Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

@starrynight I think the key to pantyhose is to find high quality pairs. Poorly made hose cause my skin to break out in hives. A good pair keeps my legs warm if I want to wear skirts in the cooler winter months.

I do however think that wearing pantyhose with sneakers and running pants is too much.

mag

I don't even wear socks with running shoes.

It depends on the shoes for me. My trail runners need socks to be comfortable. My Nikes I just kick around in, don’t. As for pantyhose under pants, could be a warmth thing, could prevent blisters. I figure go with what is comfortable for you.

starrynight

I'm sure the royal family isn't lacking in the money to buy the best pantyhose and tights that fit perfectly.

I think the key to pantyhose is to find high quality pairs. Poorly made hose cause my skin to break out in hives.

Yes - the pantyhose made out of awful fabric can feel bad. I think that's why I usually invest in several slightly thicker pairs that last longer rather than getting a bunch of the cheaper really sheer ones.

But I've always really liked pantyhose. They make your legs look great (instant tan if you want) and I've always hated the feeling of putting bare feet straight into closed in shoes (I always have to wear a sock or a panty hose or something). If you are getting dressed up in a formal or dressy business style they do really add a layer of polish to the outfit.

As for Charlotte, I think the tights would have their benefit because:

lol I think she was a split second away from flashing everyone there :lol:

Everyone was at that wedding in heavy coats and Meghans' dress looked really heavy and hot, so not sure if the tights were that big a deal. Prince George was wearing a jacket and long pants.

Last edited:

mag

Everyone was at that wedding in heavy coats and Meghans' dress looked really heavy and hot, so not sure if the tights were that big a deal. Prince George was wearing a jacket and long pants.

I have found old churches to be very cold. I am pretty sure it wouldn’t have been too hot for tights.

canbelto

I'm not really buying the fact that this spat over Charlotte's tights is what went down though. That seems like typical bridal jitters stuff. It's more likely the two women just didn't get on for whatever reason.

canbelto

Okay, I have looked and looked and I can't find a quote about pantyhose anywhere.

‘Then there was an incident at the wedding rehearsal,’ another friend of the Cambridges’ claims. ‘It was a hot day and apparently there was a row over whether the bridesmaids should wear tights or not. Kate, following protocol, felt that they should. Meghan didn’t want them to.’ The photographs suggest that Meghan won. Kate, who has impeccable manners, sought the opportunity to put Meghan in her place, reprimanding her for speaking imperiously to her Kensington Palace staff.

mag

So was the row over whether or not they wear tights to the rehearsal or the wedding? And if it was between Meghan and Kate, what did that have to do with Kensington Palace staff? Furthermore, every woman at the wedding was probably wearing tights, not to mention many had long sleeves. This came out in an article about Meghan and it seemed ridiculous then and it seems ridiculous now. The boys were in pants and long sleeves, yet we are suppose to believe Meghan thought the girls would be too warm in sheer tights and short sleeves, okay then :lol:

canbelto

So was the row over whether or not they wear tights to the rehearsal or the wedding? And if it was between Meghan and Kate, what did that have to do with Kensington Palace staff? Furthermore, every woman at the wedding was probably wearing tights, not to mention many had long sleeves. This came out in an article about Meghan and it seemed ridiculous then and it seems ridiculous now. The boys were in pants and long sleeves, yet we are suppose to believe Meghan thought the girls would be too warm in sheer tights and short sleeves, okay then :lol:

I feel like this is a sort of urban legend that keeps getting spread from one article to the next. I don't doubt there was probably some stress around the big wedding (there always is in any wedding) but for Kate and Meghan to row furiously and hate each other forever after over this? Doesn't seem believable.

mag

So here is a photo of George and Charlotte at the wedding. Given how George is dressed, I don’t think it is reasonable to assume there was concern that the flower girls might get too hot.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
So here is a photo of George and Charlotte at the wedding. Given how George is dressed, I don’t think it is reasonable to assume there was concern that the flower girls might get too hot.

