Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This is not leniency. This is horrific nastiness and anti Russia hysteria
Bull-hockey. Take a look at the current list of ISU athletes who are serving out a doping violation suspension. 4 of the 8 are from Russia, 2 represent Belarus but are Russian by birth and still live & train in Russia. When 75% of the athletes serving a doping violation are from one country, it isn't "horrific nastiness" nor is it "anti-Russian hysteria."

Try again, you troll.

caseyedwards

Bull-hockey. Take a look at the current list of ISU athletes who are serving out a doping violation suspension. 4 of the 8 are from Russia, 2 represent Belarus but are Russian by birth and still live & train in Russia. When 75% of the athletes serving a doping violation are from one country, it isn't "horrific nastiness" nor is it "anti-Russian hysteria."

Try again, you troll.
Most of them are speed skaters and not figure skaters and one of the figure skaters is long retired Maria Sotskova! So what’s any of that really say? I can’t even find any details on the speed skaters so it’s all totally irrelevant

Karen-W

Karen-W

The point remains I looked and I looked an I cannot find any details about the speed skaters. Even RUSADA website seemed to have a link but then I couldn’t find the name.
And you are still missing the overall point I was making. When 75% of the skaters serving a doping suspension are Russian, that's indicative of a larger problem. One would think, if the problem is merely no-name, limited-talent athletes doping that there would be some US, Canadian, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Norwegian, and French skaters on the list, in addition to the two relatively unknown German and Swiss (well, she's Ameri-Swiss) skaters currently serving a doping suspension. The common thread isn't their level of success but their nationality.

Pink Cats

And let us not forget that Russian leads the way in the number of medals stripped and competitors disqualified

Systematic doping of Russian athletes has resulted in 48 Olympic medals stripped from Russia (and Russian associated teams), four times the number of the next highest, and more than 30% of the global total.[1] Russia has the most competitors who have been caught doping at the Olympic Games in the world, with more than 150.

Every time this happens the person that actually won the medal does not get the accolades that they earned.

caseyedwards

And you are still missing the overall point I was making. When 75% of the skaters serving a doping suspension are Russian, that's indicative of a larger problem. One would think, if the problem is merely no-name, limited-talent athletes doping that there would be some US, Canadian, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Norwegian, and French skaters on the list, in addition to the two relatively unknown German and Swiss (well, she's Ameri-Swiss) skaters currently serving a doping suspension. The common thread isn't their level of success but their nationality.
This doesn’t mean anything to me. Russians started taking a total nothing drug a total placebo really called medloninum in large numbers and it’s proven not to do anything. Some hucksters conmen and others were saying it was a powerful drug. But it was nothing. And then it’s banned because Russians were taking it. It wasn’t banned because it was a proven performance enhancer: it’s not. It’s nothing. So this caused tons of Russians to be banned but it’s actually nothing. So the stats mean nothing.

mumboman

This doesn’t mean anything to me. Russians started taking a total nothing drug a total placebo really called medloninum in large numbers and it’s proven not to do anything. Some hucksters conmen and others were saying it was a powerful drug. But it was nothing. And then it’s banned because Russians were taking it. It wasn’t banned because it was a proven performance enhancer: it’s not. It’s nothing. So this caused tons of Russians to be banned but it’s actually nothing. So the stats mean nothing.
Long time since posting but since Casey seems to think Medonium was a placebo.

Meldonium can be used as a metabolic modulator, changing how some hormones accelerate or slow down enzymatic reactions in the body. This drug takes a little bit of oxygen and makes a lot of energy. Well known fact in the sports world.

soogar

Meldonium can be used as a metabolic modulator, changing how some hormones accelerate or slow down enzymatic reactions in the body. This drug takes a little bit of oxygen and makes a lot of energy. Well known fact in the sports world.

Hard to find full studies online but the they can't find definitive clinical evidence that meldonium has any effect. The Wada guy on Dave' show says they added the drug because they saw so many Russian athletes listing it on their disclosures. Hardly scientific evidence to ban a drug.

