Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
A brand new thread and it only takes six posts before you're racing in here to further fuel the Wales vs Sussex :argue:

None of us were there, so unless there is a recording of some kind and we know more about what led up to this, then I suggest we all give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's a bratty child who runs around threatening to have his schoolmates heads chopped off, who knows. Or maybe the other kid was taunting him, perhaps repeatedly, until he felt the need to say something he thought would shut the other kid up. I can imagine that whatever school he's in is full of children whose parents are titled, famous, rich, and/or highly accomplished, which could lead to a lot of oneupmanship in the schoolyard.

Also, maybe it's nothing, but he's also likely going to be king eventually, so why didn't he say that? This suggests that the tussle might have been centred on whose father is better/stronger/smarter/cooler/more handsome/could beat the other one up, and if that's the case, why not play your ace?
My post had nothing to with the Wales vs Sussex :argue:. whether racing or not. If you had bothered to read the posts above yours you would have seen Sylvia's about reading a bunch of articles about the same thing. I saw it from 2 sources & both acted like it was cute. I personally thought 9 was old enough not to engage on "my dad is bigger/stronger/richer/etc than your dad" but I guess not.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
My post had nothing to with the Wales vs Sussex :argue:. whether racing or not. If you had bothered to read the posts above yours you would have seen Sylvia's about reading a bunch of articles about the same thing. I saw it from 2 sources & both acted like it was cute. I personally thought 9 was old enough not to engage on "my dad is bigger/stronger/richer/etc than your dad" but I guess not.
9 years old is 4th grade - that's exactly the age I'd expect that sort of oneupsmanship to be happening. And, really, there's just so much context lacking in the reports that it's hardly our place to judge whether it was cute or bratty (same goes for the tabloids that reported it).

taf2002

9 years old is 4th grade - that's exactly the age I'd expect that sort of oneupsmanship to be happening. And, really, there's just so much context lacking in the reports that it's hardly our place to judge whether it was cute or bratty (same goes for the tabloids that reported it).
I don't have kids, but just judged by my little brothers. But that's been a long time ago that they were small, so OK, I prob don't know what I'm talking about.

Jenny

From the Bloc
If you had bothered to read the posts above yours you would have seen Sylvia's about reading a bunch of articles about the same thing.

Your post was #6 in this new thread, which started with talking about other royal houses and an online quiz. Sylvia's first post in this thread was #24. But whatever, have a nice weekend.

He looks sad.😥

It's not the most flattering profile, but one assumes he approved it. Maybe he wanted to look serious?

Parsley Sage

Just rummaged through some of the coins in my wallet and The Queen has what I would say is a neutral expression. I think the Royal Canadian Mint does it's own artwork for the coins though.

During the early coverage of The Queen's passing, it was mentioned that Charles had already posed for the image needed for either the money or the stamps in the UK.

MLIS

I have an eight-almost-nine year old in grade 4, and that is exactly the kind of thing that kids in her class would say. I don’t think it’s cute, but I don’t think on its own it’s a sign of a bully or anything like that. And everything I have read about William and Kate as parents indicates to me that if they hear that he said it once, he won’t be saying it again.

taf2002

It is a nice photo but my feed made a big deal about all the PDA. I had to look twice to see to what they referred. Kate's arm is behind William so she may have her hand touching his back. /clutches pearls And Charles & Camilla are actually side by side touching. It's stupid what the tabloids will make a big deal of. I obviously need to find another news site. :lol:

Karen-W

Just out of curiosity, why does it take so long? I understand planning would be necessary, but seven months?
Most British coronations have taken place more than a year after the accession of the new monarch - in part because of the time it takes to plan, but, also because they seem to prefer to have the coronation during the late spring or summer - probably to increase the chances of good weather versus rain. Of course, it rained and rained the day of QEII's coronation, which was June 2, 1953, lol.

D

Deleted member 221

Earlier than planned - the original rumor was June 3rd.

I wonder if we'll get an extra bank holiday, or if they'll move the early May bank holiday?

Rumor seems to be that there WON'T be an extra bank holiday for the coronation. The government "can't afford it" :rolleyes: and is "worried about the impact on the economy" :rolleyes:.

Given the situation in the country, I sure hope the (taxpayer-funded) coronation is also done on a budget. So far, King Charles seems to be talking the talk; hopefully he also walks the walk.

ballettmaus

Given the situation in the country, I sure hope the (taxpayer-funded) coronation is also done on a budget. So far, King Charles seems to be talking the talk; hopefully he also walks the walk.
So far, "sources" are saying that the plan is to have only 2,000 guests in attendance (compared to 8,000 who attended Queen Elizabeth's) and that it'll be a much shorter affair (Queen Elizabeth's was 3 hours, the plan seems to be to cut it down to one). https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/10/king-charles-smaller-coronation-still-be-a-spectacle

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Would this lesser number of invitees mean many less members of nobility will be invited/participate?

skatfan

So far, "sources" are saying that the plan is to have only 2,000 guests in attendance (compared to 8,000 who attended Queen Elizabeth's) and that it'll be a much shorter affair (Queen Elizabeth's was 3 hours, the plan seems to be to cut it down to one). https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/10/king-charles-smaller-coronation-still-be-a-spectacle
That will be interesting. Will all the royals and nobles wear crowns like they did for Elizabeth? It looked so strange.

Karen-W

Would this lesser number of invitees mean many less members of nobility will be invited/participate?
Many less hereditary peers and MPs seems to be the plan. It would make sense for just the royal peers (the Prince of Wales, Duke of Sussex, Duke of York, Earl of Wessex, Duke of Gloucester, and Duke of Kent) and then the senior-most hereditary peer of each rank (Dukes, Marquesses, Earls, Viscounts, and Barons) present to swear their fealty to the king on behalf of the rest of the peers of the realm. Plus their spouses, of course.

Personally, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping we get coronation robes on the peers and their wives decked out in their finery with tiaras and jewels.

jadingirl

My husband and I are talking of going to London for the Coronation. We have been before and stayed near Blackfriars and again near Waterloo. IF anyone has any advice on a hotel that would be on or near the coronation route - it will be at Westminster Abbey won't it? Not too worried about room prices as we haven't travelled in 2 years!

smurfy

Being a fan of The Nanny, I want to see Charles Shaughnessy, a/k/a 5th Baron Shaughnessy there. LOL
Every now and then I watch General Hospital - he is on - as Victor Cassadine - a bad guy. But he is so charming and has aged well.
And in the GH PrimerForum - he is referred to as Mr. Sheffield Donovan or variations.

Karen-W

That sapphire set is :swoon:
Not gonna lie, I think the way Camilla wore the sapphire parure is much better than the way QEII wore it. She switched out the earrings - smaller & oval vs. gigantic teardrops; and she removed the big pendant drop from the necklace. It doesn't overwhelm her the way they did on QEII.

And, Kate? Stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information