Sasha Cohen marriage

Sonata

I’ve always enjoyed the Sunday routine column - interesting to see what people do on a normal day - but always found it weird that nobody seems worried about being stalked on the next Sunday after the column comes out.

Nadya

Sasha was always a true American success story, as I see it. She overcame so much but then had a terrible "failure" to reach her dreams and compete for a final Olympic medal. Now, her marriage has also failed! Hopefully she finds the right man so she can be happily marred like my wife and I.

I will always treasure the memories of the spin where she holds her leg above her head. I have not been able to do that since my days in the navy, I wish I could still achieve that position! Good luck in the future to Miss Cohen.

I can't say I agree with you. How is she a "true American success story"? Cohen is a child of privilege who grew up with money and supportive parents who made happen whatever path she wanted to pursue.

I mean, what's a true American success story anyway?

Nadya

The days of "making it work" are over! This is not the era where arranged marriages were supposed to last forever! Last I heard half of all marriages will end in divorce; a shame really, but staying and being miserable is not a way to live! Both my parents were on their 2nd; mother and stepfather! That's an aberration IMO where some women I know expect to be married multiple times! Staying for the sake of the kids should never be said again unless they're very young and the expense of having separate households would take away from their care and stability! :rolleyes: :judge: :puppet: :soapbox:

I am always amused with people who quote this statistics, as if it means something. It's like quoting, as we Russians say, "average temperature reading at a hospital", which would draw from both ICU and the morgue, and thus will be singularly unhelpful.

Average divorce statistics aren't really helpful because they tell you nothing about how often people like YOU get divorced.

If you are at all curious, divorce rates for white, college-educated Americans who entered marriage after 29 years of age are like 12%.

BittyBug

Disgusted
OT but what stuck out to me in that interview (about the 16:00 mark) is that Alexei Yagudin told Sasha years ago that his competitors were doping. This needs to be brought to the attention of the crowd who insist that “figure skaters don’t dope.”
Wow. (And it's more at like the 14:00 mark, not 16:00.)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I can't say I agree with you. How is she a "true American success story"? Cohen is a child of privilege who grew up with money and supportive parents who made happen whatever path she wanted to pursue.

Maybe that is the success in the story. Despite any privileged or advantage she did not slack off until she had made her goals.

Think of all the privileged kids who just slack along. Party to party. Drug to drug. Bad choice to bad choice.

Given American culture these days...I call Sasha a success story.

Justathoughtabl

There are many measures of success. Money is it for some people. Helping others or making a difference is another measure. Or making people happy, or making the world more beautiful in some way, say, by being in the arts. I think people who are born into privilege can create success stories. It's about what you do with what you're given. I wouldn't call Ivanka a success by any of those measures. Sasha, I would say, is working to help others. I do believe she has tried to give back in some ways, hasn't she? I think Oprah is the ultimate. She has made money but also tried to help others AND entertained us along the way.

Winnipeg

Happens too rarely to be a "true American" anything.

There is a song that was sung by Johnnie Whitaker in the 60's called "Every Little Boy Can be President of the United States." (Today the word boy would be changed to child but still).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Maybe that is the success in the story. Despite any privileged or advantage she did not slack off until she had made her goals.

Think of all the privileged kids who just slack along. Party to party. Drug to drug. Bad choice to bad choice.

Given American culture these days...I call Sasha a success story.

You should talk to some of the skaters who trained at her rink. At times she certainly wasn't shy about showing off her privilege and advantage.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member

I guess I should have said she is a false American success story LOL! Isn't there a TV show with a name kind of like that one.

May be I should avoid controversy and say that at least Sasha had wonderful skating skills, no-one would argue with that!

RD

Sasha freely indicates that her courtship with Tom was quick after they met at a Harvard alumni mixer (she had been invited by a girlfriend). She moved in with Tom after several weeks and they were engaged about four months later

:eek: no wonder.

No way you could possibly get to know someone well in such a short time

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information