Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

MsZem

I see the sea
She is unbelievable! If we stick to senior major competitions, is there any skater who has that many medals? If they decide to go on for another season, I'm sure there will be more.
Irina Rodnina has more medals at ISU Championships, but if I'm not mistaken Aljona could pass that record next season. Rodnina has more gold medals at major events. Aljona has a greater number of medals overall because there are more opportunities to compete these days (most obviously on the GP circuit).

BittyBug

Disgusted
She is unbelievable! If we stick to senior major competitions, is there any skater who has that many medals?
I think Plushenko comes the closest and still there is a gap:

4 Olympic medals
Individual: 1x Gold + 2x Silver
Team: 1xGold

5 World Championships medals
3xGold
1xSilver
1xBronze

10 European Championships medals
7xGold
3xSilver

7 Grand Prix Final medals
4x Gold
2x Silver
1x Bronze

17 Grand Prix medals
14x Gold
3x Silver

43 medals total

MsZem

I see the sea
I think Shen Zhao are closer to Aljona than Plushenko... Anyone knows exactly?
Definitely not if you look at the major stuff. They have the same Olympic medal record, but Savchenko has more world titles and medals and more ISU championship medals (European skaters don't skip Euros as often as non-European skaters skip 4CC).

I believe the senior ISU championship medal records are as follows among living skaters:
Rodnina 21
Savchenko 20
Kostner 17
Joubert 16
Plushenko 15
Szolkowy 15
Virtue/Moir 14

Not counting team medals, Rodnina has the strongest Olympic record, followed by Virtue/Moir and then Plushenko.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I think Shen Zhao are closer to Aljona than Plushenko... Anyone knows exactly?
Shen and Zhao have a comparable record to Plushenko. They have more medals in total but it's from more Grand Prix events - Plushenko has more championships.

3 Olympic medals
1x Gold
2x Bronze
Team: 1xGold

7 World Championships medals
3xGold
3xSilver
1xBronze

4 Four Continent Championships medals
3xGold
1xSilver

9 Grand Prix Final medals
6x Gold
1x Silver
2x Bronze

24 Grand Prix medals
16x Gold
6x Silver
2x Bronze

47 medals total

RoseRed

Hao Zhang has 45 if I counted right.

Tessa and Scott have 38 total (40 if we count the Olympic team event). I got 36 medals for Carolina Kostner and 31 for Yagudin. 32 for Michelle Kwan.

Earlier skaters don't have the GPF and the GP. Without those, Aliona would have 23 medals.

Irina has 24 with just Olympics, Worlds and Europeans. The same for Ulrich Salchow. Karl Schafer had 22. Sonja Henie would have 20. 21 for Ernst Baier with both men's singles and pairs.

I could keep looking, but obviously Aliona has had an absolutely amazing career.

whiteskates

I agree with Duhamel about Aljona being the greatest pairs skater of all times. I started to watch recordings of her entire career as a senior yesterday (2000 - 2018) and will continue today. it was very interesting to see her develop into not only a good skater but a great artist. I can't think of any pairs skater with such good artistry as she has, regardless of whether she has most medals or not.

Spun Silver

Earlier skaters don't have the GPF and the GP. Without those, Aliona would have 23 medals.

Irina has 24 with just Olympics, Worlds and Europeans. The same for Ulrich Salchow. Karl Schafer had 22. Sonja Henie would have 20. 21 for Ernst Baier with both men's singles and pairs.
:rofl: By lumping Irina together with Ulrich Salchow and Sonja Henie you just robbed her of at least 30 medals.

RoseRed

:rofl: By lumping Irina together with Ulrich Salchow and Sonja Henie you just robbed her of at least 30 medals.
Yeah, but her Wikipedia page has only Worlds, Europeans and Olympics, plus Soviet Championships and Pride of Moscow News. Looking at wikipedia pages was the extent of the effort I was willing to put in.

libecha

Watching their Worlds FS replay, did anyone notice during the transition between the jump combo and the triple toeloops, he flinches violently backwards because she nearly elbows him straight in the face? I didn't see it until like the 10th time through but now it's distracting and I wait for it.

Spun Silver

Yeah, but her Wikipedia page has only Worlds, Europeans and Olympics, plus Soviet Championships and Pride of Moscow News. Looking at wikipedia pages was the extent of the effort I was willing to put in.
Her GP placements are on her Wikipedia page. That's where I got them. Maybe you didn't look in the right place.

D

Deleted member 19433

And of course, there are also CS/Senior B medals, junior medals and national results.

