Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
IMHO this wins best royalty video of the year.

Indeed Princess Charlotte will not be letting anyone get away with anything on her watch. As she told royal reporters outside the church at Prince Louis' christening, "You can't come!" Meaning they weren't invited to join the royals for lunch. :glamor: Charlotte seems to take after Princess Anne and Prince Philip in her confidence and in her strong sense of self.

The above video is also reminiscent of this unforgettable moment:

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/0/2018/05/25/000/592/145/gallery_5_3.jpg :lol: :p

Last edited:

DFJ

Indeed Princess Charlotte will not be letting anyone get away with anything on her watch. As she told royal reporters outside the church at Prince Louis' christening, "You can't come!" Meaning they weren't invited to join the royals for lunch. :glamor: Charlotte seems to take after Princess Anne and Prince Philip in her confidence and in her strong sense of self.

The above video is also reminiscent of this unforgettable moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeiiQx4UVU4

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/0/2018/05/25/000/592/145/gallery_5_3.jpg :lol: :p

I guess it's just me but as much as I really like this little girl, I don't find this particularly cute.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I guess it's just me but as much as I really like this little girl, I don't find this particularly cute.

Yes, in the particular instance of the most recent video with her Mom, Kate, it's unclear to me who Charlotte is sticking her tongue out at. If it's royal reporters, all to the good because they can be such an invasive terror to the royals. If she was sticking out her tongue at participants in the race, then maybe Charlotte was feeling tired and out-of-sorts and in that case, entitled, diva behavior should be nipped in the bud while she's still young.

Harry as a kid was just tired of seeing photographers with cameras, so when Diana told him to wave, he decided to stick out his tongue. And on the BP balcony, Harry was simply having fun. It's context. I admire Diana for trying to make sure that her boys were not cloistered and pampered in the palace, but allowed to see what real life is like, and to truly care about other people.

jlmart

Charlotte was sticking her tongue out at her grandfather (Kate's father). The Middletons looked after the kids all day while Kate and William were sailing.

DFJ

Oh good lord. She’s four. Have you ever been around 4 year olds? Sticking their tongues out and obsessing about burps is what they do.

Yes, I have. I have 2 children and if one of mine had done that, they would have been told not to, it's rude. Sorry, not cute.

MsZem

I see the sea
Estelle and Oscar are enjoying their summer:

And Queen Silvia's newest initiative sounds fantastic:

attyfan

Oh good lord. She’s four. Have you ever been around 4 year olds? Sticking their tongues out and obsessing about burps is what they do.

Actually, it appears that Charlotte is following a family tradition:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

No, it was not cute (except it sure was cute - cheeky little tyke) And, I loved the way Kate handled the situation.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Actually, it appears that Charlotte is following a family tradition:

Yes, one of the pictures (of Prince Harry on the BP balcony) I already linked in my post #1,201. I'm not sure it's as much a royal 'family tradition' as it is childish behavior. And the Cambridges, young Phillipses, et al are exactly that: still children. Savannah Phillips' interactions with Prince George on BP balcony last year was even made into an amusing gif:

Prince George was laughing and singing, and enjoying having fun with his cousin, while Prince William was looking down with a frown, as if slightly annoyed. Prince William should be a bit more relaxed. I hope he remembers how his mother took him and Prince Harry outside the palace to do regular, everyday things and to see how other people live. Diana did that because she didn't want her boys to be spoiled or stuck-up. Savannah playing around with George is normal, and nothing to be annoyed about, especially not at their ages.

mag

Prince George was laughing and singing, and enjoying having fun with his cousin, while Prince William was looking down with a frown, as if slightly annoyed. Prince William should be a bit more relaxed. I hope he remembers how his mother took him and Prince Harry outside the palace to do regular, everyday things and to see how other people live. Diana did that because she didn't want her boys to be spoiled or stuck-up. Savannah playing around with George is normal, and nothing to be annoyed about, especially not at their ages.

Wow, all that from a momentary glance eh? It certainly appears that William and Kate are doing a good job. Diana clearly loved her kids, but she was in no way mother of the year and certainly not someone I would hold up as an example of how to raise children. Both William and Harry are apparently working through the issues from their childhood. I am sure they, along with their wives, will do their best for their children.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow, all that from a momentary glance eh? It certainly appears that William and Kate are doing a good job. Diana clearly loved her kids, but she was in no way mother of the year and certainly not someone I would hold up as an example of how to raise children. Both William and Harry are apparently working through the issues from their childhood. I am sure they, along with their wives, will do their best for their children.

