Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

To my eye George and Louis are very Middleton looking and Charlotte is very Windsor.

canbelto

I think George and Charlotte are very Windsor and Louis is very Middleton. Don't see much Spencer in any of the three kids.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Charlotte is something else. She is cheeky. All three are gorgeous and lovely.

mag

I think George and Charlotte are very Windsor and Louis is very Middleton. Don't see much Spencer in any of the three kids.

I agree about the lack of Spencer which is surprising given how much William looks like Diana.

Lorac

Just saw the video of the Cambridge's in the garden. So adorable especially with George and Charlotte going barefoot. William and Kate are doing a great job bringing those kids up as normal as they can for who they are. :)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I agree about the lack of Spencer which is surprising given how much William looks like Diana.

Yes, I think William has his mother's smile and his mother's nose. Harry has more of Diana's charm and down-to-earth personality.

To be honest, children take from a variety of their parents' DNA. :) I think Charlotte does resemble the Windsor side more. And little Louis at this point appears to take more after the Middletons with the Spencer coloring. It's obvious that George has the Windsor knock-knees. And George also has the fair coloring of the Spencer side of the family. Of course, George's and Louis' blond hair may darken a bit as they get older.

In any case, to me George looks facially a lot like his Grandpa Middleton with his mother's dark eyes. Yet George also seems to have a lot of Diana's spirit in him. George enjoys dancing, as did Diana. And looking closely, some of George's facial expressions remind me of Diana, even though George has dark eyes and his Middleton Grandpa's nose:
https://cdn.graziadaily.co.uk/one/l...&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg
http://cdn.mamamia.com.au/wp/wp-con...7191507/Prince-george-first-day-at-school.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HSh0o-qy...Ac/-QvtcDSigQ0/s1600/Young-Princess-Diana.jpg
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/wp-...e-3rd-Birthday-Photos-FB-The-Royal-Family.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/31/23/42DACE5C00000578-4747990-image-m-10_1501540356084.jpg
https://whatkatewore.com/wp-content...mbridge-Family-Christmas-Card-Dec-14-2018.jpg
https://youtu.be/HbjJoSNeoSk?t=107 see Diana posing similar to George 1:47 to 1:49
https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/wedding-ee.jpg?w=

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xsxFp-Kl...Gpcw/s1600/tumblr_m8gmylOyus1r0j6mso4_400.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/48/06/b3480606f11e138deccb1b01c4c5a70e.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-khrMEvy8bzo/Ue0ssdkWYqI/AAAAAAAABHU/mCfqlmUQrSU/s1600/13.jpg
https://img3.closermag.fr/var/close...the-duke-cambridge-play-t_exact1024x768_l.jpg

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Candid wedding photos shared by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex; celebrating their first anniversary:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxotAfKgy1o/

One of my favorites is of Meghan; signing the register, after the ceremony.

I like the one of Meghan and her mother holding hands, possibly after they had all signed the register. And also the first photo of Harry and Meghan holding hands and smiling, possibly just before they walked back to the Quire entrance and paused while God Save the Queen was played.

ITV's Royal Rota latest episode with Chris Ship, co-host Lizzie Robinson, and guest host Alan Jones, the PA reporter who interviewed Harry on the day Archie was born, and also interviewed Harry & Meghan two days later at the photo-call with Archie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5UMDKjGiRM

Lorac

Kate back at Chelsea today chatting and playing with school children who were visiting the garden:

Kate gets her hands dirty!

Love her outfit - casual but just a little dressy. I'm assuming the Queen will be visiting the garden later when she attends the show - will Kate change outfits or stay as she is!?

mag

Kate back at Chelsea today chatting and playing with school children who were visiting the garden:

Kate gets her hands dirty!

Love her outfit - casual but just a little dressy. I'm assuming the Queen will be visiting the garden later when she attends the show - will Kate change outfits or stay as she is!?

I am going to go with change. Kate is fairly traditional so I am sure she will have a dress on when the Queen arrives.

