Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Someone who reads Russian informs me that a more accurate translation of what Pozdnyakov is quoted as saying in the article I posted is as follows:

“According to the WADA international standards for accredited anti-doping laboratories, this result should have been uploaded into the system within 20 days after arrival to the laboratory. Even if we take 20 days, which is the maximum time, it turns out that the sample was delivered to the Stockholm laboratory on January 19 but it was taken on December 25. That is, it's almost a month it has been wandering around somewhere."

Which would mean that, in case the maximum 20 days of analyzing the result were used, that the sample would have arrived on January 19. He does not say that the sample actually arrived on that day.

Does Fedex have a Russian division???:p

Allskate

But, it begs the question, why would JUST Valieva's sample be delayed? Furthermore, if I'm to understand the process - the samples are actually just tagged with a code that doesn't identify the subject by name. So, it really would take some serious manipulation and planning to pick Valieva's sample, of all the samples received, out and delay its delivery to the lab or processing for results. It's just... too convenient. But, par for the course where Russia refuses to take any responsibility for their own incompetence.

It doesn't make sense that Valieva's sample would be the only one delayed, assuming that they were following procedures. But, can we really assume that? I wouldn't be surprised if all the samples from that day were delayed. In that article, Eteri said that they knew when melodium was being banned and the last day that they could use it to evade detection when the ban went into effect. What if they made a similar type of calculation with TMZ but were slightly off with their timing or the timing didn't work the same for all skaters or were concerned that their timing might have been off? To be clear, I'm not saying this happened. But, I can definitely see why they would delay if they knew that a skater or multiple skaters recently had been using a banned substance.

But, again, even if there wasn't an intentional delay, the fact that Valieva tested positive should, IMO, result in her not being allowed to compete in Beijing. It stinks for Valieva, but this is about so much more than her.

DELTA

From what I understand, team gold medal was not discussed at CAS today. So there will be a medal award ceremony? Of course the gold will probably be taken away later.

Amantide

It doesn't make sense that Valieva's sample would be the only one delayed, assuming that they were following procedures. But, can we really assume that? I wouldn't be surprised if all the samples from that day were delayed. In that article, Eteri said that they knew when melodium was being banned and the last day that they could use it to evade detection when the ban went into effect. What if they made a similar type of calculation with TMZ but were slightly off with their timing or the timing didn't work the same for all skaters or were concerned that their timing might have been off? To be clear, I'm not saying this happened. But, I can definitely see why they would delay if they knew that a skater or multiple skaters recently had been using a banned substance.

But, again, even if there wasn't an intentional delay, the fact that Valieva tested positive should, IMO, result in her not being allowed to compete in Beijing. It stinks for Valieva, but this is about so much more than her.
What good would that do when the sample used is still taken when it was taken, 25th Dec. in this case, if I'm not mistaken?

VGThuy

From what I understand, team gold medal was not discussed at CAS today. So there will be a medal award ceremony? Of course the gold will probably be taken away later.
It's only about whether RUSADA should have lifted her mandatory provisional suspension affecting her ability to compete in the Women's event here. The other issues are being investigated on the merits at the moment. I don't foresee any medal ceremony happening in the Team Event while Beijing is going on. I do wonder if the TE medal ceremony won't take place because of the pending investigation, then what will happen to the Women's individual medal ceremony if Valieva competes and medals?

Allskate

What good would that do when the sample used is still taken when it was taken, 25th Dec. in this case, if I'm not mistaken?
Because then they already would be in Beijing. Or even would have competed, which is what happened with the team event. No matter what happens, they will claim that they are the real team gold medalists. And they can claim that it isn't fair to prevent someone from competing when they haven't really had time to investigate and challenge. If you know that your athletes are doping, then delay may be in your interest.

Amantide

It's only about whether RUSADA should have lifted her mandatory provisional suspension affecting her ability to compete in the Women's event here. The other issues are being investigated on the merits at the moment. I don't foresee any medal ceremony happening in the Team Event while Beijing is going on. I do wonder if the TE medal ceremony won't take place because of the pending investigation, then what will happen to the Women's individual medal ceremony if Valieva competes and medals?
I wouldn't want to be a judge in Ladies right now.

DELTA

Mark K stayed in Beijing just to wait to get his medal. Now he may never get it. If only test result arrived early...

Muffin

Because then they already would be in Beijing. Or even would have competed, which is what happened with the team event. No matter what happens, they will claim that they are the real team gold medalists. And they can claim that it isn't fair to prevent someone from competing when they haven't really had time to investigate and challenge. If you know that your athletes are doping, then delay may be in your interest.
Exactly.

Amantide

True. But in my book that's just more confusion and delays. It doesn't change the result in the end, which is what really matters. The biggest loser here is Kamila, whichever way you see it. Well, her and this sport in general. I have no idea how is she gonna be able to compete and whether she wins or doesn't win is going to be bad.