I think the Cambridges are doing an excellent job in raising their children, which is separate from my comments regarding the special effort Diana made to try and ensure Harry and William would not be spoiled and stuck-up, by taking them to homeless shelters, hospitals, theme parks, and to McDonalds. Sadly, Diana dying when her boys were 15 and nearly 13 respectively, meant that they lost her at a crucial time in their development. While it certainly seems apparent that both young men have been shaped by their mother's love and her caring outlook, William in particular was shielded quite often as heir to the throne from his youthful mistakes, after Diana's death. Meanwhile, Harry often took the fall for escapades both boys were involved in as teenagers and young adults. I think it's better to learn from youthful mistakes rather than being over-protected and pampered. From what I have read, William now has a tendency to want people around him to stroke his ego, and to agree with him, rather than taking sound advice from his father and his grandmother, the Queen.

Still, everyone evolves over time, and William certainly seems to have kind instincts, if not always the best judgement. But that's generally true for many people. His less revealing personality is certainly suited to the role he will inherit one day. I think the young Cambridges will be fine too. What Diana used to be able to do with her boys isn't as easy to do today. Still, since Kate has a middle-class background and grew up in a close knit family, I think that's a wonderful asset in raising her children. Plus, her parents, the Middletons, have a lot of grounded, easygoing input and influence on George, Charlotte, and Louis. From all accounts, the young Cambridges appear well-adjusted and their parents allow them to behave like children, without the strict, stifling and/or sheltered constraints that were imposed on young royals in earlier generations.

Parsley Sage

And Queen Silvia's newest initiative sounds fantastic:

Queen Silvia's project was included in a news story here in Canada a few months ago. They were contrasting elderly care in Canada and Sweden. They showed one of the houses, it was beautiful.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Diana clearly loved her kids, but she was in no way mother of the year and certainly not someone I would hold up as an example of how to raise children.

I disagree with you that Diana was not 'an example of how to raise children.' But oh well, you don't have to hold her up as such. The persons who matter and who know her mothering first hand, William and Harry, have already told us how they feel their mother was the 'best mother in the world.' :)

Despite her own emotional and marriage problems, Diana always put her boys first. Her friends have attested to that as well. In terms of raising their boys, as I said, Charles and Diana were on the same page most of the time, except for the pique Diana felt after the divorce when Charles employed Tiggy Legge-Bourke as a nanny and companion for the boys, who fell in love with her (while still loving and revering their mother).

Yes, William was upset when Diana gave the infamous Panorama interview, but he forgave her. Even Diana later regretted giving that interview.

canbelto

From what I have read, William now has a tendency to want people around him to stroke his ego, and to agree with him, rather than taking sound advice from his father and his grandmother, the Queen.

Still, everyone evolves over time, and William certainly seems to have kind instincts, if not always the best judgement. But that's generally true for many people.

Um, I'm not a big "Wills" fan. Think he's kind of boring. But where are you getting this stuff from?
I don't think we know what any of these people are like behind closed doors. You realize that when you see them in public they're in a way putting on a performance right? They are in many ways acting a role.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Um, I'm not a big "Wills" fan. Think he's kind of boring. But where are you getting this stuff from? I don't think we know what any of these people are like behind closed doors. You realize that when you see them in public they're in a way putting on a performance right? They are in many ways acting a role.

Royal reporter Robert Jobson, who is not exactly a favorite reporter of mine, but he is fairly reliable factually, wrote an article about what is known about Wills' behavior and his adult personality in recent years behind-the-scenes. This was around the time Wills was in a bit of hot water after skipping Commonwealth Day Service in 2017 to go on a ski trip with his male friends -- he was caught on camera having fun Dad dancing and smoozing up with females at the bar. At the time, his brother Harry was consumed with a seriously passionate intercontinental courtship, so Wills probably needed some downtime to have some fun too. I thought little of the video, as I figured Wills deserved to let what little of his hair he has left down, now and again. :p

When I came across the Jobson article, though, the suggestion of Wills being difficult and headstrong behind-the-scenes, gave me a bit of pause. The reports about Wills are usually mostly positive, so this report was significant and believable from a fairly well-regarded royal reporter. Of course, Kate appeared lovingly in public with Wills immediately afterward, and the ski trip thingy blew over. Kate had been having some downtime with girlfriends at a completely different vacay spot. In any case, it must be a drag having to worry about stealthy cameras watching your every move in public!

I give both brothers a bit of slack re all the scrutiny. But when stories are believable and placed within context with other background information I know via biographies, interviews, etc., it is what it is. Of course, the public can't know all the behind-the-scenes ins-and-outs, but it is possible to rule out made-up and non-stories from reports that have legs, heft and ammunition. :D

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
It's also possible to rule out surmises from well-meaning fans. We see the faces they want us to see most of the time. And of course H&W say Diana was the best mother in the world. She was the only mother they had. I've heard the same from lots of people.