I suspect the Queen will love the garden. She is such an outdoors sort of person I think she will appreciate all the thought and planning that went into it. I think the Queen must just be so proud of William and Kate! They are doing a fabulous job both with their family and representing the Crown and Britain. Kate really was the perfect choice - William must also be thrilled.

mag

Yes, I think William has his mother's smile and his mother's nose. Harry has more of Diana's charm and down-to-earth personality.

See I think William interacts with people very much like Diana did, and Harry is all his father. Charles, when not feeling the restrictions of his role, is quite the prankster and has a mischievous side. He is also really good with kids. Look at the photos of Charles with Camilla’s granddaughter at William and Kate’s wedding and the photo of him with Louis. It is a side that is not often shown, but it is there. I think, like in skating, the press tends to buttonhole people into a type so Charles was cast as the boring cold one next to Diana’s warmth and excitement when I suspect both their personalities were/are much more complex. Harry also looks a lot like Charles.

canbelto

I agree that William takes after Diana in the way hes able to sit down with a group of people and talk about touchy subjects. I agree that Harry has the Windsor sense of humor but also is more closed off about his feelings in public.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Ran across this lovely group of pictures of William and Kate and the kids. Several are at the park. Several are older, but many I have not seen. Those three children are flippin gorgeous.

aftershocks

Banned Member
See I think William interacts with people very much like Diana did, and Harry is all his father. Charles, when not feeling the restrictions of his role, is quite the prankster and has a mischievous side. He is also really good with kids. Look at the photos of Charles with Camilla’s granddaughter at William and Kate’s wedding and the photo of him with Louis. It is a side that is not often shown, but it is there. I think, like in skating, the press tends to buttonhole people into a type so Charles was cast as the boring cold one next to Diana’s warmth and excitement when I suspect both their personalities were/are much more complex. Harry also looks a lot like Charles.

I'm sure Harry & William both take a lot from each of their parents. But again, William's personality appears to be more reserved than Harry's and Diana's. Even Diana herself is said to have confided in friends that William is more sensitive and introspective. With Harry, what you see is what you get. Harry wears his heart on his sleeve. Many who knew Diana well have observed how much Harry takes after her in terms of personality and mischievousness. In terms of looks, Harry has the Spencer coloring, but he resembles Prince Philip a lot.

Charles may not be quite as reserved as William, but I think Charles and William both have more sensitive and introspective natures than does Harry. In fact, Elton John, who was a close friend of Diana's had this to say about Harry:
"It's an incredible gift to have that talent, that gift to make people feel as if they are loved, and they are appreciated, and they are thought well of, and they matter. I haven't seen many people in my life who have been able to do that. Harry's mother is one. Harry is another."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3x-_XgpEvk Elton comments at different points in this documntary

aftershocks

Banned Member
I agree that William takes after Diana in the way hes able to sit down with a group of people and talk about touchy subjects. I agree that Harry has the Windsor sense of humor but also is more closed off about his feelings in public.

I completely disagree that Harry is more closed off in public about his feelings. Have you seen Harry on walkabouts and during Invictus Games events? He engages with people in a very gregarious way. I find William engaging, and he has a dry sense of humor, but there's also a reserve and a holding back, which is in keeping not only with William's personality, but also with the role he will one day inherit. Harry is much more personable and outgoing than William, IMO.

OTOH, both William and Harry are reserved and closed off toward most of the media! They are both determined to preserve and protect their families' privacy. This is part of the reason that royal journalists have recently been so upset with Harry. When he was single, he hung out on tour a lot with the accompanying media entourage. Now that Harry is married, he is understandably less open and accessible, especially due to the way his wife has been OTT criticized, scrutinized and unfairly characterized from the very beginning of their relationship.

Lorac

I am going to go with change. Kate is fairly traditional so I am sure she will have a dress on when the Queen arrives.