Karina1974

Russia really has a inferiority complex they always have to blame someone else when they get caught cheating or get their asses handed to them fair and square in sports or anything for that matter.

That's WHY they feel the need to cheat to begin with. They realize they really aren't that much better than other athletes from other countries.

If Valieva failed that drug test she had no business being in Beijing. Just like Sha'Carri Richardson didn't get to go to Tokyo. ROC needs to stripped of the team gold, she should be barred from skating in the singles event, and Russia/ROC needs to be put on a ban from all international events for ALL sports. They clearly have not learned their lesson. This BS coddling has gone on long enough.

Karina1974

We don't know even if KV was aware of what she was taking. It could've been mixed in with other medicine/vitamins.
Did Andreea Raducan know the cold medicine she took in Sydney was banned? My guess is no, and she lost the AA gold anyway.

That's not the focus for right now as the decision that is time sensitive is whether she can compete or not. The how/where/when/who knew what will come later (less rushed). I actually think they way this has been dragged out is torture for a young girl. I don't think she should be allowed to compete as at the end of the day the sample was positive but to have this hanging over her and still having to go to practice ice with all the cameras on her is brutal.
If these teenagers want to compete at the elite level in any sport, they need to understand that the rules apply to everybody.

I wouldn't be averse to raising the age limit to 18. Or even 20. I'm getting pretty turned off by watching these young girls getting abused, drugged and over trained to the point of chronic injury for the sake of being able to win a gold medal.

Lilia A

Did Andreea Raducan know the cold medicine she took in Sydney was banned? My guess is no, and she lost the AA gold anyway.
Nope, she took what the doctor gave her. The doctor admitted that he messed up by giving her an adult dose (that drug was, and is once again, restricted to a certain amount, not banned completely). Then, said doctor was banned for 4 years I think (or was it 8? I don't remember, but he was further penalized).

Karina1974

This is OT, but I just learned KV has a history of being bullied. And now she has to go through this.

So??? This isn't "being bullied," this is screwing up by breaking the rules all competitors are expected to follow, and now having to face up to the consequences. Life lesson everyone has to learn at some point.

bladesofgorey

So??? This isn't "being bullied," this is screwing up by breaking the rules all competitors are expected to follow, and now having to face up to the consequences. Life lesson everyone has to learn at some point.
Except it's extremely unlikely Valieva knew she was taking banned substances, so she didn't screw up, rather the adults in her life screwed her over.

Katha

I don't think this is at all being handled well. But to some degree I understand the conundrum the authorities are in. This is not a classic doping case. If proved, this is child abuse via doping and everyone knows it. They're probably all waffling around how to hand out punishment while trying not to ruin Valieva's life. The adults around her need to be punished and in a better world she gets away from that toxic environment. But since sadly this is very unlikely...

Allskate

I don't think this is at all being handled well. But to some degree I understand the conundrum the authorities are in. This is not a classic doping case. If proved, this is child abuse via doping and everyone knows it. They're probably all waffling around how to hand out punishment while trying not to ruin Valieva's life. The adults around her need to be punished and in a better world she gets away from that toxic environment. But since sadly this is very unlikely...
And if she is allowed to skate merely because she is under 16, then there is an incentive for the Russians to abuse more children in the future. It's very, very sad for Valieva, but it is not just her wellbeing that is at stake. So, I don't think there should be any conundrum for deciding whether to prevent Valieva from skating based on her age. IMO, her age just makes the situation even sadder and creates even more need to prevent her from skating.

Muffin

Except it's extremely unlikely Valieva knew she was taking banned substances, so she didn't screw up, rather the adults in her life screwed her over.
I disagree. Anastasiia Shabatova knew what was going on and she was 13. Doping, and passing tests, requires a huge amount of effort and cooperation. It involves lying.

I doubt the young skaters know exactly what they are being given. They are being told by all of the authorities in their lives that this is just how things are supposed to be done, that what they are taking is no different than taking vitamins, that the rules are stupid and are just there to prevent hard-working Russians from taking the gold medals they so rightly deserve, etc etc.

It is child abuse. None of it is being masterminded by the kids. They are doing what they are told and probably don't feel like they have a choice. It is the fault of the adults, who should be the ones banned for life from the sport. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the skaters aren't aware of it.

Muffin

Plushenko gave himself a platinum medal in the day. Never changed the fact that Evan won. So....
I'm sure Plushenko is still proud of his platinum medal. There's an alternate reality at work. The Russian skaters don't even engage with western media because they don't care what anyone thinks outside of Russia. They go home to bask in the glory of being Olympic gold & platinum medalists.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
No, it says it was delivered that day. It hasn't been addressed what happened between the 25th and the 19th and whose fault it would be.

According to Phil Hersh (on Olympic Ice), the sample traveled from Russia to Sweden “on old Russia sled, across the Baltic Sea!” ROTFL!

Also, Phil predicts that the Team Event medals will be awarded in 2038.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information