IMO Diana was the kind of mother that some of my acquaintances were when I was a single girl: a little selfish regarding her time & not wanting to be tied down. Maybe she was different when married, idk. But when she & Charles split she went a little crazy (as far as what she did in public) & it appeared that her kids were not a priority at that time.

canbelto

It's also possible to rule out surmises from well-meaning fans. We see the faces they want us to see most of the time. And of course H&W say Diana was the best mother in the world. She was the only mother they had. I've heard the same from lots of people.

IMO Diana was the kind of mother that some of my acquaintances were when I was a single girl: a little selfish regarding her time & not wanting to be tied down. Maybe she was different when married, idk. But when she & Charles split she went a little crazy (as far as what she did in public) & it appeared that her kids were not a priority at that time.

I'm a big believer in the "good enough" theory of parenting. Everyone would like to think they're supermom, but most moms fall into "good enough" which is ... good enough. And most kids of "good enough" parents will have a normal enough parental relationship. William and Harry obviously have some very fond memories of Diana because she was a good enough parent. If they have criticisms they certainly aren't going to talk about it in public.

attyfan

I thought Diana was great as a mom - she certainly raised 2 great kids?

IMO, both kids turned out fine. At this late date, however, I think it impossible (if not a little ridiculous) to try to distinguish between problems (if any) created by the quality of Diana's parenting as opposed to the problems definitely created by her death.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
[QUOTE="Winnipeg, post: 5618240, member: 19803"

So does Archie have red hair or not?
[/QUOTE]

I think if it is red, they will dye it black so he can be under cover :)

mag

I'm a big believer in the "good enough" theory of parenting. Everyone would like to think they're supermom, but most moms fall into "good enough" which is ... good enough. And most kids of "good enough" parents will have a normal enough parental relationship. William and Harry obviously have some very fond memories of Diana because she was a good enough parent. If they have criticisms they certainly aren't going to talk about it in public.

Just reread my post and I would like to clear up that this is more what I meant. Diana was good enough. I get really tired of all the worship and how she was this amazing parent etc etc. and (insert whichever brother you prefer) clearly had it harder than the other one and is or will be the better parent. There is just way too much evidence contrary. This is not to say she was a bad parent. As I said, she clearly loved her kids. She was, like most of us, doing the best she new how given the circumstances.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Right. Appearances and your particular take, based on your negative impressions of who Diana PoW was. I'm not sure where you are getting this notion of Diana 'not wanting to be tied down.' Seriously? From Diana's own words, she wanted to be loved. She had witnessed domestic violence and a broken home at a young age. Thus, she went into the marriage with childish, romantic notions of living happily ever after with a prince who would never abandon her. She had the innocent belief that she was marrying someone with whom she would spend the rest of her life.

Despite the warning signs that began to crop up right before the marriage, Diana really had no idea of what she was walking into. She barely knew Prince Charles before he was essentially forced (by his elders) into asking her to marry him. Plus, Diana did not have much life experience or knowledge of who she was as a person. She ended up maturing as a woman the hard way, in a loveless marriage and isolated within an ancient institution. She did the best she was able to under those circumstances in an age that predated the Internet and social media. Trapped within her royal cage in that era, there were not many options for her to reach out, other than by anonymously telling her story through a royal journalist.

Diana was most definitely fallible, needy and emotional, but her two boys meant everything to her. She gave them devoted attention, deep love, nurturing, and a sense of responsibility toward others. Even as a child, Diana was a loving and nurturing person, as remembered by her younger brother, Earl Spencer.

So, I see Diana differently than you, based on my own different life experiences, and based on reading, viewing of documentaries, interviews and accounts by eyewitnesses, and biographies. Oh well, life is what it is for all of us, and we all see what we are capable of seeing.

Last edited:

taf2002

I got my impression of "not wanting to be tied down" by her actions after the separation/divorce. YMMV

Winnipeg

I think her action after the divorce was not a result of not wanting to be tied down. It was her reaction to being truly upset over the infidelity of her husband (ex) and his deceit to her right from day one when he asked her to marry him knowing he loved someone else. She probably felt a bit duped or used? Notwithstanding, she loved her sons and would not take that back for the world.

In many ways, if she did not want to be tied down then the infidelity of Charles would be no biggie because then she could be "free" to pursue her own interests. Right?

taf2002

I read a report today that Archie has "tufts of red hair". So the thread title was eerily accurate. :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm not sure not wanting to be tied down is the more accurate wording. It was more that she went a little wild after the divorce. This is not uncommon after a divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information