Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Comments like yours are similar to victim blaming.

^^ Eh, 'victim blaming' was nowhere near my intention in specifically addressing Duchess Meghan's circumstances. :drama: All of a sudden, this thread becomes about women having fertility issues, after Meghan and Harry have announced that she's several months pregnant. :duh: Clearly, Meghan did not have a problem conceiving, so it's important not to generalize. Obviously age is a factor for many women, but at the end of the day, what each woman goes through is their own unique experience.

I've read that Meghan was anxious about Harry stopping smoking before their marriage for obvious health reasons, and because smoking can be an adverse factor in sperm production. Since having children has always been important down through the ages for the royals, I tend to think that both Meghan and Harry would have had their overall health and their reproductive health checked well in advance of their marriage. There's no way I know that for certain, and KP is certainly not going to get into such private details. It's the Sussexes' own personal business, regardless of endless speculation surrounding every aspect of their relationship. Good for you that you're apparently an expert on reproductive health. I'm not.

Wow, this is dismissive of the very real and varied ways perfectly healthy women can struggle with infertility. Gee, when it took me two years to conceive at the age of 37/38 I guess I should have just told my mom to be more supportive.

My specific positive comments in response to another poster were directed at Duchess Meghan and her particular situation, and not intended to demean anyone else's situation. We were specifically discussing Meghan and the fact that she is in her late thirties. I think it's dismissive to suggest that Duchess Meghan automatically would face difficulties simply due to her age. I outlined some of the points in her favor, which surely don't necessarily mean she's bound to have a successful pregnancy. But those factors, especially her ability to receive the best medical care, are advantages in her favor, IMO (which does not make me an expert). I believe that both the Duchess and Prince Harry were monitored for overall physical health and robust fertility prior to them trying to conceive, but obviously that hasn't been and doesn't need to be confirmed. It's their business. I wish the Duke and Duchess of Sussex all the best at this happy time in their lives.

Of course many women will have fertility issues, often at any age. There are some woman who have complications even bringing a baby to term and thus experience miscarriages. I knew someone who had to undergo monitored bed rest throughout her pregnancy in order to avoid miscarriage. And she was eventually successful in delivering a healthy baby after several grievous losses. When one of my sisters was in her early twenties, she had difficulty conceiving largely because her husband was in the military, and the periods of time he was away from her on deployment in other locales complicated their ability to conceive. Even when he was home for long periods of time, they still had trouble conceiving. She didn't become pregnant until at least four years after their marriage.

So it's best not to generalize regarding a woman's age necessarily being indicative of her ability to conceive. That's why I mentioned Janet Jackson amazingly giving birth at the age of 50. Obviously, age is an important factor for many women, and it does help to have supportive family members no matter what your experiences have been. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties, and I'm glad for you and your family that you were eventually able to conceive after the difficulties you experienced. Women today do have many more options when they encounter difficulty conceiving. I believe the use of birth control for many years has been a factor for some women in complicating their ability to conceive in later years, but I don't know the statistics. Pregnancy is a uniquely individual experience.

Of course it is a heartbreaking occurrence for any couple when they try for a baby and encounter numerous difficulties. Again, I had linked earlier in this thread an article describing the serious brain illness Emma, Viscountess Weymouth suffered during her first pregnancy which was life-threatening. In order to have a second child, she and her husband were successful in contracting with a surrogate in California because of the more progressive and advanced laws regarding surrogacy in that state as opposed to Great Britain. The Weymouths' experience is well worth reading about.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Why are you just repeating what I said? Rephrasing doesn't give new information.

I indicated, different from what you stated, that all of Harry's children will be entitled to be styled as Prince/Princess when Prince Charles becomes King (unless a different decision is made prior to that point in time). Currently, unless LP are issued prior to the birth of M&H's first child stating otherwise, upon birth the child will be styled as Lord/Lady.

This is what you said:
If the Queen choses not to style H&M's baby with the title of Prince/Princess & they have other baby(s) after Charles becomes King the subsequent baby(s) would be entitled to that title which would not be cool IMO. So I imagine H&M would refuse Prince/Princess for all their children...

Others have also pointed out the inaccuracy of your above comments.

Skittl1321

I think speculation on how Meghan got pregnant is ridiculous. I'm 5 months younger than her and pregnant. It took 2 months. I take the 2nd half of a birth control pack after ovulating though, so that's "reproductive assistance".

She may have had reproductive assistance, she may not have. Statistically women her/my age have more difficulty getting pregnant than younger women. But statistics mean nothing to an individual. She might personally be a super fertile individual who threw out her birth control and became pregnant 2 days later. Or she may have gone to extreme measures early. We don't know. Nor should we.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think speculation on how Meghan got pregnant is ridiculous.