Actually I thought at the time that the boys looked hot. But I agree this is a non-issue & probably isn't even close to the reason why they don't get along. I also reject the idea that Meghan was petulant about taking a lesser role. Before she married she'd have to be brain-dead if she expected to have the same role as the future Queen. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason is because she was resented by W&K for breaking up the threesome that was working so well. I think anyone Harry married unless she was W&K approved would have been given the cold shoulder. Or if not the cold shoulder, at least they may have been stand-offish, especially Will. I doubt if that would have gone over well with Harry.

Lorac

An interesting summary of what Kate has been out through by the press over the years.

This really shows how Kate was stalked, harrassed and treated abysmally by the press and media. How she kept her calm is beyond me. Some of the footage reminds me of that Diana went through. So many people new to royal watching in the past 2 to 3 years really have no idea what Kate had to deal with during her 20's.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ If it was too much for Kate, she could have moved on. I suppose she and her mom held on and kept their cool throughout the 'uncertain' ordeal for a reason. And still, what Kate endured over the years of waiting for Will to pop the question, is nothing compared to the relentless 24/7 dragging in the tabloids Meghan faced before and after marrying Harry, especially when she was pregnant. Not to mention the death threats; the disgusting BBC caricature; the vile online Megxit trolls; the Markle family being tempted by the media to cash in; the harassment by the tabloids of everyone with some close or former connection to Meghan; and Archie being compared to a chimpanzee, etc, etc. As well, the ongoing, constant blaming of the Sussexes for everything and anything. Some Sussex haters have even had the gall to try and blame the Tatler fiasco on Meghan. :rolleyes: :blah:

All these subsequent articles, like the Vanity Fair piece and a DF spin story by Richard Kay, et al, are attempts to bury and reframe the supposedly 'embiggening of Kate' Tatler article that landed 'like a thud.' The editor-in-chief of Tatler, Richard Dennen (who is or was a friendly acquaintance of Kate's from college), pushed back after KP tried to distance themselves from the article. Apparently, Dennen has receipts. He has also previously bragged on Instagram that his mother once had lunch with Kate, and he's known to have gone on a couple of ski holidays with Kate back-in-the-day. Most likely, Kate and KP were aware of the article, thought it would be a fluff piece and gave permission for so-called 'friends' to speak. Still, it's rather murky as to why the article threw shade at Kate's family and was so OTT in some of the phrasing about Kate, as if mocking her.

And then of course, there's the ridiculous slams in the Tatler article against the Sussexes which are the same slams that have appeared all year in other tabloids like The Sun and the DF, about Kate being upset with M&H over her & Wills having 'extra workload,' etc, etc. The crazy slam that the Sussexes threw the Cambridge kids 'under the bus' is a new OTT idiotic take though! :eek: Since M&H took their major patronages with them, and no one is doing any royal tours at the moment, I'm not sure where the 'extra workload' is coming in. It's a false claim, especially in light of M&H being told to 'dim their light,' and to 'move far away,' when they were working hard and successfully within the royal family fold.

The crap about M&K in the lead-up to the royal wedding is complete nonsense. How many times is it going to be re-spun? It was a leak in the first place from KP that somehow 'Meghan made Kate cry,' then that claim was officially denied. Later it was said that Kate was suffering from post-partum depression and Meghan had 'bride jitters' which is why there were tensions between them during a dress-fitting for the bridesmaids. The gossip about these supposed tensions has been all over the place and back again. The stuff about 'tights' is ridiculous. Plus, a busybody sister-in-law really needs to take a long step back and occupy several seats when it's not her wedding.

As I said previously, there's a lot going on behind-the-scenes than meets the eye. There always is. More than one book could be written about all the levels of what's going on and why. :COP: But the entire drama is just sooooo exhausting to dissect in short order! Oh but oops, there's that word again. :p Twitter sure has been having a field day with the #KateMiddletontopCEO and #CatherinetheGreat memes.

