Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

When did Michelle have simplistic exhibition or pro programs? Competitive programs maybe but Kwan never competed against Surya in eligible competition during that period of Kwan’s eligible career. I want to judge that pro competition for myself. Unless it’s one where she skated to “Beautiful World”. That one I can skip. I believe Surya won the Goodwill Games as a pro over Yuka who was the queen of edges.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
When did Michelle have simplistic exhibition or pro programs? Competitive programs maybe but Kwan never competed against Surya in eligible competition during that period of Kwan’s eligible career. I want to judge that pro competition for myself. Unless it’s one where she skated to “Beautiful World”. That one I can skip. I believe Surya won the Goodwill Games as a pro over Yuka who was the queen of edges.
Yuka fell on a 3Lo or 3S and only lost by 0.1, I believe. Kerrigan stole the show that night anyways ;), but Bonaly really started to use better music and hold her lines a little longer by then, and she later re-added the 3Lz during a World Pros, etc. Her programs were always ad-libbed for the most part, changing the choreography each time she skated.

Going back a bit in the thread, I thought Sato was the easy winner in 1994 (and 1995 under similar circumstances vs. Chen), but I would really argue Surya deserved it most in 1993, basics aside.

VGThuy

I agree that Surya chose the wrong Worlds to wuz rob herself. Oksana may have had potential to display better skating skills but that long program sure didn’t utilize it. Also, if Surya skated at The Olympics the way she did at Euros where she beat Oksana, who skated better at Euros technically, could Surya have won?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So I looked at Surya Bonaly's IG page. She's like a pleasant middle-aged woman who seems to still have a lot of close bonds in the figure skating community. It was nice to see how happy and content she seems now.
I think everyone liked her throughout her skating career. When I interviewed Yuka Sato, I asked her towards the end about the Surya incident and the aftermath since it was something that happened a year into my skating fandom and I hadn’t really read her feelings on it. She immediately said they remained close friends throughout the pro years. She also told a story about how they were in the locker room/backstage between shows on tour one year and Yuka had fallen asleep. Surya took her own jacket and put it over her, and Yuka added that she was always caring for everyone.

Pink Cats

Button said the 'streetsmart musicality' at 1988 Nationals, not the Olympics. It was during Thomas' Carmen program and she was skating wonderfully.

Then the comment may have been about her portrayal of Carmen who was after all a prostitute. Not that it couldn't have been interpreted as racist but Button could have really been saying Thomas was interpreting Carmen's extremely well.

Those of us who are older are not always up to date on the latest slang or idioms. Not too long ago I found out the East Coast Elites can be used as a derogative for someone who is Jewish.

Bigbird

Well, Bobrova served a doping suspension b/c of meldonium. Since this mess started, I assumed Zhulin, like Eteri, found a 'substitute' for meldonium for his skaters. He/his doctor is just smarter about timing doses. I wonder if the full truth will ever come out, a la Rodchenkov. Or East Germany.

:mad:
Shooting the breeze listening to Old Man Zhulin, again? Nothing good will come of this. How's his bio going though any juicy bits we haven't heard before?

canbelto

Then the comment may have been about her portrayal of Carmen who was after all a prostitute. Not that it couldn't have been interpreted as racist but Button could have really been saying Thomas was interpreting Carmen's extremely well.

Those of us who are older are not always up to date on the latest slang or idioms. Not too long ago I found out the East Coast Elites can be used as a derogative for someone who is Jewish.

I actually found out that "cosmopolitan" is like a code word for Jewish recently. I was shocked. I like genuinely did not know.

Pink Cats

So I went and watched a couple of Surya's programs on YouTube.
  1. Whoever designed her costumes needed to lay off the shoulder and upper arm decoration because it made her look disproportionate whereas in the jumpsuit she looks like any other female skate.
  2. And they believed more was more rather than less was more.
  3. She had some nice spin positions except for her sit where she didn't get low enough

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So I went and watched a couple of Surya's programs on YouTube.
  1. Whoever designed her costumes needed to lay off the shoulder and upper arm decoration because it made her look disproportionate whereas in the jumpsuit she looks like any other female skate.
  2. And they believed more was more rather than less was more.
  3. She had some nice spin positions except for her sit where she didn't get low enough
So, you probably need to watch more late 80s and early 90s ladies skating programs because #1 and #2 apply to, oh, well, ALL of them.

soogar

On My Own

1999 Keri Lotion was Kissing You... I didn't find it empty at all, and far better than Surya's program. However, I didn't find the commentary saying it had "an improvisational quality", and felt it would distract from the conversation about racism (which I agree Surya probably had faced) to drag the discussion further, so I didn't continue.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Oh how we have digressed. But given the situation can we really "focus"?

Who cares about Valieva at this point?

DreamSkates

If you haven't seen this short article...
The "pharmacological approach" (use of drugs) to building strong skaters who can recovery from hours and hours of training. And don't drop dead in the process. https://huffduffer.com/csptr/635538
Especially..." writer Gabrielle Paluch broke Twitter with a thread about Alexander Kogan’s research into the ideal seven-year-old figure skater physique, how pharmacological interventions are discussed in the curriculum at the Institute of Physical Culture and how Dr. Filipp Shvetsky, who was suspended for doping violations, considers Kamila Valieva to be his masterpiece."
If you haven't heard this - at the beginning and nearing the end he talks about doping possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523jqK_6jKE

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If you haven't seen this short article...
The "pharmacological approach" (use of drugs) to building strong skaters who can recovery from hours and hours of training. And don't drop dead in the process. https://huffduffer.com/csptr/635538
Especially..." writer Gabrielle Paluch broke Twitter with a thread about Alexander Kogan’s research into the ideal seven-year-old figure skater physique, how pharmacological interventions are discussed in the curriculum at the Institute of Physical Culture and how Dr. Filipp Shvetsky, who was suspended for doping violations, considers Kamila Valieva to be his masterpiece."
If you haven't heard this - at the beginning and nearing the end he talks about doping possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523jqK_6jKE
The "article" is basically the description of the TSL video (from YouTube, even the typos are the same) and a link to the video and the Twitter thread that is linked farther up in this thread.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
**** Putin!
Really!
I soooo wanted to see Kolyada's "White Crow" and Weed Jesus at Worlds! As well as Mishina/Galliamov! And Tuk!

But seriously: I hope they are alright and in a good place for the next couple of months because Russia is running out of groceries. I hope they can all somehow manage to escape.

love skating

Clueless American
Back to the original subject... I just saw this article written by Laura Zeng the US rhythmic gymnast who had her own positive test. I found it very interesting to see her story of what happened to her and her thoughts on the Valieva situation. Basically she says she thinks Valieva should not have been allowed to skate, but she feels sympathetic to her and knows what it's like to be viewed as a "cheat" and most of all she is frustrated with the flawed system.

From one Olympian who tested positive to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information