Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
That's likely why, and completely understandable. But I'm not understanding why Arutunian? Wasn't he famous for saying his "technique" requires two solid years? I'm not sure what his Zoom critiques will really do. After all, hasn't Mariah Bell been with him for a decade, way past 2 years, and she's still plodding on at 25 with no consistent triple/triple? I mean, what will Raf say to her? "Sasha, Sasha, no you are doing it all wrong!! Let me show you how I make Mariah Bell do it!". It's kind of laughable. LOL
Having someone doesn’t automatically guarantee that the skater will be suddenly able to do jumps. If I was with him for ten years I still won’t be able to do a triple jump. Being a great coach is no guarantee that they can teach jumps absolutely anyone. So maybe Mariah Bell’s luck of jumps is caused by her lack of abilities, talent of whatever, than by his?

antmanb

That's likely why, and completely understandable. But I'm not understanding why Arutunian? Wasn't he famous for saying his "technique" requires two solid years? I'm not sure what his Zoom critiques will really do. After all, hasn't Mariah Bell been with him for a decade, way past 2 years, and she's still plodding on at 25 with no consistent triple/triple? I mean, what will Raf say to her? "Sasha, Sasha, no you are doing it all wrong!! Let me show you how I make Mariah Bell do it!". It's kind of laughable. LOL
:confused: I'm not really sure why you'd go to - what has he done for Mariah, when the very clear comparison here is Nathen who has landed all the quads bar axel (as has Trusova) and who he also coached via Zoom when Nathen was away.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:confused: I'm not really sure why you'd go to - what has he done for Mariah, when the very clear comparison here is Nathen who has landed all the quads bar axel (as has Trusova) and who he also coached via Zoom when Nathen was away.
I'm pretty sure Sasha would kill to be able to train with Nathan, to the point her family would send her to the US to train if feasible.

zoe111

Having someone doesn’t automatically guarantee that the skater will be suddenly able to do jumps. If I was with him for ten years I still won’t be able to do a triple jump. Being a great coach is no guarantee that they can teach jumps absolutely anyone. So maybe Mariah Bell’s luck of jumps is caused by her lack of abilities, talent of whatever, than by his?
And actually i think Mariah improved a lot under Raf to be honest. She is not a natural jumper so everything she gets is through hard work and up until Covid had progressed quite well.

Ka3sha

Anastasia Gulyakova’s 4T attempt from on of the ice shows rehearsals

Sylvia

TBD
ETA that I've moved the Sergei Davydov interview to the "From Russia with Love" thread since he also talks about his young male skaters: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-into-winter-2021.107921/page-29#post-5993584
Machine translated excerpt about Elizaveta Berestovskaia's move to the Tutberidze group:
Q: Was it a surprise or shock to you, or were you ready for it?
- No, of course, we are always ready for such transitions, because the result there is now better.
Q: But the competition is even higher there.
- Competition is the result. Where there is competition, there is a result. This is the choice of Liza and her parents, here I cannot say anything, how they look at it, how they see it.
Q: Is it Liza's choice? Or her parents?
- I can not tell. Most likely, while they are children, parents choose for them. This is still not an adult, this is still a teenager.
Q: Have you tried to persuade [her] to stay?
- What for? If a person has decided, if he already has this decision in his subconscious, if he wants to go over, then it is better for him to go over, because it will not be a job.
Q: But you can give some arguments, justify. You have invested quite a lot in it. She came with what - double jumps, right? You have brought it to a certain level.
- Many people believe that they have outgrown their coach, that they need to go further - this is the main opinion.
Davydov also coaches junior Sofia Samodelkina as well as Anna Frolova & Ksenia Tsibinova:
Q: It turns out that now Sofia Samodelkina is becoming the main star in the group?
- I wouldn't say that either. I don't think Sofa is a star or anything else. The leader of the group - maybe, but they must clearly understand: they go out on the ice - you are the star, the leader - you have a job, you must go out and do it. It's the most important. Group leader? Well, yes, probably. [...]
Q: What quads are in the arsenal of Sofia now in combat readiness?
- We jumped in a sheepskin coat [4T] recently. She is now doing well axel, sheepskin coat and salchow. We have now tackled the rittberger [loop] tightly: we come, quickly do everything three or four times so that it is stamped straight, and leave for the next quadruple, that is, so that we have time to catch another element and fully work on it. Now we have tackled the rittberger, and I think we will master it too.
During this season, which is significant for me, everyone stepped over this line. Anya Frolova tackled the quad tightly, last year we worked just as tightly for some time, then she somehow stepped aside, and now I see that she really wants to. Ksyusha Tsibinova began to teach Axel. That is, it does not even specifically concern each athlete, but this applies to the entire system. We took the whole system from triples and dragged them to quadruples, and we accepted and understood all this. In today's figure skating, there is only one way: if you want to win, learn quadruples.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Olympic Channel interviews by Tatjana Flade with translation by Ekaterina Kuznetsova:

