Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppertop1

Kamila will be stripped of her medals (and she should be. Rules are rules l). Russia will hopefully lose its gold in the Team Event. However, the real ones response will get away with it. Ugh.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Article
I swear the whole protected person bs is the best thing to ever happen to Rusada. We'll find out the results when the team event medals are awarded, so in a couple years probably.
And it is the single biggest reason why the age minimum increase NEEDED to happen. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. And I say this as a fan of pairs where the age minimum increase is going to have a dramatic impact on several junior teams. But, it needed to happen - we can't have duplicitous organizations like the ROC and RUSADA using underage "protected person" status as a means to wiggle out of messes like this.

But, realistically, even though RUSADA is saying "oh, it's all going to be confidential..." Let's be real. The Russian press were the ones who outed Valieva's identity last February. Do we really think they won't obtain the ruling or results and publish them?

Lilia A

For some reason if everything was negative and she was cleared wouldn’t they want the results published? So if they want to confidential doesn’t that equal guilt Regardless of age, and all that
No, because then they'll look bad (and by bad I mean even for Rusada's standards). If she's acquitted, they'd rather CAS make that call once the million appeals end. If in a few months or years the team event result remains unchanged and it's ROC-USA-JPN, then we won't necessarily know what Rusada's official decision was. Maybe they said "one month suspension" and Wada appeals. Maybe they said "reprimand, no penalty" and (obviously) Wada appeals. While neither affects the Olympic medals, how Rusada and their ability to carry out doping control (ha!) are perceived can be significantly different depending on what they decide.

Lilia A

Does it mean Gold for USA, Silver for Japan and Bronze for Canada in Team Event?
Only if Valieva's suspension goes beyond February 2022. Anything less than that and it's ROC-USA-JPN. We likely won't know who gets what and who gets what when for a long long time.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
RUSADA says the results of the Valieva’s doping case will be kept confidential due to her being a protected person.
https://twitter.com/anythinggoe/status/1583469810985635843?s=46&t=ouOirXvxu95zZLU4m7R4dQ
RUSADA is a joke. As if we weren't already aware.

Does it mean Gold for USA, Silver for Japan and Bronze for Canada in Team Event?
Sure! Probably in two or three years. Ridiculous. The Russians shouldn't be anywhere near the Olympics for the foreseeable future as they clearly don't give a shit about clean sport.

Cachoo

Kamila's free skate this season is proof of that. They don't care.
If she was donning a hood I'd rather she point directly at her coaching team just like the Ghost of Christmas Future points the way for Scrooge. They are at fault after all. And if not them maybe :grandpa: . She's old enough for her own cup for chrissakes!

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
So the Team Event medals will be awarded like 3 years later once Valieva is not a minor?

angi

That may have had more to do with how pleased they were with her skate, which was very good.
She could have had the skate of her life and I still imagine they would not be THAT happy if they knew a substantial punishment is coming their way. I'm not saying they know anything, I'm saying they definitely don't look like people who got bad news today.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
She could have had the skate of her life and I still imagine they would not be THAT happy if they knew a substantial punishment is coming their way. I'm not saying they know anything, I'm saying they definitely don't look like people who got bad news today.
Maybe. They weren't all that happy with Akateva's skate. :lol:

Lilia A

Another non-update update, but sort of update. According to THIS, Rusada has either not made a decision on the Valieva case or they have yet to notify Wada. Wada will go straight to the CAS if there is no solution soon. I don't know what "soon" means though.

Trillian

I’m curious about what it means for WADA to go to CAS. Technically since RUSADA was supposed to be conducting the investigation, WADA presumably doesn’t have the results yet. So what are they asking CAS to do, in this scenario? Allow WADA (or another third party) to conduct an investigation of their own? Impose some kind of penalty based on the information they have so far? If so, does that penalty only apply to Valieva, allowing any of the responsible adults to get away with whatever they did? Or are they also proposing some kind of institutional penalties anyway due to RUSADA’s failure to act?

This is a pretty vague threat, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information