What goes missing for most mainstream observers is the fact that Tatler is a British publication for snobby aristos similar to the Turnip Toffs (the Norfolk aristo set who are neighbors of the Cambridges). It's being said that Kate was never fully accepted by some of those snobs, albeit she was more acceptable to that group than Meghan. The difference is that Meghan isn't British, and she was never trying to be accepted by snobby aristos. She married for love, and she's a self-made woman who's comfortable in her own skin and unbothered by foolish nonsense. The Sussexes are not interested in playing games with the British media or with snobby aristos. In any case, another obvious point is that no one managing the royal firm were concerned when Meghan was routinely slammed in Tatler, with old pictures of her on the magazine's cover, intended to ring up sales! In fact, when Richard Dennen was appointed as EIC of Tatler in early 2018, he reportedly said in casual conversation: "Tina Brown had Diana. I have Meghan Markle." :huh: Brown was EIC of Tatler before she moved on to Vanity Fair and later to The New Yorker.

It has been reported that W&K 'sent legal letters' to Tatler threatening to sue if they didn't take down the online article. Even if Dennen has receipts, he's probably going to back down, since he's reportedly removed all of his tweets from social media. Meanwhile, the magazine's hard copy has apparently already gone to press. Stay tuned. :watch: :coffee: Whatever happened to putting on a 'stiff-upper-lip,' while not complaining nor explaining? :unsure: This whole drama has definitely served a purpose in distracting from Andrew's woes and the recent Netflix documentary series on Epstein and his crimes.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyl...is-richard-dennen-meghan-markle-a3770171.html

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...e/news-story/369e93c70fd144fdda104e2f4cf4119e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1vD8D1K4ZA Fallout from Tatler article

Queen will pay off Andrew's ski chalet debt:

MsZem

I see the sea
The Queen went out for a ride:

Cute baby alert!

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
If you believe this article then I guess the charge that the Cambridges are copying the Sussexes might be true:

IMO it's more like W&K are coming into the 21st century, using the social media tools that are available, & less that they are copying anyone. Either way I've been enjoying the stories coming out of their SIP.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Daily Mail says the row was not about tights, but about Kate wanting to make Charlotte's dress a bit longer.

aftershocks

Banned Member
If you believe this article then I guess the charge that the Cambridges are copying the Sussexes might be true:

IMO it's more like W&K are coming into the 21st century, using the social media tools that are available, & less that they are copying anyone. Either way I've been enjoying the stories coming out of their SIP.

I don't need to read the article to know that W&K are emulating the Sussexes in their approaches to social media and in their approach to work projects. The fact that W&K hired David Watkins, the Sussexes former social media whiz kid, is only one factor that makes this emulation pretty obvious.

BTW, Harry is the one who years ago advocated for the royal firm to embrace the 21st-century by utilizing social media as a p.r./ communication tool. Harry is also the one who came up with the idea for the Royal Foundation (RF) to jumpstart a focus on mental health initiatives, once he realized how important seeking psychological counseling has been in his own life. William is credited by Harry with encouraging him to seek help for his struggles with grief, and Kate is credited with thinking of the name, Heads Together, but the idea and major efforts behind the RF's mental health focus is Harry's. That's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of Harry's down-to-earth practical ideas and passionate energy for humanitarian causes.

In Prince Harry, the royal firm has lost a huge asset and they know it. Sadly, they did not support Harry and his wife, and weirdly they apparently underestimated the strength of the love and bond the Sussexes have. The firm's opposition against the Sussexes fighting back against unfair media coverage, and the ongoing negative slants against Meghan, have only deepened and further strengthened the Sussexes' union.

Interesting commentary:

^^ I've always felt that the silly attempts by the royal firm in combo with RRs to pre-empt what they fear might be in the upcoming book on M&H, is highly unnecessary. Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand are not in the business of upending the status quo, nor burning any bridges. They both respectfully retweeted the news photo of the Queen on horseback today. The twittersphere reactions to their posts is fascinating (pros and cons).