Alexandra Trusova (April 19)

Anna Shcherbakova (April 8):

Sylvia

TBD

Google translated highlights:

The FFKKR should decide on the composition of the national team by May 10, by June 1, the Ministry of Sports will approve it. The main composition of the adult women's team will include 6 skaters, 3 more will be included in the reserve - these girls will be entitled to participate in international competitions. During the season, changes can be made to the lists, but with the condition of maintaining the number.

The members of the federation will have to seriously break their heads - 11 figure skaters fulfilled the approved criteria of the Ministry of Sports at once. And this is not counting the main stars of the end of the past and the beginning of this Olympic cycle - Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva . Both Alina and Zhenya have not officially announced their retirement yet.

First, let's figure out what these criteria are:

World Championship (a place in the top 15);
Stage of the Grand Prix (place in the top-8);
Championship of Russia (place in the top 6);
Russian Cup - the sum of the stages or the final (place in the top 5);
Championship of Russia among juniors (place in the top 6).
In other seasons, the European Championship and (every four years) the Olympic Games are added to this list.

Anna Shcherbakova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Alexandra Trusova will perform at the international level at 99.99% next season - all of them are current World Championship medalists. Moreover, each fulfilled almost all the criteria (of course, we do not count the championship among juniors): Tuktamysheva was prevented by the 7th place in the National Championships for a full set, Trusova and Shcherbakova missed the final of the Russian Cup series (although they still entered the top 5 in terms of the sum of stages), also Shcherbakova missed the Moscow stage of the Grand Prix.

For sure, we will see Kamila Valieva in the new season - thanks to the silver in the Russian championship and the victory in the Cup final. Thus, four out of six places have already been taken.

Seven skaters who have fulfilled at least one criterion of the Ministry of Sports:

Alena Kostornaia - despite a nondescript season and missing several tournaments (including the Russian championship), Alena took silver at the Moscow stage of the Grand Prix;
Anastasiia Guliakova - performed more often than Kostornaia, [12th at] Russian championship, but became the 3rd at the Grand Prix;
Elizaveta Nugumanova - the star of the entire figure skating Tik Tok became 5th in the Grand Prix and 6th in the Russian championship
Sofia Samodurova - 7th place at the Grand Prix [10th at Russian championship]
Daria Usacheva - 4th place in the Russian championship, bronze in the Russian Cup final, 4th place in the overall standings of the Russian Cup series;
Maiia Khromykh - 5th place in the National Championships, silver in the final of the Russian Cup series;
Anna Frolova - 5th place in the Russian Cup series final, 5th place in the overall Russian Cup series standings.

Who exactly from this list will be included in the composition for the next season, it is up to the federation to decide.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Google translated highlights:

The FFKKR should decide on the composition of the national team by May 10, by June 1, the Ministry of Sports will approve it. The main composition of the adult women's team will include 6 skaters, 3 more will be included in the reserve - these girls will be entitled to participate in international competitions. During the season, changes can be made to the lists, but with the condition of maintaining the number.

The members of the federation will have to seriously break their heads - 11 figure skaters fulfilled the approved criteria of the Ministry of Sports at once. And this is not counting the main stars of the end of the past and the beginning of this Olympic cycle - Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva . Both Alina and Zhenya have not officially announced their retirement yet.

First, let's figure out what these criteria are:

World Championship (a place in the top 15);
Stage of the Grand Prix (place in the top-8);
Championship of Russia (place in the top 6);
Russian Cup - the sum of the stages or the final (place in the top 5);
Championship of Russia among juniors (place in the top 6).
In other seasons, the European Championship and (every four years) the Olympic Games are added to this list.

