Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Posted by Ka3sha in Sept. 2021:
Russian Fed announced new rules regarding releases and switching countries for Russian skaters not so long ago. I couldn't find the exact post and don't remember the details now but the main idea was - if a skater competed at Nationals, he has to wait a year to get official release; two years in case of international events (don't remember if only GP/Euros/Worlds counted or C/Bs events as well)

Dobre

Posted by Ka3sha in Sept. 2021:

If Cirisano is allowed/could be allowed to compete 2 years after his last international event, that's not that far away really, is it? I think his second JGP event in 2021-22 was September 29th. Or did they skate a B event somewhere that's not listed on Wikipedia. They skated twice last season, but those can't have been internationals & they didn't skate at Nationals last year so it's already been a year since his last Nationals.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If Cirisano is allowed/could be allowed to compete 2 years after his last international event, that's not that far away really, is it? I think his second JGP event in 2021-22 was September 29th. Or did they skate a B event somewhere that's not listed on Wikipedia. They skated twice last season, but those can't have been internationals & they didn't skate at Nationals last year so it's already been a year since his last Nationals.
Per Sylvia's post earlier today, KhavCiri skated in the RD at RusNats last December. Best guess, he MIGHT get his release next January, but it could very well be January 2025 if the RFSF wants to play hardball.

Sylvia

TBD
Translated comments from Elena Tchaikovskaya and sports journalist Elena Vaitsekhovskaya:
Vaitsekhovskaya:
What remains unclear is this: sports is not human trafficking, and without the federation’s consent, the skater simply falls under a two-year quarantine period, which effectively ends at the end of this year (Dario last competed internationally in the Junior Grand Prix events in the autumn of 2021). So why make a fuss about the denied permission?

Karen-W

Translated comments from Elena Tchaikovskaya and sports journalist Elena Vaitsekhovskaya:
Vaitsekhovskaya:
LMAO - that's some hyperbole there, equating the refusal to grant a skater a release to not engaging in human trafficking. Like, for real, Russia, take a look at your own coaching techniques before you start trying to take any moral high ground.

Sylvia

TBD
Coach Filipp Tarasov, along with his students Anastasia Mukhortova/Dmitry Evgenyev (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107868.htm) who won the Russian Cup final in pair skating, have all moved to Tutberidze's rink:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Gailhauguet put a price on Massot's head, which the German Fed paid, and the Hungarian Fed paid for Zavozin's release, for which Zavozin said he had to reimburse, and Zavozin last skated for USFS before Hungary. When the ISU Council tells the Feds to work it out, it's :bribe:.

Karen-W

Gailhauguet put a price on Massot's head, which the German Fed paid, and the Hungarian Fed paid for Zavozin's release, for which Zavozin said he had to reimburse, and Zavozin last skated for USFS before Hungary. When the ISU Council tells the Feds to work it out, it's :bribe:.
Yup, additionally, the whole rationale behind Russia not releasing Cirisano right now is because of the $$ they've invested in him. Please, tell me, again, how they're trying to prevent human trafficking when they're, literally, holding him hostage from competing for another country.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Gleikhengauz married a ch.1 Olga Pautova (think she was part of one of Averbukh's Ice Ages. Can't remember whether she was skating or commenting)

Lanja

that's some hyperbole there, equating the refusal to grant a skater a release to not engaging in human trafficking
Do I think Russia/Tchaikovskaya are being cynical and disingenuous with their comments now? Yes, absolutely. However, they are not out of the blue. Sebastian Coe has said that he has seen some citizenship changes in athletics that seem akin to human trafficking and similar comparisons came up in figure skating when Katia Alexandrovskaya died.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, what is Russian federation saying is that they will release skaters on their national team two years after the new federation request release, not two years after the last competition. So Cirisano will get his release in Spring 2025.

Karen-W

Well, what is Russian federation saying is that they will release skaters on their national team two years after the new federation request release, not two years after the last competition. So Cirisano will get his release in Spring 2025.
Hmmm... Where is this info coming from?

I suspect, if the Russian fed takes this tack with many more skaters and more than one or two other feds are affected, then they might force the ISU Council to step in and issue releases to skaters who haven't competed internationally in at least a year.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Do I think Russia/Tchaikovskaya are being cynical and disingenuous with their comments now? Yes, absolutely. However, they are not out of the blue. Sebastian Coe has said that he has seen some citizenship changes in athletics that seem akin to human trafficking and similar comparisons came up in figure skating when Katia Alexandrovskaya died.

Edited for grammar.
From that article - gobsmacked by this: Turkey’s team at the 2016 European Athletics Championships, for example, featured seven athletes from Kenya, two from Jamaica, an Ethiopian, a Cuban, a Ukrainian, a South African and an Azerbaijani.

ninjapirate

seem akin to human trafficking and similar comparisons came up in figure skating when Katia Alexandrovskaya died.
Pretty sure Harley was back in Moscow recently. I really hope he's not getting another partner from Russia to skate internationally. TBH, I think he would be better off retiring and skating in shows.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Hmmm... Where is this info coming from?

I suspect, if the Russian fed takes this tack with many more skaters and more than one or two other feds are affected, then they might force the ISU Council to step in and issue releases to skaters who haven't competed internationally in at least a year.
I wouldn't hold your breath, the ISU prefers not to get involved and to let the federations sort it out between themselves.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The stated criteria of the Russian federation for requesting a release for members of the national team also includes Russian nationals. He skated at Russian nationals in Dec 2022 meaning he isn't eligible to switch until Jan 2024. It's not just his last international competition date that's in play here. He knew this to be the case. It's not as if they are suddenly making a new rule. Given there are no international standards for switching federations, I'm not certain what all the angst is about. I personally think there should be a uniform standard, but that's not going to happen.

Lara111

Yup, additionally, the whole rationale behind Russia not releasing Cirisano right now is because of the $$ they've invested in him. Please, tell me, again, how they're trying to prevent human trafficking when they're, literally, holding him hostage from competing for another country.
Maybe she meant the situations when boys from Russia and Ukrain are purchased by girls's rich parents?

Sylvia

TBD
Came across a Russian news item that "choreographer Tatiana Prokofieva, as well as figure skaters Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Evgeni Semenenko, Gleb Lutfullin, Matvei Vetlugin and Andrei Lazukin will take part in the master classes together with Professor Mishin" (Mishin camps) in Mexico, May 24-28 and May 31-June 4.

airgelaal

Zhulin's new interview. I thought that he would not be able to fall lower.

I have a question: are there any mechanisms to ban him forever?

canbelto

Is this guy for real? He's so obsessed with lgbt people and it's creepy.

karmena

I think he expresses the vast majority of Russian opinion so that mechanism to ban him is not going to change anything.

karmena

.... no, he just turned 18 yesterday😉, the poor one was too busy and exhausted to discuss some more important global issues, e.g. how big was someone's stomach or how russia will save the whole world and forgot to mention his age

Last edited:

airgelaal

I think he expresses the vast majority of Russian opinion so that mechanism to ban him is not going to change anything.
I know it. But at least we won't see him.
Well, it's time to use such mechanisms, maybe at least someone will have a sense of responsibility for their words and deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information