Harry & Meghan have consistently shown they are not interested in throwing anyone in the royal family 'under the bus,' despite the mistreatment they have endured. The royals are Harry's relatives so I would imagine that his viewpoint is 'live and let live.' It's just sad that Harry & Meghan have to be so wary and on guard regarding all of the nastiness being aimed at them by many of the RRs and tabloids who are frankly aided and abetted by factions within the palaces (sadly, that includes royal family members who have been contradicting themselves by their words and actions).

canbelto

#kategate lives on! Crimes so great that no one can talk about them -- now with details of possible fight over tights?

mag

Daily Mail says the row was not about tights, but about Kate wanting to make Charlotte's dress a bit longer.

Given Charlotte’s habit of holding up the hem of her dress, that sounds like a smart idea. That said I doubt there would have been a row. I can’t imagine a bride arguing with the mother of a young flower girl about something like that. Especially considering Meghan barely knew Charlotte. If Kate said she is likely to flash the world, why would Meghan saying “no, you can make the dress an inch longer!”

This is just the same old same old playing women off against each other. I thought it had been established that the issue was between William and Harry?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Since M&H are still part of the royal family (as 'beloved members, in the words of the Queen), maybe down the road some of the palace staff and Cambridge vs Sussex tensions will blow over. It's quite true that the British monarchy has survived time and again vs tremendous odds. I have a feeling though that once the Queen passes, and Charles takes the throne, a number of Commonwealth countries may decide to say sayonara to the British empire.

Prince Harry was the ace-in-hole along with Meghan in moving forward with enthusiastic diplomacy and beneficial engagement with Commonwealth countries during their successful royal tours. Part of why Harry was given the honorary title of Commonwealth Youth Ambassador, was to focus on practical and p.r. engagement with the young people of the Commonwealth (young people who may become future political leaders). That title for Harry was taken away when he stepped down from senior royal duties, At the moment, there's no reason to believe the Sussexes will be going on anymore overseas tours on behalf of the monarchy. It's not unreasonable to conjecture though that at some future date, King Charles might call on his younger son's assistance in trying to hold the Commonwealth together as much as possible. But the future remains to be seen.

What a lot of people don't realize is that one of the reasons why Harry & Meghan are still President and VP respectively of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust (QCT) is because that organization was developed with Harry in mind. In fact, Harry assisted in its creation in 2016. I believe the Queen's former personal secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt, also had a hand in working on setting up the organization. After the palace coup in 2017, when Geidt was pushed out of his job on behalf of the Queen (by Charles' and by Andrew's staffers), Geidt transitioned to a more direct role with the administration of QCT. The Commonwealth Youth Ambassadorship title was honorary and not attached to Harry's role and involvement with QCT. However, the title was a kind of p.r. acknowledgement intended to further some of the aims of QCT.

The above may help in viewing the below breaking news video (specifically the last part which covers how QCT has made a statement about the protests in America against the George Floyd killing). Since Harry and Meghan helm QCT, I'm quite sure they are the dual forces behind having this statement come out. Certainly the Queen was made aware that a statement from QCT would be forthcoming, but she is not actively involved in the day-to-day decisionmaking of the organization.

As well in the below video, it is not news that the Endeavour Fund Awards was going to be merged with the Invictus Games. That was announced by Harry months ago. Thus the recent follow-up announcement about the EFA officially leaving the umbrella of the Royal Foundation is simply a formality. So, it's a bit OTT to say that Harry is "taking back his charities" from RF. Two intiatives remaining with the RF that were started by Harry and by M&H respectively, are HeadFit (in conjunction with the U.K. Department of Defense) and Shout! -- the crisis texting service modeled after a similar 'youth-at-risk' service in the U.S.

The other breaking news in the below video has to do with Richard Dennen and Tatler refusing to back down in the aftermath of receiving 'legal letters' of intention to sue from KP and the Cambridges. :lol: LOL at the recent post by Dennen on his Instagram featuring two little pug dogs in a baby carriage reading the #CatherinetheGreat issue of Tatler. So apparently Dennen's removal of a number of posts from his Instagram was not an indication that he and Tatler are backing down from KP's push-back challenge.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
If Kate said she is likely to flash the world, why would Meghan saying “no, you can make the dress an inch longer!”