Anna Shcherbakova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Alexandra Trusova will perform at the international level at 99.99% next season - all of them are current World Championship medalists. Moreover, each fulfilled almost all the criteria (of course, we do not count the championship among juniors): Tuktamysheva was prevented by the 7th place in the National Championships for a full set, Trusova and Shcherbakova missed the final of the Russian Cup series (although they still entered the top 5 in terms of the sum of stages), also Shcherbakova missed the Moscow stage of the Grand Prix.

For sure, we will see Kamila Valieva in the new season - thanks to the silver in the Russian championship and the victory in the Cup final. Thus, four out of six places have already been taken.

Seven skaters who have fulfilled at least one criterion of the Ministry of Sports:

Alena Kostornaia - despite a nondescript season and missing several tournaments (including the Russian championship), Alena took silver at the Moscow stage of the Grand Prix;
Anastasiia Guliakova - performed more often than Kostornaia, [12th at] Russian championship, but became the 3rd at the Grand Prix;
Elizaveta Nugumanova - the star of the entire figure skating Tik Tok became 5th in the Grand Prix and 6th in the Russian championship
Sofia Samodurova - 7th place at the Grand Prix [10th at Russian championship]
Daria Usacheva - 4th place in the Russian championship, bronze in the Russian Cup final, 4th place in the overall standings of the Russian Cup series;
Maiia Khromykh - 5th place in the National Championships, silver in the final of the Russian Cup series;
Anna Frolova - 5th place in the Russian Cup series final, 5th place in the overall Russian Cup series standings.

Who exactly from this list will be included in the composition for the next season, it is up to the federation to decide.
My bets would be on Kostornaia (provided she has the 3a back) and Usacheva rounding out the top 6, with Nugumanova, Khromykh and Frolova as the 3 reserve skaters.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
My prediction for the Olympic team is Valieva, Trusova, and Shcherbakova. The most vulnerable to be displaced in my opinion is Shcherbakova. Valieva is superhuman practically. Trusova just has to hit and be clean and she'd dominate the field like Nathan Chen. She hasn't yet been clean, but Sarah Hughes never landed a clean two 3/3 program before or after that sole Olympic performance. Sasha is always a threat for the gold medal. Anna would seem to be the shoe-in, being world champ and 3time national champ. But her technique is hanging on by a thread, and if she has a competition at Nationals like Worlds this year where her quads are MIA, she could be the vulnerable one.

As for the Russian national team, I'm sure they will take a spot from the men and make 7 spots for the ladies: Valieva, Shcherbakova, Trusova, Tukt, Usacheva, Khromykh, and Kostornaia.

hanca

Values her privacy
I love Usacheva too. I do think she was a bit overmarked this season on home competitions, but I feel her skating more than Valieva’s skating. Of course Valieva is much better technically, but in the interpretation Usacheva is much better.

hanca

Values her privacy
That's ridiculous, Anna is World Champion and the top skater in the World right now.

Sasha is the one in danger, she's got the "wrong" coach and has to do free skates twice as hard as Anna and Kamila to even have a chance at beating them.
That doesn’t mean much how good someone is this season. Last season Kostornaya was at the top and this season she wasn’t even sent to worlds.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I love Usacheva too. I do think she was a bit overmarked this season on home competitions, but I feel her skating more than Valieva’s skating. Of course Valieva is much better technically, but in the interpretation Usacheva is much better.
It says something very positive about a skater’s interpretative skill if I can watch a Moulin Rouge program without rolling my eyes. Only Josefin and Daria have managed that this year for me.

muffinplus

That doesn’t mean much how good someone is this season. Last season Kostornaya was at the top and this season she wasn’t even sent to worlds.

Yeah, but I think Russian judges like Anna better than Kostornaia (well, they like her too), and having 3 Russian titles and 1 World title >> 1 GPF + 1 European. So I think she is safer based on her reputation

Marco

Top Six should be Anna, Liza, Sasha, Kamila, Daria and Alena. Maiia's quads are not all that consistent.

The big question really is whether Daria can get a 3axel or quad. If she can have one that is more consistent than Alena's, then she pecks ahead.

I love Anna Frolova but without a 3axel or quad, she isn't going to pull ahead at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information