Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Tarakanova was unfortunately her own worst enemy. Not criticizing, I have been the same way. Her leaving Eteri because of her emotional fits at not being the best at the rink just totally ruined her career. Too many coaching switches, too much drama. She was never going to be in the top Russian echelons. So good for her to realize that now and not have her poor parents go into debt for a dream that will never be.

Ka3sha

Evgenia Medvedeva as Kitty Scherbatskaya in Ilya Averbukh's Anna Karenina show (solo, pair numbers with Aleksandr Enbert, group numbers)
Haven't seen the recording of the full show yet.

Anna Scherbakova is back on the ice after her toe injury (she missed around a month and a half)

alexikeguchi

Evgenia Medvedeva as Kitty Scherbatskaya in Ilya Averbukh's Anna Karenina show (solo, pair numbers with Aleksandr Enbert, group numbers)
I can see Zhenya really thriving in this environment. She was always such a dramatic skater even in her competitive programs. I'm glad skating in Russia is so popular that there is an avenue for athletes like her who excel in performance quality more than insane difficulty to continue.

starrynight

I really like the way Russia does the big well rehearsed productions too.

It’s much more interesting than the old Stars on Ice format of a hodge podge of little show numbers (with no quality control or cohesion) and a few quickly rehearsed group numbers.

Although the SOI model is probably better if you want to clearly see a number of skaters perform.

Bigbird

Weird to see Med doing lifts. Why not? I think she genuinely loves to skate. Had she been from another country, she would have continued till much later, Kostner-style.
I wonder if she skated elsewhere she wouldn't look so frail and weak on ice? I find the look distracting. But kudos to Averbuch for always attempting to construct a quality production.

starrynight

I wonder if she skated elsewhere she wouldn't look so frail and weak on ice? I find the look distracting. But kudos to Averbuch for always attempting to construct a quality production.

Medvedeva still very much has the physique of a singles skater.

Pairs girls, while still very small, are a lot more muscular as they need the additional strength both in the legs and the upper body for pairs elements.

It's not to say that slight skaters can't get the necessary strength. I recall that Meryl Davis once said that her coaches thought she couldn't do ice dance because she was too slight to gain the muscle necessary for lifts etc. But she certainly did and became quite muscular on a naturally very slender frame. Meryl Davis and Medvedeva are probably quite similar in terms of natural body type - I think with the right training regime, Medvedeva could probably achieve similar results to Meryl if she was looking at gaining strength for pairs.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Medvedeva still very much has the physique of a singles skater.

Pairs girls, while still very small, are a lot more muscular as they need the additional strength both in the legs and the upper body for pairs elements.

It's not to say that slight skaters can't get the necessary strength. I recall that Meryl Davis once said that her coaches thought she couldn't do ice dance because she was too slight to gain the muscle necessary for lifts etc. But she certainly did and became quite muscular on a naturally very slender frame. Meryl Davis and Medvedeva are probably quite similar in terms of natural body type - I think with the right training regime, Medvedeva could probably achieve similar results to Meryl if she was looking at gaining strength for pairs.
I never saw Meryl as weak or slight. She may have been small but she never seemed frail. Almost the same feelings come over me when I see Sinitsina of the last season or so. But I sense this is the shape her team prefers based on past interviews. But I guess it just is what it is.

Bigbird

I dont know, she looks kind of like Pang Tong or Yuko Kawaguti to me. Deceptively slight, those ladies.
Maybe you're right. But back to the theme, how is Sherbakova going to fare come September if she's still dealing with a nagging injury? Is the poll up yet for the ladies and pairs who'll make the Russian Olympic team?
There is no intrigue in dance and the men seem too unpredictable.

starrynight

I never saw Meryl as weak or slight. She may have been small but she never seemed frail. Almost the same feelings come over me when I see Sinitsina of the last season or so. But I sense this is the shape her team prefers based on past interviews. But I guess it just is what it is.

Oh of course not - she strength trained to a strong physique even if she was not naturally the kind to have a strong muscular figure. Some people have figures where they gain muscle just by looking at a rack of weights but some don’t.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Anna Scherbakova is back on the ice after her toe injury (she missed around a month and a half)
Anna has certainly had a lot of health challenges.

Tobbe

Panova is Sinitsyna’s coach...still?

Why Sinitsyna? Two events, no less. Relative youth (magical age of 16)? The 2020 Youth Olympics medal, just before *********?

Looking at sheer skating skills and what one sees on the ice (beauty, sleekness, musicality, elegance + jumps) why not Anna Frolova over Sinitsyna?

Sinitsyna seems to be coddled.
It seems the ISU have merged the Season Best lists of both 2020 and 2021 seasons. And rightly so. Then Sinitsyna is well within the top 24 (11th). All the skaters in the top 24 two years ago got two GP spots (except for Zagitova, Medvedeva who didn't qualify domestically in Russia, and Vasilieva who switched to pairs). Khromykh was 24th two years ago but falls down to 26th when you merge the two seasons, so that's perhaps why she only got one spot (but she will probably get the host spot).

Frolova is way down below I'm afraid (36th). It's sad, it seems that Frolova is stuck between juniors and seniors and won't qualify to get a spot in either. There is just too many good Russian women. Frolova's only chance now is to get an early Challenger and do well. For Russian girls especially, it is crucial to get into the top 24 of the SB list. But then again, if there is too many Russian girls in the top SB 24, all of them might not get GP spots anyway (like in 2020 when Gubanova and Tarusina got zero spots).

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It seems the ISU have merged the Season Best lists of both 2020 and 2021 seasons. And rightly so. Then Sinitsyna is well within the top 24 (11th). All the skaters in the top 24 two years ago got two GP spots (except for Zagitova, Medvedeva who didn't qualify domestically in Russia, and Vasilieva who switched to pairs). Khromykh was 24th two years ago but falls down to 26th when you merge the two seasons, so that's perhaps why she only got one spot (but she will probably get the host spot).

Frolova is way down below I'm afraid (36th). It's sad, it seems that Frolova is stuck between juniors and seniors and won't qualify to get a spot in either. There is just too many good Russian women. Frolova's only chance now is to get an early Challenger and do well. For Russian girls especially, it is crucial to get into the top 24 of the SB list. But then again, if there is too many Russian girls in the top SB 24, all of them might not get GP spots anyway (like in 2020 when Gubanova and Tarusina got zero spots).

Frolova is being sent again to the JGP (Slovenia & ?). She just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago.

Tobbe

@Frau Muller

And here is a reminder why Sinitsyna was so high on the seasons best list in 2020. It's her skate from JGP Italy.

Short:

Long;

She was exquisite. Especially in the short which was a masterpiece choreographically.

Sinitsyna is one of those girls that is born on the wrong side of July. Last season was to be her debut senior season but it was not meant to be. She didn't compete at all in the important Russian events because of injury and I think...you know what.
She will be 17 this season. This will be a make or break season for her to get into the very top of the Russian ladies. Those two GP events she got will be crucial for her future career. One of them is GP France...and I'm a bit scared how that's going to work out as no Russians are allowed into France atm.

Tobbe

Frolova is being sent again to the JGP (Slovenia & ?). She just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago.
Yes, if Frolova was from any other country she would have gone senior this year and probably turn up at the Olympics.

I wish Frolova all the best. And if she can score well in her JGP assignments she might get into that SB list. Good for her is that this year the requirements for junior ladies is a 3F in the short, which means more points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information