Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
For me, miming -- unless incorporated really seamlessly into the program -- is too on-the-nose. It's like, "Okay, now I'm going to pause the program and tell you a bit of a story. Now I'm going to skate again. Now some more story. Now I'm going to skate again." A great storytelling program would let the story unfold through the skate.
I absolutely hated her "River flows in you"-SP for the ridiculous rope-skipping and the "SPASIBO!"-scream at the beginning. It gave me chills because of all the FREMDSCHAM.

AYS

🌻
I specifically remember saying around that time -- I could probably dig up the post if it means that much to you :) -- that I thought I could uber Evgenia if she ever got some decent programs. Even at the time, skating those not-so-great programs -- and with an unfortunate habit of landing her jumps with a thud, which I also remember commenting on -- she could make me tear up. She was just that talented, and I appreciated that. Many of us did. That's the difference between disliking a skater, which I didn't, and disliking her programs, which I did.

I'm darned if I know why some people here are so desperately committed to their "FSUers hate Russian skaters for being Russian" narrative, when it keeps getting shot down everywhere you turn.
I couldn't resist. Just a sampling from me, back then. I guess I was a Med uber, I couldn't believe how many posts like this I'd made over the years. :lol:

ostile17

The Russian Skating Union, Figure Skating Federation of Russia, Semen Elistratov, Angelika Golikova, Evgenia Tarasova & Vladimir Morozov have filed an appeal with CAS against the ISU’s ban on Russian athletes. They seek annulment of the decision.

CAS 2022/A/8733 Russian Skating Union, Figure Skating Federation of Russia, Semen Elistratov, Angelika Golikova, Evgenia Tarasova & Vladimir Morozov v. International Skating Union (ISU): The Russian Skating Union, the Figure Skating Federation of Russian and four Russian speed/figure skaters filed an appeal against the decision issued by the ISU Council on 1 March 2022 in which it was announced that with immediate effect and until further notice, no skaters belonging to the ISU members in Russia shall be invited or allowed to participate in international ice-skating competitions such as ISU Championships and other ISU events. The appellant-parties seek the annulment of the ISU Council’s decision. The Panel of arbitrators that will decide this matter is being constituted.

soogar

The Russian Skating Union, Figure Skating Federation of Russia, Semen Elistratov, Angelika Golikova, Evgenia Tarasova & Vladimir Morozov have filed an appeal with CAS against the ISU’s ban on Russian athletes. They seek annulment of the decision.

Kind of confused why only these athletes were named, and not others who would have competed like Trusova, or Mishina Galliamov, etc.

Vagabond

I think they are likely to retire anyways and are being used as first round cannon fodder.
To me, it suggests that FSFR is being cynical and wants to destroy Tarasova and Morozov's chances of emulating their namesakes and coaching in the West.

I❤️Marina&Sergai

To me, it suggests that FSFR is being cynical and wants to destroy Tarasova and Morozov's chances of emulating their namesakes and coaching in the West.
I get what you mean but then maybe other athletes realise what’s happening and don’t want to be used for political fodder. Though I hope Moskvina has more of a moral compass she must know anyone associating with Putin has no chance of having a career outside of Russia should the Russian Economy Collapse

Spun Silver

I get what you mean but then maybe other athletes realise what’s happening and don’t want to be used for political fodder. Though I hope Moskvina has more of a moral compass she must know anyone associating with Putin has no chance of having a career outside of Russia should the Russian Economy Collapse
Do you think T/M had a say in it? I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Rusfed: "As you know, the fatherland is at war in Ukraine and the entire world has declared war on us, not only in Ukraine but in all sports. It is our sacred duty to fight back against this persecution. Therefore all our sports federations are filing appeals. As you are the senior active members of our national figure skating team, and as you are among our most honored heroes of sport after your outstanding Olympic performances, you will be signing the appeal to the ISU. Alternatively, not that there is really an alternative to serving your country in a time of war, you can go wash dishes in a restaurant, if any restaurants are still operating in Siberia. Do you have any questions?"
T/M: Um, not really....

