Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Tuk vs Akateva vs Muravieva: Same jumps (3A, 3F. 3Lz-3T), Tuk and Akateva had equal jump scores (all were excellent-Muravieva had lower GOE values, but has a really good step sequence). IMO there is a real difference in quality of spins, speed and step sequence. I love Tukt. but Aketeva was robbed. Again. Score Tuk 84.05, Aketeva 83.39, Muravieva 82.24. All three were excellent, but the difference in Liza's spins, speed and ice coverage is really telling, but the judges gave her the edge in PCS.

Last edited:

zoe111

Tuk vs Akateva vs Muravieva: Same jumps (3A, 3F. 3Lz-3T), Tuk and Akateva had eqaul jump scores (all were excellent-Muravieva had lower GOE values, but has a really good step sequence). IMO there is a real difference in quality of spins, speed and step sequence. I love Tukt. but Aketeva was robbed. Again. Score Tuk 84.05, Aketeva 83.39, Muravieva 82.24. All three were excellent, but the difference in Liza's spins, speed and ice coverage is really telling, but the judges gave her the edge in PCS.
if it weren't for Muravieva's wonky landing on the 3A she'd be right up there with Tuk

rfisher

Let the skating begin
if it weren't for Muravieva's wonky landing on the 3A she'd be right up there with Tuk
All three of them were really good and I think Liza has one of the best SPs she's had in a couple of years. I never cease to be impressed with how she jumps the 3A with hardly any speed. I think Akateva will have the advantage in the FS, but we'll see.

Pair master class by Mish/Gal. :swoon: Her lift positions are just beautiful which goes to show you don't have to pretend to be a dead starfish.

Men: Koylada and Gummenik clean! That's the first time in a long time for Misha. Well done. Big scores for both and well deserved.
Ignatov and Semenenko mistakes on their combos, but the rest of the skates were good. It's nice to see Semenko healthy and Makar is Makar. He does get prettier every year.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Free skates
Dance: Angelopol: it's a real shame they won't win the junior world title. What a talent

Women: Liza: the difference between Liza and the two Sofia's comes down to experience. She doesn't lose focus, she knows what she needs to do and does it. Sofia A, let her nerves get to her. Sofia M great skate. Sofia A can handle her much higher technical content, but if she makes a mistake, she loses focus and is going to make another. But, that comes with experience.

Pairs no surprises but Kahbibuilna/Knyazhuk had the least scary aborted lift I've seen. He totally controlled her dismount and didn't even interupt the flow of the program. Kudos to his coaches who've taught him well. And both coaches and skaters leave with an ice cream. Well deserved. Gallimov :rockstar: Literally. I don't know how he and Kowalskii can be in the same rink at the same time without it imploding. Massive score, and Moskvina just keeps going,

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Yablokov's FS is EVERYTHING!
"Saturday Night Fever" at its finest. Plus quad loop.
This program is already my guilty pleasure of the season.

Ignatov's gonna ignatov...but damn, does he look fine in his tuxedo.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Men FS top 5
Yablokov: In his disco/rock and roll frame of mind Staying Alive is always a good choice in figure skating. He's such a Volchkova skater. He lived and he and Vika are very happy with a good skate. Good for him. This was a good comp for him.
Ignatov: He looks fine in his faux tux. Pity he's pretending to be a bag of popcorn in a hot fire. I think he's up to his 4th fall, but I quit counting. He's so frustrating. He's totally defeated by the end. Bless him.
Semenenko: Mishin has taught him the art of saving jumps that logic says can't be saved. It's pretty amazing really. I don't know how his knees hold up with the stress he puts on them. He'll medal for sure. No idea what the program was about. I'm just glad he recovered from the head injury and can skate.
Gummenik: Slating to Aranjuez. He's a favorite so I'm biased, but he's skated so well in both of his events. I think he finally caught up to his height and has his jumps under control this year. He lost to an excellent Aliev in his first event, but depending on what Kolyada does (always a mystery) he may well win this time. That was excellent.
Kolyada: His first event was a disaster coming off an injury. Fell on the opening quad and wisely turned the rest into triples. Good strategy as the rest were all clean. He's so straight in the air when his jumps are clean. He had a good lead after the SP and should win PCS, but his TES is 20 points less than Gummeniks since he went for the 3s instead of the 4s. This will be interesting to see what the judges do.
Well, third which is totally fair to Gummenik and Semenenko.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Kolyada should apply for a Targaryen role on "House of the Dragon" with this hair. I could totally see him as a teen version of Rhaenyra's and Daemon's sons.

