered for me as a competitor up until today.

I met skating when I was five years old and I have been able to continue skating for the following 21 years. I am very grateful to have had a wonderful career.

On May 14, I will hold a press conference to announce my retirement and I will talk about my thoughts and future activities there.

The press conference will be streamed live on Toyotimes and I hope you will watch it.

Thank you for your continued support.

Shoma Uno

peibeck

Simply looking
Awwww, Shoma's artistry always enchanted me. He spoke about how difficult the sport has become on him physically in the past few seasons, even though that's when he peaked. I'm sure he should have a great professional career though. Audiences always love his skating.

Lilia A

Now it really feels the end of an era. He was my favorite since 2016/2017. There were so many highs and lows in his career. It's been difficult being a fan given how low his lows were. I thought he would never recover but I'm glad he did and went on to achieve many more victories. I'll miss him, and I'm sad but not too sad because I felt his heart wasn't in it anymore.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Unless I missed something, I’m a bit surprised by this especially since we are just a year and a half out from the Olympics… unless it was an injury. I always feel like skaters such as Charlene and Marco and Piper and Paul when are this far into a cycle are going to go for the Olympics.

Colonel Green

Unless I missed something, I’m a bit surprised by this especially since we are just a year and a half out from the Olympics… unless it was an injury. I always feel like skaters such as Charlene and Marco and Piper and Paul when are this far into a cycle are going to go for the Olympics.
Unlike the ice dancers, Shoma is already an Olympic medalist, and with the emergence of Ilia, Yuma, Adam, etc., his prospects for an Olympic gold (the only meaningful upgrade that he could seek at this point) are dimming. 28 is also on the older side for a genuinely competitive singles skater.

Sylvia

TBD
NHK World's English news report:

Kyodo News:

Olympics.com article by Shintaro Kano: https://olympics.com/en/news/figure-skating-japan-uno-shoma-retirement
Three-time men's figure skating Olympic medalist Uno Shoma announced his retirement via Instagram on Thursday (9 May).
"I have decided to retire as a competitive skater," said the two-time world champion, who turns 27 in December. "I would like to truly thank all those who supported me as a competitor until today.
"I took up figure skating when I was five and managed to continue for 21 years. I am absolutely grateful for the fantastic career I managed to have."
Uno is scheduled to hold a press conference on Tuesday [May 14] to detail his decision and his future.
Associated Press:

AFP/Jiji:

Yomiuri Shimbun:

Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/sports/japans-two-time-world-champion-uno-announces-retirement-2024-05-09/

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This makes me sad. I really enjoyed his skating. I don't think I'll be going to Japan to see him in shows so unless he comes to North America, that's going to be it for me. 😢

Sylvia

TBD
Shoma's own retirement post (embedded in his fan thread):
Comments include:
Vincent Zhou: "You're a legend!! Congratulations on an amazing career"
Daisuke Murakami: It was an honor to be able to compete alongside with you!

JSF’s post:

JGP Final men's champion Rio Nakata's tribute (with 2 cute photos of them):

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
You may know that the ballet world had, for a long time, a successful tour of male ballet stars named Kings of Dance. Maybe figure skating could present a Kings of Blades or Ice Kings? Shoma should be a leader of that.

Shoma
Yuma
Adam
Ilia
Donovan
Yun Wa
Lukas B.
Deniss’
Keegan…of course!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
You may know that the ballet world had, for a long time, a successful tour of male ballet stars named Kings of Dance. Maybe figure skating could present a Kings of Blades or Ice Kings? Shoma should be a leader of that.

Shoma
Yuma
Adam
Ilia
Donovan
Yun Wa
Lukas B.
Deniss’
Keegan…of course!
Gosh... Someone probably needs to plan a trip to Japan to see "The Ice" when it's touring every summer.

With respect to Shoma - I'm not at all surprised at this announcement. It seemed like he was contemplating it during the GP when he lost to Adam at CoC and then Yuma at NHK. What is notable to me is the number of skaters who are paying tribute to him on their social media following the announcement. I get the sense that he is genuinely well-liked by most of his competitors - just a really friendly, hard-working guy that they not only respect as an athlete but love as a person.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
What was your favorite program(s) of Shoma's? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoma_Uno#Programs

Re-posting from the "Underused classical music" thread:
Shoma's Marcello oboe concerto was also a really delightful surprise this year.
LOVED IT :) - found a fan cam of his SP from 2022 Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FF_fsn8fg
His ISU bio lists his music as Oboe Concerto by A. Marcello / Oboe Concerto (Concerto In C Minor For Cello) by A. Vivaldi.
Kenji Miyamoto originally choreographed this for Shoma as a show program - so glad he turned it into a SP!

On My Own

Shoma
Yuma
Adam
Ilia
Donovan
Yun Wa
Lukas B.
Deniss’
Keegan…of course!
Flop after the first show...

YukiNieve

Although we know this was coming soon especially after hearing what he implied this January, lots of Shoma fans and skating fans are already missing him. My X (Twitter) feed is filled with lots of past TV footage and memories shared with his fans and media.

Shoma was born prematurely (only weighing 32oz), and his parents tried various sports with him, and it was figure skating that Shoma chose to continue. It is a well-known story that Mao Asada encouraged him to continue skating when Shoma was 5.

I remember seeing him when his height was barely above the board.

Nagoya TV News (the local TV channel) has been following him since he was 9 and you can see some footage when Shoma was very young here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrMewZEWv0

It is hard to believe now, but Shoma had quite challenges mastering jumps when he was very young (e.g. 8 years old in the video below - watch from 1:09 mark), and he often fell and cried. Young Shoma said "I am not good at jumps...jumps...jumps, (but) I am good at steps, steps."

One of the jumps he struggled most was 3A. It took nearly 5 years for him to master that jump.
I remember seeing the footage showing that he fell over and over and worried about he'd injure himself practicing jumps that way.

Daisuke and Yuzuru are shown in these clips:

After becoming a senior skater, Shoma competed for All-Nippon (Japanese Nationals) and the Worlds every year - not missing any year - which is amazing. In other words, it was so natural to see him for these competitions and we will certaily feel the loss this year.:wuzrobbed

I still remember how fierce the battle for men's final group at the Japanese Nationals last year was and Shoma nailed it as the last one to skate (you need to set VPN for Japan for this clip).
https://sports.yahoo.co.jp/video/player/12052802

A fan compiled a compilation of short clips of some of his past popular programs. It makes me think how diverse the types of music/programs he skated to (the following post has the links of the clip for each program).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information