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Do you think T/M had a say in it? I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Rusfed: "As you know, the fatherland is at war in Ukraine and the entire world has declared war on us, not only in Ukraine but in all sports. It is our sacred duty to fight back against this persecution. Therefore all our sports federations are filing appeals. As you are the senior active members of our national figure skating team, and as you are among our most honored heroes of sport after your outstanding Olympic performances, you will be signing the appeal to the ISU. Alternatively, not that there is really an alternative to serving your country in a time of war, you can go wash dishes in a restaurant, if any restaurants are still operating in Siberia. Do you have any questions?"
T/M: Um, not really....
There ARE options.
I know of a Ukrainian cleaner from Mariupol (who still has family there) who cleans my parents' friend's flat once a week whose passport has been expired for some time. He has a girlfriend with a German passport.
So what did this guy do? Went to some refugee officials and claimed he just fled from Mariupol and had no ID papers.
End of story: He got a renewed passport for free from the Ukrainian embassy in Germany. Nobody even bothered to check on him.
Although I think this is a shitty thing to do, but had he said the truth, he probably would have been sent back to Ukraine.

Escaping to Germany might be the easiest thing to do right now if you are Russian (or even Syrian or from Africa) and don't want to endure this Putin shit anymore. If you just claim you have no passport, they are not allowed to send you back.
This might sound evil, but sadly, this is a strategy that has been working for some time.

Spun Silver

There ARE options.
I know of a Ukrainian cleaner from Mariupol (who still has family there) who cleans my parents' friend's flat once a week whose passport has been expired for some time. He has a girlfriend with a German passport.
So what did this guy do? Went to some refugee officials and claimed he just fled from Mariupol and had no ID papers.
End of story: He got a renewed passport for free from the Ukrainian embassy in Germany. Nobody even bothered to check on him.
Although I think this is a shitty thing to do, but had he said the truth, he probably would have been sent back to Ukraine.

Escaping to Germany might be the easiest thing to do right now if you are Russian (or even Syrian or from Africa) and don't want to endure this Putin shit anymore. If you just claim you have no passport, they are not allowed to send you back.
This might sound evil, but sadly, this is a strategy that has been working for some time.
Getting back to T/M, YMMV, but in my moral code, it is not acceptable to propose suicidal heroism, self-sacrifice, or self-exile as the only moral choices for other people, especially those whose situation is not your own. If you, in the same circumstances, can be a hero, a saint, or someone capable of making the wrenching choice to leave your beloved and suffering country, perhaps forever, that's wonderful and I applaud you or at least can understand the hard road you've chosen. We can make all the demands we want of ourselves. But all we have the right to demand of other people IMO is ordinary decency and virtue - which is already a massive challenge, as any self-aware and historically aware person will acknowledge who knows how full of greed, cruelty, lies, and such the world is (not to mention our own hearts). I don't think I have the right to condemn those who are content "merely" to be decent in situations I haven't come close to experiencing. JMO.

Barbara Manatee

But your moral code does give you the right to invent conversations in order to excuse actions that are harming other people whose situation is not your own?

T/M have twice now taken steps that fall well short of "mere decency." They may have been forced or they may have been willing - I don't see any greater virtue in assuming one option over the other.

Finnice

T/M, Sin/Kats, Plushenko and his wife are now on an internet list made by war and Putin opposers. The list is divided in two: ljudi=humans beings and njet ljudi=not human beings. T/M etc. are on the latter list with other Putin supporters.

The only FS people among ljudi aka humans are Volosozhar and Yagudin (the latter is a BIG surprise!!!). While I am happy and proud for them, I am also worried about their safety.

Amy L

Melnikova had a fortunately-timed vacation during the big Putin sports rally (Listunova and Gerasimova went) but I guess she couldn't get out of this one. I looked at her Instagram to see if she had any "clues" about her true feelings but she's always positive publicly about everything so who knows. She withdrew from Russian Nationals but still says she'll try for 2024. I looked up Nagorny and found out that he started a gift drive for Russian soldiers in Ukraine. so. :wall:

antmanb

Tarasova/Morosov are making it incredibly hard to keep liking/supporting them. Scherbakova won gold, is injured, was never likely to continue skating.....has been missing from the pro war rally and isn't mentioned in the case going to CAS.

If we're going to turn ourselves into pretzels with our theories about the pressure the skaters are under to take part in these things then surely your gold medal winner in ladies is the best propaganda to have. If the pressure is so great and the athletes truly have no choice then Scherbakova is the no brainer, yet she is nowhere to be seen.

Surely at some point you have to go with the simplest explanation - T/M are willingly going along with it all?

reut

The only FS people among ljudi aka humans are Volosozhar and Yagudin (the latter is a BIG surprise!!!). While I am happy and proud for them, I am also worried about their safety.
I saw that list too. Yagudin is there thanks to the post he wrote on the first day of war (something in the lines of "please, stop this shit"), that post was deleted quite fast, so I'd say he shouldn't be really included in that category.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information