I don't see any specific speculation on how Duchess Meghan got pregnant. There's been no discussion of Duchess Meghan receiving reproductive assistance for this pregnancy. :duh: The conversation strangely turned to 'fertility issues' apparently due to some posters reading into my comment that Meghan has many advantages in her favor regarding pregnancy. Since she's already pregnant, I'm not sure why it was brought up by other posters that some women who are older have difficulty conceiving. That's a given, but it's also a very individual experience for every woman. I responded to the obvious misreading of my favorable comments surrounding Meghan's health, maternal support and advantageous medical care as a member of the royal family.

I have also discussed my belief that M&H's overall physical and reproductive health has been monitored, but that is not speculation on how they actually conceived. :p There have been published reports that Harry quit drinking and smoking, as well as changing his diet and working out in the lead-up to their marriage. Again, that does not tell us anything in particular about how they conceived. All of these details are clearly their own personal business, which they will be continuing to guard for sure. It will be enough I think to catch glimpses of them on public occasions, to wish them well, and to celebrate with them when their first child is born. :)

But yeah, there's over-persnicketyness in some quarters all over the Internet when anything positive is mentioned about the Duchess of Sussex. :rolleyes: It does become tiresome, but in this case it was perhaps an honest misreading because of emotional sensitivity surrounding issues of fertility. Is it possible though to just be happy for the Duke & Duchess of Sussex without reading into everything an admirer happens to say. :drama:

Last edited:

mag

The conversation strangely turned to 'fertility issues' apparently due to some posters reading into my comment that Meghan has many advantages in her favor regarding pregnancy.

It was brought up because your statement about advantages was both false and insensitive. Instead of always assuming that other people are reading your posts incorrectly, you might want to consider that your post was read correctly and the it is you who is both wrong and insensitive. The usual response when that happens is to simply apologize for your insensitivity and make an effort to stop making sweeping statements about subjects that you appear to know very little about.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It was brought up because your statement about advantages was both false and insensitive. Instead of always assuming that other people are reading your posts incorrectly, you might want to consider that your post was read correctly and the it is you who is both wrong and insensitive. The usual response when that happens is to simply apologize for your insensitivity and make an effort to stop making sweeping statements about subjects that you appear to know very little about.

And the same to you my dear. :)

BTW, Meghan's lovely outfit includes a gray blazer from her friend, Serena Williams' fashion line and Outland Denim jeans, an Australian brand that benefits women who were victims of sex trafficking in Cambodia. M&H are both looking lovely, relaxed and at ease on their trip to Dubbo, in New South Wales:
http://meghansmirror.com/royal-style/royal-tours/royal-tour-australia/meghan-harry-visit-dubbo/

kittyjake5

I was reading the Metro this morning on the train heading into work and came across this article and immediately
thought of this thread and Meghan's pregnancy. I am sure most folks are aware of the facts in the
article but what was interesting to me was there was no mention of yoga, exercise or family genes.

https://www.metro.us/body-and-mind/health/fertility-doctor-start-a-family

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was reading the Metro this morning on the train heading into work and came across this article and immediately
thought of this thread and Meghan's pregnancy...

https://www.metro.us/body-and-mind/health/fertility-doctor-start-a-family

Wow, such great news in this article for women worried about having to delay pregnancy into their thirties, and who can afford the assistance of a fertility doctor. :)

I am sure most folks are aware of the facts in the
article but what was interesting to me was there was no mention of yoga, exercise or family genes.

And thank the Lord there's no mention of Duchess Meghan either. Whew! :p

Certainly genes have some relevance in reproduction if not specifically in the ability to conceive, but that's beyond my ken, as has been established. ;) Of course, my reference to Meghan's mother's support earlier had nothing to do with genes, but what the hey. These threads become like a whisper game with so many twists and turns to eventual archive oblivion. :D

Meanwhile, back to Meghan & Harry lovefest... and this is a sweet tearjerker. Prince Harry was reunited with 98-year-old war widow Daphne Dunn on the first day of their tour. And he got the chance to introduce Meghan to his elderly friend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_06mbyfKY There's a brief glimpse with Dunn in this report, and Meghan promises to bring "our little one" back to see Dunn on their next visit

Check-out 1:45 to 2:12 in this three minute plus video where we get to see Dunn and Harry hugging, and Meghan being introduced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9yI4OOR1I

puglover

I am just loving this younger generation of royals, all of them! My mother's family immigrated to Canada when she was a child and our ties to England and the monarchy have always been strong. We have listened to the Queen's Christmas message every year for my entire life. All the best to Meghan and Harry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information