I suspect the Queen will love the garden. She is such an outdoors sort of person I think she will appreciate all the thought and planning that went into it. I think the Queen must just be so proud of William and Kate! They are doing a fabulous job both with their family and representing the Crown and Britain. Kate really was the perfect choice - William must also be thrilled.

Yep Kate wore a dress - and a lovely one at that. William accompanied her to the show and both were with the Queen in Kate's garden. Love the interaction between them when QEII commented how tidy Kate and William looked and William joked that he had smartened up for the occasion :D

Kate showcases her Garden to one and all!!

Love how Sophie Wessex is game enough to climb into the treehouse in a dress and wedges - she looked like she was really enjoying it.

Kate looks so happy and William looks so proud - well done to her!!

ETA: Just saw a small clip from yesterday when the youngsters were there and William asked George to give the garden a mark out of 10 with 10 being the highest and George gave it 20 :D

Last edited:

mag

Can I just say how much I love Sophie? She is always elegant, smiling, and working hard no matter what the event. I hope that she and Meghan get to know each other. Sophie is a great role model for someone in Meghan position, and I feel like Sophie would be a really stellar mentor to help Meghan learn the ropes of how to forge your own place in The Firm.

Parsley Sage

The Queen is wearing the outfit she wore to Meghan and Harry's wedding. Kate is wearing the dress the Duchess of Kent wore to Meghan and Harry's wedding.

canbelto

I completely disagree that Harry is more closed off in public about his feelings. Have you seen Harry on walkabouts and during Invictus Games events? He engages with people in a very gregarious way. I find William engaging, and he has a dry sense of humor, but there's also a reserve and a holding back, which is in keeping not only with William's personality, but also with the role he will one day inherit. Harry is much more personable and outgoing than William, IMO.

OTOH, both William and Harry are reserved and closed off toward most of the media! They are both determined to preserve and protect their families' privacy. This is part of the reason that royal journalists have recently been so upset with Harry. When he was single, he hung out on tour a lot with the accompanying media entourage. Now that Harry is married, he is understandably less open and accessible, especially due to the way his wife has been OTT criticized, scrutinized and unfairly characterized from the very beginning of their relationship.

Hmm. I see it differently. Extroverted people can actually be very emotionally closed off. I've seen William speak publicly about a lot of pain he's gone through in his life in a very specific, deep way. Harry is more extroverted but actually more distant. I noticed that in the documentary William and Harry did about Diana -- Harry talked more about the external events, William more about the pain of seeing his parents' marriage fall apart and losing his mother.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hmm. I see it differently. Extroverted people can actually be very emotionally closed off. I've seen William speak publicly about a lot of pain he's gone through in his life in a very specific, deep way. Harry is more extroverted but actually more distant. I noticed that in the documentary William and Harry did about Diana -- Harry talked more about the external events, William more about the pain of seeing his parents' marriage fall apart and losing his mother.

Yep to each their own perceptions. I'm sticking with their own mother's reported views of her sons' differing personalities. Harry has in recent years talked very emotionally about feeling a void that could never be filled when he lost his mother. That's what makes his current joy so palpable, and it's why so many people are happy for Harry and Meghan.

Both William and Harry have opened up in differing ways about the loss of their mother, particularly when they were working on the 2017 documentary in honor of Diana, as part of recognizing the 20th anniversary of her death. Obviously, being outgoing doesn't mean a person isn't harboring deep-seated emotions they are closed off from. Harry has in recent years described how he shut down his troubled emotions of grief as a teenager, because he thought he had to. William surely did much the same, but they both coped in different ways. Only in recent years were they able to talk more with each other and open up publicly about the experience of losing their mother. And that in part led to them and Kate creating the Heads Together mental health campaign.

Closing off one's emotions as a result of grievous loss doesn't change the fact that Harry's personality is much more gregarious than William's.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Can I just say how much I love Sophie? She is always elegant, smiling, and working hard no matter what the event. I hope that she and Meghan get to know each other. Sophie is a great role model for someone in Meghan position, and I feel like Sophie would be a really stellar mentor to help Meghan learn the ropes of how to forge your own place in The Firm.