She's incredible.
3 Olympic medals
1x Gold
2x Bronze

11 World Championships medals
6xGold
3xSilver
2xBronze

9 European Champioships medals
4xGold
5xSilver

9 Grand Prix Final medals
5x Gold
1x Silver
3x Bronze

25 Grand Prix medals
18x Gold
3x Silver
4x Bronze

In total 57 career medals on international senior´s level. :encore::glamor:
And of course, there are also CS/Senior B medals, junior medals and national results.

She's incredible.

Don't forget the small medals for just the short program and free skate placements at ISU Championships. ;)

OK, those are never counted in official medal tallies, but I'm curious if anyone knows when they started awarding those and whether they've always done it every year since they started.

Aliona is amazing. :)

Mad for Skating

Aljona posted some throw triple Axel practice clips in Instangram. She wrote that she was already missing it.

I am sure she wants to continue. Her career end would break my heart but you could not write a better ending.

You've got to be kidding me...Olympic gold in 2022 or what?

nimi

Aljona posted some throw triple Axel practice clips in Instangram. She wrote that she was already missing it.
OMG... I'm not the least bit surprised but still, OMG.
I am sure she wants to continue. Her career end would break my heart but you could not write a better ending.
I have a feeling Aljona would prefer an ending where she wins another OGM, this time with a 3ATh (or two).

Considering Yuzu is serious about landing the 4A as his next goal, I guess we should be relieved & thankful she's not talking about going for a 4ATh? :p

libecha

Concept: Aliona and Bruno win 2022 Olympic gold with a quad twist, throw 3A and throw 4S.

I have no doubt that she thinks that magically this would somehow happen, but it takes two to tango and pretty sure I’ve read that Bruno’s back can’t tolerate it. For sure the throw 4S. Her ankle probably can’t either.

I love both of them but I honestly do not want to watch a season of pointless pursuit of elements they probably shouldn’t be attempting to no clear end goal, watching her trying to recapture magic that’s not going to be repeated just because she can’t imagine life beyond competitions and worrying about how bad Bruno’s back is feeling. Meagan Duhamel made it sound like he’s in pain all the time. Sometimes it takes more courage to stop at the right moment.

nimi

Concept: Aliona and Bruno win 2022 Olympic gold with a quad twist, throw 3A and throw 4S.
Well... Considering the list of elements above was literally in their planned content sheet going into the Pyeongchang FS (I vividly remember going :yikes: when I read about it on the forum at the time), I wouldn't be surprised if this is now Aljona's mission. But yeah, Bruno's back and her ankle might have other ideas. :shuffle:

(IIRC Aljona later explained, in one of the translated interviews posted here, that they updated the planned content sheet with 3A and quads right after the GPF because that was a possible plan they floated back then, but after some setbacks that plan was abandoned before Olys and then they just forgot -- or "forgot", who knows -- to update the planned content sheet.)

Mad for Skating

I have no doubt that she thinks that magically this would somehow happen, but it takes two to tango and pretty sure I’ve read that Bruno’s back can’t tolerate it. For sure the throw 4S. Her ankle probably can’t either.

I love both of them but I honestly do not want to watch a season of pointless pursuit of elements they probably shouldn’t be attempting to no clear end goal, watching her trying to recapture magic that’s not going to be repeated just because she can’t imagine life beyond competitions and worrying about how bad Bruno’s back is feeling. Meagan Duhamel made it sound like he’s in pain all the time. Sometimes it takes more courage to stop at the right moment.

I love them, but I secretly want a retirement now. Their bodies deserve a break, and I also want Aliona to have a life outside skating. Sometimes the greats get so focused on one goal that they struggle to have a normal life after sport. And she said she wants two kids (preferably twin girls lol) and she'd be 38 by the time the next Olympics is over (although knowing Aliona, she probably would see having twins in her 40s as just another challenge to be conquered :rofl:) Anyway, they've already blessed us with so much; now it's time for them to go on with their lives imo.

Spun Silver

It's nice when athletes go out on top but there's a reason why so many don't. They feel, right or wrong, that they have more to do in the sport and they don't want to move on yet. It's their call. I always hate it when fans try to retire skaters. Why is it so hard to respect their wishes? People wanted to retire Aljona four years ago. It's not like they would be stealing someone else's time in the spotlight -- they will have to fight for it like everyone else.

If Aljona and Bruno have it in them to give even a handful of great performances of wonderful new programs, how fabulous for us fans. They will figure out when it's really time to go, as all athletes must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information