See Fire in the Sky - Annular Solar Eclipse

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Today, October 14th, the moon will pass between Earth and the Sun. People in the U.S. will be able to see it this morning at 11:30 Eastern time (10:30 Central Time).

Nasa Will be showing this event live on their website. It will also be shown live on YouTube. This is an awesome opportunity to see it live for me and others that won't be able to go outside and view it. If you do go outside to view, be sure to wear the special solar glasses. If you don't have them, a telescope can be used, but you must have the little solar panel/screen that attaches to the telescope, and you must watch it on the panel. By all means, do not look directly in the telescope to watch the eclipse because you could go blind.

Here's the link to watch it live on YouTube.

Editing to add that you should also be able to watch on the NASA App. You can get if for your laptop at the Microsoft Store, and is probably available on Google and Apple store.

Last edited:

Simone411

I just talked to my brother. Now I know that everyone won't have a welding hood, but it works too. He's outside right now watching through his welding hood. He said that he can see the moon covering the top portion of the sun. So if anyone here has a welding hood, you can watch it through that! :lol:

Simone411

Just an update. My brother just informed me that the moon is now covering nearly half of the sun. He and I live in Northwestern Louisiana, and it's about the same as what we're watching live on NASA TV when it switches to the Kerrville, TX area.

Simone411

Okay, it is much darker here, sort of like when the sun begins to set in the evening! I didn't think it would even happen but it has! My brother said the moon is covering about two thirds of the sun! I just know it's exciting to me to experience this!

Simone411

Sorry about all the posts. I'm reading on NASA that the next solar eclipse takes place on April 8, 2024. It will be a total solar eclipse that crosses the U.S. from Texas to Maine. A partial solar eclipse will be visible throughout the contiguous U.S. including Puerto Rico and parts of Alaska and Hawaii.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
We had a perfect day to see it! We had about 80% coverage of the sun, and my husband managed to get a really nice pic using eclipse glasses over his phone camera haha. We're in the path of totality for the next once which should be super fun.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry about all the posts. I'm reading on NASA that the next solar eclipse takes place on April 8, 2024. It will be a total solar eclipse that crosses the U.S. from Texas to Maine. A partial solar eclipse will be visible throughout the contiguous U.S. including Puerto Rico and parts of Alaska and Hawaii.
Thanks for all the information.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It was partly cloudy here. But I did get to see it a few times. Also, I got some cool pictures because my camera lenses were doing that pinpoint thing so I had this ball of fire and the reflection of the actual eclipse also in the picture. My last pictures are really wild though. There's weird rings of color like a prism all around the ball of fire.

Here are 3 of my pictures

barbk

Mr. BarbK found his pair of eclipse glasses, so we had a nice view of the partial eclipse today. It was especially cool to see the shadows it made on the cement of our driveway.

alexikeguchi

It was a beautiful clear day in south Texas, but I was unfortunately working and unable to attend events at NASA or the Natural Science Museum. Lots of my co-workers had brought their glasses to work though, so I did get a couple glimpses during near totality. From Houston, the appearance was of a thin crescent above a black disk, like a crown. Not as spectacular as the full ring, but beautiful and unique nonetheless. I'm also scheduled to be in clinic for the 4/2024 total eclipse, but I did get to see 2017 in Oregon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information