Meghan obviously gets along well with QE-II and Prince Philip, so the Queen has surely played an important role in offering her advice and support. And Meghan seems to interact quite well with Sophie, as we saw during Royal Ascot last June when they were seen talking happily together during the carriage ride, while Harry chatted with Edward. Meghan has also clearly bonded closely with Camilla and Charles. The Sussexes spent time with Charles and Camilla at the Castle of Mey, in Scotland last August (the former Scottish retreat of the Queen Mother).
https://www.marieclaire.com/celebri...rkle-prince-charles-duchess-camilla-Scotland/
Early during Harry/Meghan's courtship days in 2016 and in 2017, it was reported that they spent vacation time with Charles & Camilla at Charles' Birkhall estate, also in Scotland. I think it's obvious that Harry and Meghan both get along well with Princess Anne, and with Princess Eugenie and her husband, in addition to spending time with members of the Spencer family. Camilla's first public words after the engagement of Meghan and Harry were: "America's loss is our gain." :)

However, none of us will ever know any of the private details regarding the relationships between members of the royal family, and how they interact with each other behind-the-scenes. Still, it's clearly evident that Meghan is a fully accepted member of the firm and more importantly, a beloved royal family member, eh.

Meghan began learning all about members of the royal family and royal protocol while she was dating Prince Harry. As they told us during their engagement interview, they learned about each other's backgrounds through talking with each other. And it's well known that Harry's staff was made available to Meghan during their courtship. Harry's mentor, Mark Dyer, and Dyer's Texan wife, also took Meghan under their wing during the courtship.

Meghan is apparently doing just fine. She's very bright, accomplished, capable, and she knows her own mind, which is essential. She's not a push-over, nor an ingenue. Meghan was a very successful actor and a wealthy entrepreneur and humanitarian who moved in VIP, high society circles before she ever met Harry. In fact, that's one of the key factors in how they happened to meet.

mag

Meghan is apparently doing just fine. She's very bright, accomplished, capable, and she knows her own mind, which is essential. She's not a push-over, nor an ingenue. Meghan was a very successful actor and a wealthy entrepreneur and humanitarian who moved in VIP, high society circles before she ever met Harry. In fact, that's one of the key factors in how they happened to meet.

Just wow to your whole post. Defensive much? But to this part in particular, you have no idea how Meghan is doing, furthermore neither do any of us. I was merely suggesting that Sophie, who is in the exact position Meghan is in, just a generation earlier, who is only 16 years older, who also had a career prior to marriage, who also had her children in her late thirties, and who, most importantly has overcome some obstacles to become a valuable part of the royal firm and a close friend of the Queen (no, Meghan is not close to the Queen. She may well be in the future, but she has been in the family a year and has probably seen the Queen less than a dozen times. No one is close that quickly.) Could be a great help to Meghan who is still navigating in unknown waters.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Just wow to your whole post. Defensive much? But to this part in particular, you have no idea how Meghan is doing, furthermore neither do any of us. I was merely suggesting that Sophie, who is in the exact position Meghan is in, just a generation earlier, who is only 16 years older, who also had a career prior to marriage, who also had her children in her late thirties, and who, most importantly has overcome some obstacles to become a valuable part of the royal firm and a close friend of the Queen (no, Meghan is not close to the Queen. She may well be in the future, but she has been in the family a year and has probably seen the Queen less than a dozen times. No one is close that quickly.) Could be a great help to Meghan who is still navigating in unknown waters.

Eh, you can read my comments as defensive. It's my conversational and informative take. Just as you give your takes, which sometimes I agree with and sometimes I don't. I base my opinions upon factual resources. It is kinda funny how you are claiming that "Meghan is not close to the Queen." Those are your words. What I said in my previous post is: "Meghan obviously gets along well with QE-II and Prince Philip." I didn't say Meghan and QE-II are "close." In any case, it's curious what you are trying to imply by overemphasizing otherwise. OTOH, there have been reports about the close bond that has developed between Prince Charles and Meghan, which was clearly on display during the Commonwealth church service earlier this year. Articles have been written regarding how Charles is teaching Meghan about the Royal Art Collection and the history of the monarchy.