The little bridesmaids' dresses at M&H's wedding were fairly long. I don't see how making them a few inches longer would have made that much difference. It seems more like meddling input and/ or stylistic differences. And like I said earlier, if it ain't your wedding, back off and sit down. Or, take your daughter out of the wedding party. :drama: Some people are noting on social media that Zara's little bridesmaids didn't wear tights at her wedding. :duh: So what, and who cares!? Looking at some of the pictures of Zara's bridesmaids, I don't think it's clear whether they were or were not wearing tights. One of the girls appears to have on sheer tights, and they are all wearing ballet slippers. My fave look of all these recent bridesmaids' attire was at Eugenie's wedding in October 2018. :glamor:

It seems to me that any tensions surrounding this purported brouhaha between M & K would have been as a result of how the preference was put to the bride in the first place. As well, Kate found it necessary to wear an outfit that was nearly white which some people have been re-litigating on social media. :p Much distracting ado about nothing if you ask me. If I were the bride (NOT at a royal wedding of course), I wouldn't care if a sister-in-law wore a light yellow, whitish-looking outfit unless I felt the intention was somehow gnarly and negative, which might or might not be the intention in this case. At the time of the royal wedding, the whiteness of Kate's outfit didn't bother me. Although I did notice that Kate seemed a bit snobby and standoffish toward the other mothers of bridesmaids (and friends of Meghan) when she exited the car with her brood of little bridesmaids. Kate hardly acknowledged the other mothers before climbing the steps of St. George's Chapel. But oh well, what else is new! :COP: In pictures, my gosh, it looks like Kate was hardly wearing tights herself to M&H's royal wedding. :rofl:

ballettmaus

And like I said earlier, if it ain't your wedding, back off and sit down. Or, take your daughter out of the wedding party. :drama:

Or maybe accept advice from a mother who knows what she's talking about. (But since the dresses were fairly long, who says that the length wasn't adjusted?)

Reactions: mag

canbelto

The little bridesmaids' dresses at M&H's wedding were fairly long. I don't see how making them a few inches longer would have made that much difference. It seems more like meddling input and/ or stylistic differences. And like I said earlier, if it ain't your wedding, back off and sit down. Or, take your daughter out of the wedding party. :drama: Some people are noting on social media that Zara's little bridesmaids didn't wear tights at her wedding. :duh: So what, and who cares!? Looking at some of the pictures of Zara's bridesmaids, I don't think it's clear whether they were or were not wearing tights. One of the girls appears to have on sheer tights, and they are all wearing ballet slippers. My fave look of all these recent bridesmaids' attire was at Eugenie's wedding in October 2018. :glamor:

It seems to me that any tensions surrounding this purported brouhaha between M & K would have been as a result of how the preference was put to the bride in the first place. As well, Kate found it necessary to wear an outfit that was nearly white which some people have been re-litigating on social media. :p Much distracting ado about nothing if you ask me. If I were the bride (NOT at a royal wedding of course), I wouldn't care if a sister-in-law wore a light yellow, whitish-looking outfit unless I felt the intention was somehow gnarly and negative, which might or might not be the intention in this case. At the time of the royal wedding, the whiteness of Kate's outfit didn't bother me. Although I did notice that Kate seemed a bit snobby and standoffish toward the other mothers of bridesmaids (and friends of Meghan) when she exited the car with her brood of little bridesmaids. Kate hardly acknowledged the other mothers before climbing the steps of St. George's Chapel. But oh well, what else is new! :COP: In pictures, my gosh, it looks like Kate was hardly wearing tights herself to M&H's royal wedding. :rofl:

#kategate. She did NOT wear white. She wore a canary yellow dress and hat that in the bright lights SEEMED white but indoors looked yellow.

Look at the photo inside the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information