"However, human data regarding the downstreambiochemical and clinical consequences of meldoniuminduced carnitine inhibition is minimal. Publishedstudies on this topic have relied almost exclusively onanimal and in vitro data. A Latvian study of 8 humanvolunteers found that meldonium decreased plasmalevels of the carnitine metabolite trimethylaminenitrous oxide.7"

"
. A randomized, controlled trial found that meldonium significantly and dose dependently increased exercise tolerance in patients with chronic cardiovascular disease (n = 512; mean
age approximately 60 years). However, the absolute increases in mean tolerance were in fact small (less than
1 minute in all cases
).4"

"The Western scientific community and lay press have questioned whether sufficient evidence exists to substantiate meldonium’s actual performance-enhancing potential. "
There isn't a lot of clinical evidence that supports meldonium's therapeutic value. In fact there are more studies supporting the use of creatine for muscle building and creatine is not banned. https://www.usada.org/spirit-of-sport/education/athletes-need-know-creatine/

Creatine studies

"Regardless of the form, supplementation with creatine has regularly shown to increase strength, fat free mass, and muscle morphology with concurrent heavy resistance training more than resistance training alone. Creatine may be of benefit in other modes of exercise such as high-intensity sprints or endurance training. However, it appears that the effects of creatine diminish as the length of time spent exercising increases."

caseyedwards

“However, there are debates over its use as an athletic performance enhancer.”

Like I said conmen and hucksters said it was a performances enhancer but it was not.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
CE is correct that Meldonium was banned because so many athletes were taking it so WADA figured it must be doing something even though there wasn't (and still isn't) proof that it actually does help athletic performance. But he's wrong that it was banned because so many Russians were taking it. Russians were not the only ones taking it. It was everywhere.

Athletes and their trainers are looking for an edge. They do some really stupid stuff and try a lot of things that are not backed by science in that quest. Remember when all the swimmers at one Olympics were all "cupping" and how that fad was gone by the next Olympics? That's pretty typical among the athletes I know.

Sigh. I'm still sad I didn't get my Mao-Yuna-Carolina podium in 2014. And this "revelation" doesn't make it better.
It is not uncommon that the A sample tests positive for something and then the B sample does not. That's why they have a B sample. So athletes are not banned from competing because of a false positive. It is not evidence that someone was doping and got away with it.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I didn't think that this new news: a while ago either it was stated before that it was Sotnikova or speculates that she was the Olympic champion whose A sample was positive and B was negative. The only question was that given it was Sochi, how a positive sample would have been let through. so it must have been a true false positive, etc. etc.

LeafOnTheWind

It is not uncommon that the A sample tests positive for something and then the B sample does not. That's why they have a B sample. So athletes are not banned from competing because of a false positive. It is not evidence that someone was doping and got away with it.
Except this is where the doping allegations started that led to the so called Russian ban from the Olympics even though they were still competing as individuals. In this case the "normal" B sample is really, really, really, really suspicious.

Sylvia

TBD
December 2017 article: https://www.insidethegames.biz/arti...-including-olympic-champion-cleared-of-doping
Sotnikova, 17 when she won the ladies event at her home Games, was named in an evidence disclosure package published with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-commissioned McLaren Report in December 2016 as one athlete about whom scratches indicative of tampering were found on test tubes in which urine samples were submitted.
It was subsequently announced that "there is no sufficient element in the evidence available to date", which would establish an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) by the athlete.
insidethegames understands that former Moscow laboratory director Grigory Rodchenkov, the main witness in the McLaren Report, claimed she was not part of the programme.
Mail on Sunday article (July 1, 2023), FWIW: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...Russian-doping-plot-aid-Olympic-athletes.html
Having published an autobiography in 2020, Rodchenkov has written a second book, ‘Doping. Prohibited Pages’. He says: ‘This will tell a fuller story of the history of the Russian doping system from my diaries, which I was able to retrieve from Russia.
‘I hope my book will finally cause the IOC to impose a meaningful and sustained ban against Russian athletes until Russia fundamentally reforms its system of sports preparation, which would take at least a decade.’
In Fogel’s Oscar-winning documentary Icarus, Rodchenkov said the state doping in Russia was sanctioned from the top, by Vladimir Putin. He says now he feels ‘optimistic about future changes’ in Russia.
‘As hard as it has been to watch Russia’s terrorist campaign against Ukraine, I believe Ukraine will prevail and it will force Putin from power and put him in prison, where he should be.’
Rodchenkov is now indirectly helping to catch drug cheats via the Rodchenkov Act, a piece of US legislation that came into force in 2020. The Act was designed so that drug cheats and their enablers could be prosecuted in America wherever in the world their plots are found.

ninjapirate

The way I understood it years ago is that when investigating doping at Sochi that one of Sotnikova's sample bottles was flagged as potentially suspicious(IIRC, the other one was not flagged) but that Rodchenkov never pointed her out as one who had their sample tampered with. I don't think she actually ever had a sample test positive.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

In fact, it is very rare for a B sample to be negative.
Yes, it is. When an Australian runner, Peter Bol, had a positive result from his A sample recently everyone assumed his career was over even though he stated he was clean, and then when his B sample tested negative there was a lot of (very relieved) commentary about how unusual that is.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Do we know which of her samples had the scratching on it, or was it both? And was that the only issue or was it actually positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information