The royal reporter Omid Scobie who has insider Sussex sources recently quoted one of them as saying during the final days of her pregnancy, "Meghan is calm and doing fine. She's got this." Since Archie's birth, Omid has reported that Meghan and Harry have been spending quiet time with their son and with Meghan's Mom Doria, during this particularly special time for them. I don't see any reason to become overwrought no matter your views of Meghan. Once again though, we can all see what is obvious and form our variant opinions, while detailed interactions behind-the-scenes are private and beyond our ability to know anything about. :)

ETA:
It's interesting that you think Meghan is "navigating in unknown waters." I'd say by this point, the Duchess of Sussex knows a heck of a lot more than we ever will about the inner-workings of the royal family. In addition, if QE-II didn't think highly of Meghan, she would never have had Meghan accompany her on the rare overnight train trip to Cheshire a few weeks after the royal wedding last May. Nor would the Queen have allowed Meghan to join Harry and the royal family for Christmas at Sandringham in 2017, when Meghan was engaged but not yet married to Harry. Nor would the Queen have handed over prestigious patronages to the Duchess of Sussex, and appointed her Vice-President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust.

Last edited:

canbelto

Wow, you need a life.

But the reason people say that Sophie would be a good role model is that when Sophie first became a "Wessex" she faced the same criticisms. She was a "working woman" (back then that was a bad thing), she and Edward lived together before marriage, she was in her 30's and not this fresh dewy virgin that back then people expected. When she had her kids she was in her late 30's/early 40's. She had difficult pregnancies and there was the usual nasty gossip.

But more importantly, Sophie since her marriage has divided her time between royal duties and her own interests and charities, and strikes a good balance between being a normal person and a royal. The aristocratic English life can be VERY hard for anyone not to the manor born to deal with -- all those titles, all this protocol, and some rather arcane interests (fox hunting? polo?). Everyone who wasn't born to that kind of life has to strike a balance between how much of that lifestyle you really want and how much is duty. Sophie's her own person while still managing her royal duties.

I like Kate a lot but I do think that she's an example of someone who decided she was going to be 100% royal down to adopting a rather posh, old-fashioned aristocratic accent. But that's the position she married into. Meghan isn't in that position and doesn't have to do all the things Kate does.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I thought Kate looked great in her culottes & blouse at the garden, the dress not so much. The print was ok but the trim made it look like a dress for a little girl.

mag

I like Kate a lot but I do think that she's an example of someone who decided she was going to be 100% royal down to adopting a rather posh, old-fashioned aristocratic accent. But that's the position she married into. Meghan isn't in that position and doesn't have to do all the things Kate does.

I also think Kate is one of the few non aristocratic people who was totally born for this life. Yes, she has worked hard to make a life for herself and her family that fits with her core values, but she also seems like the perfect partner for William and what lies ahead for him. They are and will continue to lead a quite different life than Edward and Sophie or Harry and Meghan. That is just the way it works with the line of succession. I think one advantage Kate has over many of the women of the past who married into the royal family is that she is both intelligent and well educated. She is approaching her patronages in quite a different way than was done in the past. Being more hands on, more involved, less just showing up and “visiting.”

Kate also has the huge advantage of actually coming from and living with a truly functional and loving family. I think both Charles and Diana wanted that kind of family and wanted their children to experience that, but neither had any experience to draw on and, quite frankly, I don’t think either were the kind of people who could read about it, consider sources (both are rather drawn to woo rather than fact) and then work together to build what they wanted. That is my one concern with Harry and Meghan. Yes, Meghan is much older than Diana was, but the quick courtship, all the “love story” headlines, marriage, and baby and the troubled family life means they are going to have to work much harder to build the life they both seem to want. Meghan’s mom seems down to earth and involved so that is definitely a step in the right direction. It takes so much more than love to make a family work no matter how Hollywood tries to convince us otherwise.