Aaaaaaand...he successfully kolyada-ed himself from gold to bronze :wall:.

Gumennik wins ahead of Semenenko.

ETA: I am :eek: at Gumennik's voice. I would've never thought that this dude has such a deep manly voice.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Kolyada should apply for a Targaryen role on "House of the Dragon" with this hair. I could totally see him as a teen version of Rhaenyra's and Daemon's sons.

Aaaaaaand...he successfully kolyada-ed himself from gold to bronze :wall:.

Gumennik wins ahead of Semenenko.

ETA: I am :eek: at Gumennik's voice. I would've never thought that this dude has such a deep manly voice.
Given the disaster of his first event, I suspect he and Mishin are OK with this one. I thought it would be much worse with the opening fall, but doing clean triples in the rest of the program was probably a good idea. Save it for Nationals which with Aliev and Gummenik skating like they are, is going to be a real fight.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I've watched Mishina/Gallimov's FS again. The opening SBS 3s1eu3s earned them over 12 points. Most pair teams are lucky to get 3 on a SBS jump. Mishina's throw landings were all 2 points or more +GOE. So, high and so solid. The only thing they could improve would be the twist where they got a level 3, but twists are always Moskvina's teams weakest points. And, right now, Mishina has the best lift positions of any pair skater. Never a floppy leg or arm. They absolutely shine when they have programs that let them perform to the audience. I'm not an Elvis fan, but Gallimov makes me one.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
They're always so cute in the knc. Will someone let me know if they're actually jerks? I don't wanna get invested in jerks!
I joined Angelopol's Telegram channel and he seems to be a very nice and funny dude, always very grateful to their fans and team. He also repeatedly asks the fans to be nice to each other when they start acting like Fanyus.

I am soooooooo close to ubering them like crazy. They have already re-ignited my interest in Ice Dance in general.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Thanks for the heads up. From one "lusty old lady" to another.
Count me in the lusty old ladies club. Who cares I'm approx. 210 years older than him? Well, no, only 44! Last year, Deniss Vasiljvevs told me that age difference didn't matter. So I asked him to marry me. He said yes! But only when he'll be my age. I can't wait to be 103 y.o. :p

Yuri

I was fortunate to meet Gorshkov at the Gala of the 1997 European Figure Skating Championships in Paris. Of course, it was only afterwards that I realized with whom I was speaking and that it was one of the legendary ice dancers and champions of the USSR! It took even longer for me to realize he had also skated with and married his great partner, Ludmilla Pakhomova (a major influence on a young Oksana) who had died way back in 1986.

For years my Mom has kept on her refrigerator a formal picture of me, Gorshkov, and Oksana & Evgeny posed on the grand staircase of the Old Paris Opera House as we were about to enter the Gala. Again, I wasn't aware of the significance of where I was posing--the supposed site for many scenes of The Phantom of the Opera--now my favorite Broadway musical by far.

Gorshkov's cause of death at age 76 is unknown. One of his colleagues was quoted stating he thought the stress of the Kamila Valieva doping situation may have contributed to his death, given his role as the long-standing President of Russian Figure Skating.

Lilia A

Gorshkov's cause of death at age 76 is unknown. One of his colleagues was quoted stating he thought the stress of the Kamila Valieva doping situation may have contributed to his death, given his role as the long-standing President of Russian Figure Skating.
Lakernik mentioned that the current situation with figure skating was becoming stressful for him, but, unless they heavily edited his quote he didn't mention Valieva. The only one I've seen so far is Irina Viner. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of that woman's mouth. Honestly, I hope they don't go with that narrative, because while I'm sure some would love a repeat of "the west is evil, blame the west" and I can see the media playing that game again, I can't imagine being 16 and reading "this man died because of something you're directly involved in". Heck, I couldn't handle it now in my 30's, forget being 16.

Lilia A

Media is reporting that the cause of death was a heart attack. I agree with PRLady that 76 isn't old enough for me to assume that anyone just died of old age, so my first thought was "what happened". Unfortunately, heart attacks don't discriminate old from young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information