That is why I think Sophie could be a great help. Learning to be in chorus, which is where Harry and Meghan will end up, can also be very difficult when you are used to being the star. It is just a lot of change and a lot of pressure all happening so quickly. There is so much that both Harry and Meghan can accomplish, but doing it within the restrictions of royal life is going to take some practice.

loopey

I thought Kate looked great in her culottes & blouse at the garden, the dress not so much. The print was ok but the trim made it look like a dress for a little girl.
ITA. I didn't care for the trim of the dress either, and I didn't like the dress at all. It seemed matronly, like someone the queens age would wear. And I didn't like the shoes either. But I have never seen any bad press on what she wears. I always read complimentary comments even when the dresses are matronly.

Regarding the wedding this weekend: I did not like Pippa's dress either. And Lady Amelia Windsor's dress, was just horrid, IMO. The press seemed to love both and I have no idea why. Lady Amelia's dress reminds me a lot of the blue monstrosity Meghan wore to a wedding last year in that it's busy, ill fitted, and loud. JMO.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/d...hat_wear_581/06496cbb7b3ac8ee974e67853e2ccf1e

Japanfan

ITA. I didn't care for the trim of the dress either, and I didn't like the dress at all. It seemed matronly, like someone the queens age would wear. And I didn't like the shoes either. But I have never seen any bad press on what she wears. I always read complimentary comments even when the dresses are matronly.

I think the dress and shoes are a bit hippie-dippy, but I like them.

And Kate could rock a potato sack, IMO.

Lorac

ETA:
It's interesting that you think Meghan is "navigating in unknown waters." I'd say by this point, the Duchess of Sussex knows a heck of a lot more than we ever will about the inner-workings of the royal family. In addition, if QE-II didn't think highly of Meghan, she would never have had Meghan accompany her on the rare overnight train trip to Cheshire a few weeks after the royal wedding last May. Nor would the Queen have allowed Meghan to join Harry and the royal family for Christmas at Sandringham in 2017, when Meghan was engaged but not yet married to Harry. Nor would the Queen have handed over prestigious patronages to the Duchess of Sussex, and appointed her Vice-President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust.

You state that QEII must think highly of Meghan to accompany her on a rare overnight train trip but as some royal insiders have suggested it gave the Queen an excellent opportunity to verse Meghan in royal protocol as well as give her a chance to get to know her and determine how best to move forwards with royal patronages. Whether she thought highly of Meghan is neither here nor there - the Queen saw an opportunity to get Meghan alone and away from Harry to talk and get to know her character - a pretty shrewd move by her Majesty IMO.

As to allowing her to stay over Christmas - well maybe QEII though she had no other choice but to invite her as Meghan wasn't going home to her Mom to spend her last Christmas as a single woman with her family - as Kate did. Meghan chose to stay in the UK and Harry must have felt he needed to ask permission to bring her to Sandringham or not spend Christmas there himself. Good manners probably came to the fore here regardless of whether QEII was happy or not - she has the best poker face so we will never know.

And as to Meghan being give 'prestigious' patronages by the Queen - well all the Queens patronages are prestigious and she has been slowly but surely handing them over to the younger members of the royal family as well as her heir and his wife and his heir and his heirs wife. Meghan is not alone in that honour.

None of the above shows either way as to whether the Queen thinks highly of Meghan but does indicate that she sees her as a junior member of the royal family who can be utilised to move the royal family forwards into the 21st century along with supporting those who are closer to the Queen and the line of succession.

puglover

Obviously the royal family is a family and relationships within all families are complex. From what I know, I do admire the way they have accepted Camilla and found a place for her. Divorce is more and more common and second marriages and step parents can be tricky. Diana's premature death has made their situation both more and less difficult. They seem to have set a good example of loving Diana but accepting Camilla as their father's choice and wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information